Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Default Rossi Ranch-Hand mods/fixes complete! *target pics added*

Well I went and had to order a few things to make this ranch hand a bit more accurate and user friendly.

I picked up a higher fibre optic front and a lower rear sight. I also picked up a longer butt-stock for the times I might consider shooting some game NOT in the name of protection. One screw and I can swap out from side-arm to shootability mode.

Turned out pretty good with some minor adjustments to the butt stock inlay. I have a bunch of the stain I used on the stock left if anyone needs some for their rifle.

Now to get out and shoot it to see if the mods worked!! LOL

LC
Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM

very nice!

is that the boyds rear stock?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
very nice!

is that the boyds rear stock?
Yes it is.

Description : 300-100 Winchester 92/pre-64 94 Stock Walnut (semi-inlet)

The stock was cheap....the shipping is $$$

If you go this route.....the stain I picked up and used makes the butt-stock actually match the fore-stock better than the factory one.

I think I forgot to say thank you for your information on where to find the goodies for these! So thanks!

I had to sand down a fair bit of the stock in the wrist region to get it to match up even with the metal. I also had to use a dremel tool to lengthen the channel that the top and bottom receiver metal fit into to get the wood to butt-up to the rear of the receiver.

LC
Old 07-20-2012, 04:31 PM

you dont have to thank me....i havent ordered any of the stuff yet...i was just letting guys like you work the bugs out for me

looking forward to seeing how it shoots for you now.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM

LOL....I see how this works now!

LC
Old 07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Banned

Look's good !!!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:38 PM

I like that a lot!
Cat
Old 07-21-2012, 10:47 AM
Gone Hunting

Lets see some groups.

I just got back home from a holiday to the north-west and in the stack of mail was a box from "Steve's".

I got the green fiber front sight and the lower open rear sight. And also a rear sight that is a peep within a peep.

I hope it stops raining here soon and I can do a swap and head to the range.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 07-21-2012, 10:55 AM

I just got everything finished yesterday and I am hoping to hit the range today or tomorrow....once it dries up a little bit around here.

LC
Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 PM

Finally made it out to shoot the Ranch Hand.

Well the mods/fixes that I did proved worth it.

All targets are from 35 yards.

I tested Hornady ammo from the bench and American Eagle ammo both on a rest and free hand......(ran low on Hornady ammo from goofing around before the mods).

Hornady off a rest

American Eagle off a rest

American Eagle Free Hand

Seems like it was worth it to put in some extra time and swap out parts.

LC
Old 07-30-2012, 12:11 PM

Beautiful setup!!!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
sheephunter

How much overall length does that stock add to the Rossi?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Out golfing right now but I will measure it up when I return. Honestly the extra length really adds to the shootability so I think I am going to leave it like it is. It fits in nicely to the side of my badlands pack too....ill take some pics.

LC
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM

i ordered that sight combo today....looks like it will be worth it.

man...20 bucks to ship to canada from steves....id advise anyone ordering in the future to consult canadian gun nutz...there is an ongoing thread over there with info on changing the ranch hand sights...including williams part numbers to order sights from Brownells for half the price.

i of course saw that after ordering from steves lol.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM
sheephunter

Think Steve owes me a comission....lol
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Think Steve owes me a comission....lol
i passed that link all around town too....maybe if we both hit him up at the same time we can break him?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM

I got the same mods but have yet to fit the Boyd's stock. How did you deal with the rear stock screw hole needing to be repositioned? Did you find a stain that was premixed or did you have to mix and match?
I also got the Mod DVD to slick up the action but just haven't had the time lately to tackle the job. With sheep season nearing, it's starting to look like a winter project.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I think one post on CGN said ~7"
Old 07-30-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
I got the same mods but have yet to fit the Boyd's stock. How did you deal with the rear stock screw hole needing to be repositioned? Did you find a stain that was premixed or did you have to mix and match?
I also got the Mod DVD to slick up the action but just haven't had the time lately to tackle the job. With sheep season nearing, it's starting to look like a winter project.
The butt stock I ordered from Boyd's did not need to have the screw hole repositioned. I had to lengthen the channels that the rear receiver metal fit into (used a dremel tool). I had to sand down the wrist of the stock a fair bit to match the profile of the metal.

