Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

I sent an email and backed it up with a letter to Blake Richards our M.P.. I specifically asked for a reply from him and not his Executive Assistant or other staff. I will post his reply if and when I get one.

This is very serious stuff!!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
I sent an email and backed it up with a letter to Blake Richards our M.P.. I specifically asked for a reply from him and not his Executive Assistant or other staff. I will post his reply if and when I get one.

This is very serious stuff!!
I did the same thing to blake richards Everybody should be getting in contact with there MP and signing petition and join the nfa we need to fight as a group

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
I did the same thing to blake richards Everybody should be getting in contact with there MP and signing petition and join the nfa we need to fight as a group

Absolutely!! I sent one to Harper as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Absolutely!! I sent one to Harper as well.
This has got to be getting their ears twitching. Multiple people all saying the same thing will garner the attention of even the least interested mp. Their reason for existence is to secure votes. I bet this is the main topic that they are getting letters about right now.
So now we need to turn up the pressure.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 PM
Banned

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...wners-worried/
Old 02-28-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Agreed, I don't care if it is a legally bought rocket launcher.
I'd buy one on the spot if anyone stocked them.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:15 PM

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-...ref_map=%5B%5D
Old 02-28-2014, 02:17 PM

OTTAWA -- The Harper government, which has championed the rights of gun owners for years, is reviewing a decision by the RCMP to effectively ban a previously legal rifle.
The National Firearms Association says the Mounties have reclassified the Swiss Arms Classic Green carbine as a prohibited weapon, essentially banning it.
Alberta Tory MP Chris Warkentin raised the issue in question period Friday, saying the rifles had been legally sold for a decade.
RELATED STORIES
Feds delay measures on serial numbers for guns until 2015
Ottawa commissioning study on prospect of 3D-printed guns
Quebec loses another gun-registry battle with the federal government
He says there have never been any criminal events reported involving the weapon, but it has been banned at the stroke of a pen.
Roxanne James, the parliamentary secretary to the minister of Public Safety, says the government is troubled by the ruling and will review what she calls an unfortunate decision.
She says a number of options are being explored.
The issue is a tricky one for the Harper government, which campaigned for years to eliminate the long-gun registry and even went to court to keep Quebec from holding on to existing records from the registry.
"We are in fact very troubled by the situation that has arisen from the Swiss Arms rifle," James told the House of Commons. "This decision was made by bureaucrats and not by politicians."
The firearms association said in a statement that there are 1,000 to 1,800 of the rifles in Canadian hands.
"The government will not be offering compensation and will be demanding that the firearms, which cost between $3,000-$4,000 be surrendered," the statement said.
"The government is suggesting that all affected firearms owners contact the distributors from which the firearms were purchased for reimbursement."
James said the issue of compensation is being studied.
"I would like to let all Canadians know that all options are on the table to ensure that no firearms owner who acted in good faith suffers any consequences as a result of this terrible situation," she said.
The firearms association said the ban is part of a quiet RCMP effort to prohibit firearms in Canada.
"Access-to-information records show that RCMP have an aggressive firearms reclassification agenda and that prohibitions will not stop with the Swiss Arms series rifles," the association said on its website.
Its Facebook page is even more direct with this posting: "Has RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson declared war on law-abiding firearm owners?"
The association said the weapons have been around for years without incident and some of them were even formally listed in the gun registry before the RCMP decided on prohibition.
The RCMP has not given an explanation of its decision.
The gun association calls it an assault on the rights and private property of law-abiding gun owners.
It's urging people to contact the government and write their MPs to get the decision overturned.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ottawa-...#ixzz2ueb0ahTJ
Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Banned

As posted on CGN:

CZ 858 manufactured in 2007 or later are now prohibited too.....

All the CZ 858s with a proof stamp of 2007 or newer have been moved to prohibited as of this afternoon.

The RCMP is going all in on this.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
But those who own full auto can't sell them, or trade them or will them to their kids. And there has not been any licensing for full auto in many years, and most likely never will be again. Once those who currently have full auto die off, so does the full auto in civilian hands. And there is no place one can take their current legally owned full auto to shoot anymore.

Bottom line, like you say, is the government does not trust us.

How long until they take away the next type of rifle just because of it's looks, or heritage? And none of this has saved any lives, nor affects the criminal element.
True.

It pizzes me off because society trusted old men and young boys more when I was a kid than they trust me...in my middle years with a secret security clearance, no criminal record, 28 years of national service and a license to work with gaseous cyanide.

What happened?

I have no issue with licenses or training but if a person gets all the ticks in the box... there is no reason to stop them from owning something and no reason to start raising the bar higher than it is.

