Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 AM

Default I ordered a new custom made saddle

After a lot of years I finally pulled the trigger and ordered myself a new custom made Wade saddle. I have been thinking about this saddle for so long so I pretty much knew what I wanted, wade tree, full basket, brass hardware, dally horn etc. It will be on a Warren Wright tree and Reg Marek is the maker. I feel like a little kid at xmas time and cant wait to get my hands on it.

I want to add some hand engraved silver so if you know of anyone who you would recommend, please let me know.

My current saddle is an ole Eamor that I have had since 1982 or so. It does not fit my mules real well so it will be going up for sale as soon as I get the new one.

Lets see your custom saddles and I will post up some photos of the building process and the finished saddle when I can.

Dog_River

Last edited by Dog_River; 10-12-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: forgot something....
Old 10-12-2014, 10:07 AM

I've got a Chuck Storms that I haven't sat in for 20 yrs, it's my third custom. Ordered my first at 14 and paid for it with my horse tradin' money. Still own all three, a Lyons, a Miller and the Storms. Don't own/ride any horses anymore but still play with cows when I feel like workin' so I ain't quite ready to sell my saddles.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:25 AM

Post em up, Id love to see them !

Dog_River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I've got a Chuck Storms that I haven't sat in for 20 yrs, it's my third custom. Ordered my first at 14 and paid for it with my horse tradin' money. Still own all three, a Lyons, a Miller and the Storms. Don't own/ride any horses anymore but still play with cows when I feel like workin' so I ain't quite ready to sell my saddles.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Don't have any handy and my nieces are usin' a couple and a brother another. Nothin' special, corner oak leaf stamped on modified Bowman trees but made to fit. Enjoy your new saddle, ride a good custom and you'll never go back.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:16 AM

I haven't had horses for 12 years but, to Quote Ian Tyson's first biography, "I never sold my saddle."
Old 10-12-2014, 11:40 AM

http://. This is my first custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_River View Post
After a lot of years I finally pulled the trigger and ordered myself a new custom made Wade saddle. I have been thinking about this saddle for so long so I pretty much knew what I wanted, wade tree, full basket, brass hardware, dally horn etc. It will be on a Warren Wright tree and Reg Marek is the maker. I feel like a little kid at xmas time and cant wait to get my hands on it.

I want to add some hand engraved silver so if you know of anyone who you would recommend, please let me know.

My current saddle is an ole Eamor that I have had since 1982 or so. It does not fit my mules real well so it will be going up for sale as soon as I get the new one.

Lets see your custom saddles and I will post up some photos of the building process and the finished saddle when I can.

Dog_River

That's probably the best investment. I have two custom saddles. Both trees are built by rod nikkel from valley view. Wades 93 degrees bars. Shovel cantle. Both at built by my friend right here on the ranch. Hermann oak leather with mule hide horn wrap. My first one is plain but my second is rough out seat and fenders with exposed stirrup leathers and the rest is full carved with oak leaves. I'm surprised I don't have any pics on my phone. I'll have to upload a few. I love them both. They fit most of my string with the exception of some mutton withered nags. If I had 6 grand kicking around I'd get another built up. It's addictive.

Last edited by coy coyote; 10-12-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I own two Bennet saddles and have enjoyed them a lot. A good saddle is the difference between really enjoying a ride and actually working a horse and simply sitting on a horses back and then getting off sore and stiff.

Not sure I will ever ride one of them again but they will never leave my property.
Regards,
Dave.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Never ordered one myself but have bought two different custom builds from people out of cash, wore the first one out & half of the second. Custom ride all the difference at the end of the day. Congrats DR on taking the plunge.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Never ordered one myself but have bought two different custom builds from people out of cash, wore the first one out & half of the second. Custom ride all the difference at the end of the day. Congrats DR on taking the plunge.
Your a lucky guy if you ride enough to wear out a saddle.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:04 PM

Default Silver

For cantle plates and horn caps , check out McRae silver. One of the very best.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM

Here's my second one it's 4 months old http://http://http://
Old 10-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Coy,

if you could send me a close up of the horn of the first saddle you posted . That's one item we are trying to nail down. I want a post dally horn around 3 1/2" and 3 1/2" but I want a bit of a lip at the front so a guy can grab it if he has to. Nice saddles.

I'm looking at McCrae silver, looks like he does great work.

Thanks for the feedback guys

Dog_River
Old 10-12-2014, 03:19 PM

I just received my third custom made by McCall saddles out of Utah. I order em through western sky saddlery in carstairs. This is one is a wade built on a northwest tree. My previous two was a modified association and another wade on a northwest tree but has an inlaid seat. Comfiest saddle I ever sat in, and fits all my horses pretty darn good.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Coy,

if you could send me a close up of the horn of the first saddle you posted . That's one item we are trying to nail down. I want a post dally horn around 3 1/2" and 3 1/2" but I want a bit of a lip at the front so a guy can grab it if he has to. Nice saddles.

