Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-16-2008, 04:35 PM

Default The new ice shanty!

Well I finally completed it, and it has outdone my expectation for how rewarding it is. It cost just over five hundred bucks, and can accomodate 3 people fishing, with the wood stove.

The dimensions are 9.5ft long by 4ft wide by 6ft6in high. It is nice to be able to stand up fully while getting geared up to go back out in the cold, and to just stretch the legs a bit. Two people have ample room to stretch out and relax, with plenty of foot room.

We took it out to Crawling this past weekend when the outside temp was -35 without a windchill, and we were sitting inside in our first layer, with more than enough heat - very pleased with the performance of the woodstove I highly reccommend that if you are building one, throw a woodstove in there!

Some photo's of last weekend...

I bought the flashing from Rona, and the woodstove from Campers Village.

I tried to scavenge as much as I could for this project, here I used old branches as rod holders.

Put the firewood close at hand!

Mr. T with the smart move on the goggles, my eyelashes froze one of my eyes shut at one point!

Anyone want to meet up at McGregor or Crawling this weekend? I may go both days....

Thanks, TFG
Old 12-16-2008, 04:44 PM

No fish pictures !

Old 12-16-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
No fish pictures !

ya! you get skunked?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
No fish pictures !

Well fishing was steady.... steady slow....slow no fish. I snapped off on what I would imagine was a jack, as there was hardly any resistance when I set the hook, it just snapped clean.

Plus we were in a spot where there was no signs of other holes, my first time at crawling.... Any tips on where to go?? PLEASE!!
Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Gone Fishing

Thats an excellent looking shack....congrats.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Nice shack, it looks just like ours minus the wood heater, we use propane, I see u made it to Princess for the tarp? We ended up cutting small windows in the doors so we can keep an eye on our tip ups something you might want to consider.

Last edited by Dark; 12-16-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:25 PM

Hmm, thanks for the advice on the tarp Dark, it saved me a tonne of money. I am not a tip up guy, I like to fish in my shack next to the stove! When are ya going out next?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:28 PM

Hey congrats, turned out to be a beauty!

What did you use to spread the hardwalls on the ends apart? Did you put any insulation in the floor? How does she pull?

That canvass looks great, how was the light levels in there?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:37 PM

Fishermen,
Another thing we did was screw an old 3" wide ratchet strap around the door to keep the light out and the heat in kinda like weather stripping. We have other portable tents but we think this one is by far the most durable and comfortable.
PS I like your door better

Last edited by Dark; 12-16-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM

The tarp is dark enough to see down the holes no problem, and the sled pulls great with two people. The shack has no insulation, does not need it in my opinion... I may not have even needed to use so much flashing, but I figure better to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for the tips ABD, they were great in helping me brainstorm. The walls are suprisingly very sturdy with the canvas, I used 1' EMT conduit as a ridgepole to hold the walls apart, nice and light and can be bent into place if the tarp is cold and contracted.

When are you going to be done your's?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 PM

First class looking rig!! Two thumbs up.
Dodger.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:24 PM

I've been doing more research, figuring out my budget and stuff as well. You've got me jealous fer sure!

Did you make your floor in one solid piece, or does it fold up as well?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to make mine about 4'x10', thinking if I make the floor in two pieces I can still get it in the back of my truck box.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 PM

Wow that is a real cool ice fishing shack, i wish i had the time to make one.
Toughness
Intelligence
New experiences
Guts
Old 12-16-2008, 06:48 PM

Nice and big .
Mine is almost like that but smaller and I use a mister hearter top tank to keep it warm.
I installed a door now on both ends ,makes it easer when only one guy needs to get out.
For a seat ,I place a piece of plywood about 18inch wide x 6 foot long across 2 pails .on top of the plywood is styrfoam
And some skies to pull it around

Last edited by -JR-; 12-16-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Nice job.

500 bucks seems like a fair bit of coin. Did that include the stove? What did you find to be your biggest expense? Do you have any plans to share?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 PM

Thanks for the compliments fellas, it was a lot of fun to think and plan out. I learned a lot from the posts here, and from advice of board members here on the forum. Hey if it were'nt for Dark, I would've spent at least a hundred more bucks on supplies, thanks again for the good advice Dark.

As far as price, not including my labour it was about 510 bucks total including everything: Stove, pipe, lumber, sled, pretreated ply, hardware, canvas, rope and EMT. Luckily I have a shop that I can use on my free time, during all this cold I would never have gotten it done as fast as I have. Thank you work for the keys to the shop and tools!

As far as plans, I found them on here, I used the suggestions from Alberta Diver and the plans he dug up, to build the shack to my needs. Thanks to Alberta BigBore for the help as well, you guys have been a great help.

I looked at a few different options; Ice Cube, and the Eskimo tents. For a tent that seats 4 snugly I was looking at just under a thousand bucks for a tent that folds out of a sled. Then I still have to heat it, without a woodstove I might add. The woodstove is the best!! Talk about awesome! I can cook my catch right there in the shack! Fresh coffee - NOW!

The floor is solid, and it does not fold up. The only thing that I would do differently now that it is done, I would not use 3/4 inch ply for the walls. It adds unneccessary weight, and in the cold, weight is not friendly. I would use 3/8 ply, which would save considerable weight and money.

With all that being said, I am more than happy with it! I hope to get a lot of use out of it this winter! WHERE'S THE BURBOT!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 AM

I lust your shack , that things a beauty , well done.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:04 AM

Hey ditcher, call me about this weekend
Old 12-17-2008, 02:03 AM

Default Nice Job...

Nice Job... on the hut/shack...

Nothing like getting out on the ice in a warm place where you can relax.

I'm with you on the tip ups, once I'm in the hut I stay put. My buddy Pecker sets up some tip ups but he is young and agile so he doesn't mind running after them.

Have a great season and enjoy your new hut..

By the way how thick was the ice where you were???

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 AM

Very nice setup, Good luck
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM

Default Shack

Nice job. You will enjoy being warm & dry. Maybe will see you at CV one of these days when the ice is thick enough to drive on. Ours is portable but we tow it on a small utility trailer. Now you just need to outfit it with toys. We started with basic like yourself and anyone who has met me on the lake will tell you it gets better from here. Heat, light, fish tv, small radio. It is the life, enjoy........
Old 12-17-2008, 11:03 AM

I'm headed to princess auto on my lunch break to buy canvas and fasteners and hinges. Wood at Rona later this evening. Getting excited about this project.

I'm working on the materials list as we speak. Also trying to figure out how I'm going to do my sled, as I don't have access to a pipe bender. Probably also be using this for winter camping, although 4' is pretty narrow. Too bad plywood didn't come in 5x8 sheets

I'm going to have four access hatches hinged for the holes, and a small slot in the floor for my propane hose to my big buddy heater. Also going to use two overhead expanding poles to use as coat hangers and a hanger for my radio etc. One as a top pole, and another one on the side. I might just use three poles, but we'll see. As my floor is going to be split in two pieces like this one ( http://home.cogeco.ca/~charrons/Default.htm ) I'm trying to figure a way to keep the bottom of the tarp fastened to the floor, and then be disconnected when I'm folding it up.

I like the challange of figuring this out. I don't even do a lot of ice fishing! But I've wanted to build one of these since I was a kid!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Well, I'm in for $183.83 before tax now. Grabbed the last canvas tarp big enough for me at princess, along with a few other things. Looks like it's the same as The Fisherman Guy's. Guess I'm committed to completing this project now...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM

thats a very kick ass unit you built. Nice Job! Looks warm
Old 12-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Nice shack, you got to love the "unique" world of princess auto for all the random crap a guy needs for a project like that!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Default game faced.

You know those times when something takes you by suprise, and you have to make sure you stay confident and not fear abrupt change, but roll with it and come through looking smooth?

I pulled this 21inch bow from the second round with the ice shanty this weekend, he was cold and sluggish in the fight, and when I got him inside the shack he did not squirm much. I was planning on releasing him after a quick photo, but as the red light came on from the camera, after staying still for a good 30 seconds, he torqued out of my hand and landed in Mr. T's chair!

At least I look in control of the situation.

We ended up with a nice trout dinner instead of releasing him after he hit the floor. Turned out very nicely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg game face.JPG (40.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg fish dinner.JPG (42.8 KB, 170 views)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Very nice shack, I built one thats basically the same as yours, only difference is yours is a touch bigger. I got lucky with mine though, I was able to scrounge up all the wood needed around my place, so it only cost me about $40-$50. I have to agree with the wood stove, they are the cats ass, and being able to cook a nice hot meal sure makes those cold days more bearable.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Hey Fisherman

You take the 21" bow out of CV?

Nice fish!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Hey Fisherman

You take the 21" bow out of CV?

Nice fish!!!!!!!!!
Hey Mark,

I did not pull that bow out of CV, I have ahad a few people ask me where it is from....Alas I cannot tell, strict orders from Mr T to not tell anyone where it is, it being too close to Calgary. Shocked me when I got the FishTV down there how many bigger fish there were, I had only previously caught little ones outta that lake. The fish TV definatly helps set the hook at the right time.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Default CV

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Well fishing was steady.... steady slow....slow no fish. I snapped off on what I would imagine was a jack, as there was hardly any resistance when I set the hook, it just snapped clean.

Plus we were in a spot where there was no signs of other holes, my first time at crawling.... Any tips on where to go?? PLEASE!!

I have only fished CV in the open water, but we had pretty luck off the points and around the islands on the east side just before where the lake starts to swing to the west.