Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Default arctic char in AB

I heard a rumor the other day that there are Arctic Char somewhere in AB. Does anyone know if there is any truth to it?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM

There is a old arguement about a lake around banff....if i remeber right chester lake.....somebody will correct me if i am wrong...........it has been argued that it was artic char and then i heard they were some kind of red fish from down east and then i heard they were dollys from the yukon.......so what the truth is i have no idea never been there
Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

I don't think so..

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/zone/underw...ar-omble_e.htm
Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 PM

I've been told that there is a lake with dolly's before and I'm purdy certain that it was chester that was mentioned. It was the same person that told me there was a lake with arctic char though. Others have told me that there is a lake with Dolly's but he's the first to mention anything of one with arctic char to me.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

I have heard that there are Dollys in Mystery Lake but don't know for sure.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Myste...Jasper-AB-1610
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 PM

Interesting...... looks like it would be a fun hike in, I think I'd want confirmation prior though lol. I'm wondeding about the Arctic Char because I'm trying to catch all the species in AB. Currently still need a Rocky Mountain White, Bull Trout, Golden Trout, Dolly Varden (If it is true that they are here (Fairly certain they are)), and Arctic Char (If they are here).

Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Interesting...... looks like it would be a fun hike in, I think I'd want confirmation prior though lol. I'm wondeding about the Arctic Char because I'm trying to catch all the species in AB. Currently still need a Rocky Mountain White, Bull Trout, Golden Trout, Dolly Varden (If it is true that they are here (Fairly certain they are)), and Arctic Char (If they are here).
If you can visually confirm and identify a Dolly from a Bull than help me out I know they are two different fish but my understanding is bulls get bigger and are inland were Dollies are coastal and smaller aside from that it take a genetic sample at least thats my understanding both are Char and color not a means of differentiating.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to catch all the species in AB. Currently still need a Rocky Mountain White.

If you live near Canmore banff I know a spot where I guarentee you can catch lots of whitefish right near spray lakes. I cross a bridge over a small chanel and you can see then swimming in decent numbers pretty much any time of the day I have been there.

On the topic of Char, I always thought that Lake trout and Brook trout were considered Char?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM

Hey slick,

Lakers, Bulls and Brookies are char.

Hey Donny,

I certainly wouldn't be able to tell the difference either, I've just heard from a few source that It has been confirmed that a lake in AB (I think it was Chester) has Dolly's. I thought the only difference was bulls were landlocked until I heard that rumor. Then to add to things I heard about the Arctic Char possibility. If you recal I was the one that asked about the Arctic char you posted because I couldn't distinguish between it or a brookie. Honestly I'm damn near lost lol.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM

A buddy of mine got a few arctic char from a hatchery for his dugout a few years ago here in alberta, not sure if there are any stocked lakes though.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

I'm starting to think that Arctic Char in Alberta is the Holy Grail..

http://www.albertasportfishing.com/sport_fish.php
Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 PM

The Arctic Char may very well not be here, like I said rumor. But I'm afraid the link you posted jester proves nothing, It doesn't even have mooneye on it. Nore Northern redhorse (river redhorse), No suckers, No quillback. (last three arn't realy sport fish but they are very much present here).

If anyone can confirm whether Dolly's are present it would be greatly appreciated.
Im thinking the rumor of Artic Char is just that, a rumor. But maybe someone on here knows for sure.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Im thinking the rumor of Artic Char is just that, a rumor. But maybe someone on here knows for sure.
Like I said, they were once available from at least one hatchery, but it is probably just a rumour of any being in any fishable lakes or ponds. It is a shame, I remember the one's we pulled out of my buddies dugout were sure good eating. They were all 3-5 lbs. when he threw them in, so didn't have to wait long. Not sure why the hatchery had them, might have been for a commercial market or something.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
The Arctic Char may very well not be here, like I said rumor. But I'm afraid the link you posted jester proves nothing, It doesn't even have mooneye on it. Nore Northern redhorse (river redhorse), No suckers, No quillback. (last three arn't realy sport fish but they are very much present here).

If anyone can confirm whether Dolly's are present it would be greatly appreciated.
HEY.......But I'm looking for ya..

Yeah I'm curious too
Old 09-11-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Arctic Char

While I have not caught one, apparently there was a fish farm that had some Arctic char that escaped into the wild and became feral. Somewhere around Lott Creek. It does not say a date, or if any have survived and/or reproducing.

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/fishwildli...rta%202007.pdf

It also says 2 lakes were unsuccessfully stocked with Arctic Char in the 50's.

HTH
Old 09-11-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
While I have not caught one, apparently there was a fish farm that had some Arctic char that escaped into the wild and became feral. Somewhere around Lott Creek. It does not say a date, or if any have survived and/or reproducing.

HTH
Now that you mention that, I believe that is actually the place where my friend had gotten his from. I remember him saying something about that and them losing their licence.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM

I appreciate your help Jester.

Thats very interesting BigA, Thanks you very much for posting it.

That confirms the Dollys in Chester as I had heard of, I wonder if they are still in there? would they be considered Bull trout now since they are land locked? Or how does that work?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Default Additional Info

You're welcome. If you manage to pick up the newest publication of "The Fishes of Alberta" it will also confirm the info on the Arctic Char as well as the Dolly's in that link. I have the book here at home. I will work on scanning it as well.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:57 PM

I lost my fishes of AB book years ago. It was an ancient copy though. Obviously time for a new one.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Here is a scanned copy from the book..

Apparently they escaped the fish farm in 2001. Not that long ago.

HTH
Old 09-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Hmmm, interesting....

