Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Default Dogs and Coyotes

A question for anybody that has ever seen coyotes attack a large breed dog.

The last few times visiting my parents who live on an acreage in nowhere British Columbia, I have been sipping morning coffee to watch coyotes come right into the yard and start howling at... or stalking in on my two labs.

They have lots of experience with roosters, but none with Wild E Coyote. Typically, I run outside and the Yotes take off. I am worried one day I won't notice them come into the yard and/or I will let the dogs out in the middle of the night and they will be out there waiting for them.

So my question is... a lab doesn't have a killer instinct however can usually hold their own in a fight. When you pit a 80 pound lab against 2, 30-40 pound yotes... How does it usually end?

My immediate thought is the Coyotes would rip the dog to pieces. Has anybody seen it first hand? Do coyotes bite to kill when they fight?

The next question is, aside from lead poisoning the yote... any suggestions how to teach your dog not to take the bait and run into a fight it can't win?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Larger dogs have been attacked by coyotes in Nose Hill Park in Calgary. One lady I met was terrified when a coyote showed up as she said they have very sharp ripping teeth. She had to take her dog to the vet for many stiches. Smaller dogs have been killed by coyotes. Coyotes play this game where one coyote will lure the dog into chasing him and leads him right to a pack of waiting coyotes. One fellow in the park had a large dog that killed a coyote. He reported it to bylaw who came and picked up the dead coyote and then gave the fellow a life time ban for that dog in the dog parks. It's O.K for coyotes to kill your dog but not O.K for your dog to kill a coyote. My brother who has labs on a small acerage will put the dogs in the garage at night if the coyotes are coming too close.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:34 PM

I've had the same issue on my quarter now for awhile. I have two large mutts that are always being harassed by them. It's always only one that comes out of the bush barking, yipping, etc but there are several around as I here them howling all the time. The dogs will chase him back into the bush then stop and bark and then the bugger just comes back. It's like they are teasing the dogs or trying to lure them in the bush. As soon as I make an appearance with the 22-250 they immediately run. I actually just set up a bait at the back end of my quarter a few days ago hoping to deter them with some lead!!
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Default No fair fight

Domestic dogs rarely if ever fight to the death. One or the other combatant wil go into submissive posture when they have had enough which should signal an end to the fight if two dogs are going at it. I beleive the coyote will kill the dog when this happens in a fight as they are not trying to establish who is the dominant dog in the pack but rather who eats who.

We are in the country and while we have never witnessed a dog/coyote fight there are never any stray dogs around? neighbors called me a couple weeks ago to report a lost black lab in their yard that spooked when they went outside. None of us have seen that dog since that night.

I have heard of german shepherds, collies and irish setters being lured by one coyote and having to fight 6 of them when they followed the single animal out of the security of their own yard. It is not a fair fight so lab has no chance.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Where I grew up in old glenora in Edmonton we lived along groat road ravine and one year the coyotes were thick many cats and small dogs went missing.
Once a coyote came up our long front driveway about half way my lab knew better and didn't approach the dog which was odd cause any other dog would have been greated (nicely).

It was about a week later we had a lady jogging infront of our house and two coyotes attacked her golden retriever. The dog lived but only because a passer by stopped and had to scare the dogs off.

As for the yotes around the acerage ....lead poison them before your dog gets it.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:45 PM

It really depends on the dog Its self. i personally have two german shepherds on male and one female. My male in his younger day was around 110 and just solid, he has had may encounters with coyotes not more then two at a time that i have ever seen. he has killed one that i know of for sure and roughed up many more. he would end up with a few minor cuts here and there but nothing major enough to be taken to the vets. where i live there are a lot of feedlots surrounding me and given that the coyotes have plenty of food from the feed lots. They are bigger then most i have seen. Don't get me wrong i don't encourage my dogs to fight, but they know to hold there own
Old 12-28-2011, 02:52 PM

When sister in law watched our house 2 weeks ago she said 2 yotes were at our fence trying to get our little one.(Shiba Inu) And weren't scared or anything, our Pyrenees was going crazy trying to get out to them. She had to throw a piece of wood at them to get them to run.

Cut to last week when I heard our little one growling outside(She has a different bark to when something is really there) I grabbed shotgun and a couple shells thinking they'd be long gone. They weren't. Unfortunately I didn't grab buckshot so only scared the crap out of them. Haven't been back though.

Usually always 1 lure and bunch back in bushes, but these two are alone as it's empty where they were. Our golden and shiba would probably be lunch easily. Neighbor has a friend who has sheep and their one pyr ripped up two coyotes in the middle of the night and who knows how many there were.

Also at neighbors for boxing day, his brother mentioned coyotes killed his llama over the summer too, where the llama used to keep them out.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
When sister in law watched our house 2 weeks ago she said 2 yotes were at our fence trying to get our little one.(Shiba Inu) And weren't scared or anything, our Pyrenees was going crazy trying to get out to them. She had to throw a piece of wood at them to get them to run.

