Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2013, 12:29 PM

Default Alberta guys... anybody hear of this?

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/doj-071920...an-clients.pdf
Old 07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

wow! thats a pretty extensive investigation (5 years ). if i'm reading that right those guys are looking at 35 yrs. in prison and half a million dollars each.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Banned

ya thats gonna suck, I hate to say it but serves them well if they were guilty. and Im only shocked that someone would risk 30 years of his life to smuggle a sheep hide. and the irony is that they would get less time if it was drugs they tried to smuggle
Old 07-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Default Wow

Can't say I'm surprised with that name being involved with shady dealings. Good thing he's got lots of coin, he's going to need it.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by on point View Post
Can't say I'm surprised with that name being involved with shady dealings. Good thing he's got lots of coin, he's going to need it.
x2.. I think the end of the road is near .. U.S. F&W takes this kinda stuff serious .
Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 PM

It says at "maximum" so they probably won't get that much but most likely the 250g's
Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

Last edited by elkhunter1234; 07-26-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 PM

Always interesting to see local gossip on here,....i live just down the road from one of the accused...if the name is right,......always two sides to a story,....
Old 07-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENWORTH View Post
Always interesting to see local gossip on here,....i live just down the road from one of the accused...if the name is right,......always two sides to a story,....
Just wanna know how it's gossip if the article was printed by the U.S. District attorney. Or did you not read the the thread attached? If guilty I hope they get taken to the cleaners!!!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainankiller View Post
Just wanna know how it's gossip if the article was printed by the U.S. District attorney. Or did you not read the the thread attached? If guilty I hope they get taken to the cleaners!!!
I think he might have been referring to post 4.

Anyhoo... I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.
Sucks to be them though... tougher sentences in the south.
Good for us if they are guilty though.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
I think he might have been referring to post 4.

Anyhoo... I guess we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.
Sucks to be them though... tougher sentences in the south.
Good for us if they are guilty though.
Isn't Alaska North?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Isn't Alaska North?
So it is...must have had the map upside down.

Either that or I wasn't concerned with geography so much as expressing that the states...most of which lies to our south tends to met out stiffer punishments.

Nitpicker...
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 AM

It's hard to believe the Outfitting Industry was involved in wildlife violations.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Where did you find this doc?
Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banik sk View Post
Where did you find this doc?
Talked to a guy from Anchorage the other day and he asked if I knew the guys. A quick search turned up this info. I don't know them but I'm sure that charges by the federal grand jury may be a tad bit serious in nature.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceba View Post
I don't know them but I'm sure that charges by the federal grand jury may be a tad bit serious in nature.
there was a very very famous case brought about in Utah a few years back with way more charges than this. 6 guys plea bargained as the couple hundred dollar fines were way less than lawyer fees to argue BS charges. one charge in particular was illegal guiding because as payment......no kidding....one guy paid for lunch for everyone at A&W one day.

the jury members after being dismissed went on record saying they would have found not guilty based on what they were told up front. full story was written in trophy hunter magazine a few years back.

the point? just because someone says somebody did something, does not mean they did it. I have seen firsthand how rumors, no matter how far fetched, can spread like wildfire. be interesting to see how this plays out. if they broke some laws, then punish them...but if not, there should be some accountability to the accusers. sometimes withc hunting happens. ted nugent was charged with some pretty weak crap not long ago too. the judge who was a hunter himself couldn't believe what he was hearing on it. turns out his charge was legit....kinda. I bet there would have been no charges if the name of the guy had been john smith though....
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM

" The indictment is the result of an extensive joint United States and Canadian investigation. Starting in January 2013, Canada Crown prosecutors in Alberta, and Yukon Territory Canada, charged approximately 17 subjects with 55 violations under Wild Animal and Plant Protection and the Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA). These charges were in relation to the illegal guided hunts charged above and the illegal import of unlawful wildlife from the United States into Canada. The Canadian trials are scheduled to begin in the fall of 2013"

"Mr. Feldis commends the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska Wildlife Troopers, Environment Canada, Yukon Conservation Officer Service, Alberta Fish and Game, Parks Canada, British Columbia Conservation Officer Service, and the Public Prosecution Service of Canada for the international cooperation extended in the investigation of these cases."

With this many people and charges in so many jurisdictions , by so many agencies it is hard to think these are trumped up false/frivilous charges. A grand Jury also feels that there is sufficient evidence to obtain convictions.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:04 PM

I agree that there is alot government agents involved,...and the charges are a pretty big deal. But to wait years to lay them?..... why so long?....dont make sence...its not like the charges are for small stuff.....And ive never seen fish and wildlife wait for anything, they pounce on the first thing they can.

Local gossip,....lol. was a bad choice of words, local news I should have said...i live not far from one of the accused....and its not a very big place, news like this generally spreds like a summer prairie fire amongst hunters in the community

Ill stand by my statement ......innocent till PROVEN guilty.......then one can judge.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:32 PM

Default To the courts.....

