Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Default four more dogs lost to snakes

If you are travelling through the Hat this year keep the pups on a leash I heard four more dogs lost to rattle snakes last week. The rattlers are everywhere this year. Word was all dogs were hit in the same area, a popular off leash area close to the highway. Beware anywhere around the Hat two weeks ago my neighbor had a 5 footer on his driveway, a snake like that can put a world of hurt on a dog or a small child. There has always been rattlers in the area but in the 20 years I have been here never have so many dogs been killed by the snakes.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:57 AM

Too bad it wasnt my neighbors mut .. It just barks 24/7 the owner seems to think that if hes awake its ok for the dog to bark Non stop .. Anyone wanna bring me a couple Rattlers ??
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsimms View Post
Too bad it wasnt my neighbors mut .. It just barks 24/7 the owner seems to think that if hes awake its ok for the dog to bark Non stop .. Anyone wanna bring me a couple Rattlers ??
Go to the by-law officer.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:52 AM
Banned

Not sure how true it is but working down here in Texas there are rattlers every where they told us that the small ones will kill you faster than a big one because the small ones don't control their venom. So they will give you a bigger shot.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:55 AM

Default rattlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
If you are travelling through the Hat this year keep the pups on a leash I heard four more dogs lost to rattle snakes last week. The rattlers are everywhere this year. Word was all dogs were hit in the same area, a popular off leash area close to the highway. Beware anywhere around the Hat two weeks ago my neighbor had a 5 footer on his driveway, a snake like that can put a world of hurt on a dog or a small child. There has always been rattlers in the area but in the 20 years I have been here never have so many dogs been killed by the snakes.
Love to know where you are getting your info. We walk our dogs in that park daily (I am assuming you are referring to the off leash park south of Kin Coulee and west of the tipi), and haven't heard of any rattlers being seen, let alone any dogs being bitten. Nothing in the local media either. I have lived here for 10 years and have yet to see a live one within city limits. I know they are here, however based on my personal experience they are pretty scarce.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM

I have live in the Hat most of my life (born here moved to Ft Mcmurray , Slave Lake and Back. I have seen three in the travels with my malamute in the last 4yrs. All at the Kin area fortunately my dog is not off the rope (mainly because i would have to pick her up in Lethbridge) You have to pay attention cause the dogs just want to check them out.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Love to know where you are getting your info. Nothing in local media.
Snake sightings up as summer weather arrives
Tuesday, 12 June 2012 00:00

PEGGY REVELL
prevell@medicinehatnews.com

Hatters aren't the only creatures hitting the pathways to enjoy the warmer weather and will need to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes also seeking to soak up the sun's rays.

"(My) general advice is to leave the snakes alone," said Doug Etherington, District Fish and Wildlife Officer on what to do if you encounter a rattlesnake while out and about.

"Snakes do not attack people, contrary to popular belief. They will only strike in a defensive manner," he said, advising to just be aware walking the parks and on paths.

The biggest threat is for dogs as they can be curious and go up to the snake, causing the snake to respond defensively, he explained, so it's important to keep dogs under control when out and about with them.
Since May of this year, local bylaw enforcement has received 10 calls about snakes, of which five were definitely rattlesnakes, said bylaw superintendent Fred Crittenden.

"Our stats would say we've dealt with double the snake calls that we had dealt with last year at this time, but it's not an exuberant number, that's for sure."

Snakes along trails and natural systems are in their natural habitat, he said, but if in a yard, house or park especially when there's children playing the public can contact bylaw enforcement and they will get there as soon as possible and move it safely to its natural habitat.

So far this year local Fish and Wildlife have only had one complaint about a rattlesnake, said Etherington.

Down at Police Point Park's Interpretive Centre, they haven't observed or heard about an increased number of rattlers, said Marty Drut, offering similar advice to keep dogs under control and just being observant of where you're walking.

Interestingly enough, bullsnakes actually try to mimic rattlesnakes to some degree, he said.

"They don't have rattles, but they will coil similar to a rattlesnake," he explained. "They will swish their tail across the dry grass or leaves to try to make it sound as if they're rattling, and then they'll flatten their head and hiss at you and even strike at you."

Because there are some similarities between the two snakes, people could mistake one for the other.

It is illegal to kill, possess, buy or sell rattlesnakes in Alberta.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Snakes are out in full force... Couple rattlers already on the road into the farm... Last night, droped a pump in and pretty much stepped on a big bull, had to look twice and make sure it didn't have rattles.. Good to see, the gophers are insane this year..

Love the snakes !
Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 AM

It is a myth about the young ones not being able to control their venom. Really, they don't make much of it.

There is some research that indicates that in some species, the venom composition is different in neonates and juveniles, but I haven't seen any of this documented with our species yet.

As for five dogs being killed, that's too bad. I'm exceptionally careful with my dog in rattler territory. If in fact the population does seem to be doing well this year, that's fantastic news!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 07-12-2012, 10:10 AM

So, absolutely nothing about 4 MORE DOGS KILLED, just a report that at least five rattlesnake sighting have been confirmed by city bylaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

PEGGY REVELL

Hatters aren't the only creatures hitting the pathways to enjoy the warmer weather and will need to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes also seeking to soak up the sun's rays.

