Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-30-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Home made shooting benches

Just wondering if anyone wanted to share any pictures of their home made shooting benches. I haven't found one that I want to spend my money on yet, so I am tossing the idea around of just building one. At first I thought about building a big sturdy one out of wood. Now I have changed my mind and would rather have something that can put in the back of my truck and take places, even if I have to take it apart. I am pondering building one something like this.
Any thoughts or ideas?

I looked at this one and really liked it till I put a gun on it. This bench was really sturdy, there was no movement of it at all. The only thing was too low and the table top was too short. I would have purchased it if the whole thing was another 2-4" higher and if the table top extended out another 8-12".

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM
guidehunt

Default shooting bench

try this one www.horstguns.com hit catalog then put in shooting bench.

Last edited by guidehunt; 04-30-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:37 PM

For simple I like this one. I think they're around $90 at wholesale.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...ing_bench.html
Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM

http://www.horstguns.com/ShootingBench.htm

that's the link Guidehunt was looking for I beleive.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM

I just finished the Camo paint on the bench I built over the winter, I used the BR Pivot...
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...cher-block-top
as the example I got most of my ideas from.

It pivots and also comes apart without any tools required.

I spent about $450 in materials to build 2 of them but have over 100 hours into it as I had to make a pivot system without the aid of a lathe or any machine tools. I work in a welding shop and went in an hour early every morning since January to work on it. Its all aluminum, (not weighed yet but pretty light)

See the pretty TIG welds!!!

The previous summer I used the MTM bench but is a hassle to pivot and the bench just wasn't stable enough for me with 4 legs.

I have plans to make the table top level by leveling the legs but that will likely wait till next winter as I will be spending all my spare time shooting gophers and then reloading
Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
For simple I like this one. I think they're around $90 at wholesale.
Yeah checked that one out before. Its just a little to wobbly for what I want to do. Thanks for posting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
I just finished the Camo paint on the bench I built over the winter, I used the BR Pivot...
I spent about $450 in materials to build 2 of them but have over 100 hours into it as I had to make a pivot system without the aid of a lathe or any machine tools. I work in a welding shop and went in an hour early every morning since January to work on it. Its all aluminum, (not weighed yet but pretty light)
The previous summer I used the MTM bench but is a hassle to pivot and the bench just wasn't stable enough for me with 4 legs.
I have plans to make the table top level by leveling the legs but that will likely wait till next winter as I will be spending all my spare time shooting gophers and then reloading
That is one of the nicest home built ones I have seen. Thanks for sharing.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 04-30-2009, 07:04 PM
guidehunt

thats the one, jerry d thanks great for permenent site
Old 04-30-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.co...cher-block-top

RIGHT CLICK SAVE AS.............

I have 3 lathes in my shop beside my house, 1 for sale, do you want 1?

If you need some lathe work done, I can help you out.

780-745-2006 Ken
Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 PM

Here's mine. Got a little age on it now, but I built it after a plan I found in a shooting book, I can't remember the name. Rock solid, can easily be skidded around by a lawn tractor, fits in a pick up and cost very little.

Grizz
Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Here's mine. Got a little age on it now, but I built it after a plan I found in a shooting book, I can't remember the name. Rock solid, can easily be skidded around by a lawn tractor, fits in a pick up and cost very little.

Grizz
Grizz, yours is what i would build.

The range in town has a design similiar to the very first pic. They seem stable until you sandbag a rifle on them and look out a hundred yards.

I have seen some similiar to Grizzlys built with cinder blocks and I think that is the very best.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 AM

For a portable bench....heres one I put together, legs, seat and shelf all fit under table to haul it flat.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

For a permanent bench, I used the upper fifth wheel plate from a trailer, with 4" pipe legs dug into the ground.....rock solid.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Nice! Reminds me of the one my old man built out of his head in 1969 for us kids. It was solid and pretty. Like yours only all 2x4 construction with a plywood top and stainless steel hardware. The legs were angled about 30 degrees fore and aft for extra stability and had cross members. It was finished in navy blue marine enamel. The same stuff he used on our boat, so I'll bet that shooting bench is still hanging around somebody's shed! It didn't fold but wasn't hard to carry and it was a small inconvenience considering the rugged stability. It was also a good place to hide in the event of an earthquake or if nuclear war broke out!

I'm just sayin' this because if a guy is somewhat handy with woodwork you could make one that's superior to department store stuff. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Default For Travel here and there

Still a work in progress but I think its close.

And my Gong

For my 600 plus range target.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...57#Post1131257
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Was in WSS today, saw the RCBS R.A.S.S. shooting table, no price tag so I asked.......$530 bucks Think I'll stick to my Cdn Tire tool stands and a hunk of 3/4" plywood.