Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM

Default Canadian Tire "Hunters Stove" Reviews

Let me know your thoughts? I am looking for a wall tent stove soon and want to hear your opinions. I know this may have been covered already in many different Threads so I apologize in advance for not finding the old threads but my search button isn't working.
thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM

Default stove

I actually had on in my old hunting trailer which we pretty much lived in for 2 winters in the oilpatch and now have it in an old hunting cabin for heat and it works great , just line the bottom with some sand or light gravel to keep the bottom from burning out .
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Just bought mine last fall so only used it a couple of times. The walls are nice and thick, once it heats up it holds the heat longer than the thin walled ones. The only thing different I'm going to do is drill out the air vents bigger, doesnt supply enough air unless the door is ajar, IMO. Good stove for the money.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

I love mine.
I find I half to feed it wood once through the night.
I think the air intake works well with dry wood.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

i bought one 2 years ago for the wall tent and loved it like the guys said line the bottom with sand and you do have to add wood during the night but i was thinking about getting some coal to burn during the night because i tell yeah brrrrrr when its roaring its awsome boy does it get cool when its not.

lol
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Banned

o

Last edited by chimpac; 03-13-2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: delete----------- how do I delete?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Banned

Last edited by chimpac; 03-13-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: to delete how do I delete?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HOPE View Post
Let me know your thoughts? I am looking for a wall tent stove soon and want to hear your opinions. I know this may have been covered already in many different Threads so I apologize in advance for not finding the old threads but my search button isn't working.
thanks

You can make your own better than you can buy. Here are a few things you will not get in any store bought stove.
1. Baffle to make the stove top hotter and stop sparks from burning holes in your tent (no spark arrestor needed)

2. Tapered chimney with butt sleeve joints that can hold center pole weight.

3. Vertical mount for better radiant heat on the body in front of the fire.
Check out my picture album on the forum, I will share patterns, etc.

PS. A tent has no insulation so why have a fire when you are in your sleeping bag. It does not take long to get the radiant heat with a hot fire in the morning

Last edited by chimpac; 04-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post

You can make your own better than you can buy. Here are a few things you will not get in any store bought stove.
1. Baffle to make the stove top hotter and stop sparks from burning holes in your tent (no spark arrestor needed)

2. Tapered chimney with butt sleeve joints that can hold center pole weight.

3. Vertical mount for better radiant heat on the body in front of the fire.
Check out my picture album on the forum, I will share patterns, etc.

PS. A tent has no insulation so why have a fire when you are in your sleeping bag. It does not take long to get the radiant heat with a hot fire in the morning
WOW thanks pal. maybe we should talk about that. I appreciate the time you took to share that with me. PM me and we can chat with email.

thanks Big Hope
Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
Just bought mine last fall so only used it a couple of times. The walls are nice and thick, once it heats up it holds the heat longer than the thin walled ones. The only thing different I'm going to do is drill out the air vents bigger, doesnt supply enough air unless the door is ajar, IMO. Good stove for the money.
you said "Drill out the air vents bigger"? do you have pics? I am getting one today! Cant wait!!! dont want to screw anything up...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM

SO I BOUGHT ONE!!! Drove to Strathmore this afternoon to pick it up, on of two left in Ab. lol. I was expecting to shell out 179.99$ for this puppy but at the register the girl says, "92.00$...
"what?" the wife looked at me and says "horseshoes in your A$S!, you have horseshoes in your...".
started a fire in it this afternoon, great!!! needs a new air flow as the factory one is limiting but all in all it is worth the $92.00!!!

thanks guys

BIG HOPE