Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Curtis Hallock -- a fan-favourite sidekick on "Mantracker" -- was shot in the leg and arm after police pulled over a vehicle on Thursday night in Grande Cache, about 400 kilometers west of Edmonton.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mantrac...rcmp-1.1396650
Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal View Post
NoI didnt say that.

If we dont question authority and always remember that the government is supposed to be chosen by us to represent us we are doomed to end up in a police state.

Dont ever assume that just cuz a cop says so hes right.

Not saying this particular incident is necessarily a good example of that either cuz like the rest of you all I have to work with is the information the cops gave to the media and who knows how accurate thats gonna be.

What has cooperating with a cop got to do with that?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
BB you're what I'd call a tweener. In football it was guys that were too big to play LB and a little too small for the defensive line. Usually the term was reserved for guys that were big but not giants. When I worked in bars it was a term used for doorman and bouncers too.

One of the toughest guys I know was a "tweener" a big guy at 6 - 6'1" and 210lbs of as solid muscle as guy can get but because he wasn't a pro wrestling giant guys would always try and "test themselves" against him. It NEVER went well for them, in fact he was a guy who never lost a fight or even used more than one punch. He had the genetics to be a Roy Jones Jr. type of fighter and in fact his brother was a Commonwealth games bronze medalist as a cruiser weight and he could wipe the floor with him. Sorry for the derail.
Sorry for the derail. But yes Zulu unfortunately I've always been just the right size for A. Smaller guys who want to fight a "big guy" you know big not huge or B. Bigger guys bully types who want to fight a smaller guy than them but not so small that people say pick on someone your own size.

Size about right too. In my best days 6'1" and 225
Old 08-03-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Dumb man - driving while impared? Really you dont know better?that will get you in deep carp.
Fighting with police? Really you dont know better? You know that will get you shot or tazered, jail time.
Running from cops? Really you dont know better? you know that will get you shot or tazered and earn you jail time.

Reality tv star or not ..... sounds like someone was out of line and in this case I dont think it was the RCMP.

EDMONTON - The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team is investigating after two RCMP officers were involved in the shooting of a former star of the reality series Mantracker.

Family members identified the shooting victim as Curtis Hallock, 38, an expert outdoorsman and horse whisperer who lives in Grande Cache.

Around 10 p.m. Thursday, two RCMP officers tried to stop a vehicle being driven by Hallock on suspicion that he was impaired.

According to RCMP, a confrontation started that led to Hollock being shot by the officers. Hallock fled the scene, but was apprehended a short time later and transported to hospital.

He suffered two bullet wounds to the leg and one to the shoulder,
said his sister, Priscilla Bowen.

As of Friday night, she said her brother was awaiting surgery and was under arrest, though no official charges had been laid. Bowen said the police were being “quite tight-lipped” about the details that led to the shooting.

Bowen said she hadn’t spoken with her brother in great detail about what happened.

She described her brother as “a great bushman” who has “an astounding way with horses.”

“Our main concern at this point is how an unarmed man gets shot so many times by the police,” she said.

ASIRT director Clifton Purvis described the shooting as an “on-duty incident” that occurred while “police were conducting an investigation.”

ASIRT is called in to investigate serious incidents involving police officers, including those that result in serious injuries or death.

Hallock starred in season two of the Outdoor Life Network series Mantracker. On the program, guests act as human “prey” and the Mantracker has to follow and find them using wilderness and tracking skills. Hallock starred as one of the Mantracker’s sidekicks.

In his profile on OLN, Hallock is described as someone who “cares for a herd of horses that roam free in the area, and he considers the rugged wilderness and dense bush his own backyard.

“Curtis’s experience and skills will give Mantracker a whole new edge over the courageous prey who take on this challenge.”

Bowen said her brother is the father of four children and has no history of violence.

“There is no way that he attacked a police officer,” she said. “That’s not in his temperament.”
I think you misread the story.

They said they suspected him of driving while impaired. Nothing in the story says that he was found to be impaired that I seen.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Starting to think it's time to give the RCMP cap guns instead of firearms.

WTF is going on lately?
^this

no respect for RCMP from this guy.

Especially after they beat up the owners of Round hill Hotel to feel big. Came back to feel all big again just before court date where owners pressed charges against them.... rolled up with 5 cars.. walked in and backed out after they noticed the owners put up cameras.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:46 AM

I'd like to know how long it took them to track down and wounded and bleeding suspect,

If only there was an expert around that could teach them a few tricks perhaps...hehehe
Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Yeah. Puke.

I've heard through a somewhat reliable source that he is in Red Deer now.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgoodguy View Post
As Old kernel Klink Would Say Very Interesting But Hey still 1 road in and out of Grande Cache sheeesh
Colonel Klink was on Hogan's Heroes, are you referring to Artie Johnson from Laughin?

