Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM
BradleyFishes BradleyFishes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default K-Country Mountain Lakes

Hello,
First off I'd like to thank the admins for accepting me into your forum, I look forward to talking fishing with you guys in the future! I'm planning a fishing trip for next mid-June and was hoping to hike to some of the lakes in K-country searching for my 1st cutties! I know it's early season but it's the only chance I have :/ Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I've been looking at Lillian/Galatea, Picklejar, and a couple others. Ideally I'd narrow it down to two lakes worth hiking into! Any info appreciated PM's welcome as well!

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:01 PM
millsboy79's Avatar
millsboy79 millsboy79 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 768
Default

First thing you need to check next year's regulations when they come out to see which are even open mid June. If memory serves "most" are not open until July.

Out of your list I guess you would have to do Lillian/Galatea and luckily they are on the same trail so you can try them both out the same trek.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:20 PM
BradleyFishes BradleyFishes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsboy79 View Post
First thing you need to check next year's regulations when they come out to see which are even open mid June. If memory serves "most" are not open until July.

Out of your list I guess you would have to do Lillian/Galatea and luckily they are on the same trail so you can try them both out the same trek.
I'm not sure if they usually change from year to year but from what I see now Liilian is open year-round. Good catch for PickleJar though, thanks! Some others I noticed open year-round are Headwall, Carnarvon, and Lake of the Horns.. have you fished any of them? Thanks for the reply
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 PM
BradleyFishes BradleyFishes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Actually I see now that the 40 is closed until mid-June, right after I can be there lol. That narrows down my search a lot, should have done my research properly XD
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:03 AM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,276
Default

My suggesting is take a look at the stocking report for ES1 - i.e. not K Country. I'm pretty sure there are some lakes open all year on that list and might even be less well known.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Scott N's Avatar
Scott N Scott N is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,715
Default

I often have a lot of fun fishing for arctic grayling in June at Bear Pond. It's further SE than the area you are looking into, and it's not cutties, but it's another option at that time of year for you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM
millsboy79's Avatar
millsboy79 millsboy79 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyFishes View Post
Actually I see now that the 40 is closed until mid-June, right after I can be there lol. That narrows down my search a lot, should have done my research properly XD
You can still get to Lillian before the rest of the 40 is open.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:50 AM
BradleyFishes BradleyFishes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

I'll be sure to check the stocking report, thanks! And definitely heading to Bear Pond afterwards, Grayling is another species I've never targeted. Yeah, I'll have to choose between Lillian & Headwall, the other ones I mentioned seem to be on the closed part of the 40. Leaning towards Lillian as I can also try the two Galatea lakes if the bit isn't on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:54 AM
millsboy79's Avatar
millsboy79 millsboy79 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyFishes View Post
I'll be sure to check the stocking report, thanks! And definitely heading to Bear Pond afterwards, Grayling is another species I've never targeted. Yeah, I'll have to choose between Lillian & Headwall, the other ones I mentioned seem to be on the closed part of the 40. Leaning towards Lillian as I can also try the two Galatea lakes if the bit isn't on.
Keep in mind that getting between Lillian and Bear the road is closed and you would need to go the long way around.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:17 PM
BradleyFishes BradleyFishes is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 5
Default

Definitely, thanks for the heads up. My trip continues south into BC (Fernie) so we'd need to go the long way around anyways. Too bad we won't be able to the drive down the 40.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-25-2017, 03:32 PM
millsboy79's Avatar
millsboy79 millsboy79 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary
Posts: 768
Default

Well it opens the 15th which is "mid june"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cutthroat, k-country, trout

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.