Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:46 AM
ramonmark's Avatar
ramonmark ramonmark is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: St Albert
Posts: 835
Default Blowgun!!!

I only ask this question under this thread because I really don't know where it should fit in and it has the word 'gun' in it's name.

Anyways, does anyone know why a blowgun is a prohibited weapon in Canada? I realise that many weapons are deemed prohibited for whatís seems to be no reason at all besides it's 'scary' look or demeanour. Why the blowgun? Surely it canít be because itís silent. If that were the case a bow should be next on the list. No? My digging around has only uncovered that itís a lethal weapon to larger animals if the tip is poisoned. Although, we have many other tools at our disposal that are far more dangerous. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that a slingshot poses more of a threat than a blowgun! I must be missing something.

Iíve been watching a lot of videos of guys dispatching small game with these suckers and it looks like a lot of fun. I really wish we could take part in this type of small game hunting. I think dropping a grouse or rabbit with a blowgun would be a wicked thrill!

Thanks in advance
__________________
"It's better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."

Last edited by ramonmark; 10-25-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 AM
thirty-30's Avatar
thirty-30 thirty-30 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Whaling on the Moon
Posts: 1,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
I only ask this question under this thread because I really don't know where it should fit in and it has the word 'gun' in it's name.

Anyways, does anyone know why a blowgun is a prohibited weapon in Canada? I realise that many weapons are deemed prohibited for whatís seems to be no reason at all besides it's 'scary' look or demeanour. Why the blowgun? Surely it canít be because itís silent. If that were the case a bow should be next on the list. No? My digging around has only uncovered that itís a lethal weapon to larger animals if the tip is poisoned. Although, we have many other tools at our disposal that are far more dangerous. I must be missing something.

Iíve been watching a lot of videos of guys dispatching small game with these suckers and it looks like a lot of fun. I really wish we could take part in this type of small game hunting. I think dropping a grouse or rabbit with a blowgun would be a wicked thrill!

Thanks in advance
Probably because some bureaucrat envisions someone being assassinated by a poisoned dart from a blowgun slipped into a sleeve.
__________________

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!



Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Pudelpointer Pudelpointer is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Back in Lethbridge
Posts: 4,647
Default

Yup. Only reason is ignorance and stupidity.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM
double gun double gun is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 4,294
Default

Same reason nunchucks are also on the list.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Lefty-Canuck's Avatar
Lefty-Canuck Lefty-Canuck is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Look behind you :)
Posts: 27,639
Default Ballista?

I always wanted to manufacture a ballista to set up on game trails around my tree stand....I could run the pull cords up to my tree stand....would this be allowed during an archery only season?

LC
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM
32-40win 32-40win is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Near Drumheller
Posts: 6,165
Default

I used to cause a lot of trouble with a straw and a bag of peas. They were good for about 20yds as I remember.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Big Daddy Badger Big Daddy Badger is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Same reason nunchucks are also on the list.
I disagree...nunchucks were lawful and still would be if not for all the idiots that started whipping them out in fist fights etc.

A lot of people...usually youths... bought or made them and started to act like idiots... smashing property and other people.
Same thing with throwing stars.
Once they hit the market every other idiot in highschool had em and they were winging em all over the damn place.

Anyone growing up on the heals of the Bruce Lee era should be able to remember that.

The blow gun thing is a bit of a mystery though...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Mistagin Mistagin is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ft. McMurray and Kingston
Posts: 1,751
Default

As a kid I made one with a 4 foot length of copper plumbing pipe; made darts from nails that I hammered and filed into little 'arrowhead' type points and were fastened into little dowels, a wad of kleenex on the other end to seal the pipe.
Slid the first dart into the pipe and went to try it out. With a bit of practice it wasn't hard to be accurate up to about 25 feet or so, so I went 'hunting'. First shot at a starling and the dart went right through it . I was pretty proud of myself

Then I found out it was an illegal weapon

Still don't know why. It would be fun and effective to use on grouse.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2013, 12:41 PM
CNP's Avatar
CNP CNP is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: WMU 303
Posts: 8,201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I always wanted to manufacture a ballista to set up on game trails around my tree stand....I could run the pull cords up to my tree stand....would this be allowed during an archery only season?

LC
Only if you are handicapped.........but wait...........asking this question makes you handicapped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlC51FbnNSw

The sound track is awesome and it's only 1:34
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM
Big Daddy Badger Big Daddy Badger is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 12,558
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Only if you are handicapped.........but wait...........asking this question makes you handicapped

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlC51FbnNSw

The sound track is awesome and it's only 1:34
Assuming it would be mounted on a trailer... would that be considered shooting from a vehicle?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:37 PM
nekred's Avatar
nekred nekred is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,776
Default

Blowguns are illegal because they are an easily concealed assassin's weapon. They can be made out of non-metallic objects and can be passed through security very easily.

They are illegal so that anyone carrying one can be charged with an offense... it is not like a person can say i am using it for hunting, target shooting etc.
__________________
That's better!...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:10 PM
bat119's Avatar
bat119 bat119 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: On the border in Lloydminster
Posts: 7,833
Default

Blowguns are pretty deadly in the old days on construction sites guys would take a 4' piece of 1/2" stainless tracer tubing and a piece of stainless 16 gauge wire put a dixie cup point on it and pierce 1/4" plywood at twenty feet. I saw a lot of pigeons with wire sticking out of them walking around .
__________________
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Pudelpointer Pudelpointer is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Back in Lethbridge
Posts: 4,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Blowguns are illegal because they are an easily concealed assassin's weapon. They can be made out of non-metallic objects and can be passed through security very easily.