Yep, let's let the courts/judge decide. Throw the book at them if guilty, apologizes of the court if innocent. Justice - "Western style".
Old 12-28-2013, 10:50 PM

Old 12-28-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice tea View Post

Don't be afraid....

Update.

http://ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default.asp...n&n=4AB933E2-1

2013-10-22

Operation Bruin Leads to a Conviction and Penalty for Dunmore, Alberta, Resident

MEDICINE HAT, Alta – October 22, 2013 – John (Jack) Whitmarsh of Dunmore, Alberta, was convicted on October 16, 2013, in Alberta Provincial Court on two counts for illegally possessing and importing an Alaskan brown bear into Canada. Whitmarsh was sentenced to pay $15,000 for violating subsection 6(1) and paragraph 8(a) of the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA).

The Environmental Damages Fund (EDF) will receive $13,500 of the $15,000. Whitmarsh is also prohibited for a period of two years from importing wildlife into Canada and travelling outside of Alberta for the purposes of hunting. He was required to forfeit the hide and skull seized during the investigation.

This resolution is one element of Operation Bruin, an extensive three year multi‑agency international investigation into the illegal hunting of Alaskan wildlife. Environment Canada, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska Wildlife Troopers and Alberta Fish & Wildlife worked together after Alaskan authorities determined that several Alberta hunters were illegally killing brown bears and importing them into Canada. The investigation revealed that, in addition to the brown bears, a number of mountain goats and two black bears were also allegedly illegally harvested and imported into Canada.

Investigators in Canada seized seven brown bears, five mountain goats, two black bears, four ducks and three wolverines during the investigation. Import and export of all species of bear are controlled by the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES).

To date, 15 Alberta residents have been charged by Environment Canada for alleged contraventions of WAPPRIITA, and two, including John Whitmarsh, have been convicted as a result of Operation Bruin. Lyle Whitmarsh of Cochrane, Alberta, was previously convicted on March 22, 2013 in Calgary Provincial Court for illegally importing a brown bear that was illegally killed in Alaska. He was fined $4,000, of which $3,600 will go to the EDF. Additionally, Lyle Whitmarsh was ordered to declare all wildlife imports into Canada to Environment Canada for a period of two years. He also forfeited an Alaska brown bear skull and hide.

As a further result of the investigation, three Alaska residents have also been indicted in Alaska, along with a guide. A fourth Alaskan has also been charged in both the United States and Canada.

Environment Canada enforces federal laws that protect wildlife. Any CITES-listed wildlife imported into Canada, exported from Canada, or attempted to be exported without the required permits is subject to seizure and forfeiture, and those responsible are liable to prosecution.

The Environmental Damages Fund, administered by Environment Canada, was created in 1995 to provide a mechanism for directing funds received as a result of fines, court orders and voluntary payments for the repair of the actual harm done to the environment.

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations
Environment Canada
819-934-8008
Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Don't be afraid....

Update.

http://ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default.asp...n&n=4AB933E2-1

2013-10-22

Operation Bruin Leads to a Conviction and Penalty for Dunmore, Alberta, Resident

MEDICINE HAT, Alta – October 22, 2013 – John (Jack) Whitmarsh of Dunmore, Alberta, was convicted on October 16, 2013, in Alberta Provincial Court on two counts for illegally possessing and importing an Alaskan brown bear into Canada. Whitmarsh was sentenced to pay $15,000 for violating subsection 6(1) and paragraph 8(a) of the Wild Animal and Plant Protection and Regulation of International and Interprovincial Trade Act (WAPPRIITA).

The Environmental Damages Fund (EDF) will receive $13,500 of the $15,000. Whitmarsh is also prohibited for a period of two years from importing wildlife into Canada and travelling outside of Alberta for the purposes of hunting. He was required to forfeit the hide and skull seized during the investigation.

This resolution is one element of Operation Bruin, an extensive three year multi‑agency international investigation into the illegal hunting of Alaskan wildlife. Environment Canada, the United States Fish and Wildlife Service, Alaska Wildlife Troopers and Alberta Fish & Wildlife worked together after Alaskan authorities determined that several Alberta hunters were illegally killing brown bears and importing them into Canada. The investigation revealed that, in addition to the brown bears, a number of mountain goats and two black bears were also allegedly illegally harvested and imported into Canada.

Investigators in Canada seized seven brown bears, five mountain goats, two black bears, four ducks and three wolverines during the investigation. Import and export of all species of bear are controlled by the Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Flora and Fauna (CITES).

