Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Default Renewal of Firearms License

I have a PAL/POL for non-restricted and restricted guns, do you need to send them proof of a gun range membership when you apply for renewal? What about the Edmonton Shooter's Guild can you use them if they need it? I can't remember if a membership is required or not, there's nothing on the application form.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:34 PM

I don't believe so! Only to get your ATT to the range.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM

Not required. If you have had resticted/non-restricted it is renewed as such.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I don't believe so! Only to get your ATT to the range.
No you do not. You only need proof of a range membership to transport a restricted weapon to and from the range.

Ha ha, not quite fast enough and picked up the wrong quote....
Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 PM

Someone was telling me that if you have restricted on your license, you now need to send proof of a range membership with your renewal form. I'm not sure if they changed it or not because it doesn't say anywhere.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 PM

This is news to me:

Changes to firearms licence fee waiver
Restricted and prohibited licence holders required to pay prescribed fee as of September 18, 2012.

The Government of Canada has announced changes to the firearms licence fee waiver.

Licences with Restricted/Prohibited Privileges:

A fee waiver for renewal of Possession Only Licences (POL) and Possession and Acquisition Licences (PAL) with restricted/prohibited firearm privileges is in effect until September 17, 2012.

Individuals who renew their restricted or prohibited class POL or PAL on or after September 18, 2012, will be required to pay the renewal fee. Individuals who add restricted and/or prohibited privileges to their licence on or after that date will also be required to pay the fee.

Licences with Non-Restricted Privileges ONLY:

A fee waiver, applicable to licences with non-restricted firearm privileges only, is in effect until May 16, 2013. This waiver applies to:

•individuals renewing their Possession Only Licence (POL) or Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL),
•individuals upgrading their POL to a PAL,
•individuals obtaining a new POL or PAL after their previous one expired, or
•minors renewing their Minor’s Licence.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
Someone was telling me that if you have restricted on your license, you now need to send proof of a range membership with your renewal form. I'm not sure if they changed it or not because it doesn't say anywhere.
Humm... I have restricted and I did not have to show range membership to get it. That tells me something. You only need it if you want to transport a restricted weapon. You don't even need it to purchase one but best to cover your butt if you do purchase a handgun to have a membership. For target practicing of course
Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 PM

I just renewed my restricted/non-restricted in January. Definitely not required to show a range membership unless something just changed.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Default range membership with pal renewal

Yes, youhave to. Eventhough it is not asked for anywhere, I personally know of seven people who after waiting for an extended period of time and phoned to find out why they had not received their renewal were told that they had to submit a copy of their range membership first.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 PM

I know of someone that recently renewed RPAL and they would not renew it without proof of range membership. I told him that was BS, you don't need a membership to renew your license, only for your ATT.

I just renewed my RPAL and they sent me a letter stating that it would not be renewed without proof of range membership. That ticked me off.

The letter also stated that if I had no proof of reason to own restricted firearms (target shooting) that the RCMP could take them. That really ticked me off.

I phoned the CFO for clarification on their discretionary, new to me, rules. They confirmed that if you have restricteds, you need a reason to own them. If that reason is target shooting, then you need a range membership to justify it. I think it's another case of making up rules as they go, BS.

They also said if you want to renew RPAL but do not own restricted, the range membership is not necesary?? I think they are confusing licenseing with transport.

On a positive note, the person I talked to was pleasant and did say that usually when they renew a RPAL they automatically renew your LTATT.

That auto renewal of the ATT with your license could justify having to prove range membership at the time of RPAL renewal, but that is not how they stated the membership requirement.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:55 PM

I renewed my restricted in December. I sent in the forms without my range membership. They sent me a letter saying they would not renew unless I sent them a copy of my range membership. So I had to go get one and send it in.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 AM

if you own restricted weapons allready you need to send in the range membership for renewal of RPAL

If you do NOT own any restricted weapons yet have an RPAL you can renew it without proof of range membership.

