Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 02:35 PM

Default Tar Sands vs Oil Sands

Hey everyone.
I took an intro anthropology course this last year and one of the assignments was to give a group presentation on an assigned topic. The topic my group was given was, "Tar Sands/Oil Sands: What is the semantic difference?" (Or in other words, the difference in meaning)
Our group came up with the idea that Tar Sands was generally viewed in a negative light, while Oil Sands was more positive. We talked about Tar Sands being used at first to describe the initial state of the process, and then later preferring the term Oil Sands (which is the end process). We didn't use the latter idea though. I thought that this would be an interesting discussion topic though.
What are your thoughts on the difference(s) of meaning(s) between Tar Sands and Oil Sands?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

Terminology eh?

Kinda like asking if farting is different than emitting wind from your anus.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Mr. Suzuki might know….Go ask him!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM

If you"re from the east its tar sands,out here they are oilsands.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM

Pro-industry folks call them Oil Sands, anti's call them Tar Sands, so the implication is that "tar" must be more negative than "oil". Mind you, 20 years ago most uninformed folks of any opinion (positive or negative) called them "Tar Sands". Today it's a super-quick way to judge what side of the fence the speaker is on.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Pro-industry folks call them Oil Sands, anti's call them Tar Sands, so the implication is that "tar" must be more negative than "oil". Mind you, 20 years ago most uninformed folks of any opinion (positive or negative) called them "Tar Sands". Today it's a super-quick way to judge what side of the fence the speaker is on.
Thats what I said LOL
Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRND View Post
The topic my group was given was, "Tar Sands/Oil Sands: What is the semantic difference?"
The difference is not semantic.

The fact that an anthropology professor is making that assumption, and teaching you that the difference is "semantic", tells me something about him/her and should tell you something.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post

The fact that an anthropology professor is making that assumption, and teaching you that the difference is "semantic", tells me something about him/her and should tell you something.
Do tell... But refrain from using the word progressive or republic or liberal or eastener in your arguement
Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM

Back in the day, they were refered to as the tar sands ...that is what we called them for many years. "Oil sands" is a politically correct cleansing now in vogue. I often refer to them as the tar sands out of habit, but make a conscious effort to use "oil sands". But, you know how some of us "old boys" hate political correctness
Old 05-14-2012, 03:36 PM

Came up here in 1973, all the locals - Natives and Whites included, called them tarsands then , and still do.
Cat
Old 05-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Came up here in 1973, all the locals - Natives and Whites, called it tarsands then , and still do.
Cat
My father did the same thing.

The way he looked at was "Tar Sands or Oil Sands. Its the same thing, just worded differently."
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Banned

I like the term money toffey. Always tarsands to me but the derrick huggers seem really offended by the term
Old 05-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Semantic does not mean irrelevant, even if it used that way often by people who don't understand the semantics of the word, grin... That's probably why the professor choose the topic, and it seems like a good one no matter what your position is on the tar/oil/duck sands.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Do tell... But refrain from using the word progressive or republic or liberal or eastener in your arguement
LOL He's working on it, but it's hard. That's why he hasn't replied yet.

But I actually think that what he was trying to say is that it's more than semantics, that "tar sands" is technically incorrect because it doesn't properly describe what the material is. Really, they should just call it "bituminous sands" and be done with it.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

Actually, the Athabasca Tar Sands was the original terminology used to decribe the bitumen deposit in northern Alberta. Only since the negative environmental spin has been put on the industry by the environmentalists, has the name been changed to the Oil Sands by the industry. I have a training manual in front of me right now from Syncrude from the eighties titled: "The Athabasca Tar Sands an Alchem Elective Unit". Copyright Syncrude right inside the cover.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM

And to me I grew up with tar sands, which was re-branded oil sands in a PR move. I think everyone would agree that it's a hell of a messy process to get the oil out of it's current form, so tar seems more appropriate and historically correct to me to answer the original poster's question. It is a "divide" term like gay and other terms that says more about the person using it than the what it is describing. Those who use oil sands are normally working in the industry or pro-development, while tar sands are used by older guys like me or those who are against developing the tar sands.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL He's working on it, but it's hard. That's why he hasn't replied yet.

But I actually think that what he was trying to say is that it's more than semantics, that "tar sands" is technically incorrect because it doesn't properly describe what the material is. Really, they should just call it "bituminous sands" and be done with it.
are you being subjective or objective?

I can wait for rocky to answer, afterall he is a teacher
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
And to me I grew up with tar sands, which was re-branded oil sands in a PR move. I think everyone would agree that it's a hell of a messy process to get the oil out of it's current form, so tar seems more appropriate and historically correct to me to answer the original poster's question. It is a "divide" term like gay and other terms that says more about the person using it than the what it is describing. Those who use oil sands are normally working in the industry or pro-development, while tar sands are used by older guys like me or those who are against developing the tar sands.
Not all "old guys" are against the development of the tarsands.

I for one actually welcome it.
Cat
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 PM

It has always been called Tar Sands. Suncors address at the site was Bag#xxxx Tar Island Alberta.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It's not what he was "trying" to say, it's exactly what he said. Those who know less than you do missed it.

