Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Hypothetical question

It's archery season for elk. You are lucky enough to successfully drop a nice big bull with your bow. You quarter up your downed game and begin the tedious and long packing trips back and forth to your truck or camp. After the first trip you trade your bow for a rifle, you know, just in case. On one of you trips with an elk quarter in your truck and one on your back, you run Into fish and game officer. He asks you why you have a rifle and an elk in archery season. You explain that you used your bow and packing the rifle for protection. He doesn't beleive you. What happens? Is it up to you to prove yourself to him?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 PM

Yes you have to prove it.
Would be easy to tell if the animal was shot with a now or rifle.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM

You don't have to prove anything, the officer has to prove you were doing more than what you stated. There is no law against carrying a firearm during bow season.

Should be no problem, unless you are trying to pull a fast one.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:15 PM

There would be no pulling of anything fast. Just curious as it would be pretty plausible for that situation to happen. I know it would be easy to tell an arrow shot from a gun shot but would he/she be willing to follow you to the kill site to verify? Hmmmm maybe they would help pack out the rest?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM

He has to prove that you used the rifle. You are innocent until proven guilty.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
Hmmmm maybe they would help pack out the rest?
That would be the proper thing. Leave some room for doubt so that he will go back to the kill site with you. Nothing wrong with some company and a helping hand. Yeah.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
That would be the proper thing. Leave some room for doubt so that he will go back to the kill site with you. Nothing wrong with some company and a helping hand. Yeah.
Anonomous phone cal to fish and game perhaps?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 PM

I agree with jacen and pudel , I would think fish cops would have to prove you used the gun .Who in their right mind would pack out an elk in bear country without a little insurance on their back ? To add to the speculation , do you bring the trophy head out first or last ?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I agree with jacen and pudel , I would think fish cops would have to prove you used the gun .Who in their right mind would pack out an elk in bear country without a little insurance on their back ? To add to the speculation , do you bring the trophy head out first or last ?
I've been thinking of that last part too. I don't know how heavy the head is but have thought that my first trip would def be the head and maybe back straps and tenderloins. If that was too heavy then just horn and head first.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:51 PM

Even if I killed an elk with a bow and had to pack it out piecemeal, I'd be packing on the return trip. Nothing a Grizz likes better than to find somebody's kill unattended and relieve you of it. Could get dicey real quick.

Grizz
Old 06-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I've been thinking of that last part too. I don't know how heavy the head is but have thought that my first trip would def be the head and maybe back straps and tenderloins. If that was too heavy then just horn and head first.
An axe or saw makes the antlers pack-able.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
An axe or saw makes the antlers pack-able.
I wouldn't want to cut the horn
Old 06-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Gun or no gun, I wouldn't be able to find my cancelled tag,............................... until he had packed all the elk back to the truck for evidence.

Then I would have one last look in my pocket and Voila!!!!! my cacelled tag.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Gun or no gun, I wouldn't be able to find my cancelled tag,............................... until he had packed all the elk back to the truck for evidence.

Then I would have one last look in my pocket and Voila!!!!! my cacelled tag.
Now I'm getting some bad, yet very good ideas!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Even if I killed an elk with a bow and had to pack it out piecemeal, I'd be packing on the return trip. Nothing a Grizz likes better than to find somebody's kill unattended and relieve you of it. Could get dicey real quick.

Grizz
There are members on this forum that have had that very problem ... and yes the bear won the contest .
Old 06-13-2013, 08:43 PM

[QUOTE=H380;2002621]There are members on this forum that have had that very problem ... and yes the bear won the contest

That wouldn't sit very well with me. I would have a very hard time giving something up to mr bear.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=Hogie135;2002634]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
There are members on this forum that have had that very problem ... and yes the bear won the contest

That wouldn't sit very well with me. I would have a very hard time giving something up to mr bear.
Not if he's breathing down your neck ..
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM

[QUOTE=H380;2002638]
Quote:

Not if he's breathing down your neck ..
how far away from anyone am I? hmmm. JK. I've never been in that situation and hope i never am. Just saying i would have a hard time with that.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM

It's a reasonable explanation. And the lack of a bullet wound on the elk would determine the truth.

I can't see a F&W officer trying to grill you without first having a look for themselves. And if they did, respectfully invite them to have a look.

Then ask for their card so you know who to call if you catch a poacher in the future.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I wouldn't want to cut the horn
You don`t,you split the skull cap.Unless it`s a book animal then don't because then it`s ineligable for scoring.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
You don`t,you split the skull cap.Unless it`s a book animal then don't because then it`s ineligable for scoring.
Oh
Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Default Gun for protection

I would suggest that you use a shotgun with buck shot for protection. It is highly recommended for dealing with grizz and would lower suspicion of F & W. Best combination is alternate buck shot and slugs in gun. Hope this helps. Most guys can not place good shot with rifle on a charging bear.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I would suggest that you use a shotgun with buck shot for protection. It is highly recommended for dealing with grizz and would lower suspicion of F & W. Best combination is alternate buck shot and slugs in gun. Hope this helps. Most guys can not place good shot with rifle on a charging bear.
Thanks, but wasn't really going for the which gun is better for bears kinda thread. Tons of those on here already. I don't have a shotgun and will more than likely have a rifle with me anyways along with my spray.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM

Hi

Im bringing my rifle for defense. I have a ton of elk meat and guts back there. Id be happy to have your company back to the kill site. Two sets of eyes are better than one.

There's your conversation.

Better yet, carry a Remington 770. No one would believe u shot anything with it
Old 06-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Banned

Up here you have to take the head out last. As well you are not allowed to shoot mr bear to protect your meat. That being said I guess in answer to the original question it would strongly depend on which fishcop stopped you. Some might look at the animal first, some might even help you pack it, but then theres trhat 1 in 100 jerk who thinks all hunters are lying.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nof60 View Post
Up here you have to take the head out last. As well you are not allowed to shoot mr bear to protect your meat. That being said I guess in answer to the original question it would strongly depend on which fishcop stopped you. Some might look at the animal first, some might even help you pack it, but then theres trhat 1 in 100 jerk who thinks all hunters are lying.
Really? You have to take the head out last? I won't argue it, it makes sense. I'm in it for the meat anyways but sure would suck to lose the horn from a first archery hunt and first elk hunt as well.

I would never shoot a bear to save my meat. If I walked up to that I would probably Shyte my pants anyways and leave as quickly as I could.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
X2 on this for defense only. F&W will only believe it was self defense when you show them the bite and claw marks on your leg.

Like early poster said Head last.
Pack out best and tasty bits first, then Quarters.

If your worried about bears eating your trophy that much, Carry the head and cape off about 100 yds, then stash it in a tree crotch with your stinky undershirt.
Bear will key in on the blood smell from the gut pile anyway

Last edited by Moosetalker; 06-14-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post
X2 on this for defense only. F&W will only believe it was self defense when you show them the bite and claw marks on your leg.

If your worried about bears eating your trophy that much, Carry the head and cape off about 100 yds, then stash it in a tree crotch with your stinky undershirt.
It was more a hypothetical question. I'm not worried about the bears. Ill have my K bar. They don't like it.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Oh
Take some spread measurements first.
Quite common to do this with caribou and moose is you have to fly them out.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetalker View Post

Drag the gut pile as far away as you can.
Remove a front shoulder from the carcass if you have to leave the animal.
A bear will likely grab the free shoulder rather than messing up the whole animal.