Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2012, 06:19 PM

Default spark plug change on 5.4l triton

Found a mechanic here in Airdrie that did my plugs for me today for $150. I supplied the plugs, purchased online for $90. The deal was $150 plus an extra $50 per broken plug (No broken plugs...woohoo!) Says he's done at least a hundred spark plug jobs on these motors, rarely breaks any.

I went in to Zender Ford in Spruce Grove back before my transfer south and they wouldn't give me a straight quote but said it wouldn't likely be any less than $900 +.

If anybody is interested in hiring this guy, send me a pm. I'm not 100% sure at the moment if he would want me to put his name/number 'out there'.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:31 PM

thats sucks that you can't even change the plugs your self, I guess one good reason not to buy an ford.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Those motors are a pain in the you know what to change the plugs on. All deeply inset and known to break off.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM

I owned a 2001 super crew for 10 yrs. I avoided changing the plugs because of the horror stories I'd heard. At the 300,000 km mark I finally bit the bullet and changed the plugs. None were stuck. Definitely perked it up!!!! LOL
Less than a tank of fuel later I got broadsided and the truck was written off!!!:{

I later found out it was the 04 engines is when the problem of frozen and broke plugs started. They apparently fixed the problem after a couple model years.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM

My son has an 04 and changed the plugs last month. Every one broke and it took hours for a journyman to do. Good thing the mechanic was his friend. Why do manufacturers do this?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:12 PM

I had mine done just before they were scheduled...150k vs 160k not a single one broke...had a tune up and fuel filter replaced all at the same time the plugs alone are around $20 each X8....think the final bill was around $650 total parts and labour.

LC
Old 12-14-2012, 08:26 PM

wow, and i thought that this guy i know was pulling my leg when he said $500 for a plug job, and how it was easier to lift the cab for this task.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
wow, and i thought that this guy i know was pulling my leg when he said $500 for a plug job, and how it was easier to lift the cab for this task.
It's easier to work on the front brakes if you pull the cab too, but I would not do it for either job.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM

I believe they fixed the broke plug issue in mid 05. I just paid 229 to have a Ford Dealer change my plugs in my 01 5.4L. Took them all afternoon but hey at least I didn't have to do it. TO bad they didn't stick with the 351's. Didn't have that problem.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 PM

I phoned a couple paces to do the plugs on my 2001 4.6 v8 for a joke, was quoted 4-6 hours if all went well, and from $400 - $600. I reminded them this was not a 3v engine, but I guess it came out more like " ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR £€%#$&@ MIND???"

I was told I could tinker around on it, at home but it would take me an entire day because of the coils on plugs, injector rails being in the way, fluff fluff fluff....

New plugs, boots, coil wire springs and dielectric grease, installed in less than an hour.

I love my garage.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I believe they fixed the broke plug issue in mid 05. I just paid 229 to have a Ford Dealer change my plugs in my 01 5.4L. Took them all afternoon but hey at least I didn't have to do it. TO bad they didn't stick with the 351's. Didn't have that problem.
My '05 still has the stupid plugs. 5000 km on mine.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Pulled the plugs to re gap on my 12 Eco. Easy peesy.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I phoned a couple paces to do the plugs on my 2001 4.6 v8 for a joke, was quoted 4-6 hours if all went well, and from $400 - $600. I reminded them this was not a 3v engine, but I guess it came out more like " ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR £€%#$&@ MIND???"

I was told I could tinker around on it, at home but it would take me an entire day because of the coils on plugs, injector rails being in the way, fluff fluff fluff....

New plugs, boots, coil wire springs and dielectric grease, installed in less than an hour.

I love my garage.
I love your garage too, it is a great space. FS
Old 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Every domestic or import truck comes with its advantages and setbacks. Nobody is making a perfect truck.

I have had a 2v and 3v 5.4 and neither had plugs break. Use penetrating oil, and take your time. A lot of places use air ratchets because it is so tight in there, thus taking away any feel.

If you're not doing them yourself, phone around, some mechanics would rather see you back on the road, some just would love to pull your broken plugs for a $1000 labor. This will be apparent by the variety of responses and quotes you get.

Merry Christmas.