Looking at a map, there is one road goes north to Grand Prairie and one road goes south to Hinton.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
^this

Especially after they beat up the owners of Round hill Hotel to feel big. Came back to feel all big again just before court date where owners pressed charges against them.... rolled up with 5 cars.. walked in and backed out after they noticed the owners put up cameras.
yup. know the story. Rob was just in court over it. I love that little bar.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:46 AM

No charges laid yet eh? The shootists don't usually wait around.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
yup. know the story. Rob was just in court over it. I love that little bar.
I drop beer there only on thursday.... help out my boss on his beer runs. Its a nice break from the city......ya they even got pepper sprayed. Havent talked to Rob for a while and Goddfrey hasnt mentioned how court went.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
Screw that. Police are not perfect... There are many examples.

"know your rights, act accordingly, video everything"
I'm not saying they're perfect, I'm saying that more times then not if you treat them with respect they'll treat you with respect. If you start mouthing off to them and getting aggressive your most likely gonna get a knee to the chest, handcuffed and thrown in the drunk tank. Most of the guys saying they were quick to shoot are the same guys who have no respect for enforcement and always have comments to be made towards them. Look at the lie detector test these guys have to pass and tell me that they are all trigger happy idiots. I bet half this board couldn't pass one of those tests.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
^this

The best spin doctoring and perjury will be saved for court date. Lately this seems to be SOP. I still upport the RC's for the most part but am becoming more jaded all the time.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:15 AM

I heard from my cousins father in laws co worker he is half alien cyborg, that's why he was able to get away after being shot 3 times. Everyone knows you need to use premium bullets to take out alien cyborgs.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I'm not saying they're perfect, I'm saying that more times then not if you treat them with respect they'll treat you with respect. If you start mouthing off to them and getting aggressive your most likely gonna get a knee to the chest, handcuffed and thrown in the drunk tank. Most of the guys saying they were quick to shoot are the same guys who have no respect for enforcement and always have comments to be made towards them. Look at the lie detector test these guys have to pass and tell me that they are all trigger happy idiots. I bet half this board couldn't pass one of those tests.
For the most part... Yes.

Not my experience with a few personal cases. 'power trip' comes to mind.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
What has cooperating with a cop got to do with that?
Cops are law enforcement & also human. They make mistakes, have bad days and get ignorant like the rest of us. When they screw up its on us to call them on it.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
^this

Seriously?
How did that stay under the radar?
Geez...thats got CBC movie of the week written all over it.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Ill wait for more facts to come out, although with the latest burst of shootings it looks like cops are resorting to "shoot first, ask later" but who knows
Old 08-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Ya..one of the neighbouring houses got pictures. The owners arent young and they had their butts handed to them. Beat up and pepper sprayed the old guys.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Ya..one of the neighbouring houses got pictures. The owners arent young and they had their butts handed to them. Beat up and pepper sprayed the old guys.
Yes. Tis true..... I play crib with godfrey in the mornings when hes working and have beers with rob in camrose.... Was totally uncalled for.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Dave View Post

They weren't?!! Oh whew. Thank god you cleared that up. I guess you know that from being right there and witnessing the whole encounter.

Just as you chastise the "public support members of the public" for jumping to the conclusion that police WERE justified in their actions...what's the difference between that and YOUR statement of "fact" that they were in no danger?!?

So what if....just what IF, Curtis DID try to run them down with his car? Would they have been justified? What IF he DID try grabbing for their gun and turn it on them...?

You're being "judge and jury" yourself, coming up with a verdict based on your own personal opinion.

Scary.
I misread the original article about him fleeing the scene, I wrongly assumed he was fleeing then shot. So I guess I'll retract my statement about the officers not being in any imminent danger however I don't retract my opinion that members of the force don't seem to be trained to subdue but to shoot first and ask questions later. I also stand by my comment about trigger happy public supporting trigger happy police. That comes from reading this board where it's regularly supported that thieves deserve to be shot and killed. The 3 S's are constantly referred to. Something wrong with our justice system for sure but there is also something wrong with public perception when we support death penalties for petty crime.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
I misread the original article about him fleeing the scene, I wrongly assumed he was fleeing then shot. So I guess I'll retract my statement about the officers not being in any imminent danger however I don't retract my opinion that members of the force don't seem to be trained to subdue but to shoot first and ask questions later. I also stand by my comment about trigger happy public supporting trigger happy police. That comes from reading this board where it's regularly supported that thieves deserve to be shot and killed. The 3 S's are constantly referred to. Something wrong with our justice system for sure but there is also something wrong with public perception when we support death penalties for petty crime.
I don't think anyone supports death penalties for petty crime. But I do think the honest people of this country are tired of being taken advantage of and having the crooks get off with a slap on the wrist. All in all i dont think the reform system has worked in the past 20 years as you still have guys coming out of prison and within a year there right back where they were. Perhaps it time for a change in the laws or for tougher judges. Also maybe we could have inmates working contributing to our GDP instead of letting them work out all day and watch tv. For some of these guys going to prison is easier then living in the real world, so they intentionally find ways to go back.

