Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Default 1998 Skidoo Mxz 670 reviews

Well I just bought a 1998 skidoo Mxz 670 skidoo off an older fellow in our neighbourhood. It has been in storage for a few years and has 921 original Kms on it and is in excellent shape although extremely dusty! He was asking $2500 and I didn't argue the price. What's everyone's opinion of these machines? The research that I have done states that these sleds are extremely fast and bulletproof, not exactly what I was looking for to use ice fishing but what the hell! Bring on the snow!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Well I just bought a 1998 skidoo Mxz 670 skidoo off an older fellow in our neighbourhood. It has been in storage for a few years and has 921 original Kms on it and is in excellent shape although extremely dusty! He was asking $2500 and I didn't argue the price. What's everyone's opinion of these machines? The research that I have done states that these sleds are extremely fast and bulletproof, not exactly what I was looking for to use ice fishing but what the hell! Bring on the snow!
Sell it while you can....trust me.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:34 PM

Yeah, sell it. To me. The old 670 is an awesome motor, with so few hours on it, it should last you a long time. The biggest problem is that it's been a few years since they made it, so the parts are starting to get pretty sparse. Clean it up, lube it up, and go have fun. 2500 bux is pretty cheap fun these days.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 PM

I think the one guy above is confused with the 2009 670 Ho motors they had problems that year with lots of failures.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:03 PM

I had a similar year MXZ 583 longtrack, that thing scared the cr*p out of me...it was crazy fast and handled loose powder well. Being in Calgary it did not get many miles and never gave a hint of trouble. You did well at $2500.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4uRuss View Post
I think the one guy above is confused with the 2009 670 Ho motors they had problems that year with lots of failures.
Had one of these, lots of problems, and sold, fast sled though, must mean the 1999 though
Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Being the sled has such low usage I would fully drain the fuel tank and clean the carbs as well as change the chaincase oil and adjust the chain.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 PM

The guys saying sell it don't know a lot about sleds. I work on sleds and that 670 is one of the best you'll find. Lots of power and just keeps on going. If you do want to sell, shoot me a pm. I love 670's
Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Both the 583 and the 670 are awesome motors and bullet proof explains it well. only guys I see struggle with these at times are when they start modding. luv my 583 rotax....I would do as suggested, drain gas, pull the carbs and clean it, clean fluid and should be good to go.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

I had over 5000 trouble free km's on my 1999 600 summit that I had. Never heard anything bad about the 670's. 2500 bucks for a sled with 900km's on it is pretty good I think even if it's an older one.

Like everyone else said. Drain all the fluids and bob's your uncle. (I hope it doesn't snow too much this year though)
Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Banned

I know a fella that has an older model MXZ short track and he's riden with us on several occasions. His is very fast but he gets thrown around a bit due to the hard suspension. For $2500, grab it! Or pass on it and let me know where it is....lol.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 AM

The motor is very strong, but the drive train isn't and neither is the the suspension. There are also body flaws. It was an awesome machine new, but not anymore. There lots of used parts available and many wrecks parked.

The biggest flaw are the sliders and rails. If the slider wares out, the track eats through the rail and causes it to weaken to the point if breaking. If it happens, it breaks of and punctures the track.

The hood hinges are also weak and break. The trailing arm link is weak due to front end weight and flex.

The chain case is also flawed. The drive gear bearing in the case moves around. A little and prematurely wares the chain.

I strongly recommend to sell it, (though it may look great) and get a lighter machine like a Tundra or a Bravo. These units last forever and will never let you down...
Old 09-03-2013, 07:34 AM

I had a 1997 and a 1999 HO with no problems with either one. If you are planning on using it for ice fishing I would gear it down as much as possible as these machines were built to run and won't be fun or easy to try and ride slow. By this I mean that you will be burning the belt by trying to run too close to clutch engagement.

The suspension is also set up for big bumps at high speed, so you will want to turn it down until you find the sweet spot between being too soft and being too stiff.

After that, have fun with it.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM

You got a great sled for $2500.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumoulin View Post
The motor is very strong, but the drive train isn't and neither is the the suspension. There are also body flaws. It was an awesome machine new, but not anymore. There lots of used parts available and many wrecks parked.

The biggest flaw are the sliders and rails. If the slider wares out, the track eats through the rail and causes it to weaken to the point if breaking. If it happens, it breaks of and punctures the track.

The hood hinges are also weak and break. The trailing arm link is weak due to front end weight and flex.

The chain case is also flawed. The drive gear bearing in the case moves around. A little and prematurely wares the chain.

I strongly recommend to sell it, (though it may look great) and get a lighter machine like a Tundra or a Bravo. These units last forever and will never let you down...
Sliders and rails are the same on every sled. If you don't replace them in time they will wreck your skid. On every snowmobile ever built. The other 3 flaws I have never heard of nor seen.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM

I had a 95 670 Summit to start with than moved out to saskatchewn and bought a 98 670 MXZ. This sled was bullet proof. I never did have any problems with the motor and the only part that broke was the H bar on the rear suspension after two years. I had a local welder fix it and off I went. I sold it in 2008 and I am still kicking myself for it. Best motor even made in my opinion.