Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Late Season Waterfowl

Anyone still pestering the migrants? Couple late season pics.

200811250001.jpg

200811250002.jpg

200811250003.jpg

200811250005.jpg

200811250007.jpg

200811250006.jpg

200811250008.jpg

This one is not amused and is giving me the "You got to be insane look" after a short swim in the fridget water.

200811250009.jpg

The yellow fellow does most of the cold water stuff but she carries her wieght as well and does the lion's share of the early season work.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Great pics.....plannin on getting out myself a few times in December for sure.....
Old 11-25-2008, 10:10 PM

That is really what it is all about. Those are great photos.. My Lab would fit right in.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Great pics! We'll be heading out this weekend and then resume the chase full force in Dec. Thx for sharing.

Danni
Old 11-27-2008, 01:28 AM

sorry i dont really know much about dogs for waterfowl hunting, but what are those vests they're wearing? do they keep them warm in the water?
nice pics and great looking dogs
Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 AM

Trying to get a late season hunt together, but things keep falling through!
Cat
Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM

Tons of birds down by the Hat!!
Out at Rattlesnake yesterday morning and could not believe the amount of mallards zipping around,as well as tons of canadas.
Managed 4 canadas and 4 mallards....those green heads are very plump!!
Would have had more but I seem to be having trouble hitting things with the new/used Beretta semi auto.
A week ago there was no where near this amount of ducks,lakes are pretty much wide open down here still.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
sorry i dont really know much about dogs for waterfowl hunting, but what are those vests they're wearing? do they keep them warm in the water?
The vests are neoprene and make a big difference. Doesn't seem like it would but I believe it keeps massive heat loss from the core area (heart and lungs) from happening. They warm up faster as well when back in the blind. They still shiver for a couple minutes but it stops quickly until they hear more ducks.

My dogs sleep in the house so I feel they are a must for cold water. When I kennelled dogs in the past I never bothered with them.

MK
Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Neoprene and yes they keep them warmer in the water and out of it. Mine even gives the dog a little extra floatation to help on the long retrieves.

Pretty essential when hunting days like this:

Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 AM

ahhh neoprene, yea i use a neoprene life jacket for water sports. Definatley helps keep the upper body heat in, thats a good idea for a dog. I wouldn't think they would need it though. Mind you labs dont have overly long fur either.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
ahhh neoprene, yea i use a neoprene life jacket for water sports. Definatley helps keep the upper body heat in, thats a good idea for a dog. I wouldn't think they would need it though. Mind you labs dont have overly long fur either.
Water is much different than air temp. A person would be dead in a couple minutes in 0 degree water. It sucks the heat right out of you. A drop in core temp of a couple degrees is fatal in humans. Not a big deal if your in and out quickly but as mentioned above on long retrieves a vest makes it more enjoyable for the dogs and adds saftey.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:53 AM

yea it makes sense for sure. I eventually want to start hunting with a dog once i have more experience hunting. but i'll only use it for upland birds as i am not so into the duck hunting. This vest probably wouldn't be necessary, would it? or would it be a good idea on the cold days?
Old 11-27-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
yea it makes sense for sure. I eventually want to start hunting with a dog once i have more experience hunting. but i'll only use it for upland birds as i am not so into the duck hunting. This vest probably wouldn't be necessary, would it? or would it be a good idea on the cold days?
Depending on the type of bush you are hunting. Vests for upland hunting are light wieght and are designed to protect the dog from cuts and scratches in the nasty stuff. The waterfowl type vests should NOT be used for upland as there is a real danger in the dog over heating.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Default Ducks in the Boat?

Are those teal, widgeon, or divers, in the boat next to to the dog? Are those pics recent?

Thanks

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Would have had more but I seem to be having trouble hitting things with the new/used Beretta semi auto..
Changing shotguns can drive a man to drink. I finally took my old one (XL 900 SKB) and the new one (Browning 500 G) and had D Henry make them the same right down to the beads. What a difference an inch here and a tweek there makes.

The gun shoulders right and I was looking right down the line automatically but was still not killing birds like the days of lead. Then I found a choke shell combo that is absolutely perfect.

I tried Black Cloud #2 and after a couple choke changes was impressed with the results, however the wound channels were causing too much damage. I switched up and bought a case of #4 and WOW. Nice dense pattern out to 45 yards and like the box says "drops ducks like rain"

Be patient and find what works. I know most folks are going 2s and bigger but I'm dropping those big northern Mallards as dead as lead with #4.

