Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Minn Kota - Endura vs Max

I'm in the market to get an electric trolling motor, yet I'm really not sure what I really need and want. I noticed the price difference between the Minn Kota Max and the Endura, and I'd imagine theres quite a bit of difference in power.

I currently have a 14' fiberglass boat, but I'm going to get a 16' someday in the next couple of years. So, I'd think it would be better to get a trolling motor thats for a 16' boat.

I've used the 'select a motor' feature at Minn Kota.com, but its hard to use. Its almost always windy where I fish so I'd like to have more power then I need, but I'd think a . I'm not sure I can or would want to spend $500 for one, but the $200-$250 is the most I'd like to spend.

I seen a couple 30 lbs thrust Minn kota's in the paper for $100. I have two batteries from a semi, that I hope to use but they've been on the ground for 4 months. Anyways, I wondered if it would be better to have 2 30 lbs motors, or one 44 lbs? I could fab up something to let you steer both in unison, or attach them to the OB motor so I could steer with the steering wheel.

I'm just looking for some advice from you guys who own them. Anyone use or have used the "engine mount" electric trolling motors?

Last edited by PlayDoh; 06-22-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:18 AM

Default Hi!

I use the Max 40 lb and really like it. The adj speed vs the 1,2,3 of the Endura is very nice to have. I use it on a 250 lb Jon boat and a 16 ft, 54 lb canoe. It pushes both just fine but of course the boat takes up more battery power. In the long run I think you'd be better off with the Max, but of course it is more $$$$. As for the batteries it seems the only way to go is with deep cycle that have been charged a minimum of 6-8 hours. I keep 3 batteries between the RV and the boat and can always have motor power (although not always a furnace fan lol lol)
I have a friend who has had quite a few Minn's and says he will never buy a motor mount again-he prefers a hull mount on his big Malibu.
Hope this helps!
Tony
Old 06-22-2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks Tony.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Default motor

Ijust bought the endura 55lb thrust motor and am very happy with it,I have a 12ft Lund fairly heavy, lots of wind here too but works pretty good.Not advizable to go to small.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 PM

I bought the Edura 55 lbs too and I couldnt imagine anything smaller.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:02 PM

I'm still puzzled at the cost of the Maxxum and the Endura. Theres a 38 lbs Endura for $190 at costco, and a 33 Maxxum for $290 at Canadian Tire. WTF?
I cant see the 'tiller' option being worth that much. Minn Kota does a pretty bad job of describing the differences in technical terms.

Tilt handle, and variable speed are the only real differences they describe. I'm only really interested in having enough power, and I'd like to think that if I bought a 33 lbs Endura, or a 33 lbs Maxxum, that they have the same amount of power. The price hints to that not being so.

Thanks for the Endura 55 lbs recommendations, I honestly would have thought that would be over-kill. I'm starting to wonder if a kicker might be a better choice, if I'm going to need to spend that much on electric. I mostly spend around a week without power, so my battery needs might be impractical.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Default minn kota

From experience..the additional cost of the "Max"-maxumizer feature, which will give you a much greater battery use time- is well worth the extra cost. The lower priced "Endura" works fine but goes through the battery in about 8-10 hours. hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Banned

On a 16ft boat in windy conditions, I wouldn't go less than 55lbs if you plan on doing a fair bit of trolling. You're better off to go with more thrust than you need and run the motor at low speed than under power the TM and have to run it at close to full power in order to do what you want to do. Otherwise your battery life and the life of the TM will be pretty short.

The Max will give you better battery life and far more control of your speed, which is really nice, and important for certain presentations. I think you get what you pay for.

If you troll most of the time, consider a 4 stroke kicker, but they aren't cheap and they're REALLY hard to find used.

There aren't too many electric setups out there that will last for a week without a recharge if you're using them consistently every day. I know my 24V setup is only good for about two days at most of fairly consistent low speed use. High winds or higher speeds where you're running it hard and it's only good for the day. You'd need to have 2-3 batteries IMHO to last the week.

I really don't like the engine mounted TMs. The real beauty of a TM is the ability to steer precisely and quickly, and to travel both forward and backward with equal efficiency. You don't get either of those benefits from and engine mounted TM. You're limited to the steering range of your outboard, and the efficiency in reverse is really poor. They are an option, but if you can rig a bow mounted or transom mounted system, they are better.

Waxy
Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned

PlayDoh,

Be sure to check EBay, there's some pretty amazing deals on there for MinnKota TMs.

Waxy