Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM

Default the best walleye lake in alberta

What is in your guys opinion the best walleye lake in Alberta?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:52 PM

Default Calling, of course.

To many great days with too many big fish to vote otherwise.

Drewski
Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 PM

I think Pigeon. Last year we were having 75-100 walleye days. Great for kids!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:20 PM

A better question would be what lake is best for big walleye

AKA MAVERICK
Old 01-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Default Best Lake, big....

If you do some work try Chin Coulee or Traverse.
Chin may be the next record fish according to some of the fish bio guys.
Netting and catching shows it has many monsters as well as many smaller ones. Traverse has been known for biggies as well. We fish CV more regular being closer to home but we go to Chine when we want to catch many and monsters.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 PM

Default Chin and Travers

Caught a 9 1/2 pounder out of Travers in 02. I fished Chin for the first time at the tourney last summer and there were some hogs pulled out. I finished in 11th place. We caught well over 60 fish each day. We just couldn't get into the bigger ones. One more legal would have taken us to at least 8th place. The bad news is that I had one massive take. Pulled the hook straight on me after not gaining any ground on him in 3 or 4 minutes. I mean not even a foot did he give me. Who knows where that fish would have put us.
I will also put in a good word for Crawling. I have a hard time catching as many quality fish in other lakes as I do at Crawling. Having days in excess of 60 or 70 fish isn't uncommon. Many of these fish are breaking the 25 inch mark each day also.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:32 PM

Marie has done me well

Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Sherburne holds BIG walley as well they are not as common for chin though.

1 more vote for chin
Old 01-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Sylvan is starting to become a good Walleye fishery, we had awesome days out at Pigeon but Sylvan wasn't to far behind
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 AM

Default tobin

cant beat the walleye in tobin lake saskatchewan,,ooops went back and read the title in alberta,.oh well its still a awsome walleye lake

Last edited by gunslinger; 01-15-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Shrubs

In my experience North Wabasca. Fished it a few times and always good numbers and quality. Wadlin lake up north used to be real good until it overpopulated. These are just waters from my experience I haven't fished a lot of the more popular walleye holes.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Banned

Being a Sask boy, and doing most of my fishing there, I've only ever fished Crawling Valley, but I have to say, it's an impressive lake.

Generally good weather, lots of structure, nice weed edges, good pike spots, and some truly great walleye fishing. My wife and I had days of well over 75-100 fish each. It was better than the fly in trips I paid big $$$$ for in northern Sask. For action filled days or family fishing, it's hard to beat. The only downside is, I've never caught anything over 5-6lbs.

For the chance at a true trophy that isn't a 2 day drive away (Tobin), IMHO, you can't beat Last Mountain. Fishing "The Mountain" in the fall is paradise, every bite could be a 14-15lb walleye, and if you get on the right spot, most bites will be 7-8lbs+, and the action will be steady. You even get some real nice pike, 15-20lb'ers, thrown in to keep you honest.

Waxy
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 AM

Lesser Slave. Limit was put down to one this year, but you can wear yourself out catching them. Lots of huge ones - you need to target them specifically. Great big pike and perch as well
Old 01-15-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
cant beat the walleye in tobin lake saskatchewan,,ooops went back and read the title in alberta,.oh well its still a awsome walleye lake
2 For Tobin Alberta should have bought it before the Sask Boom started
Old 01-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

Its not uncommon to pull 9 pounders out of Lesser Slave all tho it is getting more difficult the last few years.. Winifred lake still holds some awesome Walleye and putting a dozen a day in the boat in the 5# -8# range is not that uncommon but getting harder.. Touchwood lake a non retention lake for Walleye holds some absolute hogs its not uncommon to pull a 8# fish out of her,, and be able to put 50 + fish a day in the boat,, not sure why its non retention would have to ask the experts... But the ultimate A.B. lake for hogs would have to be Seibert,, you may not be able to put a 100 fish in the boat in a day but you can bring up a dozen in the 4# - 8# range heck I've done it through the ice... Give me a northern lake any day,, just better healthier looking fish...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Big Eyes Ab.

