Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Fortress Lake

Hello,

Me and a few friends are interested in hiking into Fortress Lake this summer. Could anyone possibly provide some info on things such as...

-Where the trail is to hike to the lake
-What is the best time to hike to this lake (is mid to late July doable?)
-Is the river crossings on the trail to the lake passable? is there still a bridge over them or has it been washed out?
-How long is the hike?
-Can you do well fly fishing from the shore only?

Not looking for any secrets or honey holes. Any info regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:53 PM

I'm assuming that you're talking about [I]the[I] Fortress Lake in Hamber Provincial Park in BC, and unfortunately you are out of luck. The bridge over the Athabasca did indeed collapse last fall and is unlikely to be repaired this year. You could try fording the Athabasca, but unlike the ford of the Chaba river (which you must cross as well) it would be a pretty dangerous at most times of the year. Definitely not recommended. You can probably answer most of your questions here.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/index.aspx

Make sure you are well prepared. It was about a 25km trek in before the bridge was out, but you could easily mountain bike the first part. Nonetheless, it's not exactly a good place for the inexperienced or the ill-informed.

If you've got lots of cash, you could catch a float plane charter and stay at Dave Jensen's lodge.

Happy Trails,

HK

Last edited by Heavy K; 05-13-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Oh? Is it in BC? Im confused...I heard there was two Fortress Lakes..one in Alberta and one in BC...im talking about the one that has the lodge that Dave Jensen owns...does the trail start in Alberta and then the actual lake is in BC?

I contacted Dave already and the bridge is indeed gone over the Athabasca and won't be replaced this year. Would mid to end of July be a bad time for trying to cross the Athabasca? or would run off be too high?
Old 05-13-2015, 03:35 PM
Banned

Yes Fortess that the Jensens run, trail starts in Jasper area and the lake is actually in BC.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
Yes Fortess that the Jensens run, trail starts in Jasper area and the lake is actually in BC.
The place was up for sale. Are the Jensen's current owner's?

What's the story.

Please note: There are a huge number of Fortress Lake (Jasper) posts in the AO archives.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:10 PM

July is to late to fish it if you are on your own. You will have to hike in a belly boat as well.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
July is to late to fish it if you are on your own. You will have to hike in a belly boat as well.

Nick:

Are you teaching yet?
Old 05-13-2015, 05:13 PM

To late? ;P

Is mid to end of July a good time? the ice would be gone eh?

Is shore fishing any good? or is a belly boat a better option?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM

Right about now is when you have to plan to go there is very limited shore fishing. Check out this link out, http://www.flyfishingthebow.com/Othergreatplaces.htm
Old 05-13-2015, 08:27 PM

fishing can be good anytime of the year at the east end where people who hike in generally camp. however the larger fish due tend to migrate west as the season progresses but don't let that detour you from hiking in there are some trails that can take you almost 1/4 of the way down the lake along the north side to the old ranger cabin. the creek that flows in here provides good fishing along with the stretch just outside of the east bay. fish can be found all along the north side throughout the year and there are two or three spots to set up camp in the open. don't bother with the south side as theres nowhere to set up camp between the east bay and the retreat.

Jensens no longer operate Fortress as well.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:56 PM

I've biked to the Athabasca, and hiked the rest of the way. I was fine but a couple of my buddies had a really hard time, it's a tough hike. This was a few years ago and there's no chance I'd go there if the bridge over the Athabasca is gone. The Chuba is tough to cross too. We rented boats from the outfitter there ( no sure who the owners are) but they were very rude to us, don't think they like people fishing there that are not going through them, we got an old boat with weathered ores. If you do go... And you don't have boat, camp at washout creek, you can fish from the shore there, but that's a lot of work to fish a very very small part of the lake. Worth it if your going for the hiking, not the fishing.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
Hello,

Me and a few friends are interested in hiking into Fortress Lake this summer. Could anyone possibly provide some info on things such as...

-Where the trail is to hike to the lake
-What is the best time to hike to this lake (is mid to late July doable?)
-Is the river crossings on the trail to the lake passable? is there still a bridge over them or has it been washed out?
-How long is the hike?
-Can you do well fly fishing from the shore only?

