Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 PM

Default What's your ideal hiking shotgun?

Howdy,

Did the past thead search, read a lot of interesting information on whether or not to hike with a firearm etc.

My question is, for those who prefer to hike with a non-restricted firearm, what is your preferred gun and load? I'm leaning towards a shotgun....
Old 08-28-2008, 11:15 AM

defender or other high capacity shot gun with buckshot and slugs loaded one then the other making sure you shoot buck shot first then slug then shot etc.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:35 PM

I just bought a Maverick 88 12ga for this exact reason.
It's cheap. $200 brand new.
It's light.
It works!

I know it is a cheap gun. There is no dout the Moss 500 & Rem 870 are better guns. But for 100% use of being strapped to my back and honestly, probably never using it...why spend more?

I put 10 rounds through it to get familiar with her and thats about it. It will be lucky to ever see many more than 5 rounds per year.

In Lethrbidge where alot of people are looking for this type of protection...they fly off the shelf. Can't keep them in stock. That's gotta say something.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM

I have a Maverick 88 as well. It's one of those firearms that you don't really care if it takes a beating and looks like you tossed it off of a mountain.

I'm probably going to order a 15" Grizzly mag from Canada Ammo pretty soon though. You can keep a 3" in the chamber and drop in a magazine for an additional 5 rounds of 2 3/4" They have a shorter 12" model as well for a very reasonable price.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM

norinco 870 rip off. comes with a 14" barrel, light as a feather, cheap and is compatible with all factory remington 870 barrels and after market add-ons. I'm currently looking for a 26-28" beat up 870 barrel for a cheap waterfowl gun. I love the thing even if he finish blows in high wind.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 PM

Mine's not a shotgun - my .45-70 shorty, stock-sleeve cartridge carrier and max'd out heavy bullets (350's). Carries well and hits with far more authority, fast to reload and shoot. I shoot a lot of waterfowl, so fast shooting without aiming from dangerous range is easy with the levergun.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Gone Hunting

At the last Bud Haynes auction there were two "IGA Coach guns" Short barreled doubles with exposed hammers. One had a sing and a slip on shell holder on the stock. I reckon they were "hiker shotguns" but there is something about exposed hammers I do not like.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:36 AM

So I've fired up ole' google to check out some of the guns you're mentioning and came across this.

I'm a little dumber for having watched this, It's worse if you keep the volume on...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoygwlKv0VM&NR=1

Last edited by Albertadiver; 08-29-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Does anybody have one of the H&R 'survivor' guns? It has a rifled barrel to shot .45 Colt and it comes with a screw in choke so you can shoot .410 shotshells. Might be decent for what its name suggests? I'd like to see how accurate it might be with the .45's.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta View Post
Does anybody have one of the H&R 'survivor' guns?
The interchangability is nice, although the single shot seems like a drawback. I'd prefer to have a magazine available.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 AM

I agree, but I was thinking more of a survival gun to get food as opposed to protection. Mag would still be nice but a person could do well using the single shot .45 for larger animals and the 410 for birds/rabbits if stranded in the bush.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:53 AM

My father had bought one of thoes h&R guns for his wife he likes it but she says it has more kick and louder then most 410's shes shot befor but its light and small so i guess it's all in prefrence
Old 08-29-2008, 11:07 AM

I'd like to know how accurate the .45's are. Although, using a .45, as long as you could hit something with decent accuracy to 100 yds(if that), it would be all you need.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

I have carried several different chopped 870s, a Win. 97 that I cut off in my dad's plumbing shop and three different 12 ga. combo guns, all loaded with slugs. I never really felt that good about these as Grizzly defence guns and thus went to purpose-built bigbore lever and bolt rifles as "hiking"guns.

For the probable "best" bear defence rifle, I would get a good Patt. 98 Mauser action re-barreled with a Heym sts. bbl. by Barry of BitsofPieces and use a laminate or synthtic stock and solid iron sights. The chambering would be 9.3x62 and I would load 286 NPs to 2500 fps. or a bit less, the bbl. would be 20"-22" long. I have one like this, my buddy is just finishing the stock now and this is about as good as it gets for a defence piece in Grizzly country.

Each to his own, but, after some testing, I would never bother again with Foster type slugs, use only Brennekes and buckshot is not going to penetrate and thus stop an animal, it will flatten on the watersoaked hide of a big coastal Grizzly and just annoy one of those East Slopes redneck ones.

Shotguns are, IMO, vastly over-rated as a defence tool for most people and a reasonable rifle is a better choice; a good .30-06 using 200 NPs is an excellent option that anyone can learn to handle quite quickly. Actually, I have used an 06 in "my former work in G-bear country and always felt quite well armed. However, if you want to use a shotty, go with Brennekes, at least.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM

I've got a 30-06, but it's an older winchester handed down from my father. Although with the bushnell scope it's still tight groups past 250yds. I use it for hunting, but wouldn't take it backpacking due to the length and weight.

I'd like to have somthing that would fit in the pack till I'm away from main trails etc. I carry bear spray which is accesible at all times. My main concern is at night when the 'boogyman' comes out. I've had several bears come through camp at night which is when I'd like to have the reassurance of somthing more than bear spray. We do everything properly, cook away from the tent, change clothes, hang our food in airtight container 200yds away... all of that stuff. This is very much for a 'just in case' and a psycological reassurance. Well, that and for the last few years I use earplugs. If I'm going to be bear bait at least I'm rested. Sick of hearing every twig snap and the wind rustling the trees keeping me awake all night.

So far, I think I'm leaning towards the pistol grip maverick 12ga. at wholesale sports. http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlin...ory=1012000802

Last edited by Albertadiver; 08-29-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:08 PM

If a guy was set on using a shotgun for hiking, I would strongly advise against a pistol grip set-up. If you really want a super short gun take it off of the other end IMO. The pistol grips are so uncomfortable to shoot, esp. w/ slugs, that I can't imagine anyone getting enough practice on one to be proficient.

Get lots of practice. Lots of practice shooting slugs, preferably Brennekkes. Don't waste your time and energy carrying an arm for protection that you aren't completely familiar with IMO.

When I feel the need (rarely) and am not hunting I do carry a Rem870 w/ 20" bbl. Soon to be a 14" bbl w/ XS Ghostrings. Plain old wood furniture. Not really much fun to shoot...............but.

A few of my buds have 'experimented', against my advise, with pistol grips, special stocks etc. Last week one of them shot my 870 and stated "Thats it, mine is getting it's old stock back!!"

Last edited by Wrongside; 08-29-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the tip Wrongside.

I've never shot a pistol grip shotgun, and what you're saying makes sense given the kick you'd get.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM

No prob, ABD.

Someone may come along who can shoot a pistol grip just fine, just not me or anyone I know. In spite of some that I know who claim to the contrary......

One more thing my 870 will be getting, a good Limbsaver pad. A decent pad and a good 'cheek weld' are two of the main things that tame recoil, at least for me.

That'll have to wait, as scouting/backpacking season is upon us and I need it........... this afternoon, actually.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:47 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=18679
my response is on this thread.
pistol grip shotguns are a real machine to learn to be useful with, personally id go with a small frame, liteweight gun

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 09-19-2008, 03:14 PM

Am a fan of a conventional 12 gauge shotgun for a backpacking/camp gun.
You can buy a new Remington 870 Express with a 18" barrel like for $309.00
Cheap, durable, and you can use it on grouse.

Or these others but your looking at almost twice the price.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Banned

don't forget the ultimate 2 zombie/grizz guns going...

https://www.dlaskarms.com//popup_ima...3a23d86d136974

find it here...8.5" barrel, throw a pistol grip on that its short!

https://www.dlaskarms.com/index.php

this one is very popular...300 bucks and your going with 12" barrel....all non-restricted stuff here!

http://www.canadaammo.com/product.ph...1&cat=0&page=1
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've got a 30-06, but it's an older winchester handed down from my father. Although with the bushnell scope it's still tight groups past 250yds. I use it for hunting, but wouldn't take it backpacking due to the length and weight.

I'd like to have somthing that would fit in the pack till I'm away from main trails etc. I carry bear spray which is accesible at all times. My main concern is at night when the 'boogyman' comes out. I've had several bears come through camp at night which is when I'd like to have the reassurance of somthing more than bear spray. We do everything properly, cook away from the tent, change clothes, hang our food in airtight container 200yds away... all of that stuff. This is very much for a 'just in case' and a psycological reassurance. Well, that and for the last few years I use earplugs. If I'm going to be bear bait at least I'm rested. Sick of hearing every twig snap and the wind rustling the trees keeping me awake all night.

So far, I think I'm leaning towards the pistol grip maverick 12ga. at wholesale sports. http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlin...ory=1012000802

I don't know, but I been told...these are too hard to aim adequately. Even at short distances. Better to have something you can shoulder. Quickly. The proof will be in the pudding at the range. Try hitting a pie plate with one at 10-15 yds. from the hip.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo View Post
I don't know, but I been told...these are too hard to aim adequately. Even at short distances. Better to have something you can shoulder. Quickly. The proof will be in the pudding at the range. Try hitting a pie plate with one at 10-15 yds. from the hip.
Yeah, I've pretty much decided to get away from the pistol grip idea for that very reason.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Yeah, I've pretty much decided to get away from the pistol grip idea for that very reason.
Good.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Personally for a defense gun for hiking adn riding etc. I would use a Marlin 1895 guide gun in 45-70 Short, powerful, and not too heavy.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM

Aren't a lot of the guns listed above restricted? Looks like a number of barrels are too short.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:01 AM

im not 100% on this but i dont think the same rules apply if it comes like that from the factory
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
im not 100% on this but i dont think the same rules apply if it comes like that from the factory
Pretty sure they do. I don't see anything that says that if you cut down a barrel to 13 inches that makes it restricted, but if you buy it that way it's non-restricted.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM

I believe if the OAL of the shotgun has to be 26 inches or greater your good to go, consult the confusing CFC regulations, if you can find it. Under 26 restricted. How it comes from the factory has nothing to do with it.

Definition of a Restricted Firearm
According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
a semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
a rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);
any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

So dependingi on ifs a pump or autoloader.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 10-08-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
I believe if the OAL of the shotgun has to be 26 inches or greater your good to go, consult the confusing CFC regulations, if you can find it. Under 26 restricted. How it comes from the factory has nothing to do with it.

Definition of a Restricted Firearm
According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
a semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
a rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);
any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

So dependingi on ifs a pump or autoloader.
Thanks for the clarification. I missed the semi-auto part on the barrel length rule... I've always (ignorantly I guess) thought the length issue was mainly about "concealability". Why would the government care about barrel length if there is a rule on overall length? Also wonder why you can have a non-restricted short-barelled pump (assuming it still meets the overall 26 inch rule) but not a semi-auto?