Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-01-2011, 08:45 AM

Default Glassing With a Rifle Scope

After discussing the recent accidental shooting that was mentioned on the forum, myself and some co-workers ended up discussing the issue of using rifle scopes for glassing. I was shocked to learn that some people consider it totally acceptable to use their riflescope for glassing, and to identify unknown objects. One person went as far as to state that if you aren't wearing orange, it's your fault if you have a rifle pointed at you by someone using their scope to identify you. How do you feel about this issue?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:56 AM

If you can afford a rifle and pay for all the other things to go hunting....you can afford another peice of glass (ie. binos, spotting scope).

I mean you can get reasonably decent Binos for around $200-300 dollars....IMHO they are as important a piece of equipment as the $200-300 boots on your feet.

To say its ok to point a firearm at anyone is insane....whats the first rule we ALL LEARN as children or adults....treat all firearms as loaded and do not point a firearm at anyone....

nuff said....

LC
Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
One person went as far as to state that if you aren't wearing orange, it's your fault if you have a rifle pointed at you by someone using their scope to identify you. How do you feel about this issue?
That person is the typical irresponsible idiot who refuses to take responsibility for his actions and lack of safety ethics it requires to identify a target before pointing a rifle. Placing blame on the person he's pointing at because they are not wearing orange is a major fail. The onus is on the person with the rifle to make sure his target is not a human before pointing a gun. Pointing a gun at a human is a criminal offence. There are tons of people out in the bush who do not wear orange in hunting season, fisherman, surveyors, loggers, horseback riders, hikers, oil field workers, farmers, etc etc. He's probably the type who when he sees a hunter wearing orange he points the rifle at them anyway just to see what they are up too.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you can afford a rifle and pay for all the other things to go hunting....you can afford another peice of glass (ie. binos, spotting scope).

To say its ok to point a firearm at anyone is insane....whats the first rule we ALL LEARN as children or adults....treat all firearms as loaded and do not point a firearm at anyone....

nuff said....

LC
Uhmmmm....what he said.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:16 AM

Default scoping

Using your scope to identify a target violates so many firearm safety rules, and is so blatantly dangerous that it should be a no-brainer. Unfortunately some "hunters" believe it to be an acceptable practice, and in some cases standard operating procedure. I am actually surprised that there are so few people accidentally shot each season.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
I am actually surprised that there are so few people accidentally shot each season.
Apparently they missed the "don't point a firearm at a person lesson" but aced the "keep your finger off the trigger" portion....

Numbskulls scoping people are like bamboo shoots under my fingernails....honestly no one could ever come up with one good reason how this is acceptable....unless a guy is wearing an elk suit in the bush and you have an elk tag....

LC
Old 10-01-2011, 09:29 AM

Not only is scoping dangerous and stupid and completely unacceptable, but really, as far as being effective goes it is inferior to use a 'monocular' scope when you should be using a good binocular which generally will have better FOV anyway....Could never understand people scoping the bush!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Banned

So many adjectives can apply to it, stupid, insane, idiotic, irresponsible and the list goes on. But let's not forget ILLEGAL. In any circumstances, pointing a firearm at another person can and should land the fool in jail.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Apparently they missed the "don't point a firearm at a person lesson" but aced the "keep your finger off the trigger" portion....

Numbskulls scoping people are like bamboo shoots under my fingernails....honestly no one could ever come up with one good reason how this is acceptable....unless a guy is wearing an elk suit in the bush and you have an elk tag....

LC
I often use my rifle scope to sight out animals from my truck, when hiking, boating, quadding and particularly when sitting in a stand to see who a person is walking across a field, or down a road etc.

I should mention, however, that my rifle scope is not attached to a rifle -- It is just a loose scope that I use for spotting
Old 10-01-2011, 09:34 AM

I don't mind, as long as I'm the guy doing the pointing/looking. .
I think we all know the anwser to this one.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 AM

A rifle scope simply does not have the eye relief that a set of binoculars does.
Aside from that, I have a very hard time believing that a person can EVER be mistaken for an animal, even without a scope by someone who is level headed.
There are far too many people out there hunting who have too little self confidence, no expertise, and no actual experience , yet spout crap like " If the person isn't wearing orange it's their own fault"!!

EH11, you need to give those idjits a " I'm a Moron " write up!!
I throw them into the same category as a person who shoots with someone in their line of fire......
Cat
Old 10-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
So many adjectives can apply to it, stupid, insane, idiotic, irresponsible and the list goes on. But let's not forget ILLEGAL. In any circumstances, pointing a firearm at another person can and should land the fool in jail.
I was going to go on a major rant for a paragraph or two, but Gitrdun ^ pretty much sums it up in two short sentences.

I know some folks don't like to fumble with binoculars while hunting ... they find them awkward, and slow to get out of the case, etc.. I have a good set of binoculars that I use for hunting, but sometimes while hunting 'light', I carry a monocular instead ... the optics and view aren't quite as good, but it seems to work well enough, and it's very quick and easy to use . . .