Not looking for any secrets or honey holes. Any info regarding these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
1. The 25 km trail starts at Sunwapta Falls in Jasper National Park. The lake is in BC.
2. July would be the worst time to do the river crossings because of run off from the snow melt. Late May or early June and late August to September would provide shallower river crossings and clearer water; usually.
3. The suspension bridge over the Athabasca River is gone, and may never be replaced. I have crossed the river downstream from the bridge many times, but never at high water flow. You have to find a safe place to ford the river, and those locations can change from year to year.
4. It is possible to mountain bike the first 15 km of the trail to the washed out bridge, but biking with a full pack has it's own concerns.
5. Fishing from a boat is ideal, but you could catch fish from shore, and as mentioned earlier, Washout creek in the middle of the lake on the north side would be a good spot. I think the hiking trail may go to Washout Creek now, but don't quote me on that. There used to be a boat stashed there, but rumour has it the Lodge staff have removed it. We have rented boats from the Lodge, several owners ago, but they always made it clear that they really didn't wan't any non-guest on "their" lake.
6. I would think chironomids would be quite effective from shore.
7. Most likely the best brook trout fishing in western Canada! If money is not a concern, fly in and stay at the lodge!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
1. The 25 km trail starts at Sunwapta Falls in Jasper National Park. The lake is in BC.
2. July would be the worst time to do the river crossings because of run off from the snow melt. Late May or early June and late August to September would provide shallower river crossings and clearer water; usually.
3. The suspension bridge over the Athabasca River is gone, and may never be replaced. I have crossed the river downstream from the bridge many times, but never at high water flow. You have to find a safe place to ford the river, and those locations can change from year to year.
4. It is possible to mountain bike the first 15 km of the trail to the washed out bridge, but biking with a full pack has it's own concerns.
5. Fishing from a boat is ideal, but you could catch fish from shore, and as mentioned earlier, Washout creek in the middle of the lake on the north side would be a good spot. I think the hiking trail may go to Washout Creek now, but don't quote me on that. There used to be a boat stashed there, but rumour has it the Lodge staff have removed it. We have rented boats from the Lodge, several owners ago, but they always made it clear that they really didn't wan't any non-guest on "their" lake.
6. I would think chironomids would be quite effective from shore.
7. Most likely the best brook trout fishing in western Canada! If money is not a concern, fly in and stay at the lodge!
Thank you for the responses! they help immensely. Regarding crossing the river..due to the relatively low runoff this year and dry temps would the river be somewhat lower compared to previous years with normal runoff?

Also regarding boating on the lake...so if I took a belly boat in the lodge owners would have a problem? I understand they want only guests of their lodge to be fishing there but is this something they can enforce? like say "get out of here lodge guests only" ?
Old 05-14-2015, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=

.so if I took a belly boat in the lodge owners would have a problem? I understand they want only guests of their lodge to be fishing there but is this something they can enforce? like say "get out of here lodge guests only" ?[/QUOTE]

It's not the 'lodge's' lake, it's a public lake. You can bring in a boat, belly or otherwise. I think what others were hinting at is, if you camp at one of the campgrounds and rent one of the lodge's boats it is and/or was frowned upon as you got all the benefits of fishing the lake, without having to pay the price of staying at the lodge.

I've stayed at the lodge and would recommend it. Nothing like a hot shower and warm bed after a long day of fishing. The flight in/out is awesome as well. Fording 1 river 20+ kms in is one thing, but now having to ford 2 rivers,
Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM

The lodge is still for sale ! I have inquired and have all the details.
Dave and the others who run the lodge are great people and they understand that some peoiple just like to do there own thing and hikein..when you could.. They are more than will do help out anyone and in fact they look after the campsites as well as part of the contract.
Like Pierre said ..The fly in option is the best right now and they are back to using choppers.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the responses! they help immensely. Regarding crossing the river..due to the relatively low runoff this year and dry temps would the river be somewhat lower compared to previous years with normal runoff?
Don't count on the run-off being any lower than normal this year. The snowpack in the alpine (which is what gives you those big July flows) in that area is fairly seasonal this year.

Judging by the questions you've been asking on here, I suspect you probably don't have enough experience to tackle the trip in there right now. I'd recommend an easier undertaking to get your feet under you so to speak, or perhaps flying into the Lodge. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it would be silly to end up injured or worse, or for a companion to be injured or worse, while trying to get in there.

To put it in perspective, you'll be fording the Athabasca a handful of kilometers downstream from where it exits glacial Lake Columbia, into which the Columbia Icefield drops, and in which large ice bergs float, year round. If you or one of your companions is swept away, there is a very real possibility you or they might not make it out. This is especially true at higher water, or even at lower flows if you misjudge your crossing.

Play safe and don't become a statistic.

HK
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 PM

My thoughts exactly Heavy K. The river has been my main concern...not exactly keen on fording a ice cold raging river with 65 pounds on my back.

Thanks for the info everyone. Cheers
Old 05-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
The lodge is still for sale ! I have inquired and have all the details.
Dave and the others who run the lodge are great people and they understand that some peoiple just like to do there own thing and hikein..when you could.. They are more than will do help out anyone and in fact they look after the campsites as well as part of the contract.
Like Pierre said ..The fly in option is the best right now and they are back to using choppers.
Thank you Mcleod.