Now in saying that I don't support the use of legal force in the majority of situations but if someone isn't going to listen to the police and go calmly but would rather fight or if there could potentially be a danger to the public then yes I think lethal force is indicated. I think tasers and pepper spray were two of the worst things cops introduced as now people believe they can act like idiots and just get tasered or pepper sprayed and go to jail. Before it was either cooperate or get shot, the way you acted would define how the situation would play out and you knew there was no bluffing.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Banned

Maybe the police wanted to enforce the .05 and he argued the law is .08.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbomber View Post
Traffic stop turns into a shooting, guy shot in non fatal areas. Should be a good story.

Waiting for the first "he had it coming" versus "police are too quick" debate on this one.

Everybody has bad days normal people and cops. Many of us have regretted our actions. Should be interesting story here.
Unfortunately, the RCMP have had more bad days than good as of late.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

Ok, so, here's Curtis' side of the story. If it's the case, did he deserve to get shot?

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/al...653/story.html

Quote:
After being shot by RCMP officers on Aug. 1, the former sidekick of the reality series Mantracker is slowly recovering at his home in Grande Cache.

Now charged with various offences in relation to the incident, Curtis Hallock, remains puzzled by the events. He feels it was a “drastic measure” by the RCMP.

“It happened too fast, they were pretty aggressive and I had to get out of there. Luckily I did,” he said. “It just all happened in the heat of moment.”

That night two RCMP officers tried to stop a vehicle being driven by Hallock on suspicion that he was impaired. The night ended with Hallock being shot in the shoulder and leg.

According to Hallock, he was doing some stunting in his car when someone called in a complaint to police. He said there was no physical evidence he was impaired.

When RCMP officers attempted to pull him over, a chase ensued and officers shot him in a “game of cat and mouse,” he said. He eventually got out of his car and officers pursued him on foot. Hallock said he was shot again.

He eventually lost the officers and ran to his home.

“I walked into my home, passed all the officers waiting for me, asked my sister for coffee and then was taken to hospital,” he said, adding it was at the hospital that he was formally placed under arrest.

Hallock said was unarmed and was not impaired.

According to court documents, his charges include one count of an assault with a weapon, one count of assault of a peace officer and three counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle. He is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 19 to enter a plea.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, the unit that is called in to investigate shooting involving police officers, is investigating the incident.

The RCMP have said a confrontation led to Hallock being shot.

Hallock had surgery on his shoulder to remove the bullet and was released from hospital two weeks ago. He said he now focused on his children, helping his community and opening up his own backwoods tour and guide business.

Despite the injury to his shoulder, Hallock has been able to get back to his true passion of horseback riding.

Hallock starred in the second season of the Outdoor Life Network series Mantracker, earning the nickname the “Horse Whisperer.” On the program, guests act as human “prey” and the Mantracker has to follow and find them using wilderness and tracking skills. Hallock starred as one of the Mantracker’s sidekicks.

“It was an enjoyable experience,” Hallock said. “I love the thrill of the chase.”

Hallock said he doesn’t feel bitter toward law enforcement after what happened the day he was shot.

“No, not all. They just took it a bit far that night.”

Last edited by silverdoctor; 08-28-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:54 AM

Never read all the posts, but I do have a thought to add to the whole RCMP excessive force discussion.

What's happening is not being hidden from the public, some of the details maybe, but not the fact that these incidents are occuring. Secondly we do not have citizens disappearing at random, or many political dissidents in jail on bogus charges. Thirdly, we still have a functioning court system that for the most parts do take basic human rights into consideration when making judgements.

This whole terrorist threat from at home and abroad propaganda crap is starting to make lawmakers and enforcers a little paranoid I think at least putting unneeded pressure upon them. It could be other factors, but really none of this heavy handed crap was as wide spread in Canada before 9/11, to my limited knowledge anyways.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM

Today's social media makes it more difficult for people to hide or sweep things under the rug. Badges are much smaller in this day and age.

I'll take Curtis's word for it.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Gone Hunting

I wonder if anyone told the cops it was all a GAME of cat and mouse?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-07-2013, 04:48 AM

I would say that close to 90% of the posts in this thread are unbelievably far fetched and disconnected from the real world of police work. 99.99% of cops don't become cops to toss a badge around and shoot people. We have one of the best democracies in the world and certainly one of the best national police forces in the world. Give your heads a shake folks.