I got an RPAL wthout it, and didn't need a membership to renew it as I do not own restricted weapons.

alot of people get confused about this for some reason, they usually own restricted weapons so they think you need the range membership to renew
Old 05-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
I renewed my restricted in December. I sent in the forms without my range membership. They sent me a letter saying they would not renew unless I sent them a copy of my range membership. So I had to go get one and send it in.
Yup...

BUT they do not tell you this till you try to renew...and it is written no where on any of the documentation. The license and the ATT/LTATT both come due at the same time now (or they try to get them to coincide)....I found this out after I had sent in my renewal and just before hunting seaon. I almost was unable to go out hunting the first week of the season because of the delay this caused.

If you currently own and have in your possesion restricted firearms....you will need to provide proof of range membership. The LTATT now expire on your birthday typically at the same time your license needs renewal...save yourself the hassle and the delay and contact the CFO and send them a copy of your range membership.

Here is the letter I received in respects to having a range membership before they would issue me my RPAL....

NOTICE WHERE IT SAYS..."Failure to respond to this notice may result in the rejection of your license application"

Have a read.....basically they are saying I NEED to have a range membership....this is what I got from the letter, correct me if I am wrong.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-27-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
Yes, youhave to. Eventhough it is not asked for anywhere, I personally know of seven people who after waiting for an extended period of time and phoned to find out why they had not received their renewal were told that they had to submit a copy of their range membership first.
This same scenario happend to me last fall....it seems there is a lack of consistency from the CFO Office in Alberta.

This caused me a significant delay. I would have included the proof of membership they requested at the time of renewal....IF THEY HAD IT ON THE FORMS AS BEING REQUIRED.....

LC
Old 05-27-2012, 12:45 PM

I get it, just another hoop to jump through if you do own restricted.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Thanks Lefty-Canuck, your letter confirms it.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:03 PM

My experience happened last year. I sent my RPAL renewal in with plenty of time to renew it. I didn't get it back, and when I noticed other guys who had sent their renewals in after mine and received them, I called the CFO. Mine was in a pending stage because their records showed that my club membership had expired. So yeah, regardless if it's law or not, you might not get your RPAL renewed if you don't have a club membership or not..... another one of Bill C-68's "open to interpretation" that makes it complete BS.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:18 PM

Took 105 days to get my rpal renewal, took along time to print the new photo and picture, as this was the only change . I too got the threatening letter and the range request from the CFO office in Edmonton. Felt like they were trying coerce me into changing the declared purpose of ownership of my firearms so they could come seize them.

If they are going to request this information maybe it should be on the original application we send in. Also a box to tick requesting an ATT might be handy as well. Feels like they are going out of their way to make this difficult.

If you are not actively a range member I see no reason for it to affect the status of your Rpal or registration certificates. If your not a member of a range it should not affect anything, including your ATT. Lots of ranges accept visitors.Some ranges charge a fee for visitors some don't. I see no rational reason for range memberships being required for the aqquisition of restricted firearms. Just another stupid hoop that should go the way of the registry.C68 has got to go!
Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 PM

If it takes so long to get a renewal, how far ahead should a guy send it in. If you send it in 4 months early will the just reject the application? I want to send it in before Sept. 18 so I don't have to pay the fee. Who knows what that will be when they re-instate it.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
If it takes so long to get a renewal, how far ahead should a guy send it in. If you send it in 4 months early will the just reject the application? I want to send it in before Sept. 18 so I don't have to pay the fee. Who knows what that will be when they re-instate it.
I sent mine the day after I received a renewal notice. Then I had the delays that had to do with my RPAL and range membership pain in the a.... stuff. It came WAAAAY late and I almost didn't have it for the rifle opener of hunting season.

Plan ahead....if you have an RPAL and own restricted firearms....do yourself a favour and send a copy of your range membership with your application, even though they don't ask for it up-front BUT they will much later and further delay you.

LC