Your Optometrist in Edmonton

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 08-30-2012, 10:43 AM
MoFugger21's Avatar
MoFugger21 MoFugger21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,278
Default

My wife got stopped for our tinted windows on the car a while back, and the officer explained that it has to do with the safety of all drivers- being able to see the other driver (and vise-versa). (He did not mention it was illegal because of the safety of officers during traffic stops.)

He made the point of stopping at a four way stop at the same time as someone to your left. Typically people will stare at the other driver, and then make a motion for one or other to proceed. Or if no motion is made, at least you can see the other driver to make sure they are paying attention and they notice you're at the intersection as well- and that it is safe to proceed through the intersection. If the front windows are tinted, this makes it difficult.

With that said, my wife managed to get out of a ticket and we still have the tint on the car.... oops.
  #32  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 AM
ccmckee's Avatar
ccmckee ccmckee is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Irricana
Posts: 370
Default

Take a wlak past the local police department parking lot and see how many of their personal vehicles have tinted windows, i know of at least 4 in Airdire RCMP.
  #33  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:31 AM
CaberTosser's Avatar
CaberTosser CaberTosser is online now
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 10,074
Default

I'm with MoFugger, it's more to do with interacting visually with your fellow motorists than officer safety and police observation, at least in daily practical use. Drivers need to see other drivers for all manner of things, we're not operating submarines through periscopes here.

I did have a car in my youth that was blackout tinted in the rear 3 windows (a 2-door hatchback), but the door windows were tinted to a much lesser extent and I had bought it that way.
__________________
"The trouble with people idiot-proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot." Me
  #34  
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM
bubba 96 bubba 96 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Which is complete BS. I'd be more concerned about the guy in the back seat with a gun pointed at the officer the whole time. That is more likely than a driver doing something. If I approach my vehicle to talk to my wife, I can see perfectly what she is doing inside (with the window up). If this was such a big LEO safety thing, you'd think the most dangerous places in N.A. wouldn't allow it (texas/cali/NY/etc.).

Personally some laws (including this one) really need to be revisited (justified).

Majority of the time LEO's will not ticket you for tinted windows unless you did something else to attract their attention (unless of course there's an equipment violation sting that week).


Why have tinting laws been put into place with respect to motor vehicles?

Law enforcement officers are always nervous when approaching a motor vehicle with unknown occupants. They want to be able to see the driver and the occupants. This way they can identify the driver and occupants and allows them to see if there are any weapons in the vehicle or unusual behaviour from any of the occupants. Reduced tinting provides them with a comfort level they feel they need to perform their jobs, when pulling over or approaching motor vehicles



Taken from the book "Traffic Ticket Book"
  #35  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Iron Brew Iron Brew is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stony Plain
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
The sheriff is quite correct. A vehicle that does not comply cannot be operated. His way of dealing with it might be flawed. Complain about him if you want I'm writing. But no doubt more cars will get towed once a few officers get sick of the complaints.
Nope. RCMP, not sheriff, and never had any complaints about the officer. Was very polite and professional. Mind you, I've NEVER been in the habit of being a dick to officers. Not wise.
__________________
"Uhmm I don't know about you but most people that believe in zombies are not afraid, they're excited."

Proudly stolen from Killerb

"Problem really is that these folks raise their kids the same way...." Treeguy
  #36  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM
rem338win's Avatar
rem338win rem338win is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cowtown, agian
Posts: 1,192
Default

Look in the corner of the windshield and the passenger and driver's windows for the writing. There is a safety code there. If you put a film on that glass that is negated, which according to Transport Canada is unsafe and therefore contrary to the TSA. That glass is intended to absorb a certain amount of energy, and to break in a certain manner and the film screws that up. As for the film, it can be clear, orange, purple, black or mirrored, it doesn't matter, not ok.

There is nothing in the TSA about it being for officer safety.

Tint inherent to the glass and part of the manufacturers inspected approval is A-OK.

If the color or tint is dark or distracting enought that it impairs the drivers ability to see that is a seperate charge and matter, not the one being discussed.
  #37  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Saltmania's Avatar
Saltmania Saltmania is online now
AO Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 547
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm with MoFugger, it's more to do with interacting visually with your fellow motorists than officer safety and police observation, at least in daily practical use. Drivers need to see other drivers for all manner of things, we're not operating submarines through periscopes here.
I absolutely agree with this 100%. When I'm driving it's very helpful to be able to tell if other drivers are aware of you. Seeing nothing but a blacked out window is really annoying at times.
  #38  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
bubba 96 bubba 96 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 1,595
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Look in the corner of the windshield and the passenger and driver's windows for the writing. There is a safety code there. If you put a film on that glass that is negated, which according to Transport Canada is unsafe and therefore contrary to the TSA. That glass is intended to absorb a certain amount of energy, and to break in a certain manner and the film screws that up. As for the film, it can be clear, orange, purple, black or mirrored, it doesn't matter, not ok.