They are illegal so that anyone carrying one can be charged with an offense... it is not like a person can say i am using it for hunting, target shooting etc.
Oh my. A "hunting" blowgun is anything but "easily concealable". Ceramic knife blades are non-metallic and pass through security.


Handguns are easily concealable, oh but wait, there is lots of justification (read irrational fear) for banning those too. And remember that girl in BC who was murdered with a crossbow (bolt)? Remember crossbows requiring a firearms license. Don't forget the horrific switchblade!!!! Just because the new assisted opening knives haven't been showing up in hundreds of senseless murders each year has nothing to do with the incredible danger that knives that open with the push of a button pose to society!


Sarcasm off.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-28-2018, 05:06 AM
Little red riding hood's Avatar
Little red riding hood Little red riding hood is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: 00
Posts: 507
Default

So, who we gotta start writing letters to and harassing to get them deregulated?

The argument that an assassin could use them...
That's moot! Last time I checked, assassination was illegal.
So if someone is breaking a law (killing folks) I don't think he's gonna be too concerned about a blowgun infraction!

If an assassin wants to kill someone with a blowgun... he's gonna use the blowgun. Laws be hanged!

Just watched Tim wells on YouTube hunting with a blowgun, looks like fun!
Is like to give it a go.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-28-2018, 07:36 AM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,858
Default

What's the difference between a blowgun and a 4' section of pipe?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 AM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 37,492
Default

They were made prohibited about the same time as lawn darts for the same reason- because they were available as toys and deemed" dangerous"
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-28-2018, 08:40 AM
Battle Rat Battle Rat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
What's the difference between a blowgun and a 4' section of pipe?
Every hardware store in the country is guilty of selling blow gun parts.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-28-2018, 08:50 AM
honda450's Avatar
honda450 honda450 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,952
Default

Well I never had a blow gun. But did have those darts you would put in to a
.177 pellet gun. Don't know if ya still can buy em or not.


Also had bean shooters, ammo was very cheap. Everybody had em back then. And slingshots. We were tough kids. hehe
__________________
Smoke or Fire in the Forest Dial 310-FIRE


thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-28-2018, 09:16 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 21,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I used to cause a lot of trouble with a straw and a bag of peas. They were good for about 20yds as I remember.
Bic pen and spit balls got me in trouble a few times....

Cleaned a few chalk boards during recesses.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 21,854
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Well I never had a blow gun. But did have those darts you would put in to a
.177 pellet gun. Don't know if ya still can buy em or not.


Also had bean shooters, ammo was very cheap. Everybody had em back then. And slingshots. We were tough kids. hehe
The darts were a blast eh! Man I shot the heck out of everything will them and if not lost you could reuse them
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM
bessiedog's Avatar
bessiedog bessiedog is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,194
Default

Ah..... my brothers got this big blowgun spear combo thing he brought back from Zimbabwe in the 90’s..... is it seriously prohibited?its made from African iron wood.

Kills pigeons and magpies really dang well!
__________________
"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.Ē
-HDT
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user." T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Pioneer2 Pioneer2 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,046
Default Ah.........

Yes
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Battle Rat Battle Rat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Blowguns are illegal because they are an easily concealed assassin's weapon. They can be made out of non-metallic objects and can be passed through security very easily.

They are illegal so that anyone carrying one can be charged with an offense... it is not like a person can say i am using it for hunting, target shooting etc.
Has anyone actually ever been assassinated with one, other than in the movies?
Not saying that a poison dart wouldn't work just that there are better choices.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-28-2018, 01:03 PM
catnthehat's Avatar
catnthehat catnthehat is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ft. McMurray
Posts: 37,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Has anyone actually ever been assassinated with one, other than in the movies?
Not saying that a poison dart wouldn't work just that there are better choices.
Nothing to do with assinating someone, more to do with home safety for kids, same as the lawn darts
Cat
__________________
Anytime I figure I've got this long range thing figured out, I just strap into the sling and irons and remind myself that I don't!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-28-2018, 01:42 PM
wack99 wack99 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW Calgary
Posts: 207
Default

For the Sparky's out there, a piece of 1/2" pvc and a marrette

Jason
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
calgarychef calgarychef is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,341
Default

I can't help but think that hunting grouse with a blowgun would be the most fun a feller could have
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-28-2018, 06:34 PM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Every hardware store in the country is guilty of selling blow gun parts.
I'm thinking of reporting them. Our local hardware store is selling parts for prohibited weapons. That would make a "good" headline hey.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-28-2018, 09:29 PM
EZM's Avatar
EZM EZM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 11,139
Default

The damn Ninja movies in the 80's ruined it all for us.

It has, however, effectively eliminated 100% of those blow gun assassinations, that were running rampant here in 80's.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:21 PM
Battle Rat Battle Rat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm thinking of reporting them. Our local hardware store is selling parts for prohibited weapons. That would make a "good" headline hey.
Ya, tell them they are assault blow guns.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-28-2018, 11:33 PM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6,858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Ya, tell them they are assault blow guns.
Well, naturally the PVC pipe versions are more dangerous.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.