Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2012, 06:10 PM

Default Negativity on this forum

The negativity,name calling on AO lately seems to be at an all time high I don't know if it has always been this way or if everyone has the winter blues or what the hell it is.We are all hunters fisherman or trappers,we should be sticking together whether we agree on a certain topic or not could we all PLEASE try to make a point of trying to cut out the name calling etc.It is quite alright to disagree with something but have some respect for your fellow outdoorsman.Maybe I am nuts just a thought(I myself have been a little negative lately and it will stop)
Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 PM

Its been like this for a long time. Usually in the fishing section.

People get bored, go on the internet and argue... Thats what its seems to be for anyway
Old 01-29-2012, 06:16 PM

It happens on every board. Interweb tough guys and know-it-alls

Best thing is to ignore them and not take the bait.

Bobloblaw is a maroon
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM

shack nasties, every forum out there suffers from it in the off season, alot of people only post in the off season with little to contribute, everyone is guilty of it at one time or another. Anonymity fuels ones ability to trash everyone and everything.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Old 01-29-2012, 06:27 PM

Seems like the go to insult is to call someone a lib. or ndp. lol Can't get someone to see it your way, relax it's an outdoor forum and we all have different sets of values.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 PM

different values no problem it is the your a moron your a f'n idiot etc that kinda sucks
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I don't agree with this at all
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM

I argue hard and take no prisoners, but some times it seems that following a logical discussion and making non-childish non- emotional arguments is too much for some and they revert to insults when their arguments fail.....either that or some other emotional appeal.

Especially when they get intellectually dishonest with their argument zu h that they are trying to fool even themselves.

Then I take the gloves off and Let them have both barrels of the word play.....they drew first blood...so to say (just some fun statement for me)

But outright name calling (unless Liberal is name calling) or direct insults is where I try to draw the line. But I do know one member who is Famous for "your an idiot" when he starts loosing an argument.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 01-29-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:54 PM

Really ?? I have never noticed negative attitudes on this forum.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM

Me either. Not at all.

(Unless you talk about anything other than guns, fishing, ammo, hunting or rednecks.)

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM

Group hug
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Don't hate the player, hate the game!

General Discussion is a snake pit. Lots of battle hardened folks there eager to pick apart weak arguments. It's kinda fun, don't ever take it personal.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM

I lost my mind for a second,but only once.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Default Negativity

I know my join date won't show it but I've watched this board for probably 10 years give or take. Although it sure has got a lot busier I don't think much has changed really. Some are positive, some are negative, people come and people go. I think the problem is sometimes the negatives ones also happen to be the ones that s***disturb the most. Kinda like a squeaky wheel.

Best a person can do is try and take the positive aspects out of it and ignore the rest. There is a lot of good information shared on here.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Default negi

what would it be like if it was really cold out?
Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
The negativity,name calling on AO lately seems to be at an all time high I don't know if it has always been this way or if everyone has the winter blues or what the hell it is.We are all hunters fisherman or trappers,we should be sticking together whether we agree on a certain topic or not could we all PLEASE try to make a point of trying to cut out the name calling etc.It is quite alright to disagree with something but have some respect for your fellow outdoorsman.Maybe I am nuts just a thought(I myself have been a little negative lately and it will stop)
No worries ... we're all guilty of it, to one degree or another, from time to time. Guess you could say that it's part of the territory here, as it is in most other forums. As Sneeze just said; "don't ever take it personal".

It seems to be the worst here after hunting season is over, and it doesn't start to let-up untill after spring thaw.

Keep yer chin up ... spring is only three months away

TF
Old 01-29-2012, 07:28 PM

For all you severely positive people.

For all my negative friends who see things in a different light..

The positives think they can just fix things by telling us to

But we know, if you smile for too long, or too much
thenis gonna happen sooner than later.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBT View Post
It happens on every board. Interweb tough guys and know-it-alls

Best thing is to ignore them and not take the bait.

Bobloblaw is a maroon
Close, but you're WAAAYYY off.
I am actually an 'ultra-maroon', dipstick!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:36 PM

I think some people are just thin skinned and get offended easily.

Others have thicker skin and can take more..
Old 01-29-2012, 07:46 PM

Default the winter grumpys

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
this seems to happen just about every year at this time I dont care how easy of a winter we have had it seems that just about every winter the guys seem to get a bit grumpy and snippy winter blues nothing to hunt big game wise less sun It affects us all and proably will never change its just the winter blues giver a 2 months when the sun is out longer and the days are warmer and pepole are not feeling couped up and you will see the additues change
Old 01-29-2012, 07:50 PM

They say vitamin D helps. Get out in the sun I guess.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Usually by this time of year, I'm locked in some sort of heated argument with someone. This year, I've just been way too busy trying to keep my head on straight around my six-month-old to even be on the Interwebz as much as I was last year. Hellz, this is my first post on AO in... I don't even *know* how long.

But I kind of agree that there's something about this time of year that makes me really ornery. I've noticed that I'm not alone in this. Like, at all.

Probably the only English-speaking, French-Canadian lefty greeniac in Montréal with a 2008 Winchester M70 in .270. Probably.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 PM

I know, maybe I could convince my Old Strathcona lefty neighbor to have some of the boys over. We could sit on the bean bags on the floor. Do a little yoga.
Oooommmmm. Get centered. Blissed out even.
Have a nice meal after. A little brown rice/vegan number. Lotsa tofu. Yum, yum. Discuss Rachel Notley's excellent political initiatives.
Maybe go crazy and have a glass of white wine. (Fair trade, of course.) World music on the sound system. It's all good.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
I know, maybe I could convince my Old Strathcona lefty neighbor to have some of the boys over. We could sit on the bean bags on the floor. Do a little yoga.
Have a nice meal after. A little brown rice/vegan number. Lotsa tofu. Yum, yum. Discuss Rachel Notley's excellent political initiatives.
Maybe go crazy and have a glass of white wine. (Fair trade, of course.) World music on the sound system. It's all good.
tofu neil really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Usually by this time of year, I'm locked in some sort of heated argument with someone.
What the krap Roadkill long time no battle!
Banned

I can positively sense the negativity of this thread !!!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

Is fair trade an issue in wine? If so, I had no idea. It seems to be it is mostly wealthy nations that produce wine, and I have never seen any marked as being fair trade. (I only drink red though.)

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
Usually by this time of year, I'm locked in some sort of heated argument with someone. This year, I've just been way too busy trying to keep my head on straight around my six-month-old to even be on the Interwebz as much as I was last year. Hellz, this is my first post on AO in... I don't even *know* how long.

But I kind of agree that there's something about this time of year that makes me really ornery. I've noticed that I'm not alone in this. Like, at all.
Good to hear from you.... I can honestly say for the first time in my life....I missed the comments of an NDP'er from Quebec....LOL!!!!!...Glad everyone is well!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Is that neighbor on your right???

And Roadkill....I thought you got run over. How was hunting season for you?