There is nothing in the TSA about it being for officer safety.

Tint inherent to the glass and part of the manufacturers inspected approval is A-OK.

If the color or tint is dark or distracting enought that it impairs the drivers ability to see that is a seperate charge and matter, not the one being discussed.


If its due to glass saftey, how come the rear windows and rear doors passenger and driver glass is ok to tint by law...
  #39  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
JB_AOL JB_AOL is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,927
Default

Quote:
Law enforcement officers are always nervous when approaching a motor vehicle with unknown occupants. They want to be able to see the driver and the occupants. This way they can identify the driver and occupants and allows them to see if there are any weapons in the vehicle or unusual behaviour from any of the occupants. Reduced tinting provides them with a comfort level they feel they need to perform their jobs, when pulling over or approaching motor vehicles
Taken from the book "Traffic Ticket Book"
ok.. so using exactly what you wrote, how does tinted front windows make it any safer, when you have no idea whats going on in the back seat? Remember there could be 3 passengers in the back seat all with guns pointed at the officer as he approaches.

Not to mention right in "your" paragraph it says reduced tinting. You don't even really know what we're talking about do you?

Why is any tinting legal if it's such a big concern?

I know this is all "what ifs" but that's what the law's based off. No facts, nothing..

I'll say it again, if it's soo imperative to the officers safety that the front windows can't be tinted, why do some of the most dangerous places in N.A. allow it?

And sorry, but this is a KNOWN risk when you apply to any force. If you aren't comfortable confronting an unknown person as a LEO, then it's time to consider a career change.
  #40  
Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
rancho-non-relaxo rancho-non-relaxo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
ok.. so using exactly what you wrote, how does tinted front windows make it any safer, when you have no idea whats going on in the back seat? Remember there could be 3 passengers in the back seat all with guns pointed at the officer as he approaches.

Not to mention right in "your" paragraph it says reduced tinting. You don't even really know what we're talking about do you?

Why is any tinting legal if it's such a big concern?

I know this is all "what ifs" but that's what the law's based off. No facts, nothing..

I'll say it again, if it's soo imperative to the officers safety that the front windows can't be tinted, why do some of the most dangerous places in N.A. allow it?

And sorry, but this is a KNOWN risk when you apply to any force. If you aren't comfortable confronting an unknown person as a LEO, then it's time to consider a career change.

It is in the Traffic Safety Act under Vehicle Equiptment Regulations. It is about the driver being able to maintain control of the vehicle for as long as possible. Eg traffic saafety
  #41  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
JB_AOL JB_AOL is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,927
Default

You do know that placing a tint film on glass would actually keep it together longer right? think about it, a film with glue attached to the glass..
  #42  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM
rancho-non-relaxo rancho-non-relaxo is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 58
Default

Yep it does and it comes into the vehicle like a blade and slices the driver to pieces. Seen it before.
  #43  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Calgary Dave Calgary Dave is offline
Deactivated
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SW Calgary
Posts: 2,775
Default

Good grief, you guys really know how to argue. It doesn't matter "WHY" the law was brought into effect. For all we know, legislature felt tinting the windows attracted death rays from Mars....

But here is the Law:

Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alta Reg 322/2002

Quote:
Window glazing

69(1) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a windshield or in a left or right side window of a motor vehicle that is beside or forward of the driver with a transparent, translucent or opaque material.

(2) A person shall not install, replace or cover the rear window glazing in a motor vehicle with a transparent, translucent or opaque material unless the motor vehicle has outside rear view mirrors on both the left and right that comply with section 72(2).

(3) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a motor vehicle with a material that reflects the headlamps of approaching vehicles into the eyes of the driver of another vehicle.

(4) A person shall not install, replace or cover the window glazing in a motor vehicle with a material that reflects sunlight into the eyes of the driver of another vehicle.

(5) A person may replace the window glazing installed by the manufacturer of a motor vehicle with the same type of glazing.

(6) A person may apply clear untinted frost shields to a window of a motor vehicle only if they do not impair the view through the window by discolouring, scratching or damaging the glazing.