My vote in the south would have to be chin , 2 years ago we fished almost every res. in the south and the #'s and the size were the best in chin ,9.2 lbs .biggest
I have 20 plus walleyes over eight out of man/sask biggest 14.9 out of Pine Falls Man. Havent done much north of calgary , only really started fishing eyes 2 years ago here in Alberta , looking forward to a few road trips
in 08....Chin was like Lake-O- Woods only never got lost....
Old 01-15-2008, 12:00 PM

It's not a lake, But the South Sask River produces some monsters as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Walleye

Whats wrong with Calling or Orloff??? I have Fished both on good days and I have to admit I have come off those lakes damn near a cripple from all the action. But I tell you I was a happy cripple
T-Bone
Old 01-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Wish i could put in a vote on one of these gem lakes but unfortunatly I've never fished any of them except Lesser slave lake. I'm a little surprised that Pinehurst (I've seen some pigs outa there) hasn't come up but i guess Siebert and Touchwood likely have it beat. I'ma have to say that the North Sask is the best wally fishery in my own experience but i don't have a big boat to give the big lakes a try. Now the question is where is this chin???? LOL
Old 01-15-2008, 03:24 PM

By far the best in june is Winifred lake and the sand river. Hit it right and you will nail walleye all in the 4-11 pound range and all day long. Glade its C&R.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM

I would have to agree with you T-Bone, I quaded in to Orloff for the day and the walleye fishing was awesome once we found what they wanted. (average size was 23 to 25 inches) I want to go again one day but am waiting for a dryer year to quad across from Fawcett.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

love pigeon for quantity of catches. not so much for the size. if i go for size, i go to the North Saskatchewan River
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 PM

Default Walleye

Hey Chuck
You can actually drive in from athabasca park your truck and then quad or argo in as I do. I've got a sweet spot on that lake that has produced for me every time i"ve been there.I've also picked up the odd perch on a bottom bouncer. There is another spot over by the island that is good for large jack. The lake itself used to be fly in only. I've fished orloff for over 12 yrs and have yet to find a better all around lake. It produces well and if you know whats up you can get some good wallies out of there. My largest was 10 pounds 4 ounces and that was last year in rainy weather. In fact we were rained off the lake 4 times in 2 days but it was worth getting wet. We have also seen bears deer and moose. All in all its a great area.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Wish i could put in a vote on one of these gem lakes but unfortunatly I've never fished any of them except Lesser slave lake. I'm a little surprised that Pinehurst (I've seen some pigs outa there) hasn't come up but i guess Siebert and Touchwood likely have it beat. I'ma have to say that the North Sask is the best wally fishery in my own experience but i don't have a big boat to give the big lakes a try. Now the question is where is this chin???? LOL

Down around Taber AB. Part of the St. Mary Irrigation District.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:07 PM

Default yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
2 For Tobin Alberta should have bought it before the Sask Boom started
lol i did, i loved it so much there i bought a house right on the resort there.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:30 PM
jrs

I'm not a huge walleye angler but have had some luck in the Chin system with decent eyes (25-27''). I've never got a real big one. Most of the big eyes I've seen caught came from the South Saskatchewan River system. The spots i fish the walleye have averaged around 4-5 lbs and 26-27'' over the past 4 to 5 years. I've had a few big ones to shore with my netting being the missing component of the catch. I'll have to try a few more of these mentioned lakes in the future, they're a fun fish to catch and new lakes are always fun.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Lotsa good ones in mcgregor and travers.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 PM

I used to get large walleye from pinehurst lake before they closed mud bay and before the spring closure. Had 30-40 fish days on wolf this year and the biggest being 28.5". But my most succesfull days have been on lake newell, I don't catch lots but they are big. If you want to include rivers my biggest walleyes have come from the south sask. river.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img003.jpg (41.9 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00622.JPG (124.5 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg img007.jpg (20.0 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00526.JPG (114.3 KB, 197 views)
Old 01-15-2008, 08:13 PM
TundraBuck

Yep Sylvan is turning into a magnificent walleye fishery, a neighbour of ours is a walleye nut and he's put us on 100 fish each days at Sylvan, Pine, and of course Pigeon.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 PM

Default Logs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
lol i did, i loved it so much there i bought a house right on the resort there.
I heard Tobin has logs in it?