If you know you've been 'glassed' by someone using a scope on a rifle, don't let it go ... get the Law involved!

TF
Old 10-01-2011, 06:29 PM

IF it weren't for people, the word "stupid" wouldn't exist..........

I am never surprised anymore. "Surprise" is an event that I do not believe I will ever experience again.

I EXPECT stupidity. Scoping someone is just asking for a bullet..........
Old 10-01-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:

I mean you can get reasonably decent Binos for around $200-300 dollars....IMHO they are as important a piece of equipment as the $200-300 boots on your feet.

To say its ok to point a firearm at anyone is insane....whats the first rule we ALL LEARN as children or adults....treat all firearms as loaded and do not point a firearm at anyone....nuff said....

LC
Agree
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
That person is the typical irresponsible idiot who refuses to take responsibility for his actions and lack of safety ethics it requires to identify a target before pointing a rifle. Placing blame on the person he's pointing at because they are not wearing orange is a major fail. The onus is on the person with the rifle to make sure his target is not a human before pointing a gun. Pointing a gun at a human is a criminal offence. There are tons of people out in the bush who do not wear orange in hunting season, fisherman, surveyors, loggers, horseback riders, hikers, oil field workers, farmers, etc etc. He's probably the type who when he sees a hunter wearing orange he points the rifle at them anyway just to see what they are up too.
X2 Well said. I think Bushrat sums it up perfectly.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Banned

first off my grandpa was killed by his buddy hunting who was (only trying to glass him and identify him coming up a cutline) but i have a good freind who i hunt with that glassed me with his rifle scope prolly 50 times last year.. i never said much but it always erkd me... . i told him at the end of last year to buy a set of nocs and smarten the hell up. i got sick of looking through my nocs at him only to see a 7mmrum pointed straight at me. he did it again first day of hunting season this year and when we met up on the line i was ready to fist fight him. people die this way... dont point your rifle at anyone!!! no matter what!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitwound View Post
first off my grandpa was killed by his buddy hunting who was (only trying to glass him and identify him coming up a cutline) but i have a good freind who i hunt with that glassed me with his rifle scope prolly 50 times last year.. i never said much but it always erkd me... . i told him at the end of last year to buy a set of nocs and smarten the hell up. i got sick of looking through my nocs at him only to see a 7mmrum pointed straight at me. he did it again first day of hunting season this year and when we met up on the line i was ready to fist fight him. people die this way... dont point your rifle at anyone!!! no matter what!!!
You let somebody, a 'good friend' scope you 50 times and you didn't beat their damn head in with a rock??? You must believe the angels are ready and waiting to take you home, and are looking forward to it...!!

Anybody who scopes me goes from the 'good friend' list right down to the 'not gonna make my wife a widow' list!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exitwound View Post
good post..... using a scope as a spotting scope or binos is plain stupidity
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
You let somebody, a 'good friend' scope you 50 times and you didn't beat their damn head in with a rock??? You must believe the angels are ready and waiting to take you home, and are looking forward to it...!!

Anybody who scopes me goes from the 'good friend' list right down to the 'not gonna make my wife a widow' list!
+1 I won't hunt with someone that cares so little about my safety.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
+1 I won't hunt with someone that cares so little about my safety.
I had a friend 'flash' his muzzle at me once, ONCE, last year, as we were back at the truck and unloading. He was a rookie, first time hunting, but my knees 'felt' that .30-06 flash by them....I cringed, but told him to keep that thing pointed at the ground while unloading. He was casual about it, and I won't go out with him again, period. There were 4 of us out in that party, and my regular 'best' hunting partner (who invited the 'flasher' to the party) had a stern word for him afterward. If this person had ever 'scoped me', I would have given him the butt of my .300 in his face. Pain is a great teacher. Safey with a loaded firearm can never be over emphasized!!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

I already got into trouble answering that question here...

Don't point your rifle at me and you and your next of kin...won't have to find out how I feel about it.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:08 PM

Default Scoped

Happened to me back the first year blaze orange requirement was lifted (82/83 I think). I was out in Mclean Creek area on a cutline. I saw something large moving about 300 yards down the cutline and took a look through my binos. It was two guys dressed in camo ponchos. As I watched them one of the raised his rifle and scoped me.

I was dressed head to toe in blaze orange and standing against a snow bank.

I step off to the side and continued down the cut towards these two clowns, as they were moving up the cut towards me.

I got within about 5 feet of them and informed them that if they ever pointed a rifle at me again I would probably shoot them. I was younger then and a little more than unhappy.

They appologized profusely, and the guy who did it stammered something about his finger was not on the trigger, like I knew that, to top it off he had a pair of binos around his neck. Lazy just plain and simple lazy.

I'll never forget that and hopefully they did not either.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:02 AM

Topic has been beaten to death over the years. Wrong on so many levels. Nuff said.