Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Default Reports of RCMP entering homes, removing guns.

There are reports of the RCMP forcibly entering homes in Ft Mac and removing firearms. This is reported on the Facebook Group "Fort McMurray Firearms Community" today.
I'm sure it's being thoroughly investigated, but check it out at https://www.facebook.com/groups/690521767727404/

So much for Mr Goodale's promises if it's true.
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 PM

I can't BELIEVE they would try that again. Seriously? I'll await confirmed reports.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:54 PM

CCFR Early statement:
WHAT WE KNOW: The Fort Mac RCMP stated to me they are entering the homes of people who have called worried about the safety of their firearms.
Ralph Goodale's office stated to me that this is being done as a precautionary measure against looters and criminal activity.
A looter has been arrested.
WHAT TO DO: Upon return to your homes, take note of the entry points. Take photos. Take an inventory. Take photos of everything. Write it down. Are things broken? Are things missing? Was your home damaged by fire and therefore accessible and unsecure? Write a report, include anything that seems weird. LOTS of photos.
e-mail report to: info@firearmrights.ca
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff
Old 05-10-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbridle View Post
CCFR Early statement:
WHAT WE KNOW: The Fort Mac RCMP stated to me they are entering the homes of people who have called worried about the safety of their firearms.
Ralph Goodale's office stated to me that this is being done as a precautionary measure against looters and criminal activity.
A looter has been arrested.
WHAT TO DO: Upon return to your homes, take note of the entry points. Take photos. Take an inventory. Take photos of everything. Write it down. Are things broken? Are things missing? Was your home damaged by fire and therefore accessible and unsecure? Write a report, include anything that seems weird. LOTS of photos.
e-mail report to: info@firearmrights.ca
If the RCMP are ONLY entering homes of certain firearm owners at the owner's request, then I am not at all worried.

If the RCMP are entering any/all homes without the owner's request, then that is a problem.

This issue is worthy of monitoring for now until more facts are known. Stay calm everyone...
Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
If the RCMP are ONLY entering homes of certain firearm owners at the owner's request, then I am not at all worried.

If the RCMP are entering any/all homes without the owner's request, then that is a problem.

This issue is worthy of monitoring for now until more facts are known. Stay calm everyone...
I'm ok with them entering EVERY home (gun owners and non-gun owners), if they are doing a safety sweep to find people, as long as they leave guns alone. What they can't do is pull out an old registry list or firearms license list and start going into ONLY the homes of "suspected" gun owners, and confiscating.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:13 PM

One improperly worded statement , or maybe even not all the truth , and the RCMP are " going in and grabbing guns" which is a load of crap and the very reason I came down hard the first time this was mentioned.

After all, we it is common knowledge that ANYTHING you see on Facebook or any other social media is the Gospel truth!

Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 02:30 PM

I'm betting that with all that is going on in Ft Mac these days, ALL authorities have enough to keep them busy enough without going on a wild goose hunt for anything! However, if a responsible person has called in a concern then the authorities will likely respond to that complaint as time allows. Much todo about nothing IMO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
One improperly worded statement , or maybe even not all the truth , and the RCMP are " going in and grabbing guns" which is a load of crap and the very reason I came down hard the first time this was mentioned.

After all, we it is common knowledge that ANYTHING you see on Facebook or any other social media is the Gospel truth!

Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 02:34 PM

The story looks pretty cut and dry to me. IF you request they will go secure your firearm. If you don't request it, they won't. I can only imagine the nonsense being spread on that site. Am I the only one that absolutely despises Facebook?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM

The story looks pretty cut and dry to me. IF you request they will go secure your firearm. If you don't request it, they won't. I can only imagine the nonsense and hysteria being spread on that site. Am I the only one that absolutely despises Facebook?
Old 05-10-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
The story looks pretty cut and dry to me. IF you request they will go secure your firearm. If you don't request it, they won't. I can only imagine the nonsense being spread on that site. Am I the only one that absolutely despises Facebook?
If that's all that is going on, and nothing more, then good on them. They're providing a requested service, assisting people with concerns about the security of their potentially hazardous belongings.

If they use this as an excuse to repeat High River, then big problem.

We won't know for sure until firearms owners start making their way back into their homes, taking inventories, and reporting back.

Until that happens, everything said is pure speculation, and nothing more (How could anyone really know for sure, if so few have access to the city?). And speculation doesn't help anyone at times like this.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:

Cat
I think you were pretty disassociated from the events that transpired in High River.

It left a sour taste in people's mouth and a potentially lifelong distrust of the RCMP from Southern Alberta sportsmen.

They had spike belts on the highways to keep families from going home while they kicked in their doors to look through drawers. I'm not exaggerating.

You guys have been through a hell of a lousy deal up there. I hope what happened to us down here was a lesson for the RCMP on how to conduct themselves with your private, personal, valuable and cherished property.

You have to forgive the jaded attitudes some of us have in regards to hearing that more and more RCMP are heading to Ft. Mac. We think we know why they are going there. They are convoying to the Fort because in about 5 days time, you and so many of your neighbors are going to get really tired of school gymnasiums when you can see clear as day on google your house is standing and reporters crawling over your possessions. The roadblocks are going to start piling up with frustrated people who want to go home. They are sending crowd control.

Albertan's are not refugee's, I do not think I speak for myself when I say, Government get the hell out of the way its time for Albertan people and business to take over and get that place rolling again.

I have seen some pretty amazing images of the incredible work the firefighters did there. You guys will have to put up a monument to them, I will donate to it.

I agree with you on one aspect - Don't believe everything you read on social media.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=warbridle;3226476]There are reports of the RCMP forcibly entering homes in Ft Mac and removing firearms. This is reported on the Facebook Group "Fort McMurray Firearms Community" today.
I'm sure it's being thoroughly investigated, but check it out at https://www.facebook.com/groups/690521767727404/

So much for Mr Goodale's promises if it's true.[/QUOT

Forcibly? Come on. Did you pull that out of your butt. I read the posts and did not notice that word anywhere. Perhaps I missed it.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:49 PM

Mr Moxon stated that two guns were taken from his LOCKED bedroom. How do you suppose that happened without force?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbridle View Post
Mr Moxon stated that two guns were taken from his LOCKED bedroom. How do you suppose that happened without force?
How does he know?
Old 05-10-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
How does he know?
He stated that the RCMP called and informed him. If I knew how to post pictures here I'd post the screenshot.
Also, the CCFR has made inquiries. One Alberta field officer sent this email to Mr Goodale: Sir,

You stated in an interview just yesterday that we would definately not be witness to another situation in Fort McMurray like the one we saw in High River. You were very clear in this statement. It would seem you are misleading the citizens in regards to this terrible tragedy.

Here is a quoted conversation my colleague Tracey Wilson from the Canadian Coalition For Firearm Rights just had with the RCMP in Ft. Mac. Followed by a conversation with your very own office just minutes ago. I find the rather curt dismissal of my colleague to be uncalled for and quite rude.

I do expect a formal reply in regards to this email.

Tracey Wilson
"Me: good afternoon, I have reports coming into me that the RCMP in Fort Mac are entering homes and removing firearms.
RCMP: yes.
Me: what is the reason for this action
RCMP: some people have called saying they are worried about the safety of their firearms
Me: I have someone on the line that tells me they haven't called and the RCMP still went in and took their firearms
RCMP: that's his problem
Me: so there is indeed action in Fort Mac where firearms are being removed from private homes
RCMP: yes, in some cases"

Conversation with your office.

"Tracey Wilson
Me: good afternoon, I just spoke to the RCMP in Fort Mac and they have confirmed they have been entering homes to remove firearms
RGoffice: yes
Me: yesterday Minister Goodale stated this would not be the case this time
RGoffice: you do understand why they do this right?
Me: I understand why they tell us they do it
RGoffice: if you have any further concerns, I suggest you send an e-mail good-day

Richard Bone
Field Officer, Alberta
Canadian Coalition For Firearm Rights
www.firearmrights.ca
www.gundebate.ca
Toll Free 1-844-243-CCFR (2237)
Old 05-10-2016, 03:28 PM

LIL

Haven't read through the thread yet, just wanted to jump in here & ask - anybody catching Tracey Wilson's CCFR FB feeds on this? She's been in contact w the RCMP & Goodale's office & there's direct confirmation of RCMP entry into homes for removal of firearms

Excerpts (from ~1 hr ago):
Tracey Wilson: good afternoon, I have reports coming into me that the RCMP in Fort Mac are entering homes and removing firearms.
Tracey Wilson: what is the reason for this action
RCMP: some people have called saying they are worried about the safety of their firearms
Tracey Wilson: I have someone on the line that tells me they haven't called and the RCMP still went in and took their firearms
Tracey Wilson: so there is indeed action in Fort Mac where firearms are being removed from private homes
RCMP: yes, in some cases

Tracey Wilson: good afternoon, I just spoke to the RCMP in Fort Mac and they have confirmed they have been entering homes to remove firearms
Ralph Goodale's Office: yes
Tracey Wilson: yesterday Minister Goodale stated this would not be the case this time
Tracey Wilson: I understand why they tell us they do it
RGoffice: if you have any further concerns, I suggest you send an e-mail good-day

Another CCFR FB member who lives in Ft Mac asked Tracey to post the information she was getting to the Ft McMurray community page. She did. The same member confirmed that the information was taken down shortly afterward, as well as posts he had made adding "Also I can no longer post to the community pages. An rcmp member Samy Davey is an administrator and deleted my post and I think has blocked me from posting."

