Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-14-2015, 02:22 PM

Default African Hunting Events are under Attack by the Antis!

http://africanhuntingevents.ca/

African Hunting Events has hosted show in Calgary, Toronto and Saskatoon for several years.

It is a great way to gather information for a possible African adventure. I highly recommend the events.

Change.org has had petitions against the shows in Toronto and Saskatoon. So far the petitions have caused the host hotels in Toronto and Saskatoon to cancel hosting the events.

To keep up to date on these matters, follow the Calgary SCI Facebook page, or www.Africahunting.com.

Please support these shows when they come to location near you.

Any ideas on how to legally and ethically combat the antis, post them up.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 PM

Default Africa Hunting Events

From SCI:

We Need Your Help

This week two hotels have made decisions to back out of a contract with the African sporting events show, the first was to be held in Toronto at the Holiday Inn Toronto International airport location January 15/16. The second location is the Saskatoon Inn which was to be held in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Jan 23/24. This is a direct attack on hunting launched by the Animal Justice group and we believe it will only get worse before it gets better. This year the SCI Calgary chapter decided to move its planned fundraiser from the Calgary zoo because of protest and pressure from the anti-Hunting community.
That is why we are asking you to send emails, letters etc. asking these hotels not to succumb to the unfounded pressures of the anti-hunting community. We would ask that If they are not willing to rescind these decisions then you will have no choice but to no longer support the hotels and their affiliates. Below is the contact emails and addresses for the hotels and their affiliates.

Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport a part of IHG
970 Dixon Rd.
Toronto Ont.
M9W 1J9
www.holidayinn.com/yyz.intlapt
sylvain.gauthier@yyzia.com
lori.hughes@yyzia.com

Eastons Group of Hotels Management group for Holiday Inn
Gateway Centre
3100 Steeles Avenue East, Suite 601
Markham, Ontario L3R 8T3
eastons@eastonsgroup.com
905-940-9409

Intercontinental Hotels Group
P.O Box 30321
Salt Lake City Utah
84130-0321 800-621-0555
800-621-0555

Saskatoon Inn
2002 Airport Drive,
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7L 6M4, CA
www.saskatooninn.com
844-296-3620

Atlific Hotels
www.atlific.com Management group for Saskatoon Inn
416-674-3313 Christine Brandon cbrandon@atlific.com National Sales Manager
416-674-7955 Galit Ben-Ary GBenary@Atlific.com Director of Marketing
Old 12-14-2015, 11:34 PM

It was bad before.
The whole Cecil fiasco made it much much worse.

People need to shut their mouths and mind their own darn business.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:43 AM

It's funny how the Sci and dsc and other hunting groups are calling in support over the African hunting.when they all sure didn't hesitate to throw the dentist under the bus with no support over the dam cecil thing before ever getting any proof of illegal actions....
Old 12-15-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
It's funny how the Sci and dsc and other hunting groups are calling in support over the African hunting.when they all sure didn't hesitate to throw the dentist under the bus with no support over the dam cecil thing before ever getting any proof of illegal actions....
VERY TRUE!!! ^^^^^ SCI-"first for hunters"? Or first for hunter dollars?
Has the SCI ever made a statement about their huge mistake?
Old 12-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Hope we get a voice to stop the anti's, we have to stick together on stuff like this.

Elmer
Old 12-15-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerdeer View Post
Hope we get a voice to stop the anti's, we have to stick together on stuff like this.

Elmer
I absolutely agree. But I just don't think my support is going towards them.sorry.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I absolutely agree. But I just don't think my support is going towards them.sorry.
Then who is it going to?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 AM

I sent an email to all parties involved, not because I necessarily support SCI, but because I support hunting.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Then who is it going to?
I don't know maybe ducks unlimited. ?
Old 12-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I sent an email to all parties involved, not because I necessarily support SCI, but because I support hunting.
well said, SCI may be leading the charge on this but it is in everyone's best interest to stick together. Its Africa today, and hunting at home tomorrow. These Libtards have a ridiculous amount of pull because they outnumber hunters at least 10 -1
Old 12-15-2015, 10:57 AM

Actually the Sask Wildlife Federation is leading the charge. They have been in touch with management and are meeting with them. In 2013 the inn is where their annual convention was held and they have used this place for meeting rooms on a regular basis. They are on record indicating that their business will go else wear. SWF is asking all clubs and hunters to get involved as this is an attack on the hunting industry.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:21 AM

Default Backing out

I wonder if an agreement was already signed? It's not cool to back out of a contract
Old 12-15-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
well said, SCI may be leading the charge on this but it is in everyone's best interest to stick together. Its Africa today, and hunting at home tomorrow. These Libtards have a ridiculous amount of pull because they outnumber hunters at least 10 -1
Is is in everyone's best interest to stick together.
I'm not sure that the antis outnumber us they are just very vocal and emotional. It makes their numbers seem to be more and their cause seem desperate.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM

I took 10 minutes and e-mailed everyone on the list that V provided. thanks Vanessa.

