Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Buy and Sell > Hunting Items For Sale

Notices

Old 08-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Default Ruger BX-25 magazines

Has anyone tried the Ruger BX-25 magazines for the 10/22? Do any of the shops carry them in the Edmonton area?
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Illegal in Canada because ruger marketed them as being compatible with the handgun. It's a technicality in the law that magazines which are designed to work in handguns and hold more than 10 rounds are prohibited.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:14 PM

I called Ruger, they said they can't sell it in Canada due to RCMP ruling like the previous poster said. This is depressing, is this permanent or will they change?
The lady in customer Service said they will attempt to pass it again.
Aftermarket magazines are garbage....this Ruger BX 25 is the way to go.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:00 PM

If ruger had not mentioned the handgun on their packaging they would be legal here just like the butler creek ones. But since the packaging states they are designed to work in a handgun and hold more than 10 rounds, they are prohibited unless pinned to 10 rounds.

Ruger could try special Canadian packaging which does not mention the handgun but I have a feeling it's too late and you can't put the Genie back in the bottle.

The law does not say that you cannot have magazines which hold more than 10 rounds, it just says you can't have any which hold more than 10 rounds and are DESIGNED to work in a handgun. If they're designed for a rifle and happen to fit in a handgun then you're legal. This is why the Butler creek ones are okay. They only mention the 10/22 which is a long gun. The fact it fits in the handgun is just a co-incidence as far as the law in concerned.

The ruger mag specifically says on the packaging that it's for the 10/22 and the handgun.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM

Butler creek ones suck. Was using one on the weekend and constant jams. It would have to be positioned perfectly to feed right. Ruger needs to get these legal lol.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM

I'm so angry at RUGER for messing us up. They are not dealing with a Gun loving country when they deal with Canada. They should have been more careful.

I called the Gun shop around here and the rep there told me that the plastic butler creeks jam and that the metal ones are better.

"COLOUR86": was your butler creek plastic or metal?

Regardless whether the BX 25 is legal or not in Canada...its hard not to imagine a lucky guy somewhere in Canada that will be using the BX 25 on his Ruger.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:24 PM

I'm going to keep checking to see if they get anymore in:

http://www.tufferbuffer.com/page.php?id=938

These are the mags:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-mach...022-p-212.html

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
.its hard not to imagine a lucky guy somewhere in Canada that will be using the BX 25 on his Ruger.
The consequences for someone, legally speaking, having in their possession an (obviously) illegally smuggled into Canada PROHIBITED device is really no different than having a prohibited handgun or fully automatic machine gun.

Do not pass go. Lifetime firearms prohibition, minimum jail time.

Sounds like it's worth it for a .22LR mag to me!
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Just a thought.... they will probably encounter this same problem in some US states where 10 is the magic number. Hopefully they repackage/renumber and make it available. Or worst case scenario pin to 10.

'Never trust anyone who says you can't legally own something because they don't like it'. - Me
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM

mine has plastic lips. i know they tend to suck more then the metal ones, but its all i could find at the time.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
I'm going to keep checking to see if they get anymore in:

http://www.tufferbuffer.com/page.php?id=938

These are the mags:

http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-mach...022-p-212.html

Am I reading that correctly $64.99? for an aftermarket magazine?
Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
The consequences for someone, legally speaking, having in their possession an (obviously) illegally smuggled into Canada PROHIBITED device is really no different than having a prohibited handgun or fully automatic machine gun.

I hear you. You'd think there would be less severity...after all it is only a magazine. Even in Canada you can buy those butler creeks without a PAL. What happens to folks that get a 1000 FPS air gun from the U.S. and unknowingly(out of ignorance) bring it to Canada and it is found?
Same goes for the Ruger Bx 25, there has to be some sorry guy that brings it over and maybe caught. Who knows how customs will handle it.