(7) A person may apply stickers to the window of a motor vehicle only if they do not limit the driverís field of vision or otherwise impair the safe operation of the motor vehicle.
Putting after market tint or film, whether it's 0%, 10%, 50% or 90% tint, is illegal and punishable by a fine.

/thread.
  #44  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:50 PM
MoFugger21's Avatar
MoFugger21 MoFugger21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
Good grief, you guys really know how to argue. It doesn't matter "WHY" the law was brought into effect. For all we know, legislature felt tinting the windows attracted death rays from Mars....
Nobody is debating that fact that it IS a law.... Good lord... Nothing wrong with having a discussion as to why it's a law. If we all just took things at face value and caved to the fact that "that's the way it is, because well, that's just the way it is," we'd still be living in the stone age. Discussing the "why" not only gives people a better understanding, but paves the way for change on certain things.
  #45  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Calgary Dave Calgary Dave is offline
Deactivated
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SW Calgary
Posts: 2,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Nobody is debating that fact that it IS a law.... Good lord... Nothing wrong with having a discussion as to why it's a law. If we all just took things at face value and caved to the fact that "that's the way it is, because well, that's just the way it is," we'd still be living in the stone age. Discussing the "why" not only gives people a better understanding, but paves the way for change on certain things.
LOL...since when, on AO, has a "discussion" with differences of opinion, especially when it's based on mere speculation and opinion, ever resulted in anything but eventual insults and a at the end.

It's quite humourous actually....so, please...don't let me stop you. I'll just grab some
  #46  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:13 PM
MoFugger21's Avatar
MoFugger21 MoFugger21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
LOL...since when, on AO, has a "discussion" with differences of opinion, especially when it's based on mere speculation and opinion, ever resulted in anything but eventual insults and a at the end.

It's quite humourous actually....so, please...don't let me stop you. I'll just grab some
Who cares why/what/how/when people are discussing... It's a bloody online forum meant for discussion. You don't want to be part of the discussion, then it's pretty easy to stay out it (well for some maybe...) But ya, I guess if you want to keep up with your usual passive-agressive attitude towards others on here, then you're probably correct about this particular discussion....

Back on topic- while I understand the merits of the law, I have no intention of taking the tint off our car until told to/forced to. It helps keep the sun out, and it's easier to laugh at bad drivers when they can't see you!
  #47  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Calgary Dave Calgary Dave is offline
Deactivated
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SW Calgary
Posts: 2,775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
... It's a bloody online forum meant for discussion. You don't want to be part of the discussion, then it's pretty easy to stay out it (well for some maybe...) But ya, I guess if you want to keep up with your usual passive-agressive attitude towards others on here, then you're probably correct about this particular discussion...
I rest my case....
  #48  
Old 08-30-2012, 03:23 PM
MoFugger21's Avatar
MoFugger21 MoFugger21 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
I rest my case....
Pretty weak case if you ask me. Keep on, keeping on Dave.... Bye for now.
  #49  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM
JB_AOL JB_AOL is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,927
Default

Yes Dave, we know it's illegal, but as mentioned no one (cops included) can give a proper reason.

Rancho, yes I've 'heard' That also, but no one can say that the plain glass wouldn't of done the same thing. I have also seen a rally car barrel roll and tinted shattered glass kept his arms inside the car (similar to window nets in NASCAR). So it could be debated either way.
  #50  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM
rem338win's Avatar
rem338win rem338win is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cowtown, agian
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
If its due to glass saftey, how come the rear windows and rear doors passenger and driver glass is ok to tint by law...
Because they are unlikely to hit the driver. And technically it isn't legal to apply tintthe same as the fronts. Most vehicles glass is tinted rears from the factory so does not conflict with the rating in the corner.
I read the Traffic Safety Act to find this out. If you want to know for sure, stop conjecting and read it yourself.
It is not legal to alter any item on a vehicle that has been inspected and certified with a safety rating unless it is approved by the manufacturer. . Tires, glass, seats, seatbelts, suspension, etc.
  #51  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:19 PM
Big Daddy Badger Big Daddy Badger is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So if that is really the reason for the law,an absolutely clear film would also be illegal?



