Your Optometrist in Edmonton

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Adamo Adamo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 3
Default Mushrooms In Alberta

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, came across it while randomly searching sites about Alberta's fungi. Saw there was no thread, so I joined, and now I'm starting one up.

I use to love picking mushrooms, even as a child, just for the sake of seeing them, and picking them, then leaving them. But after a couple trips back home(Italy) and going truffle hunting, I have developed an urge to start looking around here for them. Anybody have any advice where to find some? I'm in the Lethbridge area currently for university, Still a bit early, but in the next week or so it will heat up, so hopefully something will start to sprout! Also, if there are any other mushroom fanatics out there in Lethbridge who want to go picking drop me a msg!

I know these grow in Alberta, just dont know where!
Field Mushroom - Agaricus silvaticus
Combís Tooth - Hericium coralloides
Shaggy Mane - Coprinus comatus
Fairy Ring - Marasmius oreades
Puffball - Lycoperdon perlatum
Saffron Milk Cap - Lactarius deliciosus
Red Top - Leccinum boreale
Hollowfoot - Suillus cavipes
Chicken of the Woods - Laetiporus sulphureus
Shaggy Parasol - Chlorophyllum rhacodes
Oyster Mushroom - Pleurotus ostreatus
King Bolete - Boletus edulis
Early Morel - Verpa conica var. conica
Pigs Ears - Gomphus clavatus
Inky Cap - Coprinopsis atramentaria
Morel - Morchella elata
Club Mushroom - Clavariadelphus truncatus
Hedgehog - Hydnum repandum
Yellow Foot, Trumpet - Cantherellus tubaeformis
Slimy Gomphidius - Gomphidius glutinosus
Shrimp Russula - Russula xerampelina
Gypsy - Rozites caperatus
Honey Mushroom - Armillaria ostoyae
Woolly Pine Bolete - Suillus tomentosus
Green Lobster - Hypomyces viridis
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
nicemustang's Avatar
nicemustang nicemustang is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lake Lenore, Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,648
Default

Man did I think this post was going some where else...LOL....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
honda450's Avatar
honda450 honda450 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 6,614
Default

The only ones I know are morels, don;t know the real name of em but they are good, Ate some other kind that made me sicker than a dog one time. I couldn't eat mushrooms for a year or so afterwards. My grandfather knew what was good and not good, never paid attention. I wish I would of.
__________________
Smoke or Fire in the Forest Dial 310-FIRE
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Justagirl's Avatar
Justagirl Justagirl is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 383
Default

Quote:
nicemustang Man did I think this post was going some where else...LOL....
LOL that's just what I was thinking.. That brings up memories..... Good times.. good times... =)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2009, 06:12 PM
sparky660 sparky660 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lloydminster Alberta
Posts: 1,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justagirl View Post
LOL that's just what I was thinking.. That brings up memories..... Good times.. good times... =)
X2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 PM
juniper's Avatar
juniper juniper is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North
Posts: 90
Default

My father ate some mushrooms once that almost killed him. You should certainly know how to identify them. I still laugh my ass off when I see a mushroom. I will never forget how sick he was.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
~Octane~ ~Octane~ is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Man did I think this post was going some where else...LOL....
LOL I thought the exact same thing
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Adamo Adamo is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lethbridge
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Man did I think this post was going some where else...LOL....
Bahaha, I thought that was going to happen! Dont get me wrong, I know those grow here too Amanita Muscaria and Psycophilium dendriatta i think. But im looking for food this time
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM
keeks's Avatar
keeks keeks is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Whitecourt
Posts: 492
Default

Check out this link. A friend belongs to the club and has learned a lot.

http://www.wildmushrooms.ws/

k
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
buckmaster's Avatar
buckmaster buckmaster is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: nsr edmonton
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, came across it while randomly searching sites about Alberta's fungi. Saw there was no thread, so I joined, and now I'm starting one up.

I use to love picking mushrooms, even as a child, just for the sake of seeing them, and picking them, then leaving them. But after a couple trips back home(Italy) and going truffle hunting, I have developed an urge to start looking around here for them. Anybody have any advice where to find some? I'm in the Lethbridge area currently for university, Still a bit early, but in the next week or so it will heat up, so hopefully something will start to sprout! Also, if there are any other mushroom fanatics out there in Lethbridge who want to go picking drop me a msg!

