Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM

Default Successful Bow Hunting....

Been extremly buzy with last minute bowhunters [hope most of you are not one of these ...lol]

Than opening day came along...took two weeks off to bow hunt

Opening morning was a shock to the system, usually we choice our ground blind or tree stand, get set up well before light and wait until daylight for the ghosts to slowly appear out of an eerie morning fog.

The ghosts, meaning the elk that silently appear seemingly out of nowhere thru a foggy mist, well that wasn’t the case this year, being the first day I certainly wasn’t ready for any of it.

In the near pitch blackness of 4:00 in the AM, As I stumbled towards my stand elk started running by me at the speed of “wholly crap”, I ran towards my blind and dove for cover fearing being trampled as they pasted me on all sides.

Now totally unready and first day in the blind the grass and weeds were waist high and I had to pull it out just to find a spot to sit, so here I am frantically pulling weeds as elk crashed by.

The elk kept coming, with dozens before I it was even slightly light enough to see them, and they wouldn’t leave, I swear they were circling the blind on purpose, I kind of felt like Custer at his last stand.

As legal light came it didn’t slow down, I prepared my blind while trying to keep an eye on the elk, the weeds incidentally turned out to be thistle, thorn bush and stinging needle.

Although I had light gloves on the thorns burned my hands, and then of course whipping the sweat off your face, which most likely came from fear more than the walking or work.

Was not a great idea, the stinging needle which I didn’t see in the dark, was impregnated in my gloves so now my face burned and itched beyond words, but I still kept an eye on the elk, I had very shoot-able bulls within mere yards/meters of me.

In that first five minutes of legal light of opening day I had 5-6 bulls extreme close, however since I didn’t get one of the 12 hunting draws I put in for, I could take my time and be a little picky on taking a bull elk.

The biggest bull a smaller 5X4 antlered bull also wouldn’t leave my blind, I was surrounded on all sides, and he presented me the opportunity a half dozen times, but I decided to pass.

We had four bowhunters in camp and we all seen outstanding action, it was one of the most heart pumping opening days I have ever had, then things went quite…too quite!

For the rest of the week if you didn’t know better you would swear there was never an elk around these parts, it took a lot just to see an elk or two it was like they disappeared off the face of the earth.

But that’s elk hunting, feast or famine…”heard” animals…heard of them…never see them, however that’s what adds to the adventures, and we are a relentless group and sooner or later…looks like later was going to be the norm.

To add to our misery of not seeing elk after that fantastic opening day, things were dampened even more, it wasn’t our spirits rather it was us literally, we have never seen it as wet as it was out there.

This is a place where cactus and sage grows not known for moisture, however in the mornings there was thick morning dew and everything was soaked, we would be soaked to the waist just on the walk in the morning darkness.

We tried Gortex socks and Gortex pants to keep our Gortex boots and feet dry, as cold wet feet made unhappy bowhunters, we found first hand that Gortex waterproof breathable material boots hold water great.

However aside from being wet and elk activity being slow the trip would have been successful even if we didn’t see elk, but we did, of the four of us three of us are tagged out for elk.

Arnie started it off with a 5x4 bull, than Blaine scored also on a nice 5x4 bull, than it came to my turn when one morning it was like the elk work up and it was feast time.

There was a lot of action that morning and bulls were bugling all over, I was caught up in the action and when a bull came running from a Km away to my bugles and walked just meters from me…

I gave thanks over my bull, a good 5x5 bull with long antler tines; even though there were bigger bulls nearby this bull will also be the best tablefare of the bunch.

We had Barbequed back straps, enjoyed and shared the adventures with good friends and did get some much needed R&R in between the action parts, it doesn’t get any better than that.

Now for a monster mule buck...

Neil
Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM

Great story, gotta love it though when a plan comes together. Nice Bull !
Old 09-18-2014, 03:05 PM

Default Great hunt

Nice going Neil, any elk with a bow is a trophy and yours is a very nice bull. Sounds like you guys were in the right area and did all the right things, congrats. Cheers Roscoe
Old 09-18-2014, 03:15 PM

Nice work...hard to switch gears sometimes from elk to deer or moose but I am sure you will persevere through it

LC
Old 09-18-2014, 03:22 PM

Congrats on your bull!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

You made the right choice, if it isn't 330+ going for the meat is the way to go I think. Great bull, congrats Neil!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You made the right choice, if it isn't 330+ going for the meat is the way to go I think. Great bull, congrats Neil!
yup...I already got a 400 Plus typical bull with the bow so the pressure is off for the rest of my life ...lol

Neil
Old 09-18-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nice work...hard to switch gears sometimes from elk to deer or moose but I am sure you will persevere through it

LC
Yesss....so hard ...have to get in the Mule buck mode...without bugling for them ...lol

Neil
Old 09-18-2014, 04:04 PM

Congrats! Great story aswell!
Old 09-18-2014, 04:07 PM

Default Great work!