Tar is a man-made substance. It has always been a man-made substance. It is made from coal.

Bitumen is heavy oil. It is a naturally occurring substance. It is not made from coal.

What we have is sand soaked in bitumen. Hence, "oil sands". When you pour oil into sand, it does not become tar.

It's no more "semantics" than it is a question of semantics whether to call a baseball a cube. If you choose to call it a cube, you are wrong. The fact that your father called it a cube does not make it so. It is a sphere.

We now live in a world where truth is often ignored in favour of ideology and propaganda. We live in a world where laws are created on the basis of good propaganda. Words matter. Now, more than ever.

Thank you for your cooperation in this delicate matter.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not what he was "trying" to say, it's exactly what he said. Those who know less than you do missed it.

Tar is a man-made substance. It has always been a man-made substance. It is made from coal.

Bitumen is heavy oil. It is a naturally occurring substance. It is not made from coal.

What we have is sand soaked in bitumen. Hence, "oil sands". When you pour oil into sand, it does not become tar.

It's no more "semantics" than it is a question of semantics whether to call a baseball a cube. If you choose to call it a cube, you are wrong. The fact that your father called it a cube does not make it so. It is a sphere.
Sounds like a progressive in a pumpjack huggers coat talking. What do you call it when you are out with a crew? I am sticking with money toffee... Sticking, hey I made a pun!
Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Sounds like a progressive in a pumpjack huggers coat talking. What do you call it when you are out with a crew? I am sticking with money toffee... Sticking, hey I made a pun!
Yup, you're right GM, never let facts get in the way when you can poke sarcasm at somebody.....
Old 05-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Banned

Hey rockster, does singing the beverly hillbillies tune make you crazy with all that black gold and texas tea lyric?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Banned

money toffee, hahahaha

top form today gus
Old 05-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Yup, you're right GM, never let facts get in the way when you can poke sarcasm at somebody.....
The terminology never caused shares to devalue orr production to slow or anything, heck we could call it dusty cyanide licorice and all will be fine. Who exactly is offended?
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

We now live in a world where truth is often ignored in favour of ideology and propaganda. We live in a world where laws are created on the basis of good propaganda. Words matter. Now, more than ever.

Thank you for your cooperation in this delicate matter.
When you pour oil into sand it does not become bitumen either.

Oil is a petroleum product that is liquid at ambient temperatures.

Clearly neither term is accurate.

I like bitumen sands, as they are clearly a bitc#-man.

BTW, the "oil" that comes from tarsands is just as manufactuered as any "tar".

You're really stretching beyond reason in your argument.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM

its a PR thing for people who've never seen the stuff.

Oilsands sounds like oily sand that you just have to squeeze the oil out of and your good to go,

Tarsands sounds like alot more of a process... Turning tar into oil, that sounds ridiculous to alot of peole who have no idea what the process looks like

It's those tailings ponds that they need to do something about, they are disgusting and will never go away. The so called reclaimed ponds are merely just covered up with fabric and they dump the petroleum coke from the plant on top then seed the top soil once they get that on there. If youve ever seen that commercial on tv bragging about how they fixed the pond there's actually 20-150 feet of toxic sludge and goop a few meters under the nice grassy field in the back. They actually took birch trees and cemented them into the ground to make it look like trees have grown there,lol

I don't care either way, I don't live there, it's allready pretty trashed so they may aswell keep going. It keeps the wages up in edmonton
Old 05-14-2012, 06:16 PM

My dad started working at "GCOS" aka "Great Canadian Oil Sands" in 1967...maybe 68....anyway it was before Syncrude. I spent many happy days mucking around in the tar along the banks of the Athabasca River while waiting for a chubfish to bite my handline. My mom gave me heck for getting tar all over my clothes, so it must be tar sands...Mom is always right...
Old 05-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansgunsghandi View Post
No way we are calling it "THE GAY SANDS!"
Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM

[QUOTE=dantonsen;1438649]its a PR thing for people who've never seen the stuff.

Oilsands sounds like oily sand that you just have to squeeze the oil out of and your good to go,

Tarsands sounds like alot more of a process... Turning tar into oil, that sounds ridiculous to alot of peole who have no idea what the process looks like

It's those tailings ponds that they need to do something about, they are disgusting and will never go away. The so called reclaimed ponds are merely just covered up with fabric and they dump the petroleum coke from the plant on top then seed the top soil once they get that on there. If youve ever seen that commercial on tv bragging about how they fixed the pond there's actually 20-150 feet of toxic sludge and goop a few meters under the nice grassy field in the back. They actually took birch trees and cemented them into the ground to make it look like trees have grown there,lol

I don't care either way, I don't live there, it's allready pretty trashed so they may aswell keep going. It keeps the wages up in edmonton[/QUOTE

Hmm, I have never heard of anyone cementing birch trees down, but I have seen the growth over the years of birches, poplars , willows, spruces, and many other types of trees.
Cat