Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Default Chin Lake Questions

Has anyone ever fished Chin lake? i drove over it last weekend not even knowing it was there and went on google earth to find out what lake it was. i did some research i found out that there is Pike and walleye in the lake and was wondering if anyone has every caught anything there? I think i may try to get out and ice fish there.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM
jrs

The wind can be crazy, and the fishing slow but theres some good spots. I spent lots of time on there during the summer growing up. I'd say there's a few record size pike in there somewhere, walleye that would come close, and whitefish that average 2-3 lbs and get up to 8 or 9 lbs. I knew a guy that would keep a limit of pike over 20 lbs each every spring right when it opened up. That was a few years ago but theres still lots of whitefish to feed them so not sure why it would be any different.

Assuming you mean Chin reservoir? Personally, i prefer almost every other lake in the area as i always had more luck and managed bigger fish.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Default Chin Reservoir

In my opinion is one of the best lakes for pike and walleye in southern Alta.. It takes patience and lots of moving because the big pike are very territorial and if you dont get a strike in 1/2 hr its time to move and drill some more holes. The walleye are the same if you find them they are easy to catch but its a large lake and no doubt they have there comfort zone. I have caught a lot of whitefish while not actually fishing for them but they are about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. They seem to be making a recovery after commercial fishing and big predator fish. Last winter we caught several over 10 lbs to the largest of 17 lbs.[pike] some whitefish but no walleye. Its a large and complex lake. my 2 bits worth anyways. Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Default Chin

Wow- Chin is my all time favorite for fishing. When I moved from Manitoba in the late 70's I thought I went to mars when I could not find good Walleye & Pike fishing here. Ran into a fellow that turned out to be a fishing buddy and worked for F&W as a biologist. Turns out they in the early days used to net fish and take the eggs etc. and use them for stocking all the Alta. lakes from here. From what I am told it was a well kept secret. I have since been fishing it for years since and still believe it is the premiere lake of the province. There are monster pike and huge walleye as well. I have heard from the F&W lateley thinking that the next record Pike and Walleye may come from here. I would not be surprised. If you get to know the lake as I have you can catch 15-20 lb pike like it is an every day event. I have heard and seen myself several in the 20-30 lbs. Divers have told me they have been almost scared off by some in this lake. We have had many, many 8-12 lb. Walleye as well. Spend some time and learn the lake and it is the place without a doubt. It is one of the best places I know. For us the long drive from Calgary is the only holdback. We still manage several weekends a year and even a bunch of us rent the group camp for a bit of a friends derby.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:55 PM

Chin is an awesome place for Pike. We use to go to a place we dubbed 'BS Bay'(for obvious reasons) on the south side of the lake. Right on about the wind though - sometimes it's horrendous. Have always had great luck there.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:40 PM

Just came back from ice fishing there and caught some good pike and there are also ling in shin
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 PM

where is chin lake?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
where is chin lake?
hiway 36 just south of Taber. no fish in there tho

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-19-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

Head east from water station and fish the structure off of the coulees.

My buddy was shown on Lethbridge TV with an 11 1/2 pound walleye he captured in those areas.

Somewhere is a picture of me with a 25 pound pike. She was thrown back.

And elsewhere, are pictures of us eating ling from Chin at this time of year.

The ling are really good out the cold water in Chin.

Last edited by greylynx; 02-19-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Never fished in the winter but love to fish it in the spring. Great fishing spot
Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 AM

Default More questions about Chin lakes

We are going tomorrow to Southern Alberta with a friend of mine. On way back we plan to stop on Chin lakes and to try our luck from the shore.
What would be the best place to park in there? On the camping spot and then to walk to the east on the shore? Or is it better to try an East dam?
I tried to look at the satellite view, it seems there are some approach to the shore on the gravel roads.
I'd appreciate any advises.
We 'll try dead bait and casting the spoons.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:31 PM

under bridge.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:48 PM

Default chin

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
under bridge.
x2
Old 06-12-2014, 12:46 AM

Thanks everybody for the suggestion.
We tried to find the way to the East dam on the lakes, but could not get to it. Got back under the bridge and I got couple of beautiful walleyes - 33 and 48 cm. It was exciting, first walleyes I ever caught. Some more of biting, but the minnows got softer and went off the hook easier. Got fish released.
A friend of mine got skunked, as she tried a bobber and worms, her favorite technique, did not work this time.
Should come next time with a boat, seems like a nice place.