It really doesn't take that long and maybe, just maybe they may get a small clue as to what ramifications this could have. There was what, 3300 signatures on that silly petition? If we all get together and email maybe they will figure this out.

Cut and paste folks. It's easy. Flood the inboxes. Make a quick tweak if you want and send it off.

Hello,

I have been to Africa twice and will be going again. I have been to the African Hunting Expo in Calgary. It is a top notch organization with very nice down to earth people who are trying to make a living. They are spending a lot of money to hope to pick up some business in this horrible economy of ours. They are family oriented and some of the best folks you could ever meet. You have basically just kicked them in the teeth. They have spent a lot of money and went out of their way to apply for visas to come to our great country and you just cost them a lot of money for nothing. Over what? An online petition? You must be joking.

I need you to know the ramifications of snubbing a very large group of people. We are very upset with your decision to chicken out and cancel an event due to what really amounts to cyber bullying.

I will not, ever, stay at your establishment. I am very good friends with a few different hunting and fishing outfitters in that area. They will not be staying in your hotel either. My extended family will not be staying in your establishment again. I will also do everything in my power to ensure that none of my friends, or their friends will be staying at your establishment either. I will do absolutely everything I can to ensure that you lose as much business as possible. Brace your selves. This isn’t going away.

Just to sum this up for you, my outfitting friends and I likely book around 100 rooms per year. This is likely on the low end but I don’t want to exaggerate numbers.

Do you really think this has been a good decision for business? If someone hasn’t lost their job over this, there is something truly wrong in this world.

I welcome you to reply and try and explain your situation and reasoning.

I look forward to your response,
Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 PM

I copied and pasted that^. Changed it up and sent it.
Thanks cow town guy for the solid base.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
I copied and pasted that^. Changed it up and sent it.
Thanks cow town guy for the solid base.
WOW! I'm impressed. A response already.

Good day Mr. Payne,

Please don't think your email have fallen on deaf ears. Unfortunately, I cannot speak on behalf of Atlific Hotels or the Saskatoon Inn.

I will be forwarding your email to our Senior Vice President of Operations, Mr. Philippe Gadbois and will follow up with him personally when he returns to the office tomorrow.

I am so sorry that this decision has caused you and your colleagues to stop supporting the Saskatoon Inn.

Christine
Old 12-15-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
WOW! I'm impressed. A response already.

Good day Mr. Payne,

Please don't think your email have fallen on deaf ears. Unfortunately, I cannot speak on behalf of Atlific Hotels or the Saskatoon Inn.

I will be forwarding your email to our Senior Vice President of Operations, Mr. Philippe Gadbois and will follow up with him personally when he returns to the office tomorrow.

I am so sorry that this decision has caused you and your colleagues to stop supporting the Saskatoon Inn.

Christine
LOL I had the exact same response sent to me 12 minutes after I sent the email. Only difference obviously is our last names.
I hope her email is getting flooded with so many emails she has no choice but to copy and paste replies.
Good job everyone, Keep it up and I encourage everyone to send an email.

This is what I wrote to her specifically regarding the Saskatoon Inn

I am writing to express my extreme displeasure with the Saskatoon Inn’s decision to cancel hosting the African Hunting show.
If the decision isn’t reversed I will have no choice but to stop supporting the Saskatoon Inn and its affiliated partners.
I realize I am only one person, but I do live in close proximity to Saskatoon and stay approx 10-12 nights a year there with multiple colleagues from the oil and gas industry.
I understand you are under a lot of pressure from the anti hunting community but you need to realize Saskatchewan is a province very supportive of hunting, fishing and the outdoors. I hope this can be resolved, therefore allowing me to support your hotel again in the near future.
Thanks,
Old 12-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Default The response I got was pretty much the same.

Good day Mr. Awesome,

As I have informed the other outfitters who have also reached out to me, I will be forwarding your email to our Senior Vice President of Operations, Mr. Philippe Gadbois and will follow up with him personally when he returns to the office tomorrow.

I am so sorry that this decision has caused you and your fellow outfitters to stop supporting the Saskatoon Inn.

Christine
Old 12-15-2015, 01:19 PM

If nothing else, maybe having to respond to 2 or 3 thousand emails will open some eyes.

Even if it is a form letter.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:07 PM

People should make sure to contact InterContinental Group also. They are the parent company and should know the actions of their franchisee and how their actions will affect all of their holdings, not just the one location.

