Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Home Tanning? (fur on)

Hello,
I want to learn how to do some home tanning. (fur on) or if possible find a trade school that offers a class on the subject. Internet searches have been woefully unhelpful so far. Does anyone have any advice for someone who wishes to learn to tan their own hides, Or does anyone know of a school in Alberta that teaches this crafts or of a tanner who is willing to take on apprentices? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much

Last edited by Lisa; 05-28-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: people thought i ment jersy shore kind of tanning
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Banned

Oh THAT kind of tanning.

I was kind of wondering if this thread was about to get closed when you said home tanning "fur on".

Welcome to the board...and sorry about the ribbing...couldn't help myself.

Not sure where you are, but there is a guy in Wildwood, west of Evansburg that does a lot of hide tanning. He teaches wilderness courses etc, and did a lot of the hides and the giant tipi in the provincial museum in Edmonton. can't remember his name. I'll see if I can dig it up, or someone esle might know him.

Randy Breeuwsma....(don't ask me how to pronounce it). www.karamat.com

I bought a canoe off of him many years ago, and he gave me a tour of his place. Does a lot of brain tanning etc. I don't see any courses on this, but he sure had a lot of hides and seemed to know his stuff. You could give him a call and he might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Last edited by rugatika; 05-28-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Thank you and no wories about the ribbing, it actually part of the reason i have been having so much trouble finding any info on line. I'm in Lethbridge but not really doing much of anything down here so i would be willing to travel anywhere in province or nearby on any borders. let me know if you find the fellow.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM

Hi Lisa, welcome to the board

Good luck finding someone to teach you. I tried it myself with some home tanning kits (I still have some supplies). I managed to tan the hide alright, but as for pliability.... well, that left something to be desired

I'm still interested in learning taxidermy, too. If you find anything, let me know

Sylvia
Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 PM

Hey Silvia There is a school in calgary Penn school of taxidermy that offers anywhere from a 6 week to weekend taxidermy course depending on what you wan to learn

http://www.selecttaxidermy.com/main.html

I might order a home tanning kit and try to teach myself if i cant find an instructor. thanks for the help
Old 05-28-2012, 03:55 PM

Penn has been around for a long, LONG time. I thought if hitting that up when I was still in the area.

Never know, I'm sure I could do a good job and have fun
Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Banned

I bought a canoe off of him many years ago, and he gave me a tour of his place. Does a lot of brain tanning etc. I don't see any courses on this, but he sure had a lot of hides and seemed to know his stuff. You could give him a call and he might be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:10 PM

Halford hides has supplies. As for around Lethbridge go see Dennis or Cheryl Meyer at Lane Archery. They probaly know somebody around thats tanning critters.
Thanks Leroy
Old 05-28-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks so much, Ill do that
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM

I'm not sure ifin there back form bear hunting yet call first. Dennis is best to talk in person. Tell him leroy sent you He'll laugh and rolllllllllll his eyes. NOW you got him
Thanks Leroy
Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Try mother earth news or http:/www.ssri.org/sr2/Hunt/tan.htm .mother earth news has some great info allong with pics and recipes for solutions.easy to follow.SSRI is a back country guide from the USA with links to other sites.
Trapper once told me that NON IODIZED SALT is a must as Iodine will ruin hides.Due follow saftey rules eye wear good gloves.
mike
Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika;1456527[B
]Oh THAT kind of tanning.

I was kind of wondering if this thread was about to get closed when you said home tanning "fur on". [/B]
Welcome to the board...and sorry about the ribbing...couldn't help myself.

Not sure where you are, but there is a guy in Wildwood, west of Evansburg that does a lot of hide tanning. He teaches wilderness courses etc, and did a lot of the hides and the giant tipi in the provincial museum in Edmonton. can't remember his name. I'll see if I can dig it up, or someone esle might know him.

LOL, i went there too !
Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
Hi Lisa, welcome to the board

Good luck finding someone to teach you. I tried it myself with some home tanning kits (I still have some supplies). I managed to tan the hide alright, but as for pliability.... well, that left something to be desired

I'm still interested in learning taxidermy, too. If you find anything, let me know

Sylvia
You need to break up the fibres after it dries.

An old dull axe in a vice works.

You just press down and drag the hide back and forth across the blade. (At right angles to the cutting edge.
Like buffing a shoe with a cloth...

Hard work though....
Old 05-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I tried it myself with some home tanning kits (I still have some supplies). I managed to tan the hide alright, but as for pliability.... well, that left something to be desired

It' not too late to soften the hide. You can keep on stretching it as Pesky has suggested.

Wipe the hide with a wet cloth, add some hide oil, and lay on the elbow grease. These are a couple of home-made tools I use for stretching a strung hide. Femur Bone scraper, and an antler handled metal scraper.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Banned

we have some knowledgable guys regarding this stuff here on the forum. check out this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=117266

i am following these instructions myself on a few furs right now. i should have them complete in a day or two as they are just in the final drying stage.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM

online -

http://www.braintan.com/articles/furs/george1.html
Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM

Thanks for the tips, guys. The hides I have are waiting patiently in the shed, I might give that a try soon.

Hide oil??? Haven't seen that.

Walking buffalo, your tools are works of art. I think I would like seeing the stuff you have in your house, LOL
Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM

You may want to ask this question on the Trapping Forum...lots of knowledge there!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:

That would probably be neatsfoot oil. It is applied to leather such as harness, reins, belts, and other 'working' leather. It will keep the leather soft and keep it from drying out too much over time. This oil also darkens the leather so if you are using on light colored leather try a small corner first.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, guys. The hides I have are waiting patiently in the shed, I might give that a try soon.

Walking buffalo, your tools are works of art. I think I would like seeing the stuff you have in your house, LOL

Thanks for the compliment. I have a few pics of some art at the house in the albums on my profile page.

Another highly technological tool that is great for softening a large hide is a stick.

This one is about 2" in diameter and 30" long. Use it on a hide that is strung on a frame. Push and rub in all directions.

Tags
fur, hide, learn, leather, tanning