Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Shooting Aid Review!!

Shooting Aid Review

Many shooters, both seasoned and new to the sport don’t have access to an archery coach or instructor to perfect their shooting.

Thing is there a couple of common issues that really effect most shooters, related right from bow torque/grip to follow thru after the shot…more important than most think...

Here are a couple of aids that we have used that are very valuable in info or shooting form and won’t break the bank to purchase.

The first is the BOW COACH

The Bow Coach is a unique training aid that detects movement of the bow as the shot is
being made and displays it graphically, giving you instant feedback after every shot.

Training with the Bow Coach can/will help you develop a consistent shot follow through and ultimately make you a better shooter!

• Develops Proper Muscle Memory
• Detects forward/backward limb movement during the shot.
• Detects torque of the bow hand during the shot.
• Provides Instant Feedback on EVERY shot!
• Improves follow thru
• Corrects bow lean

It’s an electronic sensor that attaches firmly to your bow, it will screw into bows riser or more common the quiver mount screw insert on the majority of sight bars…so with some the quiver or quiver mount will have to be removed for testing, simple enough.

The bow coach taught me a few things, the biggest was bow cant…power hunting elk all my life I found many times I never had time to a level to shoot, so I learned my form to shoot without.

Also with many other shooters slapping a sight on a bow with a level doesn’t mean your bow is level…the level has to be levelled with the bow…some need 1st 2nd or 3rd axis to achieve this…other sights may have to be shimmed…the Bow Coach will tell you if your sight is level…

I found with a short ATA bow that I was canting slightly to the left…which at long distance can make arrow POI [point of impact] low and right…the bow coach will tell you to level bow, which felt like I was now canting my bow right…but POI out past 50 yards proved I was level.

For many the Bow Coach shows one of shooters biggest issues grip and bow torque…and that so many have no follow thru and in fact at shot bow is dropping.

The PRO setting will give even the best shooters something to work on…

http://www.bowcoach.com/
http://www.buckeyecam.com/main/Files/bowcoach.pdf

The second is the TRUE SHOT COACH

The True Shot Coach eliminates the biggest issue of new and even long time shooters, bow grip torque…

The True Shot Coach is a simple tool to assist in breaking bad grip habits and teaching great form…

The True Shot Coach forces you to use a relaxed grip instantly.

Being an old dog it felt uncomfortable to me as I like my fingers relaxed and pointing slightly more downward near riser and two bottom fingers even resting gently on riser face, but is same grip form.

They have models for coaching and even full time shooting and hunting models, personally I use them just to instruct newer shooters who tend to white knuckle bows.

If a new shooter utilized one of these for the first couple of weeks until settled into form, it would assist greatly, they could then remove and I believe continue to shoot correctly.

http://dontchokearchery.com/true-shot-coach/

Great and inexpensive for a club or even your own shooting circles chipping in a couple bucks each.

Neil
Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Neil, do you sell those true sot coaches? I always thought they look like they'd be a big help in developing a torque free grip?
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 AM

thanks for posting thinking I'm going to have to get both
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff