Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Default fly real tangle

I seem to get my fly line tangled. Am i doing something wrong? I there a better line to work with. I am using the line that came with the Rod. 5/6 weight
Old 08-30-2011, 07:07 PM

Arrow

Is the line getting tangled or the leader/tippet? What rod/reel/line do you have? Since your new to flyfishing and its a 5/6 weight im gonna take a stab at it and guess the Scientific Anglers rod with the Martin reel and floating line you can get at The Fishin Hole for 100 bucks??
Old 08-30-2011, 07:21 PM

your drag is too loose.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Some lines seem to tangle more than others. If your line has a lot of "memory", meaning it retains the tight coils from the reel, then start each fishing session by stretching your line. Just throw a half hitch around something solid with the first couple feet of fly line and walk away letting your line feed out until you are as far as you can cast.

Don't be afraid to put some pressure on it, and hold it tight for 10 seconds or so, then let it slack. Your line should be laying fairly straight with no coils or waves. Then reel it up with a little tension, and go fishing.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 PM

actually its a Fenwick streamer 6 weight. it there a technique of reeling it in so it doesn't tangle. Any reccomendation on what type of line to get for it?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
your drag is too loose.
this, and you are pulling your line off too fast. or you are pulling off too much line.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM

sometimes I pull alot of line off 1st and then cast it out
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 PM

next time i see you out i will help you to see whats wrong man, im deleting my account thunder, seeya soon buddy.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:20 PM

three things, tighten the drag until you need to use it, pull the line out slowly and when reeling in the line run it threw your fingers to keep it tight, unless of course you have a fish on, my line is very expensive and i find that its tangles also. this is common problem for knew fisherman, but once you get it under control it quickly turns into an old forgotten problem.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:26 PM

too bad 2 see you gone from here, just because of a few negative people. Hope to see you at a lake sometime.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:33 PM

Try adding tension to your line as you reel it in. I've had the problem with numerous reels and that seems to fix it. Large arbor reels always seem to stay away from this problem.

Oh and maybe slow down the speed that you're pulling the line from the reel. You're out fishing, not in a RUSH.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
next time i see you out i will help you to see whats wrong man, im deleting my account thunder, seeya soon buddy.
off AO?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Banned

When I reel in, I do a thing with my pinky that leads the line onto the reel like a levelwind baitcaster. move it from side to side so it doesn't create a snowdrift shape on one side then all of a sudden drop into a lower part and have a line avalanche,,,, I can't think of a better way to write it. Even when a fish is on, I pull a bit of line by hand then reel in the slack (pending the fish) and just instinctively do this movement.