I know these grow in Alberta, just dont know where!
Field Mushroom - Agaricus silvaticus
Combís Tooth - Hericium coralloides
Shaggy Mane - Coprinus comatus
Fairy Ring - Marasmius oreades
Puffball - Lycoperdon perlatum
Saffron Milk Cap - Lactarius deliciosus
Red Top - Leccinum boreale
Hollowfoot - Suillus cavipes
Chicken of the Woods - Laetiporus sulphureus
Shaggy Parasol - Chlorophyllum rhacodes
Oyster Mushroom - Pleurotus ostreatus
King Bolete - Boletus edulis
Early Morel - Verpa conica var. conica
Pigs Ears - Gomphus clavatus
Inky Cap - Coprinopsis atramentaria
Morel - Morchella elata
Club Mushroom - Clavariadelphus truncatus
Hedgehog - Hydnum repandum
Yellow Foot, Trumpet - Cantherellus tubaeformis
Slimy Gomphidius - Gomphidius glutinosus
Shrimp Russula - Russula xerampelina
Gypsy - Rozites caperatus
Honey Mushroom - Armillaria ostoyae
Woolly Pine Bolete - Suillus tomentosus
Green Lobster - Hypomyces viridis
The two most common mushrooms you will find in alberta are red tops and morels! BTW, july is a good time for red tops.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Redfrog's Avatar
Redfrog Redfrog is online now
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Between Bodo and a hard place
Posts: 12,976
Default

I eat lots of mushrooms. Never been sick yet. I usually go to extra foods they have a selection at a good price.

I used to hunt with a guy from back home[Italy} He had an eye for the shrooms. I tried lots of different ones, some were good some not so much.
I like the puffballs , morels and shaggy manes.

I didn't know the fairy rings were edible.
__________________
Everyone wants to be the beast, until it comes time to do what the beast does.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-21-2009, 05:04 AM
goober's Avatar
goober goober is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Never Never Land
Posts: 1,758
Default

Every year when visiting family in northern Alberta we go and pick Inky Caps and ones that they call Orange tops. I love the Inky caps done with onions and cream.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Matt L.'s Avatar
Matt L. Matt L. is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Whitecourt
Posts: 4,510
Default

The best place to find morels is the year after a forest fire. Judging by the armies of pickers I see all the time!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Dark Wing's Avatar
Dark Wing Dark Wing is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The elbow of Alberta
Posts: 1,035
Default



Two more months till the morels are out in my neck of the woods. Most definately my favorite!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-21-2009, 12:59 PM
GeoTrekr GeoTrekr is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 476
Default

Your close to the Crowsnest pass down in Lethbridge. Apparantly it's a good area (or was a good area after the forest fires a couple years back anyway) for Morels.

Mmm.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-21-2009, 06:00 PM
AlbertaAl AlbertaAl is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 280
Default Red Top mushrooms > picture

I took a picture of this RED TOP...not sure is there's another name for them.
They are very edible and easty to spot and pick from approx Sept 1 - Sept 25
This one was near Elk Island Park

The picture was taken with my sunglasses laying next to it...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-21-2009, 06:08 PM
FishBrain FishBrain is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,976
Default

I love picking morels. They are so tastey.
__________________
A wise fellow once told me "Stop playing with it so much, or it might fall off!"

I still lose bait that way.


UPS will fondle your animals!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Reeves1's Avatar
Reeves1 Reeves1 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Westlock
Posts: 3,948
Default

Don't need a forest fire for morels. Walk just about any Poplar bush: It's a symbiotic relationship.

I may have mentioned on this site before ?
Now is the time to walk Deer trails and mark them with flagging tape or GPS.
Come the warm rains, during the season, walk these trails through the Poplar bush(es) and look for sheds and Morels at the same time !

Make sure you carry your camera....as the Ruffed Grouse will be "booming" and you'll be able to track them by this display. You may get some very good pictures of them doing this.

Toss one stone for three "jobs" !

Multi tasking !
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM
gube gube is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, AB
Posts: 430
Default

Here is a busy thread on morels from last year. Yummy

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=mushrooms
__________________

Savage Vaporizer
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
morel, mushroom, mushrooms

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.