"(My) general advice is to leave the snakes alone," said Doug Etherington, District Fish and Wildlife Officer on what to do if you encounter a rattlesnake while out and about.

"Snakes do not attack people, contrary to popular belief. They will only strike in a defensive manner," he said, advising to just be aware walking the parks and on paths.

The biggest threat is for dogs as they can be curious and go up to the snake, causing the snake to respond defensively, he explained, so it's important to keep dogs under control when out and about with them.
Since May of this year, local bylaw enforcement has received 10 calls about snakes, of which five were definitely rattlesnakes, said bylaw superintendent Fred Crittenden.

"Our stats would say we've dealt with double the snake calls that we had dealt with last year at this time, but it's not an exuberant number, that's for sure."

Snakes along trails and natural systems are in their natural habitat, he said, but if in a yard, house or park especially when there's children playing the public can contact bylaw enforcement and they will get there as soon as possible and move it safely to its natural habitat.

So far this year local Fish and Wildlife have only had one complaint about a rattlesnake, said Etherington.

Down at Police Point Park's Interpretive Centre, they haven't observed or heard about an increased number of rattlers, said Marty Drut, offering similar advice to keep dogs under control and just being observant of where you're walking.

Interestingly enough, bullsnakes actually try to mimic rattlesnakes to some degree, he said.

"They don't have rattles, but they will coil similar to a rattlesnake," he explained. "They will swish their tail across the dry grass or leaves to try to make it sound as if they're rattling, and then they'll flatten their head and hiss at you and even strike at you."

Because there are some similarities between the two snakes, people could mistake one for the other.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
So, absolutely nothing about 4 MORE DOGS KILLED, just a report that at least five rattlesnake sighting have been confirmed by city bylaw.
Instead of complaining that its a crock, maybe just keep an eye on your dog JUST IN CASE. You sound like your getting mad that someone is giving you a headsup its a possibility. It would pertain more to you as you walk your dog there daily. Don't get mad. Just be mindful.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 AM

I grew up in Houston Texas and thought I had seen more rattlers than anyone in Canada ever would have ..... Until I went sturgeon fishing near med. hat !! We found giant pits full of hundreds of rattlers and had a close encounter with one in the long grass... The snakes will put a world of hurt on a full grown man and we never travelled around on foot at nite! As u can find out with the hundreds of missing persons never reported on I agree calm down and take the advise ... There is a diff between fear mongering and basic heads up.... I'd regathering b safe than sorry ... If u hear a rattle stop dead in your tracks till u c the snake then formulate a plan ... My bud was pinned and I threw a bucket of water at him as my bud jumped and ran and screamed like a girl ripping off his boots and clothes convinced the snake was in there haha funny and scary
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman View Post
Instead of complaining that its a crock, maybe just keep an eye on your dog JUST IN CASE. You sound like your getting mad that someone is giving you a headsup its a possibility. It would pertain more to you as you walk your dog there daily. .

Not mad at all Chrisman. I never said the rumour is a Crock. Just pointing out that the media coverage, while quite detailed with several government representative being quoted, never mentioned a thing about any pets being killed by Rattlers this year.

I suggest you take your own advice, "Don't get mad. Just be mindful."
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Love to know where you are getting your info. We walk our dogs in that park daily (I am assuming you are referring to the off leash park south of Kin Coulee and west of the tipi), and haven't heard of any rattlers being seen, let alone any dogs being bitten. Nothing in the local media either. I have lived here for 10 years and have yet to see a live one within city limits. I know they are here, however based on my personal experience they are pretty scarce.
You must be blind and deaf in the handful of times working in the hat I have seen a few snakes in town
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-12-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I suggest you take your own advice, "Don't get mad. Just be mindful."
Easy big fella, no anger intended there at all. we all know the media twists actual facts on a daily basis. Wether it was 100% factual or not. It was a friendly heads up.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:53 PM

ONE MAN ONLY CAN DEAL WITH THIS...

CALLING WAYNE CHRISTIE

Old 07-26-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
You must be blind and deaf in the handful of times working in the hat I have seen a few snakes in town
Neither blind nor Rob ............. just never fortunate enough to see (a live) one - have seen several dead ones on the local roads and in Echo Dale Park. Lots of garters, the occasional bull snake, but no rattlers yet.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post

PEGGY REVELL

I did read that piece in the paper. I was referring specifically to the claims of four more dogs being killed. If that many pets had been killed there would have been a lot of coverage, not to mention a plethora of warning signs in the local off-leash coulee areas.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:39 PM

I walk my dog all over the Hat area and have yet to see a rattler...
A few big bulls tho.
Haven't heard anything about dogs getting bitten and dying either...
Old 07-27-2012, 12:28 AM

In the Hat as well; not a peep about it anywhere.

Regardless, I'd rather have snakes around than dogs. Snakes don't bark all ******ing night.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762Russian View Post
In the Hat as well; not a peep about it anywhere.

Regardless, I'd rather have snakes around than dogs. Snakes don't bark all ******ing night.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich