Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-05-2009, 10:03 PM

Default cooling down your dog

The best way to cool down your dog if you are upland hunting and there is no water in the area.
Pour some bottled water on the dogs chest this the fastest way to cool down your dog in combination with hydrating your dog on a regular basis should make your hunting partner work harder and last longer in the field.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM

Default cooling your dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundogguy View Post
The best way to cool down your dog if you are upland hunting and there is no water in the area.
Pour some bottled water on the dogs chest this the fastest way to cool down your dog in combination with hydrating your dog on a regular basis should make your hunting partner work harder and last longer in the field.
Hydrating your dog is a must when hunting him in the fall and as for cooling him down forget the chest for pouring water on and soke down his ears/head and abdomen/groin. All these areas have major blood vessels close to the surface of the skin and hence will cool the dog down faster during evaporation of the water...puphood1
Old 05-06-2009, 01:13 PM

Default cooling down

The chest is where the heart is you cool down the heart the cooled blood will run through the dogs body.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Default cooling your dog

I don't want to burst your bubble but: Core body temp. is what you are trying to cool down not just the heart. The major blood vessels closest to the skin are on the head,neck and groin not chest and the heart is not what needs Quickly cooling down it is the core body temp. This can be done a few ways but the easiest in the field is to cool the major bld. vessels closest to the surface of the skin by wetting them down and letting the water evaporate this cooled of bld then getts circulated through the body. The chest acts as a physical barrier and actually a insulator.
Watch your dog next time it is hot and wants to cool off most will lay down in water to cool the groin area off. Watch a distance runner when they are running a marathon they pour water over there head not their chest. This cools the vessels closest to the skin quickly and then that blood in turn starts to cool the body down.....Soory for the SP. errors....puphood1
Old 05-07-2009, 10:38 AM

in fact cooling your heart can be very dangerous. organs need to be at a constant temperature or else they start to shut down. you are trying to cool the blood flowing through the organ....and that is most easily done where the blood is closes to the surface..as puphood has explained.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Default coolingdog

Glad to see someone jumped on this, surprised it took that long and was not even harsh. In regards to cooling the heart instead of cooling the bare skin and blood vessels closest to the surface, I have never heard of that, and may suggest the original poster change his name, lol. A very basic and important piece of info that all dog owners should know for sure, the original post is misinformation that does nobody any good, and could actually prove fatal if thought to be true and put into practice rather than the most prescribed method to cool a dog in heat distress. Would be surprised to see that written anywhere in any reputable dog book or magazine, if someone finds this some place, please share. Thanks.

Last edited by SBE2; 05-07-2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: may have been unclear as to meaning
Old 05-07-2009, 05:19 PM

My dog was to lazy to do anything that even mentioned work in it. So for her over heating was not an issue.
But I am curious as to why someone wold work their dog to the point they would have to cool them off like has been mentioned. If it is to hot for me to run I definatly do not expect my dog to run.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
My dog was to lazy to do anything that even mentioned work in it. So for her over heating was not an issue.
But I am curious as to why someone wold work their dog to the point they would have to cool them off like has been mentioned. If it is to hot for me to run I definatly do not expect my dog to run.
Not an expert, but the dogs love to hunt....as their handler u have to know when to slow them down and cool them off..... they will go forever...or until they drop
Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
the problem there is that you are judging your dog's cooling system by your own..and they are different. dogs internal temps are a bit higher than ours to start off with..so what may not feel like a hot day to us....may feel hotter to them. as well they are lower to the ground and in the bush etc and many times do not have the benefit of "winds" to help cool them down. also, they do not "sweat" like you or i do...so panting and radiating heat are their primary (not their only) ways of cooling down..and these systems quickly can be overloaded...so...watching your dog, paying attention to his/her body language..and being prepared to accomidate them is very important.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
You also can't judge your dog by yourself, because your dog is covering much more ground at a much faster pace than you are. And it doesn't just have to be a hot day. They can overheat when it is fairly cool out also.

Has anyone tried any of the electrolyte additives in their dog water? I have been using this in my dog bottles the last couple of years, and seem to notice a difference, but maybe it is because I am looking for it?
Old 05-09-2009, 08:14 AM

A dog’s normal body temperature is 100-102 degrees and they cool from the bottom up, some ways to cool them is to take a wet cool towel and hold it against his belly or let him lay on top, can also use a spray bottle with cold water to spray his belly and feet. Give him small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick on. My vet told me once that could give a dog brain damage if they have heat stroke and you pour cold water directly on top of their head. I was also told that dogs can get sun burned too. Blood shot eyes, lethargic, purple gums, heaving panting and drooling are all signs of a dog that is suffering from heat stroke

I was at some dog agility trials last summer and people kept towels in their coolers for their dogs to lay on before and after, some of the dogs had special vests and bandannas on with some kind of cooling gel inside and some had t shirts on that were sprayed with water prior to the tests.

SammyIam, I just read that the way a dog sweats isn't the same as humans so they don't need the electrolytes unless they are already severely dehydrated. Something you might want to talk to your vet about

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/he...harticle21.htm

http://flyballdogs.com/electrolytes.html

Last edited by Sporty; 05-09-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
A dog’s normal body temperature is 100-102 degrees and they cool from the bottom up, some ways to cool them is to take a wet cool towel and hold it against his belly or let him lay on top, can also use a spray bottle with cold water to spray his belly and feet. Give him small amounts of water or ice cubes to lick on. My vet told me once that could give a dog brain damage if they have heat stroke and you pour cold water directly on top of their head. I was also told that dogs can get sun burned too. Blood shot eyes, lethargic, purple gums, heaving panting and drooling are all signs of a dog that is suffering from heat stroke

I was at some dog agility trials last summer and people kept towels in their coolers for their dogs to lay on before and after, some of the dogs had special vests and bandannas on with some kind of cooling gel inside and some had t shirts on that were sprayed with water prior to the tests. Blood shot eyes, lethargic, purple gums are all signs of a dog that is suffering from heat stroke

SammyIam, I just read that the way a dog sweats isn't the same as humans so they don't need the electrolytes unless they are already severely dehydrated. Something you might want to talk to your vet about

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/he...harticle21.htm

http://flyballdogs.com/electrolytes.html
some good advice with the towels..again that is cooling down areas of the body that radiate heat and where vessels are close to the surface...not cooling the heart.

as for brain damage by pouring water on a dogs head...i have a tough time with that one.....i guess maybe if your dog was in absolute heat stroke and you poured just above freezing water on their heads...maybe......but i imagine most of the lakes/rivers etc that our dogs swim in regularly here in alberta are as cold as the water we would pour on them....but then again i am no vet haha
Old 05-09-2009, 06:15 PM

Sorry if I didn't clarify that right, it was if a dog was suffering from heat stroke and you pour cold water over their heads, suddenly. We had left our dog at a kennel for the day in kelowna a couple summers ago and when we picked him up he was severely over heated, the people that ran the kennels said he wouldn't drink the whole time he was there and sat in the sun right by the fence waiting for us, it was them that suggested we cool him down by pouring cold water over him. It was this I mentioned to the vet and he said it is a no no. Kinda like a brain freeze on a larger scale I guess. ;p
Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

Sporty has it right on the electrolytes. Dogs do not have the same requirements as we do because they do not sweat like we do.

If a dog has heat stroke he is suffering some brain damage already. The longer he remains heated the greater the damage can become. You can make the physical damage to his body and organs worse by inducing shock with the sudden application of freezing water. Do NOT put them in, or pour on them, cold water. If the dog is suffering from stroke, cooling by spraying them with cool water on the exposed skin areas that have already been mentioned is the best thing to do for them. The evaporation of the water will cool the body (like when we sweat, which a dog cannot).
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the good ideas, Some of these I had not known, but will use in the future....
Old 05-09-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Sorry if I didn't clarify that right, it was if a dog was suffering from heat stroke and you pour cold water over their heads, suddenly. We had left our dog at a kennel for the day in kelowna a couple summers ago and when we picked him up he was severely over heated, the people that ran the kennels said he wouldn't drink the whole time he was there and sat in the sun right by the fence waiting for us, it was them that suggested we cool him down by pouring cold water over him. It was this I mentioned to the vet and he said it is a no no. Kinda like a brain freeze on a larger scale I guess. ;p
gotcha, i'm on board with that.....
Old 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM

Default cooling down a dog

I am involved with a network of gun dog trainers in the USA fine tuning my training skill set on a quarterly basis.
I was shown this cooling down method by a well known US Dog Trainer.
I thought it was interesting and it make makes logicaly sense I will check with my vet to get his opinion.
Like any thing els common sense is required avoiding over working the dog on hot dry days to begin with.
hydrating the dog on a regular basis is a must.

Regards,
Andre
Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned

Default cooling

Gundogguy, aren't you claiming to be a pro trainer on this site, out of Turner Valley? And you got this info from other pros and decided to put it up here? There are a lot of good/great dog guys on here that jumped on this right away as being BS. I have worked with some pros in the US as well and have never heard this to be the way to cool down. Are you just starting out and charging people for helping/training their dog? Just wondering, not an attack or anything. Have heard of a lot of people who have done so down in the states, with some disastrous results to the dogs health and training, claiming to be a pro trainer after spending some time with some. If you have some references and experience, great. Just not sure why you would post something as "the way" when most know it to be false, and claim to be a pro, but then say you got it from "a network of trainers" in the US. I am sure this sounds like I am jumping all over you and the issue and I may be, sorry, just been thinking about this for a bit. Another question mark was the earlier claim to specializing or whatever it was in AKC stuff, that doesn't exist in Canada and is a US thing. Anyway, my 2cents and hopefully I don't get hammered on too bad for asking about or bringing this up. Have a good one.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Default dogs over heating

A couple of thing about over heating. Dogs are much like us, if they are out of shape (fat) they will over heat quickly as compared to leaner and physically fit dogs who generally won't over heat as fast. So keep your dogs in shape. There is a good article in stride away about additives and simple glucose prework out can be beneficial to most athletic dogs.
When I work dogs in the heat and anything around the mid teens is getting there I soak(I mean soak) my dogs with a garden hose from my well after running if they like it or not the recovery time is much quicker. When it gets even a little warmer around the 20 mark I pre soke them with a garden hose (some dogs like it some think less of me) before I work the dogs. For 8 dogs being roaded of my quad I carry up to 20 gallons of water on the quad for them to drink and pour over them to cool off.
Also a trainer I know has a cheap plastic kiddy wadding pool at his kennel which the dogs get used to laying down in after they work out.
Also over heating and heat stroke (hyperthermia) are two differant matters one can be delt with by the owner with common sense and Hyperthermia needs a vet. because of potential permenant harm to the dog.
Last each dog is different and needs your constant attention when exerciseing in warm and hot weather. Just like people some need less care some need more when it comes to over heating.......puphood1
Old 05-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundogguy View Post
I thought it was interesting and it make makes logicaly sense I will check with my vet to get his opinion.
I think the point most have been making is that it makes no logical sense whatsoever. Believe me, if it were the most effective way to do things the prairie pointer guys would have been doing it long ago. They aren't. If you are going to work dogs in the heat, read what puphood has to say.