Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
Get a decent sleeping bag!
Yours doesn't have to be amazing, just better than one person in the tent. No doubt they'll keep the stove going
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Banned

Delete

Last edited by bowtech3006; 07-16-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Post twice
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Banned

I camp in winter as cheap as anyone but I am very comfortable.

I pitched my tarp on the Badger lake ice in a blizzard.
All the other fisherpeople were camping in trailers.
The wind howled all night but my pegs held. I taped up the north vents.
This is a cheap construction tarp and is noisy in the wind but it has lasted for numerous camps.
I lent it to some homeless people and it got sooty inside, I am guessing from wood and marijana smoke.
Will post pictures

Last edited by chimpac; 07-17-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM

We bring in a couple bales of straw and spread it out on the ground then we put down are plywood floor. We even pieced in old carpet and it seem to make a big difference. We also use a wood stove and put a bucket of water by it so your hair doesn't stand on end from being so dry.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Years back, I used to just camp and sleep in my bronco. Carried a 20 pound bottle of propane and a tiger torch nothing like 200,000 btu's to warm you up on a cold morning. Carried a chainsaw and some gas, could make a fire with that thing in a few minutes, a stove pipe and an elbow would make for some awesome heat to get the truck going on those -30 morning in late November. A cooler with some grub and a piece of expanded metal for a stove. A buddy and I spent from Sunday to Saturday camping like this west of RMH. Had to head back in two town twice for fuel and miscellaneous. It was a good hunt as we filled our doe draws, got two average WT bucks a 3 x 4 mule and a 5 x 5, saw lots of Elk and Moose but sadly no tags. We never camped in the same place twice, and when we stopped got out the chain saw cut down a few trees bucked it up, put it in a pile and hit it with the tiger torch. Threw out the lawn chairs fixed a drink, melted some snow for water and made supper, in the mornings did the same thing sort of boiled water for oatmeal and coffee, washed everything up threw it back in the box and headed out for the day.
Not the most comfortable but it forced us to hunt hard and be out there, not resting in camp.

BW
Old 07-17-2012, 02:45 PM

BW that what I'm talking but I found out from a buddy that chain lakes camp ground is opened till Dec which works out perfect cause that's where I hunt in that area, the tiger tourch is a good idea I will see if I can find one. Starting to plan this trip already. Tarp is a must for the wind somedays down there

Thanks a lot for all the info guys
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM

I used to take a fleece blanket place it over the tent and under the fly and throw a lantern in the tent about 15 min before I'd hit the hay.it would be nearly +30 at the top and about + 15 at the bottom. was fairly comfortable.
Now If its really cold I either dont go or stay in a leanto with Lots of fire wood, I've slept in a lean to down to -34 and was very comfortable. As for drying clothes A good fire and a clothes line above it will make short work of wet socks and long johns. Just make sure with a big fire that your bed is well off the ground. If you have a nylon sleeping bag use a canvas cover to keep the sparks off. I usually use a small poly tarp and Loots of spruce boughs for roofing and a floor.
Winter camping is great! you just have to be prepared for it.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=chimpac;1523608]I camp in winter as cheap as anyone but I am very comfortable.

I pitched my tarp on the Badger lake ice in a blizzard.
All the other fisherpeople were camping in trailers.
The wind howled all night but my pegs held. I taped up the north vents.
This is a cheap construction tarp and is noisy in the wind but it has lasted for numerous camps.
I lent it to some homeless people and it got sooty inside, I am guessing from wood and marijana smoke.
Will post pictures/QUOTE

I lost javascipt so upload to photobucket did not work. I am not to quick on computer but fixed it by myself. Sorry for big photos, thats the next thing to fix.

Tarp is 20' square.

Last edited by chimpac; 07-19-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Winter camping in a tent... have to be very prepared.

I would recommend camping in it first in Sept/oct to get a better feel for what you will be doing before going to the extreme.

Be very careful with a heater. I used to keep a propane lantern just to fire up in morning to take the chill off enough to get out of sleeping bag and get dressed. I also use in evening to warm tent up and take chill off.

Watch the condensation, when you breathe it will form frost on tent and then usually warm up in day and run down the walls, keep beeding in center of tent.

Make sure you have adequate ventilation... I found two guys that had asphyxiated in a tent from a propane heater.

Another little hint, I stayed in my tent trailer late into fall one year and I had an electric space heater and it was awesome.... You can use this in tent with generator as well....it works great...