Trying to spread information here, not panic, but it does look like it's getting fishy.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:29 PM

Dang it, in the time it took me to get that put together I'd already been scooped!
Old 05-10-2016, 03:29 PM

I was not in High riover but i was hardly disasociated with it,I saw the news and was getting ready to take my boat down there and i know exactly what happened.
But those people that are saying this stuff up in Ft. McMurray were not down there either.
However, if a person wants to leave unsecured guns in their house that is their business.
I know all of my firearms are not only secured but were untouched.
Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolHammer View Post
LIL

Haven't read through the thread yet, just wanted to jump in here & ask - anybody catching Tracey Wilson's CCFR FB feeds on this? She's been in contact w the RCMP & Goodale's office & there's direct confirmation of RCMP entry into homes for removal of firearms

Excerpts (from ~1 hr ago):
Tracey Wilson: good afternoon, I have reports coming into me that the RCMP in Fort Mac are entering homes and removing firearms.
Tracey Wilson: what is the reason for this action
Tracey Wilson: I have someone on the line that tells me they haven't called and the RCMP still went in and took their firearms
Tracey Wilson: so there is indeed action in Fort Mac where firearms are being removed from private homes
RCMP: yes, in some cases

Tracey Wilson: good afternoon, I just spoke to the RCMP in Fort Mac and they have confirmed they have been entering homes to remove firearms
Ralph Goodale's Office: yes
Tracey Wilson: yesterday Minister Goodale stated this would not be the case this time
Tracey Wilson: I understand why they tell us they do it

Another CCFR FB member who lives in Ft Mac asked Tracey to post the information she was getting to the Ft McMurray community page. She did. The same member confirmed that the information was taken down shortly afterward, as well as posts he had made adding "Also I can no longer post to the community pages. An rcmp member Samy Davey is an administrator and deleted my post and I think has blocked me from posting."

Trying to spread information here, not panic, but it does look like it's getting fishy.
What this person conveniently forgot to tell this Tracy Wilson forgot to say if his house had been previously breached by someone and the RCMP went to to check or other details.
She also asks if the RCMP are entering houses and the response was " yes in some cases"
She didn't ask any other questions because she had EXACTLY what she needed to start a firestorm of rumors.
Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
What this person conveniently forgot to tell this Tracy Wilson forgot to say if his house had been previously breached by someone and the RCMP went to to check or other details.
She also asks if the RCMP are entering houses and the response was " yes in some cases"
She didn't ask any other questions because she had EXACTLY what she needed to start a firestorm of rumors.
Cat
People spreading misinformation, rumors or incomplete info to get a reaction are just as bad, if not worse than those whose actions would erode the public trust.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:40 PM

Either way, right or wrong, goes to show you the lack of respect and trust the average Joe has for the RCMP. Things have changed, for the worse, and I don't see their reputation being saved anytime soon.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
...this Tracy Wilson ..
Only chiming again because it looked like you might be unaware who Tracey Wilson is - she's the Board Chair for the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (Link to the CCFR Who We Are Page: https://firearmrights.ca/en/who-we-are/). Rod Giltaca (CCFR President) may be a familiar face from the various info videos he's done on Canadian Firearms Rights on YT.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I was not in High riover but i was hardly disasociated with it,I saw the news and was getting ready to take my boat down there and i know exactly what happened.
Cat
The firearms seizures in High River occurred after residents starting getting funny at the road blocks.

I will never forget the spike belts on the roads.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
Either way, right or wrong, goes to show you the lack of respect and trust the average Joe has for the RCMP. Things have changed, for the worse, and I don't see their reputation being saved anytime soon.
I tend to think of it as the average Canadian's regard for the RCMP has become 'nuanced' as a result of the question of gun control in Canada and their actions in High River. I think their brand has been tarnished by their actions, but is far from empty yet. Trust, once abused, is a difficult commodity to get back into inventory though.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
The firearms seizures in High River occurred after residents starting getting funny at the road blocks.

I will never forget the spike belts on the roads.
This situation is not High River.
Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
This situation is not High River.
Cat
It's worth keeping in mind that based on what I observed first hand the actual situation in High River and the "Legend of the High River Gun Grab" don't always line up either.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:31 PM

There is no reason why the RCMP cannot be completely forward this time, and explain to everyone exactly what they are doing , and not doing , during one of the daily information meetings. There is no reason for everyone to have to guess.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:51 PM

I see s blurb on the TV the other day that said they were not entering houses unless they were asked to or the house had already been breached but I can't remember the exact wording .
Very close to what I was told personally however .
Cat
Old 05-10-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
There is no reason why the RCMP cannot be completely forward this time, and explain to everyone exactly what they are doing , and not doing , during one of the daily information meetings. There is no reason for everyone to have to guess.
Also wouldn't hurt for Goodale's office to be forthright, candid and truthful either.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Fear mongering.

Isn't better if it's the RCMP and not someone else, breaking into homes and stealing them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread