Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 PM

Default Argo Avenger 8x8

Seriously considering buying one, seems anywhere I want to go in my neck of the woods one runs into swamp. Was thinking about a side x side but they will be stuck the same, would be great for crossing small lakes etc. I realize the downfall of being much slower but I think the advantage of being able to use in Winter with tracks and go anywhere. How many of you own or have owned one and would you buy again? The centaur would be the ultimate machine but just a tad much for the budget.

Last edited by Skytop B; 06-29-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:42 PM

I own one and love it. We have tons of swamp here and it is the only answer in the gumbo.

However, mine is for sale if you are interested. I think that I am going to upgrade to a new unit this fall.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:44 PM

Not finding much for AB dealers with decent websites to check out, any recommendations?
Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
Not finding much for AB dealers with decent websites to check out, any recommendations?
Alberta is a big place. What area?
Old 06-29-2014, 06:21 PM

I live in Rocky, looks like Argyll Motorsports will be worth checking out.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:52 PM

We have 8 of them for work. They work great everywhere but going up hills in deep snow. Great machines as long as you maintenance them regularly. We had a centaur and the best day of having it was the day we sold it.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:27 PM

I have a couple of the older Conquests. They are good machines in the muck and muskeg, will take you places others just can't go. They have their downsides, of course, but they take me through some nasty stuff.
Couple examples
http://youtu.be/PAq53Tl7LZ4

http://youtu.be/l0aE6mPTQ5s

RD
Old 06-29-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
I have a couple of the older Conquests. They are good machines in the muck and muskeg, will take you places others just can't go. They have their downsides, of course, but they take me through some nasty stuff.
Couple examples

RD
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM

They are impressive machines.

Btw if someone has one in the whitecourt area send me a pm I have parts I no longer need that I'd give away
Old 06-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
Couple examples

RD
If you want to know what an Argo will go through, just watch what the Rock Doctor does. One of my go to You Tube Videos to watch.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:16 PM

Default argo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
If you want to know what an Argo will go through, just watch what the Rock Doctor does. One of my go to You Tube Videos to watch.
X2. Best argo videos out there!
Old 06-29-2014, 10:01 PM

argos are very cool but the speed and severe lack of power just doesn't do it for me. I don't know about the newer ones but the old conquest 8 wheel units were so gutless. they would actually power out on a hill that a quad would fly up
Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltburner View Post
argos are very cool but the speed and severe lack of power just doesn't do it for me. I don't know about the newer ones but the old conquest 8 wheel units were so gutless. they would actually power out on a hill that a quad would fly up
At one time, I used to believe this was true as well. I even went so far as to re-power one of my Conquests with a 30% increase in Ponies (This machine also has the Low Geared Trans). Then, over time, I learned that you don't drive an Argo the same as other machines. There is a right way and a lot of wrong ways. My daughters Conquest is completely stock with the 20hp Kawi and the Medium Geared Trans. Interestingly, she can go all the same places with her machine that I can go with mine. Loaded or empty, Steep hills or Muskeg.........
The newer machines, like the HDI and the Titan, are more user friendly in some ways. They have more HP, larger tires, more clearance and the new Admiral (Tripple Planetary) Trans, making them more of a "Point and Shoot" type of machine. They are a "true" 8 wheel drive, and can even Counter-rotate the tire banks. Very much easier to learn to drive than the older "Open Diff" style Trans of the past.
Personally, I still prefer to run the older machines, I feel I have greater control in tight spots and in deep muck. I also believe I have greater control decending hills, and swimming in water (Mostly because the newer Trans will NOT skid one bank of tires to turn, they work on a 3-1 ratio. When turning, the inside bank of tires will slow to 1/3 the speed of the outside tires. UNLESS you are in low range, in which case the inside bank of tires will REVERSE direction, turning backwards at 1/3 the speed of the outside tires.)
Hills are another issue with the newer machines. Basically, with the implimentation of the "Handlebar Steering", they have made it impossible to activate both main brakes at one time. So, now, when traversing steep terrain with a loaded machine, and possibly a loaded trailer, you must rely on, what amounts to, a Bike handbrake. This handbrake actuates a set of secondary brakes that, in my experience, are not strong enough to slow/stop a loaded machine in steep country. You can "help" slow the machine on downward grades by alternatly activating the "main" brakes (Steering Brakes). This will slow you down, but will also make you "zig-zag" down the hill.

Argo's are "Niche" machines. They are not fast, they are not "comfy", Hell, most of the time they are not even fun, but in the mucky/muskeg conditions I ride in, they are hard to beat.

Two whole moose
[IMG][/IMG]

RD
Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 AM

I hear u on the bicycle brake RD, didn't take me long to snap the cable on my Bigfoot, going down a steep hill with a load can get the operator pretty excited without it. Although it didn't do quite enough anyway so u end up jerking this way and that way all the way down.
But I do like the one hand operation 90% of the time.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:09 PM

New Argo Titan. I heard roughly $40,000 out the door equiped like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

RD
Old 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post
We have 8 of them for work. They work great everywhere but going up hills in deep snow. Great machines as long as you maintenance them regularly. We had a centaur and the best day of having it was the day we sold it.
For going uphill in deep snow try it in reverse. Mine does much better this way.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:10 PM

There are just some places to travel and some jobs that need to get done that leave you no choice in equipment than an argo.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps52ab8bc6.jpg

Sure it may not exceed 30 KM/hr, and be not near the fun as a quad or SXS, but use it for what it was designed for and you can't beat it. The moose in the picture I'll guarantee still weighed close to 1000 lbs in the back of the argo, (over 700 lbs fully dressed on the scales at Rocky meats) and even had to cross a fairly deep beaver pond to access him, and get him back to camp. Without a argo it probably would have required a helicopter.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:42 PM

Cool pic Graywolf

There are a number of other machines, similar to Argo, it's just that they have never gained popularity in Canada. I don't know much about most of them.
Max is very popular in the States, and the Mudd-Ox is gaining quite a bit of ground with it's Hydrostatic Drive system and Diesel engine.
Others include:
Attex
Hustler
Amphicat
Camel
Coot
Jiger
Scrambler
Starcraft
Terra Tiger

Very few of these are still in production though.

RD
Old 06-30-2014, 05:13 PM

thx;

There was also the Prairie Bobcat built back in the 80's in Edmonton.
They were all metal, heavy and were junk IMO.... i owned one.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Grey, thats a full load!

Can't haul that on a quad..

I have a 6x6 on tracks, makes life easy when the going gets tuff.
Only gets used when it's to much for the quad. On hard ground i prefer the quad and tub trailer.