Much more believable.
I believe it is so the officers can see that you aren't reaching for more than your license and registration.
  #52  
Old 08-30-2012, 07:55 PM
super7mag's Avatar
super7mag super7mag is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vermilion ab
Posts: 1,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
There was a warning letter e-mailed out this wk from MDA Co-Auto about tinting, mudflap height & width and aftermarket HID headlight installs. Apparently the province has decided to enforce this for a while.
GOtta offset the the deficit some how!!!
  #53  
Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 PM
bigd bigd is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Calgary
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Look in the corner of the windshield and the passenger and driver's windows for the writing. There is a safety code there. If you put a film on that glass that is negated, which according to Transport Canada is unsafe and therefore contrary to the TSA. That glass is intended to absorb a certain amount of energy, and to break in a certain manner and the film screws that up. As for the film, it can be clear, orange, purple, black or mirrored, it doesn't matter, not ok.

There is nothing in the TSA about it being for officer safety.

Tint inherent to the glass and part of the manufacturers inspected approval is A-OK.

If the color or tint is dark or distracting enought that it impairs the drivers ability to see that is a seperate charge and matter, not the one being discussed.
bingo, we have a winner. Except for the part about there being a separate charge for dark tint- same charge, same offence, same fine amount.

To me, the biggest reason for tint laws is due to the negative effect they have on your visibility at night. Do drivers wear sunglasses when they drive at night? Never pulled one over that was...can't see $chitt at night with them on. Tinted film has a similar effect. Think about driving through a crosswalk at night in the city...or pulling out from a parallel parking spot at night while a pedestrian or cyclist is passing by. Pretty tough to see cyclists or pedestrians in these situations at the best of times, let alone with tinted film on your windows.

Also, the comment about 'factory tint' no longer applies. Most, if not all, factory tint on the front driver/passenger windows these days is not installed at the 'factory', it is farmed out to tint companies after dealers take delivery of the vehicle. Each and every person that I've stopped for tint in the last 10 years that claims 'factory tint' has had a tinted adhesive film applied from the 'factory'. Manufacturers simply don't tint or smoke the glass in front driver/passenger windows anymore. Haven't in years.

I'm sure a certain someone out there will chime in with the 'real truth' about factory tint lol
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Sir Edmund Burke
  #54  
Old 08-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Big Daddy Badger Big Daddy Badger is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
My wife got stopped for our tinted windows on the car a while back, and the officer explained that it has to do with the safety of all drivers- being able to see the other driver (and vise-versa). (He did not mention it was illegal because of the safety of officers during traffic stops.)

He made the point of stopping at a four way stop at the same time as someone to your left. Typically people will stare at the other driver, and then make a motion for one or other to proceed. Or if no motion is made, at least you can see the other driver to make sure they are paying attention and they notice you're at the intersection as well- and that it is safe to proceed through the intersection. If the front windows are tinted, this makes it difficult.

With that said, my wife managed to get out of a ticket and we still have the tint on the car.... oops.
That sort of makes sense... eye contact between drivers and between drivers and pedestrians at intersections for instance....is often important.
  #55  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Calgary Dave Calgary Dave is offline
Deactivated
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SW Calgary
Posts: 2,775
Default

bump.....
  #56  
Old 06-13-2013, 06:31 PM
bigd bigd is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: near Calgary
Posts: 996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
bump.....
Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!?!!!!
__________________
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Sir Edmund Burke
  #57  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:34 PM
oddsix oddsix is offline
Deactivated
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
My wife got stopped for our tinted windows on the car a while back, and the officer explained that it has to do with the safety of all drivers- being able to see the other driver (and vise-versa). (He did not mention it was illegal because of the safety of officers during traffic stops.)

He made the point of stopping at a four way stop at the same time as someone to your left. Typically people will stare at the other driver, and then make a motion for one or other to proceed. Or if no motion is made, at least you can see the other driver to make sure they are paying attention and they notice you're at the intersection as well- and that it is safe to proceed through the intersection. If the front windows are tinted, this makes it difficult.

With that said, my wife managed to get out of a ticket and we still have the tint on the car.... oops.

Careful karma can be a female dog.
  #58  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Albertadiver's Avatar
Albertadiver Albertadiver is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post
bump.....
Sinner!
__________________
Quote:
I hear Banjos.....

RUN!
  #59  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
oddsix oddsix is offline
Deactivated
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 92
Default

Awesome bump.
  #60  
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 22,167
Default

I bought a very classy Sport truck years ago, with tinted windows.
He drove it for several years.
The first summer I had it I got TWO tickets in ONE day wit it!!
Ft. Mac, Spruce grove, and Barrhead - the Barrhead cop let me off when I told him I was taking the tint off as soon as I got to an auto store that sold the stuff to take it off!!
Cat
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.