Canada Customs says on their website that it is "handed over to the crown"....no emphasis on other severity's.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1960 View Post
Just a thought.... they will probably encounter this same problem in some US states where 10 is the magic number. Hopefully they repackage/renumber and make it available. Or worst case scenario pin to 10.
That will probably be the case. The rep at Ruger said they will try again to knock on the Canadian door. Hard to see they can't get things right next time around. I firmly believe money makes the world go round. Ruger wants to make money, and the Government wants its economy stimulated and tax revenues...limiting product entering the country only hurts the economy.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:

I'm unfamiliar with the law and handguns...I hate to get off topic..but what constitutes a "prohibited handgun"(other than not having a PAL for Restricted firearms)?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:23 AM

Quote:
What happens to folks that get a 1000 FPS air gun from the U.S. and unknowingly(out of ignorance) bring it to Canada and it is found?
That should be impossible. You have to declare all purchases at the border. They would not allow you to import it as after 500fps, it's considered a firearm. you would need an export permit from the states and an import permit from Canada. This is usually done through a firearms importer. I don't see how this would innocently happen as you would be told at the border.

Most sporting goods stores near the border have a 'do not sell to Canadians' list so it's not very likely you could buy one there to begin with.

However, if you were caught with it in Canada, it's simply an unregistered firearm. If you have your PAL, you're protected by amnesty. At worst, it might be confiscated until you prove it's been registered.

A non-restricted firearm is in NO WAY comparable to a PROHIBITED item such as this magazine.

Quote:
'm unfamiliar with the law and handguns...I hate to get off topic..but what constitutes a "prohibited handgun"(other than not having a PAL for Restricted firearms)?
WHAT?! A Restricted PAL does not allow you to possess a prohibited handgun.

There are three classes of firearms:

-Non restricted
-Restricted
-Prohibited

This magazine falls under the last class and it's completely illegal to own period.

There is one class of license which does allow you to own certain prohibited items but it's only grandfathered in from before the PAL system and if you had it, you would know.

A quick google search will give you all the info you need on those classifications.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Most sporting goods stores near the border have a 'do not sell to Canadians' list so it's not very likely you could buy one there to begin with.-

I hear you. It is very easy to buy a 1000 FPS air gun in New York State. I don't know about out west. They won't ask if you are from Canada. All that is required is you are 18 years of age. I asked at several sporting goods store, and told them I was Canadian, this is a few years back. The customer reps at the sporting goods stores were completely willing to sell me a 1000 FPS air gun. They told me I would be on my own though as far as Canadian laws were concerned, they did not know too much about laws either, as did I.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That should be impossible. You have to declare all purchases at the border. They would not allow you to import it as after 500fps, it's considered a firearm. you would need an export permit from the states and an import permit from Canada. This is usually done through a firearms importer. I don't see how this would innocently happen as you would be told at the border.

Most sporting goods stores near the border have a 'do not sell to Canadians' list so it's not very likely you could buy one there to begin with.

However, if you were caught with it in Canada, it's simply an unregistered firearm. If you have your PAL, you're protected by amnesty. At worst, it might be confiscated until you prove it's been registered.

A non-restricted firearm is in NO WAY comparable to a PROHIBITED item such as this magazine.

WHAT?! A Restricted PAL does not allow you to possess a prohibited handgun.

There are three classes of firearms:

-Non restricted
-Restricted
-Prohibited

This magazine falls under the last class and it's completely illegal to own period.

There is one class of license which does allow you to own certain prohibited items but it's only grandfathered in from before the PAL system and if you had it, you would know.

A quick google search will give you all the info you need on those classifications.

My firearms instructor said you can apply for a prohibited license. But you should wait "many years" before doing so. I think she meant being at least 25 years plus of owning Restricted firearms.
I don't know if there is any truth to her statement.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugerlover View Post
My firearms instructor said you can apply for a prohibited license. But you should wait "many years" before doing so. I think she meant being at least 25 years plus of owning Restricted firearms.
Nope zero truth to her statement.....if you don't have a prohib now....then you can't get one....simple as that. Government's way of slowly banning them completely.....once all the Grandfathered guys pass on there will be no more, cannot even be passed along in an estate unless they are permanently deactivated.