IMO.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:41 AM

I just received my reply to the effect that a Senior Vice President would be getting a copy of my email.

I have no plans to go to Africa, but I agree with earlier posters who said we must all stick together against the anti-hunters. They will try to shut down African trophy hunting today but tomorrow they will be after the duck hunters.

This might be old news to most of AO, but I sent the hotel chain a link to a New York Times piece about Cecil written by a person from Zimbabwe who has real-life experience (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/op...ions.html?_r=0). It's not easy to argue with anti-hunters but it might make a difference if they realized that the people who live there have good reasons to be happy when lions are killed.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
It was bad before.
The whole Cecil fiasco made it much much worse.

People need to shut their mouths and mind their own darn business.
The use of "Cecil lies by a Vegan cat lady to promote her Anti hunting agenda. Baseless accusations to bully a local business.

Sadly, the zealot gained some success which will only foster further bullying and abuse.

Protect everyones right to hunt. Please send an email.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:53 AM

They have attacked Toronto and Saskatoon shows. Will Calgary be next? Here is a copy of my letter to all the listed addresses posted above.

I understand you hotel has cancelled the African Safari show. It concerns me that someone who knows nothing about the issues in Africa can get an online petition going and bring about unfounded concerns that in the end will do nothing but harm what she thinks she is protecting.
As a member of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, an organization that has held conventions and utilized meeting rooms in your hotel, I am disgusted with your companies actions. I will be sure that the 35,000 plus members of are well aware of this injustice. I will also be sure to let organizations related to the hunting industry know your position as well.
I would ask you to reconsider the actions of your company. I would also like you to watch a short clip that one of the leading conservationist for lions in Africa has done so that you and others have a better understanding of the issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiyQ...&feature=share
Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I am not an SCI member but I do not fault them or any other organization for taking a step back until the true facts came out. The news media certainly tried to make this the crime of the century.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerdeer View Post

Elmer
How does one get a tag to hunt an anti?
Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I wonder if an agreement was already signed? It's not cool to back out of a contract
This.

Grizz
Old 12-16-2015, 09:10 PM

Default antis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
They have attacked Toronto and Saskatoon shows. Will Calgary be next? Here is a copy of my letter to all the listed addresses posted above.

I understand you hotel has cancelled the African Safari show. It concerns me that someone who knows nothing about the issues in Africa can get an online petition going and bring about unfounded concerns that in the end will do nothing but harm what she thinks she is protecting.
As a member of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, an organization that has held conventions and utilized meeting rooms in your hotel, I am disgusted with your companies actions. I will be sure that the 35,000 plus members of are well aware of this injustice. I will also be sure to let organizations related to the hunting industry know your position as well.
I would ask you to reconsider the actions of your company. I would also like you to watch a short clip that one of the leading conservationist for lions in Africa has done so that you and others have a better understanding of the issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiyQ...&feature=share

here is what I have emailed to Animal Justice that started the Toronto petition and to the Saskatoon Inn.

