Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Banned

Default So what is this shotgun and how much is the value?

So my friend is offering me this shotgun for $250 dollars. I'm just wondering if that is a good deal. I'm not sure what the exact name is. The barrel says marlin pat D april 2 1889, nov 6 1894, may 12 1896, june 2 1896, nov 27 1900 and march 29 1904. Most of the bluing is still intact. There are some minor rust that was removable with some oil and a cloth, but no pitting where the pump slides up and down.
It is a marlin shotgun 12 gauge 2 3/4. What is the actual name of this thing and is $250 fair. I've shot it and it works fine.
I was told by another friend that earlier marlin shotguns were deemed unsafe to shoot because they have often blown up in peoples faces. Is this true and why are they still selling these at gun stores?

Last edited by Killerb; 05-06-2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 AM

Looks like a model 28.
Nice gun - never heard the stories about older marlins blowing up, I've owned three over the years, but mine were open hammer pumps.
I
BTW, if you are planning on using this as a bear gun, there are better options out there.....
Cat
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Looks like a model 28.
Nice gun - never heard the stories about older marlins blowing up, I've owned three over the years, but mine were open hammer pumps.
I
BTW, if you are planning on using this as a bear gun, there are better options out there.....
Cat
Any in this price range
Old 05-06-2012, 06:57 AM

I think I paid between $150-$175 for all of them.
Cat
Old 05-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Gone Hunting

I\d say the same as cat for value.It isn't in great shape appearance wise.
Never heard of them 'blowing up." and yep there are better shotguns for $250

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 AM

Has it been opened up for steel? that will add some cost to it as well after the fact. Maybe this is what you thought when saying they might "blow up"

LC
Old 05-06-2012, 10:46 AM

One of my neighbors has one and he thought it was an M12 originally when we spoke and his grandfather purchased it new in the 1920's? Needed an extractor so I contacted one of my friends from US who specializes in M12's and arranged a part. neighbor called back a few days later to advise he was holding shotgun in his hand and is a 1906 model marlin. Passed info on to my friend that it was an early Marlin and his advise was to not fix it as early steel had unpredictable strength so many didn't stand up and burst with modern shells.

Saw one at Red Deer gun show yesterday for $300 and asked my friend if it was worth buying for parts for my neighbor and he felt price was $200 too high and wouldn't recommend fixing or shooting one. My neighbor claims to have shot his grandfathers many times before the extractor failed without incident.
$100 -150 sounds right but not sure I would want one.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Banned

Lol I just found out why he is trying to sell this gun. Turns out his wife said he has too many. How can you have too many. Anyways it turns out that letter from marlin was more to save their own butts from people who overloaded their shells.