I do not care to own one of the rifles in question but... why shouldn't I if I wish to?

What more do I need to do to prove that I am trustworthy?

40 years ago we could hop in a truck with gramps and go to any range or safe place and have at it with whatever he salvaged off of a dead Nazi and everythung was hunky dory.
Now... there is no place to shoot them and the rael fun ones will be turned into scrap within the next few years.

Once that happens what is next?

All semi's... anything with a magazine?
Old 02-28-2014, 04:21 PM

Signed.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:22 PM

You can guarantee they are not done yet. This is bull**** cz 858s are easy to convert my ass. How many of us have a milling machine and the ability to make all the evil parts. Seems like it's not all that easy for us peasants. Enough is enough!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 PM

It seems like one of Harper's ministers signed off on the request (suggestion, whatever apparently from the RCMP) to ban the Swiss Arms rifle. So is the prohibition order on the RCMP, this minister, or both? It would seem that the minister's signature would be what made the ban official - not as some suggest, the RCMP making the law on their own. A number of "reasons" for the minister doing this are seeming being put forth (read damage control) and probably more will come. Interesting will be if this same minister signed off on the (suggestion, whatever) as regards the CZ 858. If this minister is signing anything to do with the banning of any firearms and doesn't realize the impact of what he is doing, then he should no longer be in a ministerial position. The public needs a whole lot more information than is available right now. The point being - the ban is in place. What if anything is Harper going to do about it as it has the potential to create a very significant backlash in the face of an election.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:35 PM

This info was covered in a National Post article - Feb 27 - written by Matt Gurney "Canada's Convoluted Firearms Regulations Should Have Legal Gun Owners Worried". The person signing off was Public Safety Minister, Steven Blaney. Harper "et al" own this one and it is up to them to make things right.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 PM

the buck stops at the minister. civil servants are untouchable when they were just doing the job according to regulations. fraud, negligence and misconduct still apply.

Harper government is to blame.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 02-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Since when do the police make the laws?

I thought that was the job of the legisature or parliament.

Scary.
When? When it is a police state. Hey.. everyone said we didn't need property rights when they dreamed up that rag we have for a constitution.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
not once have I posted only mil or leo should have access to mil arms is suggest they be trained to that level.
This is hilarious! Crazy.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestuart View Post
You can guarantee they are not done yet. This is bull**** cz 858s are easy to convert my ass. How many of us have a milling machine and the ability to make all the evil parts. Seems like it's not all that easy for us peasants. Enough is enough!
If we all had access to a milling machine and the skills, why would we bother modifying anything? We could just build one outright to shoot however we wanted. Heck we can download the plans and build one on a 3d printer.

Just because someone "can" modify something for a purpose that is not permitted, does not mean we will.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
It seems like one of Harper's ministers signed off on the request (suggestion, whatever apparently from the RCMP) to ban the Swiss Arms rifle. So is the prohibition order on the RCMP, this minister, or both? It would seem that the minister's signature would be what made the ban official - not as some suggest, the RCMP making the law on their own. A number of "reasons" for the minister doing this are seeming being put forth (read damage control) and probably more will come. Interesting will be if this same minister signed off on the (suggestion, whatever) as regards the CZ 858. If this minister is signing anything to do with the banning of any firearms and doesn't realize the impact of what he is doing, then he should no longer be in a ministerial position. The public needs a whole lot more information than is available right now. The point being - the ban is in place. What if anything is Harper going to do about it as it has the potential to create a very significant backlash in the face of an election.
Here is Steven Blaney's reply after the fact. I hope he does as he says, and corrects this problem. I don't want to have to turn in anything now or in the future.

http://www.conservative.ca/?p=4369

Unacceptable

February 28, 2014

Conservatives have always stood up for law-abiding gun owners.

That’s why I was troubled to learn of a decision made by unelected bureaucrats to prohibit a number of rifles imported from Switzerland.

I want to assure you that I will not let law-abiding gun owners suffer as a result of this situation.

These now “prohibited” firearms had been classified as non-restricted for more than a decade. The RCMP has no idea how many of these rifles exist, and they have not announced any plan on how to deal with those who purchased these firearms lawfully.

I want to assure you all options are on the table to fix this situation. I will also be taking steps to make sure this never happens again.

The actions of these bureaucrats are absolutely unacceptable and I will be announcing concrete measures in the coming days.

Our Conservative Government is on your side — and we will always stand up for the rights of law-abiding firearms owners.

Thank you once again for your years of loyal support.

Sincerely,

Steven Blaney
MP, Levis-Bellechasse
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Banned

Classification powers need to be held by a gun friendly organisation...Tony Bernardo, CSSA, something like that...not the anti-gun RCMP...may as well give the power to Wendy Cukier as the RCMP.

Restricted classification needs to be done away with.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
If we all had access to a milling machine and the skills, why would we bother modifying anything? We could just build one outright to shoot however we wanted. Heck we can download the plans and build one on a 3d printer.

Just because someone "can" modify something for a purpose that is not permitted, does not mean we will.
x2

I will bet that rwm123 even sees guns made by the most rudimentary means where he currently resides.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Classification powers need to be held by a gun friendly organisation...Tony Bernardo, CSSA, something like that...not the anti-gun RCMP...may as well give the power to Wendy Cukier as the RCMP.

Restricted classification needs to be done away with.
Completely agree.

The irony of it is the majority of restricted firearms are actually less powerful than plenty of none restricted ones.

And prohibition by looks alone needs to go.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up

As stated in these threads, our gov't does not trust us once elected, but during campaigning they trust us totally / we'll kiss your butt/ please vote for us. Oh they trust you with a .338 Lapua to shoot coyote's if you so choose, ( lethal how far!) but not a .22 rimfire pistol to shoot gophers or dispatch wounded game, we all know the drill and it's sickening. Harper's agenda is the economy which is well and good, but doesn't seem to give a rat's a----s about issues such as these, now that he thinks the registry is dead, basically he just stuck a pacifier in gun owner's mouths and figured well that's outa my hair(NOT). Time to give Daniel Smith a try , at least she and family are from High River and they know first hand the atrocities that went on there with the Horse cops. I'm afraid Conservatives will get in again as big business is in bed with them and Redford ( entitled scum). Wildrose for me.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
As stated in these threads, our gov't does not trust us once elected, but during campaigning they trust us totally / we'll kiss your butt/ please vote for us. Oh they trust you with a .338 Lapua to shoot coyote's if you so choose, ( lethal how far!) but not a .22 rimfire pistol to shoot gophers or dispatch wounded game, we all know the drill and it's sickening. Harper's agenda is the economy which is well and good, but doesn't seem to give a rat's a----s about issues such as these, now that he thinks the registry is dead, basically he just stuck a pacifier in gun owner's mouths and figured well that's outa my hair(NOT). Time to give Daniel Smith a try , at least she and family are from High River and they know first hand the atrocities that went on there with the Horse cops. I'm afraid Conservatives will get in again as big business is in bed with them and Redford ( entitled scum). Wildrose for me.
Completely agree. Unfortunately that only helps us at a provincial level.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM

You're right , but we gotta start somewhere and Redford's gotta go.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
You're right , but we gotta start somewhere and Redford's gotta go.
Absolutely.

On a related subject I suggest everyone phones the Conservative party hq 1 (866) 808-8407
Option 1 then 1 again. You'll get a real person, who from his flustered tone appears to be getting overwhelmed with calls demanding the conservative govt step up and follow their promise to scrap c68.
He was very quick to say it was a bureaucratic decision which will not be allowed to stand or happen again.

So it seems like they are bowing to the pressure. So let's keep it up.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Agreed!--TG.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:34 PM

signed, what a disappointment this whole process is to me. Disgusted with the power people have let the RCMP have.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:25 PM

everbody needs to send emails or call their members of parliament join the nfa sign a petition do them all send a email to the prime minster

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Far from just a switch , my 270 has a two position switch safe and fire. It in no manner can be converted to any thing but its single fire configuration. Pay attention im no newb notice ten parts away. thats key as I dont know that rifle. However I know some about how easy most are to convert .
Sg 550 rotating bolt gas opreated slect fire rifle , now this bit is key → cyclic rate 700 rpm .
Canadian variant semi auto.
See, do you guy get that cause thats how the book calls it, that is its proper classification.
Shaking my head. Go and sit this one out. Don't cry when they come for your semi after the dust settles. Partner, all semis could be converted if you redesigned the internal parts ("10 parts" or less). If you gave an industrious guy who can opperate a mill or lathe some time. In the case of the 858s the "selecter" is NOT even cut to accept FA parts. I've seen worn semis (never designed to fire FA) go three shot burst due to slam fire. This decision is strictly a tecnicallity. Recievers that were machined on the same line but NEVER assembled as a FA were used to build rifles, BUT purpose made SA parts were used. In the case of the 858, they even modified the reciever by welding in blocks and fill welding cut outs to ENSURE the rifle would NOT accept FA parts. Don't kid youself here. All firearms and their owners are in trouble. The point is not the cause but now the effect.