To date, 15 Alberta residents have been charged by Environment Canada for alleged contraventions of WAPPRIITA, and two, including John Whitmarsh, have been convicted as a result of Operation Bruin. Lyle Whitmarsh of Cochrane, Alberta, was previously convicted on March 22, 2013 in Calgary Provincial Court for illegally importing a brown bear that was illegally killed in Alaska. He was fined $4,000, of which $3,600 will go to the EDF. Additionally, Lyle Whitmarsh was ordered to declare all wildlife imports into Canada to Environment Canada for a period of two years. He also forfeited an Alaska brown bear skull and hide.

As a further result of the investigation, three Alaska residents have also been indicted in Alaska, along with a guide. A fourth Alaskan has also been charged in both the United States and Canada.

Environment Canada enforces federal laws that protect wildlife. Any CITES-listed wildlife imported into Canada, exported from Canada, or attempted to be exported without the required permits is subject to seizure and forfeiture, and those responsible are liable to prosecution.

The Environmental Damages Fund, administered by Environment Canada, was created in 1995 to provide a mechanism for directing funds received as a result of fines, court orders and voluntary payments for the repair of the actual harm done to the environment.

For more information, please contact:

Media Relations
Environment Canada
819-934-8008
I wonder if that's the same Lyle Witmarsh that is the president of Trinidad drilling
Old 12-29-2013, 08:32 PM

Huntin I'm sure it is cause he has a brother Jack who works out here on a rig! I just texted my brother to see if he has heard.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
I wonder if that's the same Lyle Witmarsh that is the president of Trinidad drilling
Pretty good chance.

I came across the Outfitter's plea bargain. It is quite the tale....

It includes names and details of the 15 Albertans' charged. It would be interesting to see how these people are connected.

Of special note is Coalman Alberta taxidermist and Opal Outfitters owner Fred Thomson's involvement in many of these cases. Beside his own hunt, most of the Albertans used his taxidermy service to receive the illegal wildlife imports.

This operation seems to have no innocent people, the plea bargain gives the impression that all involved from the Outfitter, guides, hunters, agents and even taxidermists were all complicit.... It's hard to imagine that the main characters in this scheme are virgins.....

http://jun-cdn.com/sites/default/files/Plea%20Deal.pdf
Old 12-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Banned

Scumbags
Old 12-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainankiller View Post
There was a thread previously on the forum regarding the trappers cabin that was apparently taken over by 'freemen'. One of the accused created an account on here to spread their own side of the story. That person was ultimately banned....for reasons im not really sure about but no biggie. The accused offered everyone on AO to add her on facebook to get her side of the story.. Anyways....I followed the story and still am. The people that were accused of taking over the cabin and living on 'crown land' that they claimed to have bought and were titled to have been released, and all of their possessions returned including the ownership papers to said land in question. Funny how that part never made the news.

moral of the story...there is ALWAYS two sides to the story and you'll only hear about one of them.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:59 AM

Default That was some read

Am I right that a guy who was carrying meat from a dead goat that he had shot down a mountain, fell and broke his leg and was charged with allowing meat to spoil.

That's a bit rum don't you think?

In reading this I see that a .378 rifle was used and I'd never heard of one so I looked it up on Wikipedia, and saw that a .22 caliber wild cat made by P.O. Ackely, called an "earsplitten loudenboomer" (I'm not making this up) was made with a necked down .378 case to hold a .224 bullet. Ackley hoped for 5000 fps but only could get 4600 with 120gr. of powder.

Does any one know if there is/was such a caliber?

I apologize if this is the wrong post to ask this question. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:41 AM

Default These people not hunters ...

Always pains me to see these poachers labelled by the media as hunters.
This is just another Alberta warm and fuzzy story ....the Bruin story ran
World wide ....just a little slow getting on here .....power and money corrupt.
There's too many bona fide law enforcement agencies involved to this not to be
Factual ....if it was the RCMP I,d say. ....hold her Knute ,I held her for you ...

I don't remember seeing this one on here , if so , my sorry ...

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...884/story.html
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM

Default Weatherby .378

Early 1950'S was designed and built to attempt to recover from the poor performance from Weatherby's 375 which was built to run along side the 375 HH
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Pretty good chance.

I came across the Outfitter's plea bargain. It is quite the tale....

It includes names and details of the 15 Albertans' charged. It would be interesting to see how these people are connected.

Of special note is CoalmanAlberta taxidermist and Opal Outfitters owner Fred Thomson's involvement in many of these cases. Beside his own hunt, most of the Albertans used his taxidermy service to receive the illegal wildlife imports.

This operation seems to have no innocent people, the plea bargain gives the impression that all involved from the Outfitter, guides, hunters, agents and even taxidermists were all complicit.... It's hard to imagine that the main characters in this scheme are virgins.....

http://jun-cdn.com/sites/default/files/Plea%20Deal.pdf
Pretty sure its Fred Thompson who runs Thompson taxidermy in Coaldale....either way lotta people breaking rules there...