Thanks for the story! Hope mine comes soon put a arrow threw a 3 inch tree this morning instead of the bulls lungs I had at 12 yards.. Maybe the weekend.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:03 PM

Congrats on the bull, Neil
Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 PM

Great bull Neil!

Any pictures of the typical 400" +elk? I'd love to see!
Old 09-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Good to hear the adventure! Congrats on your groups success. Your in some good country. all the best on your Mule buck. Monster of course!
Old 09-18-2014, 06:03 PM

Congrats on a great bull.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-18-2014, 07:04 PM

Nice Elk Sir!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
yup...I already got a 400 Plus typical bull with the bow so the pressure is off for the rest of my life ...lol

Neil
Pics?

Congrats one the bull too!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:49 PM

Congrats, nice way to start the season, way to go buddy!

I've saw pics of the 400... what a dandy bull!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Congrats Neil!

I would like to see pics of the 400..... Alberta Bull?
Old 09-19-2014, 07:57 AM

By request...followed this bull for 7 miles on foot, got downwind called him in from near a mile away and he came crashing..could see trees falling from hundreds of yards away as he came...

he passed me under 20 yards ...I drew and put one in the boiler room with a Proto type Sonic Broadhead I was Testing...

He went 40 yards and simply fell over...

Only animal that the antlers truely grew the closer I got...

Alberta Prairie Elk

Dryed score 403 B&C/P&Y and change

Thing that scared me the most is this bull had numerous deep 1 inch punture marks in his rear end where a bigger bull put the run on him by pushing him off with its antlers....

Bugling Shoulder Mount in Shop

Pictures dont do it justice!
lol

Neil
Old 09-19-2014, 08:05 AM

That is a GIANT thanks for sharing!

LC
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 AM

He is a hog....he is one of the most perfect 7x7 main frame typicals I have ever seen...usually when they get that big they get non-typ..
technically his right is a 9 with the scoreable stickers...but they were a deduction on score...

He scored very well due to long tine and mass...two hand circumferances up to 5th point...

Neil
Old 09-19-2014, 08:24 AM

Great bull (this years)! Awesome bull (older one)!! Congrats
Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
By request...followed this bull for 7 miles on foot, got downwind called him in from near a mile away and he came crashing..could see trees falling from hundreds of yards away as he came...

he passed me under 20 yards ...I drew and put one in the boiler room with a Proto type Sonic Broadhead I was Testing...

He went 40 yards and simply fell over...

Only animal that the antlers truely grew the closer I got...

Alberta Prairie Elk

Dryed score 403 B&C/P&Y and change

Thing that scared me the most is this bull had numerous deep 1 inch punture marks in his rear end where a bigger bull put the run on him by pushing him off with its antlers....

Bugling Shoulder Mount in Shop

Pictures dont do it justice!
lol

Neil
Monster! Congrats!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Dam...thanks for sharing!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-19-2014, 01:23 PM

Congrats Neil thanks for sharing
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 PM

congrats. Bugled him in from a km away. Wow, I've heard that works, just not for me. I must be hunting at the wrong time.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRackLover View Post
congrats. Bugled him in from a km away. Wow, I've heard that works, just not for me. I must be hunting at the wrong time.

Oh ya ...many, many times..even much further....and when they do their eyes are buldging.. steam is blowing out their nose and their hair on their back is standing on end...they dont/cant even see you unless you have antlers...would suggest you not wear your antler hat that day....lol

If that doesnt turn any feeling-less mans legs into rubber I dont know what will !!!!!!

lol
Neil
Old 09-19-2014, 02:37 PM

congrats on two fine bulls, with the deadhead you found in Camp Wainright that makes two 400 inch typical bulls from AB!!!very envious
Old 09-19-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
congrats on two fine bulls, with the deadhead you found in Camp Wainright that makes two 400 inch typical bulls from AB!!!very envious
And a couple 350 Class ...lol see no pressure...lol

Neil
Old 09-19-2014, 03:39 PM

Wow. He's a beauty! Thanks for sharing