Good luck,
MK
Old 11-27-2008, 10:50 PM

very nice... I'm hoping to head out for a shoot next sunday.... should be fun!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:44 AM

very nice pictures, id like to head out again, i seen tons of canadas honking around lethbridge!
Old 11-28-2008, 12:53 PM

First year waterfowl hunter, so sorry about the silly question but is it normal to still be seeing birds this time of year down south or is it just cause of the warm weather we still have for november?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:58 PM

[/QUOTE]

Wondering what kind of boat that is. Will it hold 2 people and a dog plus some decoys? looking to get something other than my canoe for next year.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
Wondering what kind of boat that is. Will it hold 2 people and a dog plus some decoys? looking to get something other than my canoe for next year.[/QUOTE]

It's an Intruder Jon Boat from Pelican. Very stable and does hold two guys a couple dozen dekes, about 80lbs of motor and a 95 lb Lab quite well. It is about $900 at Wholesale. You can grab the sides and haul yourself or your dog in without fear of tipping and can shoot from it standing up while it is floating. Light enough to drag a few dozen yards to get it in and out of the water. Not the best out there but not bad for the money.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Sweet pics.... but my Britt refuses to break ice so that hunting is done. Gonna have to try some pass field shooting this weekend. Think I know a place.... But wait, last weekend for deer!!!! decisions decisions
Old 11-28-2008, 01:21 PM

yeah I saw that boat in wholesale last time I was in, didn't know how good it would be or how much it would hold. Thanks
Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmered View Post
First year waterfowl hunter, so sorry about the silly question but is it normal to still be seeing birds this time of year down south or is it just cause of the warm weather we still have for november?

We pretty much have birds year round here.
Even on winters where there is long stretches of cold the birds will pit in on the river at the power plant cooling outlet and be OK.
I've shot birds right up to X Mas.
Right now the lakes are still open so there are large amounts of ducks around,but as soon as they freeze up they move on.
Usually after that the Canada's and a smattering of green heads hang by the river.
Best shooting late in the year when some snow is around,throw some decoys out,put on the white camo suit and have at er!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 02:30 PM

BTW I'm looking for some new ways to cook up these plump mallards.
Anybody got some of there favorite recipes for duck and or goose they want to share??
Old 11-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Thats wicked! I stopped at the end of october this year due to all the lakes being froze up north here. Next year I plan on making a trip down south to do some more shooting after deer season!! Wish I would have started when I was younger, Lost so many good years of duck hunting!!!1

I'm sure you've tried it but I love just bbq and then the day after slice it up and eat it on cheese and crackers cold. Very good
Old 11-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
BTW I'm looking for some new ways to cook up these plump mallards.
Anybody got some of there favorite recipes for duck and or goose they want to share??
Deep fried stuffed duck breast.

Posted this on another forum but figured it would fit here again. It's a way of cooking ducks and geese that will appeal even to people who say they don't like waterfowl but still has enough of the duck flavor to appeal to those of us who do like it. Try this out, you won't be disappointed with the results.

Step one: Pluck the breast of a medium to large duck and singe of the pin feathers.

Step 2: Cut the breast off the bone in one piece so that you have the 2 halves still connected by the skin.

Step 3: Cut a crosshatch pattern on the meat side of the breast but be carefull not to cut all the way through. Season meat side well with salt and pepper, cajun seasoning, or my favorite --OLD BAY.

Step 4: Put your favorite stuffing in the breast and tie the breast up with butcher string as shown (skewers or good sharp tooth picks can be used to hold it together too ). The stuffing shown is just ritz crackers, salt, pepper and parsley. But I've used fruit, herb, and sausage stuffings too.

Step 5. Roll in a light dusting of flour and deep fry at about 345-350 until the skin's really nice and brown(or roast at 425 for 20 minutes -- baste with oil or butter as she's going). Take out of oil, drain, dust with your favorite seasoning salt or spice and let sit about 5 minutes before taking off the string and slicing. Should be medium rare when done. I serve this with a drizzle of sauce made from lemon juice, mayonaise, capers, green onion, salt/pepper, hot sauce and worchesteshire.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:02 PM

That recipe looks awesome sjemac-thanks for sharing it.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:10 AM

My method of dealing with duck breast is pretty much the same other than the fact that I leave the breast on the bone. I cut through the rib cage on both sides up to the wing joint with shears and peel back the breast plate and remove with skin on. The heart and liver are then also easily removed. Season and roast @ same temp and time.

Your idea of cutting the boned out breast in a cross-hatch pattern also allows for a better search for shot.

Thanks for the post. Mouth watering and great method of preparation...can't wait to try it soon (Old Bay, pressed garlic, lemon and honey- blend with fork and spread inside before stuffing...okay, that's it, I'm heading down to the freezer).
Old 10-08-2011, 07:51 PM

Default just tried it!!

Hi there!

I looked up this thread because I remembered it by thinking of "that thread which had the awesome looking duck recipe." Did it, and used prosciutto ham, mozza and spinach to stuff it.

EVERYONE in the house loved it!! totally worth the try!!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe108 View Post
Hi there!

I looked up this thread because I remembered it by thinking of "that thread which had the awesome looking duck recipe." Did it, and used prosciutto ham, mozza and spinach to stuff it.

EVERYONE in the house loved it!! totally worth the try!!
Glad you brought the thread back.

I'm just sitting down for a coffee break before cleaning some birds.

I will be trying this out, looks great!