Dog_River
If your tree has already been built your saddle maker can wrap it so it's a post. But if no your tree maker can shape it to your specs. I can post a pic of my trees specs. I like mine cone shaped so my dallies run to the bottom
Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 PM

My tree has not been ordered yet, just waiting to finalize the horn, but the saddle is ordered and deposit down.

Dog_River
Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Coy,

Dog_River
Just be careful about too much lip on the front of the horn. Mine makes it tough to "pop" my dallies in a straight up motion. I often find I have to unwind my dally which is not ideal at all.
I really like the looks of Coys second saddle.

I'll be watching this thread cause I'd love a new custom.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:57 PM

I have the same problem went I pop my dallies straight up my rope catches on the rear lip.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:23 PM

help me out with some photos boys

Dog_River
Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
I have the same problem went I pop my dallies straight up my rope catches on the rear lip.
For this reason my next saddle will have very little lip on the horn cap. When using mule hide wraps it's important to be able to get loose quick when things get western.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:39 PM

Since we are doing the saddle talk, I'd recommend a 7/8 rigging with the stirrups hung more forward than most roping saddles and a pulling collar that straps directly to the tree fork.
Most roping saddles have the stirrups hung further back for standing while throwing ( like team roping ). But in a wade ranch saddle we are likely to ride more miles in a week than a team roper would in a year and the forward stirrups let you sit deep and stay comfortable for long days.
The in skirt rigging on Coys pics sure looks good.

Edit. This threads gonna cost me six grand I just know it.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:50 PM

Just a side note. Ask your saddle maker to get as much swing in your stirrups as he can. I like to be able to swing to middle of the shoulders. He can do that by the way he cuts your rigging so it doesn't restrict forward movement. . What is your ground seat going to be. Strainer plate or leather?
Old 10-13-2014, 07:45 AM

I was gifted a Less Ertman - the complements never stop it's not super fancy but wow does it ever sit well. He's just out side of Onoway AB.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 AM

This is exactly how I ordered my saddle.

Thanks, Dog_River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
Since we are doing the saddle talk, I'd recommend a 7/8 rigging with the stirrups hung more forward than most roping saddles and a pulling collar that straps directly to the tree fork.
Most roping saddles have the stirrups hung further back for standing while throwing ( like team roping ). But in a wade ranch saddle we are likely to ride more miles in a week than a team roper would in a year and the forward stirrups let you sit deep and stay comfortable for long days.
The in skirt rigging on Coys pics sure looks good.

Edit. This threads gonna cost me six grand I just know it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 AM

Reg really likes to put a lot of movement in the stirrup leathers and that's what I like as well, so this is another point that will incorporated and it will be a 7/8ths rigging. Another thing we paid a lot of attention to is closeness. I don't want a lot of bulky material so I cant feel my mule.

What do you mean by ground seat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Just a side note. Ask your saddle maker to get as much swing in your stirrups as he can. I like to be able to swing to middle of the shoulders. He can do that by the way he cuts your rigging so it doesn't restrict forward movement. . What is your ground seat going to be. Strainer plate or leather?

Last edited by Dog_River; 10-13-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 AM

I have several pieces of work done by McRae Silver. They do awesome work.
Would certainly recommend you checking them out.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 AM

It's the bridge between your bars where you sit. It's makes or breaks your comfort.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Leather................. and I am going with a inlaid seat. I'm not getting any younger and after I have heard some accounts where the pin bones in a guys back have actually made an impression in the inlaid seat.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:43 PM

I've got a Derek Pitts Wade and a low association also made by Derek. My dad has a Chuck Stormes saddle that was made by Derek as an apprentice. I've also had a Banzett RBH all around (wish I still had it), a "Will James" style and another Wade both made by Kenton Hubschmid (Ocean Front Saddlery). Kenton makes a decent saddle but both trees were too narrow for my style of horse. I've also got two saddles from Paul Saddlery out of Texas. One was custom ordered and the other was a used saddle, both working cow horse styles. They are good saddles for a decent price. I've rode in an Andy Knight custom Wade ( i think the tree was from Mawson Bros), it is a fantastic saddle. He would be my second choice behind Derek Pitts if I had to order a new saddle tomorrow. I don't think anyone in Canada, other than Chuck Stormes, can equal Derek's carving abilities. There are a bunch of good saddle makers around now and I think today's saddles are better than any ever built. Good tree builders are in short supply.

I would like to order a light weight Wade (lighter leather, skirt rigged) for the hills, but it's hard to justify spending $5000 to save 5 lbs.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-13-2014, 08:34 PM

I like Derek pitts's saddles. Friend of mine has one he's a good tree maker too. Most of mine weigh 45 pounds. I like mine built on two sides of heavy instead of one side heavy and one side light saddle skirting. That's taps, bells,two 60 foot ropes and a cantle bag. I weigh 165. The two guys that ride with me both have customs saddles with christmann trees at 35 pounds a saddle and they weigh 210. Lol. http:// here's a pic of the horn dog river
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 PM

Here is a saddle I ordered from the states. Long story and I had some issues with the company but I finally got it and works well for what I need it for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (39.5 KB, 211 views)