This response is to give your organization a different perspective on how man affects the world and how hunting plays an important part in the role of wildlife management and conservation. Man controls and changes every part of the world we live in, both positively and negatively. We use the land: building cities and communities, development of all industries (oil & gas, forestry, etc) and primarily for agriculture to feed the world’s populations. We use the rivers, lakes and oceans: build dams for electrical power, irrigation for agriculture, drain wetlands and build levies for land use (New Orleans), and to provide seafood and fish as a food source. We use the earth’s air: to sustain all life forms, to travel vast distances quickly via transportation, and lastly to absorb all pollution from our industries and automobiles. Man has his fingerprint on all aspects of the world and we affect and control everything. With how the world is now, nature cannot adapt with all plants and animals living in equilibrium and balance because man makes too many continual changes to the environment, due to our ever expanding population.
First off, hunting is a vital part of man’s control of the environment and its inhabitants. Almost every country in the world, sees wildlife as a resource that requires management. That is why there are hunting regulations and harvest limits to control and utilize this resource effectively. There are millions of dollars spent on setting these regulations and enforcement. All ethical hunters abide by these rules willingly to ensure this valuable resource is sustained and maintained for future generations. I am an ethical hunter and I am proud of that fact. As a conservationist, I do my part to control animal populations, which involves hunting as an important tool. I value and respect the animals I hunt and harvest. This value has me spend countless volunteer hours and tens of thousands of dollars to conserve wildlife and their habitats. I have belonged to a number of conservation organizations that consist primarily of avid hunters and fishermen (+95%). History has proof that hunters belonging to conservation groups have been instrumental in bringing back wildlife from the brink of extinction in many cases. Because hunters value the sport of hunting, we put our efforts and money to protect that resource. It is a resource to use for recreation and subsistence.
Facts documented by the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation in the USA.
Why Hunting is Conservation!
1: In 1907, only 41,000 elk remained in North America. Thanks to the money and hard work invested by hunters to restore and conserve habitat, today there are more than 1 million.
2 : In 1900, only 500,000 whitetails remained. Thanks to conservation work spearheaded by hunters, today there are more than 32 million.
3 : In 1900, only 100,000 wild turkeys remained, today there are over 7 million.
4 : In 1901, few ducks remained. Thanks to hunters’ efforts to restore and conserve wetlands, today there are more than 44 million.
5 : In 1950, only 12,000 pronghorn remained. Today there are more than 1.1 million.
6 : Habitat, research and wildlife law enforcement work, all paid for by hunters, help countless non-hunted species.
7 : Through state licenses and fees, hunters pay $796 million a year for conservation programs.*
8 : Through donations to groups like RMEF, hunters add $440 million a year to conservation efforts.*
9 : In 1937, hunters actually requested an 11% tax on guns, ammo, bows and arrows to help fund conservation. That tax, so far, raised more than $8 billion for wildlife conservation.*
10 : An 11% tax on guns, ammo, bows and arrows generates $371 million a year for conservation.*
11 : All together, hunters pay more than $1.6 billion a year for conservation programs.
12 : As taxpayers, hunters also fund the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, etc.
13 : Hunting funds conservation & the economy, generating $38 billion a year in retail spending.
14 : Hunting supports 680,000 jobs, from game wardens to waitresses, biologists to motel clerks.*
15 : Hunters are the fuel behind RMEF and its 6.6 million-plus acres of habitat conservation. More than 95 percent of our 205,000 members are passionate hunters.
16 : A wildlife management tool, hunting helps balance wildlife populations with what the land can support, limits crop damage and curtails disease outbreaks..
17 : Hunting has major value for highway safety. For every deer hit by a motorist, hunters take six. Deer collisions kill 200 motorists and cost $10 million a year.
18 : Hunters provide for conservation—and for their families. Hunting is a healthy way to connect with nature and eat the world’s most organic, lean, free-range meat.
19 : Avid hunter Theodore Roosevelt created our national forests and grasslands and forever protected 230 million acres for wildlife and the public to use and enjoy.
20 : With funding from hunters, RMEF helped restore wild elk herds in six states and provinces.

Imagine for a moment that there was no hunting allowed any where. What would happen to the game numbers, for example: whitetails in the eastern states, the population would explode creating an over abundance of animals that would eventually lead to disease and starvation for the majority. Farmers would be shooting the animals and leaving them to rot because the over population is totally wrecking the crops. Poaching would increase 1000 fold as hunting would not be regulated. Now, a once valuable resource is wasted with animals dying needlessly by the tens of thousands. Traffic accidents and death to animals and humans would definitely rise.
Not a great picture or a wise use of an important, renewable and viable resource.
I was just in Namibia on a bow hunting trip. The land in the NW part of the country is a harsh land with its only use for cattle farming and hunting. If no animals were harvested to control the numbers, with the drought currently going on in that country, there would be countless animals dying of thirst and starvation, again a total devastation of the populations. All animals I hunted were totally used for subsistence for the local population, the outfitter and myself. If these animals were not legally harvested through controlled hunting, the poaching of the animals would be rampant as all people of the area would be killing for a source of food (or money for selling of the meat, as poaching is still a problem happening today).
I hunt because I want to eat wild meat and not store bought meat. That is my choice and I have the right to it. I butcher my own animals and I use all of the animal, from the wild meat, to all the bones and meat scraps for my 2 dogs (from the SPCA). I get the hides tanned into leather to use in my home for furniture and for my hobbies. I am very proud of the fact that I make total use of the animals I hunt.
In Alberta, in 2014, there were over 15,500 elk and moose harvested, with an average of 300 lbs of meat, that is over 4,500,000 lbs of meat that was used for prized dinner fare for countless families.
A lot of areas in the US and Canada have food banks where wild meat can be donated for needy families. Another valuable use of the resource, very similar to what is done in Africa for game harvested there.
I hope you can see my view on the valuable and important side to hunting
and how it is definitely NOT
“cruel and senseless slaughter of majestic animals”,
“brutally kill countless endangered and threatened animals”,
how Animal Justice perceives, describes and distorts it.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned

My eyes are bleeding now...
I fired off a few emails receiving the same automated response.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

Can't get over this, there will be a lawsuit I hope. I'm sure watching their stock.. might be one to BUY!

TPH-T