Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-16-2017, 11:09 AM
smitty9 smitty9 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 395
Default Let's talk inflatables

Hi everyone:

Well, the old Metzler inflatable is nearing the end of it's life after 30 years and about a dozen or so patches.

What does everyone like for inflatables; here is my criteria:

1. Must be comfortable to fish out of for 4 adults. Looking at 14 feet in length.

2. Must have a built in bracket to mount the electric trolling motor.

3. Must be equally versatile for Edmonton area trout pothole lakes as well as floating and rowing rivers. To be sure, I have zero interest in whitewater, it's not necessary for me to run class IV to VI rapids, not trying to run this through Hell's gate on the Fraser. Just using the boat as a vessel to go from A to B on the river from fishing spot to fishing spot. Class 3 water at most. Think Athabasca, Berland, NSR, and the Bow.

I've looked at Zebec, Zodiac, Saturn, Sea Eagle, SeaMax, Aquamarine.

Thoughts?

Cheers in advance,
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:21 PM
iYearn's Avatar
iYearn iYearn is online now
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 209
Default

I grew up with a Sevylor with transom.

You could check out the 360:

http://www.coleman.com/fish-hunter-3...-boats#start=7

Lots of videos on YouTube to customize it and modify it to how you want to use it.

I hope this helps.
__________________
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. John Buchan
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-16-2017, 02:56 PM
The Elkster The Elkster is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,918
Default

I was in the exact same boat as you this year. Much loved Metzler just couldn't hold air anymore regardless of number of patches. Didn't want to spend the dollars on a Hypalon boat and when I started reading on the PVC boats it seemed that most are made at the same factories in Korea and just branded differently. Supposedly zodiac's PVC seams are better than something like Saturn's but then again when I priced it out they were significantly more expensive also (like $2000 Vs $3500). Went with a Saturn myself and I'm happy so far but that doesn't mean much with only a season under my belt. It'll be that 5-10 year mark that will tell the tale. When reading a cross section of reviews I didn't really find anything glaring bad in any of the main PVC boat brands like sea eagle, seamax etc.

Some general info

http://inflatableboatworks.com/?p=1796

Good luck

Last edited by The Elkster; 08-16-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-16-2017, 06:05 PM
Little Valy's Avatar
Little Valy Little Valy is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 173
Default

They're expensive but my vote goes to Zodiac
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Robins36's Avatar
Robins36 Robins36 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Leduc
Posts: 79
Default

I've got two friends with Zebec boats and they are quite happy with their investments.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2017, 07:54 PM
stubblejumper01 stubblejumper01 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Busby AB
Posts: 365
Default

I just purchased a nice Zebec 320S from my neighbor. He bought it new and barely used it. The inflatable floor has a leak so I wanted to purchase a wood or aluminum floor. Apparently the company that was bringing them to Canada is no longer in business.
Does anyone know where to get a floor or at least have some contact info?
I also need to know how much air pressure to put in the tubes , the floor, keel, and inflatable floor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:26 AM
Slayer33 Slayer33 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubblejumper01 View Post
I just purchased a nice Zebec 320S from my neighbor. He bought it new and barely used it. The inflatable floor has a leak so I wanted to purchase a wood or aluminum floor. Apparently the company that was bringing them to Canada is no longer in business.
Does anyone know where to get a floor or at least have some contact info?
I also need to know how much air pressure to put in the tubes , the floor, keel, and inflatable floor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
You could try inflatableboatwarehouse

I bought my salter 360 from them and they do sell the floor separately.. maybe they have something for you. They're out of BC but ship where ever
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:02 PM
stubblejumper01 stubblejumper01 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Busby AB
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer33 View Post
You could try inflatableboatwarehouse

I bought my salter 360 from them and they do sell the floor separately.. maybe they have something for you. They're out of BC but ship where ever
Thanks. I'll check them out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 PM
SamSteele's Avatar
SamSteele SamSteele is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,145
Default

Buddy has a zodiac and a zebec boat. Zebec was quite a bit cheaper but quality seems as good or better. It is a fair bit heavier than the zodiac, but it's 2' longer and wider as well. He runs both with a 20 hp short leg Yamaha 4 stroke.






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"To be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars- to be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them...to think seldom of your enemies, often of your friends, and every day of Christ; to spend as much time as you can in God's out-of doors- these are the little guideposts on the footpaths to peace."

-Henry Van Dyke

Instagram: @mharder80
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Albertafishin! Albertafishin! is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
Hi everyone:



Well, the old Metzler inflatable is nearing the end of it's life after 30 years and about a dozen or so patches.



What does everyone like for inflatables; here is my criteria:



1. Must be comfortable to fish out of for 4 adults. Looking at 14 feet in length.



2. Must have a built in bracket to mount the electric trolling motor.



3. Must be equally versatile for Edmonton area trout pothole lakes as well as floating and rowing rivers. To be sure, I have zero interest in whitewater, it's not necessary for me to run class IV to VI rapids, not trying to run this through Hell's gate on the Fraser. Just using the boat as a vessel to go from A to B on the river from fishing spot to fishing spot. Class 3 water at most. Think Athabasca, Berland, NSR, and the Bow.



I've looked at Zebec, Zodiac, Saturn, Sea Eagle, SeaMax, Aquamarine.



Thoughts?



Cheers in advance,

Mike


Check into Stryker Inflatables. Suppose to be built in same plant as Zodiac and seem to be cheaper and as good if not better built! They looked really good when I saw them at the boat show.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:41 AM
Fenix_84 Fenix_84 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 126
Default

Basically for your application you can get any inflatable boat. For the most part they are all made in Asia somewhere using PVC and glued together. There are countless brands out there all selling similar boats with different badges. The brands specify to the manufacture which colors they want, boat dimensions, how thick they want the PVC etc. At the end of the day they will all work and you will be happy with any of them.

Many people mentioned boat X being better than Zodiacs and for the most part its not true. It depends entirely on which Zodiac model they compare it to. Since the 2000s zodiac started outsourcing their low end models to be built in Asia to compete against all these brands so really the low end Zodiacs are no different than the ones i described above. If you are interested in the higher quality Zodiacs look at the Futura, Classic or even a milpro models. As far as I know all these models are still produced in the Zodiac factory in France (where no other brands are produced).

As for the brands you mentioned they have been around for awhile now so you can expect them to honor warranties if something were to happen. A lot of these generic inflatable boat companies pop up for a bit then close down so do your homework on the company.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM
greendrake greendrake is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 96
Default Inflateables

I've owned a Stryker for 2 years now and it looks like it just came from the factory. They are extremely well built and have features that come standard that would cost hundreds extra with other companies. I always get compliments from people on the lake about its style and maneuverability. Solid transom alum flooring rod holders Bimini top make it a fisherman ng machine. Love it
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-23-2017, 10:59 AM
nevercatchmuch nevercatchmuch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: calgary
Posts: 363
Default

I got my aquamarine off eBay (from aquamarine itself). for a great price. Regularly used for 10 years and no issues. Only annoyance was paint flaking off the floor boards.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Toole200 Toole200 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 27
Default

I have both an inflatable (zodiac) and a 12 foot porta-bote and I like the porta-bote a lot better. But for me its more the portability and set up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-23-2017, 02:15 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 5,769
Default Europa Marine Seamax Dealer

Buy local. Seamax dealer is Europa Marine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.