Quote:

So,.. have you amassed a current list of Alberta Sportfish ? I wouldn't mind seeing one that includes ALL species of catchable fish, including suckers, quillback, etc.. I would think it would be 'quite a challenge', not to mention a lot of fun to try and catch every species available in Alberta Waters.

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 09-11-2008, 11:09 PM

The last info i got on chester lake was there was 18 pairs of fish spawning.......so catching one of these is very limited
Old 09-11-2008, 11:28 PM

I fully agree. By use of books a list could be made up for all species.

My list for sport fish of Alberta would be as follows

Caught

Walleye
Sauger
Pike
Perch
Lake White fish
Rainbow Trout
Athabasca Rainbow trout (I consider as a species of its own because they are indiginous)
Brown Trout
Lake Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Arctic Grayling
Goldeye
Mooneye
Burbot
Arctic Grayling

Yet to catch
Bull trout
Rocky Mountain Whitefish
Golden Trout
Dolly Varden
Sturgeon
And now Arctic Char has been added to my list

Non sport fish (This one could get very lond/detailed) Please feel free to add to because I'm sure I'll miss some. Also it depends on whether one would consider baitfish. Personaly I don't see myself trying to catch spot tail shiners or dace lol.

Fish caught and positivly ID'd
Northern Redhorse (River redhorse)
Quillback
Long nose suckers

(Not certain on species when caught) This is what I think they were.
White Sucker (Looked much like a carp)
Short nose sucker

Havn't caught these but I'm sure some here have
Chub
Tulibee
Cisco

Also interested if we have the suckers called buffalo here or not.

I'm sure there is more. I'd like to know how many species of sucker there is just in the NSR. I need to learn more on how to ID them, I guess one of the best ways is by the shape of the sucker mouth.

Thanks for posting that BigA much apreciated You have confirmed the presence of both Dollys and Arctic Char for us, thank you for your help and time.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to catch all the species in AB. Currently still need a Golden Trout...

Since you jumped on the flyfishing bandwagon not to long ago, would you be interested possibly in 2009, or 2010, splitting the helicopter fees, and camp for a few days up on a high mountain lake for some Goldens??
Old 09-12-2008, 07:22 AM

From the regs:

Chester Lake (26-21-10-W5) & tributaries & outlet
July 1 to Oct. 31 – Northern Dolly Varden limit 2; Cutthroat limit 0; Bait Ban
Nov. 1 to June 30 – CLOSED

Excellent information on the saga of whether these Chester fish were AC or Dollies was published in the late 90s and early 2000s by the Alberta Fishing Guide. Kyle McNeilly used to author the annual Tout Update feature ( I sure miss his contributions), and did an awful lot of work with Fisheries biologists in confirming that the Chester Lake fish are indeed Northern Dolly Varden, and not Arctic Char.

As an aside, our family made two trips to Chester this year. The hike was excellent, and the cuttie fishing was outstanding.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:45 AM

It is very unlikely you will get an Arctic Char out of the Elbow downstream of Lott Creek. I would concentrate on the other fish on your list first. Years ago our private lake received fish from Allen's trout farm that had some char and brookies mixed in with the rainbows. I caught a number of these arctic char and they have a wide array of colors. I believe they are still grown down at their facility at Hillspring, but are only for the meat industry (government doesn't want them causing genetic pollution with Bull trout).
Old 09-12-2008, 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=FisherPotch;183438]I fully agree. By use of books a list could be made up for all species.

Caught

GREAT LIST !

Thanks for the information. I'll have to start my own list now and start checking off what I have and 'have not' caught to date. I think I'll add location(s) to that matrix and see just how far one needs to travel in order to catch some of these species !

Thanks again.....

/FC....
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I fully agree. By use of books a list could be made up for all species.

Caught

Walleye
Sauger
Pike
Perch
Lake White fish
Rainbow Trout
Athabasca Rainbow trout (I consider as a species of its own because they are indiginous)
Brown Trout
Lake Trout
Cutthroat Trout
Arctic Grayling
Goldeye
Mooneye
Burbot
Arctic Grayling

Yet to catch
Bull trout
Rocky Mountain Whitefish
Golden Trout
Dolly Varden
Sturgeon
And now Arctic Char has been added to my list

Non sport fish (This one could get very lond/detailed) Please feel free to add to because I'm sure I'll miss some. Also it depends on whether one would consider baitfish. Personaly I don't see myself trying to catch spot tail shiners or dace lol.

Fish caught and positivly ID'd
Northern Redhorse (River redhorse)
Quillback
Long nose suckers

(Not certain on species when caught) This is what I think they were.
White Sucker (Looked much like a carp)
Short nose sucker

Havn't caught these but I'm sure some here have
Chub
Tulibee
Cisco

Also interested if we have the suckers called buffalo here or not.

I'm sure there is more. I'd like to know how many species of sucker there is just in the NSR. I need to learn more on how to ID them, I guess one of the best ways is by the shape of the sucker mouth.

Thanks for posting that BigA much apreciated You have confirmed the presence of both Dollys and Arctic Char for us, thank you for your help and time.
NP Glad I could help.

You should add Northern Pikeminnow to your list of non-sport fish. Also called Northern Squawfish. It is found in the western reaches of the Peace River.
Haven't caught one here in AB, but was fishing Kinbasket Lake in BC a couple of years ago and they were all over the place. Scrappy too.

Last edited by BigA; 09-12-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Default Dolly's

Chester lake was first stocked with Northern Dollies in 1974..They are still in the lake but some also know exsist in mud lake and it's outlet..
There are no Arctic Char other than few that may still have survived from the fish farm escape on lott creek and so far no word of any reproducing or hybrids
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Cool arctic char

There are AC in the province. You just have to know where to look