I lucked out on the stain, went to the local hardware store and did a match no mixing needed bought off the shelf. I sponged it in and took a clean sponge to rub/absorb the excess and it came out really close. I have a lot of stain left, depending where you are I can get some to you.

LC
Old 07-30-2012, 09:26 PM
Banned

Ok, so bare with me for a minute here LC, and I'm not trying to be an arse. But, if you had to purchase a stock for this thingamajig and mods to the sights to make it shootable. Wouldn't buying a good old Marlin or Winnie in that caliber achieve the same thing? Pardon my ignorance on these guns, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around their usefullness, particularly when you went thru so many steps into making it into a gun that apparently and to my mind, already exists. And, what will this gun do that my .444 Marlin won't do giving that the caliber choice is a shrimp in comparison to stopping power....if that is what the intention is all about. Again, not trying to be a jerk, just asking.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM

won't do anything that you 444 won't do but it is cooler
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

Oh, don't gimme that cooler jive, it's too disco.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Ok, so bare with me for a minute here LC, and I'm not trying to be an arse. But, if you had to purchase a stock for this thingamajig and mods to the sights to make it shootable. Wouldn't buying a good old Marlin or Winnie in that caliber achieve the same thing? Pardon my ignorance on these guns, but I'm still trying to wrap my head around their usefullness, particularly when you went thru so many steps into making it into a gun that apparently and to my mind, already exists. And, what will this gun do that my .444 Marlin won't do giving that the caliber choice is a shrimp in comparison to stopping power....if that is what the intention is all about. Again, not trying to be a jerk, just asking.
LOL...I gotta admit I'm trying to figure that out as well. I like the fact that it's compact and fits easily inside my pack.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL...I gotta admit I'm trying to figure that out as well. I like the fact that it's compact and fits easily inside my pack.
Sorry man, still too long for a fanny pack. A back pack, a pack saddle maybe but not a fanny pack. Unless one of course sports a mullet.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I totally get what you are saying.

You know when you buy something and you want it to work well soooo bad that you decide you will do what is necessary to get it there?

This qualifies....now I know that with the new sights it will shoot like it should have out of the box. That is where Rossi has failed miserably on these.

I think for its intended use it still fits...but you are correct there are other equivalents. If you total up what I have put into this I am right @ $750. Not sure what an equivalent Marlin would go for?.....maybe I don't want to

The overall length with the new butt stock is 29.5 inches....so I think it is still smaller and lighter than a full size lever.

LC
Old 07-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Banned

Thanks LC, I trully appreciate your feedback. I'm still trying to get my head around their purpose other than "cool", and none better than you to educate me. What caliber is that bad boy BTW?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
5.5 inches for total overall length of 29.5 inches.

LC
Old 07-30-2012, 10:49 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sorry man, still too long for a fanny pack. A back pack, a pack saddle maybe but not a fanny pack. Unless one of course sports a mullet.
Ya, I see a lot of those old guys with fanny packs on at the beach...in front....with their wallets I suppose.

It'll fit nicely in my backpack....as planned. It's well suited to my needs. It'll pull out the '94 if I want a full-sized stock.

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
5.5 inches for total overall length of 29.5 inches.

LC
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Gone Hunting

A "mare's leg" is a shortened lever-action gun with a short barrel and a short (not shoulder friendly) butt stock. That is what I bought when I bought my Rossi.

The sights on the Rossi were not very functional so most people have replaced them in some way.

But it seems to me that when you add a longer butt stock you now have just a short barrelled rifle (or carbine) and not a mare's leg at all.

I will be hunting with a "mare's leg" this fall.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...