I would suggest that the above posters go the AO archives, and look at posts of who has gone in there over the years.

In the late 70's and early 80's people used to go into Fortress on bikes. This was prior to the mountain bike craze.

One suggestion: Know how to look after yourself in the bush.

No bridge across the AthaB.?

Last edited by greylynx; 05-14-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:04 AM

This site will show you the trail to Fortress. Go to trails in jasper area and it will show you.

http://www.trailpeak.com/index.jsp?cat=def
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM

Guided there for a summer and have biked and hiked and helicopter and floated plane in so all methods will get you in there.

The hike took about 3.5 hours granted I packed a lot less gear in then someone whose not staying at the lodge. To bike you are looking at around 3 hours the trail is not difficult with only a few tougher spots keep in mind you are in GRIZZLY country and the trail can be tight and overgrown so take the necessary precautions and defiantly travel in groups if possible. But the walk/bike itself it's by no means terrible.

The Chaba is a channeled river and typically you won't have to cross in sections much deeper then your knees if you pick your spots correctly. As for the athabasca I haven't gone in since bridge went out so I can't speak for that.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:

Also regarding boating on the lake...so if I took a belly boat in the lodge owners would have a problem? I understand they want only guests of their lodge to be fishing there but is this something they can enforce? like say "get out of here lodge guests only" ?
I'm not so sure that it would be a low runoff year, we had above average snow pack at the ski hill here in Jasper. The river can be crossed at any time, just depends on the size of your balls!
I have not been there since the current owners have operated the lodge, so can't speak for them. All of my dealings were with Mike, one of the previous owners.
However, they cannot prevent you from fishing or boating. Actually, as someone mentioned, I think the lease comes with the contract to maintain the hiking trails and campsites.
If I could afford to, I'd be flying in there tomorrow to stay at the lodge and fish those monster brookies. The ice is probably just coming off the lake now!
Old 05-15-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Guided there for a summer and have biked and hiked and helicopter and floated plane in so all methods will get you in there.

The hike took about 3.5 hours granted I packed a lot less gear in then someone whose not staying at the lodge. To bike you are looking at around 3 hours the trail is not difficult with only a few tougher spots keep in mind you are in GRIZZLY country and the trail can be tight and overgrown so take the necessary precautions and defiantly travel in groups if possible. But the walk/bike itself it's by no means terrible.

The Chaba is a channeled river and typically you won't have to cross in sections much deeper then your knees if you pick your spots correctly. As for the athabasca I haven't gone in since bridge went out so I can't speak for that.
How long (distance across the rivers) of a crossing is it to cross the Athab and Chaba rivers?!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM

Looking at a map, Im thinking I might cross the Athabasca earlier along the trail. That way I can avoid having to cross the Chaba. Guess we'll see how it goes.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwelds191 View Post
How long (distance across the rivers) of a crossing is it to cross the Athab and Chaba rivers?!
Depends on how high they are. Looking at pics it seems to vary wildly.

These two pics show the Athabasca crossing when its high and when its low.

Suspension-Bridge5.jpg

jasper_pano3a.jpg
Old 05-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Default Another Option,

I also heard TroutFitters (Calgary) organizes a Fortress Lake trip - hike in with a group/guide and stay at the lodge and use their boats. Not sure if this trip is still happening, but it would be cheaper than fly-in but still get the lodge experience...
Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

Hiked in there a few times, early June, minimal flow on the Athabasca and there were a few decent holes/sweepers so just be sure if you do go and find a good place to cross scout downstream a good 500ft. If you fall in and that river carry's you downstream you must know what is there and what eddy's to swim into or obstructions you can hide behind. If there are a few of you please go buy a throw rope for rescue purposes.

On the other hand, the fishing is awesome! I used olive streamers with a sinking line around the log jams and such in the cove by the campsite (hiked in my belly boat). Enjoy.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:19 PM

Hey all,

I can't find the regs for this lake anywhere...checked BC regs and Alberta Regs and even typed up Hamber Provincial park fishing regs but found nothing concerning this lake. Anyone know?

Also where can I get a BC sport fishing licence? Is there somewhere in Alberta where I can obtain one or a place close by along the route to Fortress? Not too keen on having to drive way out of the way to some place in BC to obtain one...
Old 06-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

I can't find the regs for this lake anywhere...checked BC regs and Alberta Regs and even typed up Hamber Provincial park fishing regs but found nothing concerning this lake. Anyone know?

Also where can I get a BC sport fishing licence? Is there somewhere in Alberta where I can obtain one or a place close by along the route to Fortress? Not too keen on having to drive way out of the way to some place in BC to obtain one...
purchase your license online before you go,then print it off