Cut to last week when I heard our little one growling outside(She has a different bark to when something is really there) I grabbed shotgun and a couple shells thinking they'd be long gone. They weren't. Unfortunately I didn't grab buckshot so only scared the crap out of them. Haven't been back though.

Usually always 1 lure and bunch back in bushes, but these two are alone as it's empty where they were. Our golden and shiba would probably be lunch easily. Neighbor has a friend who has sheep and their one pyr ripped up two coyotes in the middle of the night and who knows how many there were.

Also at neighbors for boxing day, his brother mentioned coyotes killed his llama over the summer too, where the llama used to keep them out.
What was stopping the pyr?

I have two female great pyrs. My neighbors all joke they haven't seen a yote around in years. Some truth to it too.

When you do hear a yote howling, my big dumb galloot dogs, quickly turn into quiet, stealthy hunters.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Usually one coyote won't risk its own safety with a dog of its size or larger, they will run and try to get your dog to chase it back to the pack. Not sure how brazen two coyotes would be together, guess it would depend on how hungry they are?

I haven't seen a coyote attack a large dog before, but do know several people with Pyrs that guard their acreages and when the Pyrs get a coyote it is pretty torn up(granted there is a large size difference). I would imagine a coyote would bite and try to pull a dog to the ground so that they could get to the underbelly, and neck and then try to immobilize or slow the dog with some serious holes/lacerations. If attacking in a pair the "free" coyote would probably attack the dog while the dog is defending/attacking against the other coyote.

The biggest risk is your dog chasing them and having more coyotes waiting.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
Coyotes play this game where one coyote will lure the dog into chasing him and leads him right to a pack of waiting coyotes.
Yep, this has happened around where I live. Neighbours warned us when we moved here that they've had larger breeds (not too sure on the breed it was anymore) killed by packs of coyotes.

We've always kept our German Shepherd in the garage at night. Two mornings in the past 10 years we've actually witnessed coyotes trying to lure her.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emo View Post
Usually one coyote won't risk its own safety with a dog of its size or larger, they will run and try to get your dog to chase it back to the pack. Not sure how brazen two coyotes would be together, guess it would depend on how hungry they are?

I haven't seen a coyote attack a large dog before, but do know several people with Pyrs that guard their acreages and when the Pyrs get a coyote it is pretty torn up(granted there is a large size difference). I would imagine a coyote would bite and try to pull a dog to the ground so that they could get to the underbelly, and neck and then try to immobilize or slow the dog with some serious holes/lacerations. If attacking in a pair the "free" coyote would probably attack the dog while the dog is defending/attacking against the other coyote.

The biggest risk is your dog chasing them and having more coyotes waiting.
I don't know. I think if a pyr went after two yotes, when he had one of them pinned, I think the other yote would run off like a scared girl.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM

Sneeze, I think you should fear for the safety of your dogs. These coyotes don't wanna play and they know what they are doing....and they are very persistent. Sorry to say, but if this keeps up, one day.....
Old 12-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Sorry to say, but if this keeps up, one day.....
I am of the same opinion. To finish your sentence: one day.... I am going to buy a fox pro.

Most of what I thought has been confirmed. I think these coyotes have learned how to kill acreage dogs and are trying really hard to kill mine. My Labs would last about 1 minute to a seasoned, territorial, proven killer coyote.

Now I have to break the young male out of charging after them like an idiot.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Sneeze, I think you should fear for the safety of your dogs. These coyotes don't wanna play and they know what they are doing....and they are very persistent. Sorry to say, but if this keeps up, one day.....
Coyotes play for keeps. Average dog just doesn't have that drive in a fight. I have seen dogs actually playing with coyotes, though. Not worth taking a chance on, if you value your dog.

Grizz
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM

My in-laws have a dairy farm in Ont., their pet Airedale is fine around the cows so he is free to hang by himself in the yard...not any more, found him in a barn with 50 coyote bites and barely hanging to life. He survived. They saw 5 yotes in the yard the other day....time for me and the .22-250 to make a trip up there!
Coyotes kill deer, caribou etc..Labs would not be hard to kill or maim. Watch out for your buddies!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned

So I guess it is now true that coyotes will gang up on your dog.

A couple of years ago when I stated this fact I was told that I was full of xxxx.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post

best bet is to turn the pyrenese loose they are bred to kill coyotes and are natural protectors
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
My in-laws have a dairy farm in Ont., their pet Airedale is fine around the cows so he is free to hang by himself in the yard...not any more, found him in a barn with 50 coyote bites and barely hanging to life. He survived. They saw 5 yotes in the yard the other day....time for me and the .22-250 to make a trip up there!
Coyotes kill deer, caribou etc..Labs would not be hard to kill or maim. Watch out for your buddies!
They kill people too...shoot every one you can...and then shoot them again just for good measure.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Gone Hunting

No doubt coyotes will attack. lure, fight and kill a dog. But I've seen some dogs lay a beating on coyotes.
The pyrenees are awesome. They are used for bear dogs on the cutblocks when the sheep are in there razing in the summer. They will run off most predators including Grizzlies.
I'm surprised to hear they killed a llama. I've seen what happens to coyotes when a llama gets a chance to offer a n attitude adjustment. I saw a llama try to kick a coyote through a chain link fence. The coyote ended up with strained muscles.

I have friends who use dogs for decoys when calling coyotes. Very effective. The dog will run the coyote. When they get out a few hundred yards the dog is called back with a whistle. The coyote follows. This may happen a few times before the coyote gets shot, but get shot he will.

If you get the chance kill the coyotes. Even if they don't kill your dogs, they can sure cause lots of damage and vet charges.

To stop you dogs from chasing begins at the end of six foot leash. OR use an e collar and do some aversion training.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 PM

Coyotes are a reall problem anywhere with domestic animals Ie Small and larger dogs,, ive watched them come into yards and try to take pups or smaller pups when the bigger dogs arent around,, most farmers in this area have went to the great pyrenese for coyote control, my buddy runs 2 hybred wolfs and are deadly on coyotes and ive seen 5 or 6 try to takle them and come out on the losing end badly,,My borders ive trained over the years to do the same thing,, 1 coyote is no contest 2 coyotes they have to work for it with one dog,,but with 2 borders, 3 or 4 coyotes dont stand a chance, it is unbelieveable to watch how the pair of them behave around the coyotes,, ive never seen anything like it other than the wolf hybreds ,, ,they are deadly. there is alot of the yotes around this year,, i drug a calf out day before yesterday out of the feedlot,, and the next morning there was just hair and bone left,, 600lbs gone,, so am setting up shooting baits from the front porch,, my buddy has taken 20 off his baits,, and 9 in one night,, so they are thick for sure
Old 12-28-2011, 06:27 PM

Ive seen a few packs of 12 coyotes. Don't matter how big or tough the dog is the coyote will win. My folks lab has been tore up twice before she learned to hide. A bait only seems to bring in more coyotes to the area. Fox pro and 22-250 is best solution
Old 12-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
Ive seen a few packs of 12 coyotes. Don't matter how big or tough the dog is the coyote will win. My folks lab has been tore up twice before she learned to hide. A bait only seems to bring in more coyotes to the area. Fox pro and 22-250 is best solution

Not exactly true. I know two red heelers who kill several coyotes a year.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Not exactly true. I know two red heelers who kill several coyotes a year.
Your very right Redfrog healers will do a number on coyotes as well
Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM

Not saying a dog or two cant kill coyotes but sooner or later they will get into too big a pack.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Gone Hunting

CTaylor. I agree ,even one coyote can kill a dog, because the dogs usually do not have the kill instinct. Most will fight to submission like WW.Birds said.
Every once in a while a dog comes along and has what it takes. These dogs often are used in a pack as a kill dog. Greyhounds usually, but airedales and others as well. I have lab here that would kill a coyote I'm sure, but he would get bit and injured in the process. He would win because he is 90+ lbs on the scale and has no quit in him. He is the exception when it comes to labs.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 PM

also, besides the fact they work together... coyote's lung capacity and stamina can make almost any fit dog's tongue drag. I think they're slow methodical killers, stressing and gassing out [UFC term] bigger or faster opponents. I drove up and scared a coyote away from my neighbors rotti at first light last summer. Coyote hauled balls over half mile outa sight fresh as a daisy...rotti was lathered up and staggered his way back to they're house...chain
Old 12-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Default Coyote vs dogs

Yes it is possible that one off these days they will attack and kill your dogs. I don't know the rules in BC but around here I would see them coyotes in my scope with a very friendly 22.250 barking back at them. Happy hunting take them down n good luck. I think your dog are getting into the coyotes territory
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrider2011 View Post
Your very right Redfrog healers will do a number on coyotes as well
I remember 3 healers on my relatives ranch that actually had some sort of a system for coyotes. The normal coloured healer would actually howl, yes howl, when the evening or morning calling by coyotes would begin . She would act as the bait. Her two red coloured sisters were always not far behind.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:30 PM

I have a lab, he would be done quickly if he ever got into a life or death struggle, he's just way to nice, great around kids and fit as a fiddle but just too darn nice, get a great pyr or 2, I have seen 2 of them in action and they keep the yotes down pretty good. I would feel confidant putting a 2 pyrs against 5-6 yotes, the pyrs might loose a little hair over the ordeal but there would likely be a few dead yotes on scene. If you add 2 pyres to your passel of dogs you're likely to save money on ammo for the yote issue and your lab would likely be safe, of course what you save in ammo you have dog food...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:33 PM

We had a german shepard great dane cross (140 lbs or so) on the farm growing up.

Coyotes....not a chance.

Max would watch from the edge of the pasture in the evenings and let them get a certain distance from cover then put the diesel down.

Caught them, bite on the neck with a few rolls or shakes...game over.

Pretty cool actually.