BTW: Both Cochrane Ford and Carstairs Ford say they don't break one every couple of jobs. Crowfoot Ford suggested they break 5/8.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM

Bought a 2001 with a 5.4L The plugs had NEVER been changed until we did it when we bought it. The truck had 246000 km,s on it . Never broke any plugs. Maybe we just got lucky?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Had my 07 V-10 done 8 plug broke off at the stealership this was at 150k on the clock
Old 12-15-2012, 10:59 AM

personally i think there should be a class action suit against ford for that BS of a nightmare when it comes to such a necessary job as regular plug changes ...
Old 12-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderheart View Post
personally i think there should be a class action suit against ford for that BS of a nightmare when it comes to such a necessary job as regular plug changes ...
x2 The plugs were a poor design and Ford should have stepped up and done something for their customers.

I had the plugs on my '05 done this Fall at 165,000 kms. My local independent mechanic didn't want to touch the job and I decided against doing it myself. The estimate that I got from the Ford dealership was from $500 to $800. Every plug broke off and the mechanic was 5 minutes away from stating that the heads needed to be removed for the last plug. Luckily, he finally got it out.

The final cost for parts and labour was $800......for a darned plug change!!!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Luckily the real bad ones weren't around for too long,but definitely enough out there to cause grief. I did an 08 the other day, really glad it wasn't an 05! The very back plug on the passenger side is a bit of a pain,but other than that it's actually not oo bad. if you do break a plug,the extractor kit you can buy at NAPA actually works quite well,most of the time. I,for one,will be happy to see less and less of these particular motors coming into the shop.The new line is much nicer to work on,in most regards.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Have changed my plugs in my 2000 twice now 380000 on it never broke a plug couple tough ones not to bad engine has to be cold an only tourque plugs to 10 or 15 lbs cant quite remember witch one but not to bad of a job
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Default contact mechanic in Airdrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Found a mechanic here in Airdrie that did my plugs for me today for $150. I supplied the plugs, purchased online for $90. The deal was $150 plus an extra $50 per broken plug (No broken plugs...woohoo!) Says he's done at least a hundred spark plug jobs on these motors, rarely breaks any.

I went in to Zender Ford in Spruce Grove back before my transfer south and they wouldn't give me a straight quote but said it wouldn't likely be any less than $900 +.

If anybody is interested in hiring this guy, send me a pm. I'm not 100% sure at the moment if he would want me to put his name/number 'out there'.
Would you still have the contact info. for the mechanic in Airdrie.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:48 PM

my chev 91 z-24 with the 3.1 litre, had to undo motor mounts pull motor forward the get the back 3 plugs....or have handle like an 11 yr old,,,
Old 01-07-2013, 06:04 PM

Just FYI, the '00 and '01 do not have the spark plug problems. They are standard plugs.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Just FYI, the '00 and '01 do not have the spark plug problems. They are standard plugs.
Really, I have an 00 and my dealer told me they do so he do a diagnostic test to prove they are all good.

I feel cheated
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBuzz View Post
Really, I have an 00 and my dealer told me they do so he do a diagnostic test to prove they are all good.

I feel cheated
I just did my 2001, and it was standard plugs. The 3v engines were the problem ones. My truck was running rough, but not throwing any codes. I put on a snap on scanner updated to 2012 and there were no codes there either. Changed plugs, boots and oil wires, purrs like a kitten now, took less than an hour.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I just did my 2001, and it was standard plugs. The 3v engines were the problem ones. My truck was running rough, but not throwing any codes. I put on a snap on scanner updated to 2012 and there were no codes there either. Changed plugs, boots and oil wires, purrs like a kitten now, took less than an hour.
Well that is good to know, looks like I need to go have a chat with a service manager.
Thanks
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 PM

I just had the plugs done in my 98 f250 xl and it cost 350. One plug was stuck in and it took a day of soaking it to get it out. Gigantic pain in th butt. Glad it doesnt have to be done every few months thts for sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
Luckily the real bad ones weren't around for too long,but definitely enough out there to cause grief. I did an 08 the other day, really glad it wasn't an 05! The very back plug on the passenger side is a bit of a pain,but other than that it's actually not oo bad. if you do break a plug,the extractor kit you can buy at NAPA actually works quite well,most of the time. I,for one,will be happy to see less and less of these particular motors coming into the shop.The new line is much nicer to work on,in most regards.
Does anyone know if the 2005 with the 4.6 has the same issues with the plugs? Have to get mine done soon. I bought the plugs, but when i saw the set-up it made me wary. I've done my own tune-ups for 20yrs, but this is the first time i was faced with this issue.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM

all fitz auto in airdrie is a awesome shop to get work done onyour vechiles

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 01-12-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the info, but i need someone who's dependable in Edmonton to go to. Anyone have any suggestions?