LC
Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Your firearm instructor is an idiot and should find another line of work if he's just going to make stuff up.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Your firearm instructor is an idiot and should find another line of work if he's just going to make stuff up.
She.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nope zero truth to her statement.....if you don't have a prohib now....then you can't get one....simple as that. Government's way of slowly banning them completely.....once all the Grandfathered guys pass on there will be no more, cannot even be passed along in an estate unless they are permanently deactivated.

LC
Just curious, can the prohibited firearms licensed guys use them only at a range or where if at all can they use their prohibited weapons, or is just a "possession" license. How many Prohibited licensed guys are there in Canada?
When did the phase out kick in for the Prohibited firearms(year)?

How about the U.S. do they allow Prohibited firearm possession in certain states?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:14 PM

Okay.

Quickly.

Prohibited in Canada means nothing in the states. They don't have the same classification system. But yes, they certainly do have several handguns with super short barrels available which would be considered Prohibited here.

Regarding use at a range, NO.

Our current state of this classification system began with the PAL system.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Just curious, can the prohibited firearms licensed guys use them only at a range or where if at all can they use their prohibited weapons, or is just a "possession" license. How many Prohibited licensed guys are there in Canada?
When did the phase out kick in for the Prohibited firearms(year)?

How about the U.S. do they allow Prohibited firearm possession in certain states?
Here is the info...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...rohibe-eng.htm

LC
Old 09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Says you can lend your prohibited to a licensed "POL" or "PAL" individual.

Can I sell, give or lend a prohibited firearm to someone else?

You can lend a prohibited firearm to anyone with a valid Possession-Only Licence (POL) or PAL authorizing them to possess that particular category of prohibited firearm. If you lend a firearm, you must lend the registration certificate as well.

You may sell or give a prohibited firearm only to someone with a PAL that is valid for that category of firearm. When a firearm changes owners, it must be registered to the new owner. This can be done by calling 1 800 731-4000 or by submitting form CAFC 681.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 PM

"Says you can lend your prohibited to a licensed "POL" or "PAL" individual."

No, you're not understanding. There are different classes of POL and PAL. If there is a 12.x endorsement on the PAL then they can borrow and buy prohibs. Like we said earlier, this endorsement has to have been grandfathered in.

The operative phrase you're looking for in that text is "You may sell or give a prohibited firearm only to someone with a PAL that is valid for that category of firearm."

"You can lend a prohibited firearm to anyone with a valid Possession-Only Licence (POL) or PAL authorizing them to possess that particular category of prohibited firearm. "

The PAL/POL must have a 12.x designation. Yours doesn't, trust me.

By the way, that comment I said earlier about your PAL instructor needing to find a new line of work is very true. Not only did she make up a bunch of garbage about prohib licensing, but she also failed to teach her student the basics of the law as pertains to classes of firearms and licenses.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
"Says you can lend your prohibited to a licensed "POL" or "PAL" individual."

No, you're not understanding. There are different classes of POL and PAL. If there is a 12.x endorsement on the PAL then they can borrow and buy prohibs. Like we said earlier, this endorsement has to have been grandfathered in.

The operative phrase you're looking for in that text is "You may sell or give a prohibited firearm only to someone with a PAL that is valid for that category of firearm."

"You can lend a prohibited firearm to anyone with a valid Possession-Only Licence (POL) or PAL authorizing them to possess that particular category of prohibited firearm. "

The PAL/POL must have a 12.x designation. Yours doesn't, trust me.

By the way, that comment I said earlier about your PAL instructor needing to find a new line of work is very true. Not only did she make up a bunch of garbage about prohib licensing, but she also failed to teach her student the basics of the law as pertains to classes of firearms and licenses.

I actually had my PAL course done years before going to her class. She taught Hunting and the Non-restricted Firearms course. I had my paperwork for the gun licensing part, but I was present when the other students were taking control of the guns and doing their stance in class. I was there for my Hunters ED course.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM

bx25 yet ?
lol