Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2014, 03:11 PM
chop chop is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: spruce grove ab
Posts: 129
Default ice reports

are there any ice reports for the small ponds west of Edmonton ?
i might go and check out a few tomorrow !
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2014, 04:44 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 2,559
Default

Seen a few kids skating on Lac Saint Ann today. Seen no open water.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 AM
Deer Deer is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 57
Default

Any ice on sylvan?
__________________
How is this username still available?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:57 AM
Lund rebel's Avatar
Lund rebel Lund rebel is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony plain
Posts: 467
Default

Don't look too hard or you'll find 3 men in a tent together at one of them
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-16-2014, 10:55 AM
impulse impulse is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 22
Default Keho

5" of good ice
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-2014, 12:15 PM
Janitor Pants Janitor Pants is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 269
Default

Checked out Chain Lakes (by Clive/Ponoka) this morning.

The lowest lake had 7" all the way across.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2014, 12:29 PM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,265
Default

How's the ice fishing at Chain, generally? Is it worth trying out some time this winter?
__________________
2014 Count: 292
2015 Count: 207
2016 Count: 206

2017 Count:

Rainbow Trout: 230
Brook trout: 5
Brown trout: 1
Burbot: 1
Walleye: 23
Pike: 3
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2014, 01:36 PM
TJG TJG is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 344
Default Apr. 1 to May 14 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer View Post
Any ice on sylvan?
Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the portion of lake southwest of a line drawn from the northwestern most tip of the landfill pier in Sylvan Lake Provincial Park located at NW 33-38-1-W5M due northwest to the point on the shoreline where the boundary between the town of Sylvan Lake and the Summer Village of Norglenwold meet the lake located at NE 32-38-1-W5M. Including all tributary streams.
Apr. 1 to June 30 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
the remainder of the lake
Apr. 1 to May 14 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – OPEN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2014, 02:08 PM
Fishslayer99's Avatar
Fishslayer99 Fishslayer99 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 757
Default

Out at Eagle lake near Strathmore right now, 5" of good ice. Fishing is very slow. One pike in 3 hours, hope it picks up!
__________________
I have been thinking of three things I would rather do than fishing...
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Talking moose's Avatar
Talking moose Talking moose is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Camrose
Posts: 7,327
Default

North end of coal has 5 - 7". Couple guys fishing.
South end has no access and gated off to public. A couple hoes are doing some work. People are also fishing dried meat lake.
Talking moose over and out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Janitor Pants Janitor Pants is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutter View Post
How's the ice fishing at Chain, generally? Is it worth trying out some time this winter?
Me and the boy always seem to have good luck there, but lots of people tell us there are no fish in that lake... Hasn't stopped us from pulling out lots of Jack.

The main issue with these lakes is the access. Depending on whether or not they are plowed out they can be pretty ignorant to get in and out of. Due to this fact the middle lake gate is often locked up because too many idiots with cars get stuck down there.

For us it isn't a big deal as we are only a few miles away, but if you are coming from further it would suck to get there and find out you couldn't get in.

Last year the snow was bad enough that we could only get in with the snowmobiles.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:49 PM
leeaspell's Avatar
leeaspell leeaspell is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Whitecourt
Posts: 6,879
Default

5-6" on Carson today.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Alberta Bigbore's Avatar
Alberta Bigbore Alberta Bigbore is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 16,664
Default

Where is that chart for ice thickness versus walking vs car vs truck etc ?
__________________
Alberta Bigbore



Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM
RavYak's Avatar
RavYak RavYak is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Edmonton
Posts: 4,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Where is that chart for ice thickness versus walking vs car vs truck etc ?
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

Already snowmobile thickness on most smaller lakes.

It would be nice if this cold weather would stick around for another couple weeks, then we could probably start driving on most lakes.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Alberta Bigbore's Avatar
Alberta Bigbore Alberta Bigbore is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 16,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

Already snowmobile thickness on most smaller lakes.

It would be nice if this cold weather would stick around for another couple weeks, then we could probably start driving on most lakes.
I hear ya. Dying to get the new truck out on the ice.
__________________
Alberta Bigbore



Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Kyle Kyle is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I hear ya. Dying to get the new truck out on the ice.
You need to rethink that sentence
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 PM
Talking moose's Avatar
Talking moose Talking moose is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Camrose
Posts: 7,327
Default

Just be careful people, quite a few lakes with natural springs in the parklands and boreal part of Alberta. Can be a foot thick in one spot and an inch 20 feet away. Devils and Battle lake come to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Alberta Bigbore's Avatar
Alberta Bigbore Alberta Bigbore is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 16,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
You need to rethink that sentence
I see it!!! LoL
__________________
Alberta Bigbore



Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Macdrizzle Macdrizzle is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 199
Default

McGregor still had open water on the north/south bank. Travers can be walked on near shore.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-17-2014, 09:27 AM
Dan Foss Dan Foss is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 369
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG View Post
Sylvan Lake & tributaries – Walleye limit 0; Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; Perch limit 5; Lake Whitefish limit 5; Burbot limit 2 (Burbot limit 0 - Feb. 1 to Mar. 31).
the portion of lake southwest of a line drawn from the northwestern most tip of the landfill pier in Sylvan Lake Provincial Park located at NW 33-38-1-W5M due northwest to the point on the shoreline where the boundary between the town of Sylvan Lake and the Summer Village of Norglenwold meet the lake located at NE 32-38-1-W5M. Including all tributary streams.
Apr. 1 to June 30 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
the remainder of the lake
Apr. 1 to May 14 and Nov. 1 to Dec. 10 – CLOSED
May 15 to Oct. 31 and Dec. 11 to Mar. 31 – OPEN
Thanks tips. He didn't ask for the regulations, he asked for ice conditions. Maybe he wants to know how the ice is developing. Maybing he has a secret lake in the area and rather than naming that lake, he asks about the lake that people likely see everyday. Maybe he drives his snow mobile across the lake to his buddies house to play poker on friday nights.

Thank you for contributing nothing
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-17-2014, 11:18 AM
silverdoctor's Avatar
silverdoctor silverdoctor is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 10,558
Default

Hard to believe how fast the hardwater season hit. Gearing up for the weekend
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-17-2014, 11:53 AM
GTZ's Avatar
GTZ GTZ is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 76
Default

This is a good general guideline
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.8 KB, 400 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-17-2014, 12:49 PM
cube cube is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,659
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Where is that chart for ice thickness versus walking vs car vs truck etc ?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=236015
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-17-2014, 05:26 PM
TJG TJG is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 344
Default

[QUOTE=Dan Foss:Thank you for contributing nothing[/QUOTE]

ditto. And if your not fishing, why ask for ice report?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
NCFlyfishin's Avatar
NCFlyfishin NCFlyfishin is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 240
Default

TJG, he told you why he might have asked for an ice report, the guy might also be wondering how the ice is forming so that he CAN go fishing LEGALLY when the season is OPEN!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Deer Deer is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJG View Post
ditto. And if your not fishing, why ask for ice report?
I like to fish and when it opens I want to fish Sylvan. There are also other open lakes in the area and if Sylvan is freezing over then I might get an idea of conditions in the area as sylvan is a good indicator of ice conditions in the area. Nobody needs your arrogant commentary. This is an ice report thread and not a question about regulations.
__________________
How is this username still available?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
slingshotz slingshotz is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,147
Default

MacGregor is solid clear ice 4-6 inches from shore out to about 30 feet at the north rock wall as of this afternoon. She's good to go!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM
RavYak's Avatar
RavYak RavYak is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Edmonton
Posts: 4,192
Default

Don't worry TJG, I got your back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
Thanks tips. He didn't ask for the regulations, he asked for ice conditions. Maybe he wants to know how the ice is developing. Maybing he has a secret lake in the area and rather than naming that lake, he asks about the lake that people likely see everyday. Maybe he drives his snow mobile across the lake to his buddies house to play poker on friday nights.

Thank you for contributing nothing
It was also possible that the question was asked because the guy was interested in going fishing... TJG at least provided an answer to one of these possibilities, I don't see you doing anything here other then breaking a forum rule...

"Please use common courtesy and respect to other message board users. Treat others in how you wish to be treated!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer View Post
I like to fish and when it opens I want to fish Sylvan. There are also other open lakes in the area and if Sylvan is freezing over then I might get an idea of conditions in the area as sylvan is a good indicator of ice conditions in the area. Nobody needs your arrogant commentary. This is an ice report thread and not a question about regulations.
Sorry he couldn't read your mind...

TJG, keep posting the good information up. Even if it wasn't Deer's original intent it is good you posted that for the other people that might not realize Sylvan is closed(for whatever reason it is...).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 PM
tonypower's Avatar
tonypower tonypower is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton ab
Posts: 459
Default

without trying to start a fight… anyone been to wabamun?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-17-2014, 07:15 PM
RavYak's Avatar
RavYak RavYak is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Edmonton
Posts: 4,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypower View Post
without trying to start a fight… anyone been to wabamun?
Saw/heard reports that moonlight bay is froze and that there is only a little bit of water left open on the main part of lake. Not sure of the exact thicknesses though.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.