Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2016, 05:56 PM

Default Sheep poacher

I read this article and was just wondering if anyone knows where you get more information on stuff like this. As in details and is it public knowledge. At least if you didn't hear about this, you know now.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:02 PM

LOL. My dad was in the courtroom and told me about this case when they had it.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 PM

From what I've heard around town this is the incident referred to in the "hunt with savage encounters" thread and Skip Selk.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...age+encounters
Old 02-01-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunman View Post
LOL. My dad was in the courtroom and told me about this case when they had it.
But no info to add then ????
Old 02-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Supposedly the outfitter had taken them into a zone where they didn't have an allocation for. They shot a ram and and left him. The Hunter had payed $25,000 for the hunt. Upon being caught they seized his rifle, and now he has this charge as well. The guide tried to defend himself and the Hunter asked him if he could honestly say he wasn't aware they were in the incorrect zone. To which the Hunter was unable to say yes. I forget all the things he was going to be charged with,but the fish and wildlife officer said the outfitter had an upcoming trial as well.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:40 PM

Word around Rocky was Logan got nailed for shooting a ram "a finger nail" under size and fish and wildlife went overboard/threw the book at him. Looks like I have some people to educate lol. It's one thing to man up and admit you made a mistake and take your lumps, but to abandon a sheep you should lose your guiding and hunting license for life.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM

The ram was over an inch short on both sides. They left the entire sheep buried under a pile of rocks. As I stated in the prior thread this would come out. Now it is public info.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:00 PM

In the paper article it also said it was shot in a different zone then they had tags for (allocation).
Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Where was the prohibited area?? A park ?? Or just were the outfitter didn't have allocations ?? Also just like my original question, where does a guy find out facts and not just hear say?? Was the hunter a resident or non resident?? Thanks for the conversation
Old 02-01-2016, 07:09 PM

"The outfitting company may also face charges" has me wondering if the outfitter even knew about the incident, or if the guide acted on his own and didn't even tell the outfitter. It sounds like that is what is being investigated.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Not a prohibited area but the wrong wmu.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
"The outfitting company may also face charges" has me wondering if the outfitter even knew about the incident, or if the guide acted on his own and didn't even tell the outfitter. It sounds like that is what is being investigated.
The outfitter is and should be accountable for the actions of their guides.
Don't pass the seriousness of this onto the guide. Outfitters are paid big bucks for the services they provide and should not hide from the consequences of illegal acts under the skirts of their guides. It the outfitters responsibility to ensure their guides are capable and aware of where they are hunting and the regulations that apply. The outfitter should also face charges in this case.

Last edited by Ranger CS; 02-01-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:32 PM

Precisely. The outfitter should be held responsible also. And in this case he knew exactly what was going on.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordegg2 View Post
Precisely. The outfitter should be held responsible also. And in this case he knew exactly what was going on.

If the prosecutor had proof that the outfitter knew all about this, he would have already charged the outfitter.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If the prosecutor had proof that the outfitter knew all about this, he would have already charged the outfitter.
Whether or not the outfitter knew about the illegal acts of his guide is irrelevant. The outfitter is, and always should be responsible for the actions of his employee, the guide. It's nice to have a safe to place to hide from the law. Come on.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:59 PM

i truly think the fines for poaching are not harsh enough ! if its shooting a sheep and leaving it or dumping 30 ducks in a ditch
( if you remember that story and outcome... )
they should never be aloud to hunt or guide again .
Maybe if fines were more harsh the sorry excuse for a "hunter" or guide or outfitter would smarten up . Leave the hunting to the ethical people quit looking at it as a income and go buy your meat a Safeway . People that see a animal as only Dollar amount have something wrong with them .
My two cents sorry if I offended anyone .
Old 02-01-2016, 08:01 PM

the penalties are still not harsh enough, 1 year ban for the hunter ????? maybe if he didn't know that he was outside their allotted area ???? he was fined $20,000 plus out the $24,000 he paid the outfitter and lost his rifle.
But the guide had to know they were outside their zone in which case he should get a ban for a minimum of 5 years as should the outfitter he was working for who must be held responsible for the illegal actions of his employees, you can bet your bottom this is not the first time that they " bent the law " in order to justify their healthy guiding fees, time to put some teeth into the laws, poaching effects all of us legal hunters.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
From what I've heard around town this is the incident referred to in the "hunt with savage encounters" thread and Skip Selk.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...age+encounters
Nordeg was bang on.

Is it just me or does it seem like poaching incidents involving outfitters/guides are popping up more often in the last few years or has been like this in Alberta for some time?
Old 02-01-2016, 09:49 PM

I would think that poaching doesn't happen more than the past maybe even less. But the tolerance for it is a lot less.people have stopped turning a blind eye.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:08 PM

Or is it that the threats of full curl has pushed people to push the limits and sometimes be wrong.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 PM

And let me guess? APOS won't do a dam thing about this either?
Old 02-01-2016, 10:16 PM

Where is his guiding territory.. I just watched a sheep hunt on wild TV with his guiding out fit..got on some tiny squeeker rams and the hunter missed 4 times..
Old 02-02-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesneights View Post
Or is it that the threats of full curl has pushed people to push the limits and sometimes be wrong.
A couple of the guide/outfitters incidents I am thinking of didn't involve sheep. The only other sheep incident I am thinking of was the one at Cadomin where the guide shot a large full curl ram on the mine site on his girlfriends late season tag.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:24 AM
Banned

Who is the outfitting company that may face charges?
Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 AM

Selks alberta bighorns
Old 02-02-2016, 06:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Nordeg was bang on.

Is it just me or does it seem like poaching incidents involving outfitters/guides are popping up more often in the last few years or has been like this in Alberta for some time?
More than likely for some time just getting caught more right now.
Might get away with it for many years make huge amounts of cash on a whim you might get caught and pay a small price in fines when compared to what you made over the long haul. A bad gamble from my perspective because now your name is mud and at the end of the day that is the only thing you have...a last name mud!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-02-2016, 07:10 AM

Skip has a bad reputation for years now for bending the rules. I feel that the hunter likely was lead astray by the guide and outfitter. His fine should have been handed to the outfitter. I know a guide that worked for him that told me Skip have him bad info and sent him and his hunter to another outfitters area. Once he realized he was hunting another zone he quit and didn't go back. Also told me about salting.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:16 AM

Ah, now the truth is coming out and all those guys that hunted with skip in the past will be shi##ing their pants wondering if F&W will be knocking on their door to confiscate their sheep. Maybe you need to hire him to pick MUSHROOMS. LOL
Old 02-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Banned

LOL^

Too bad the commercialization of hunting is wrecking it for all of us
Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 AM

It has nothing to do with commercialization and all to do with poor ethics and morals.