Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:10 PM
Ppb Ppb is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6
Default Wedge pond kananaskis

Has anyone here fish wedge pond in Kananaskis? Was wondering if it would be worth a trip to catch a few grayling through the ice.
Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:47 PM
Brandonkop's Avatar
Brandonkop Brandonkop is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC/Alberta
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppb View Post
Has anyone here fish wedge pond in Kananaskis? Was wondering if it would be worth a trip to catch a few grayling through the ice.
Thanks for any replies.
Go to Quarry Lake you'll probably have better luck there!
__________________

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/Brandonkop
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Fly_Boy Fly_Boy is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Go to Quarry Lake you'll probably have better luck there!
Keep in mind that Quarry Lake is catch & release only!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2017, 03:09 PM
tallieho tallieho is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: calgary
Posts: 461
Default

read your reg's they both are c&r
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2017, 05:48 PM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,270
Default

How's access into Quarry? Truck needed? Any other recommendations? Wife is dying to catch a grayling.
__________________
2014 Count: 292
2015 Count: 207
2016 Count: 206

2017 Count:

Rainbow Trout: 230
Brook trout: 5
Brown trout: 1
Burbot: 1
Walleye: 23
Pike: 3
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:16 PM
MountainHunter7 MountainHunter7 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
How's access into Quarry? Truck needed? Any other recommendations? Wife is dying to catch a grayling.
Access is good. Its Pretty much in Canmore. Paved road that is maintained right to the parking lot. You shouldn't have a problem with a car.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2017, 06:41 PM
Brandonkop's Avatar
Brandonkop Brandonkop is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC/Alberta
Posts: 1,510
Default

I have a few videos catching grayling from Quarry if you're interested in going there you can watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrXYQHSYASI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvYUYPKgjYI

Brown I got out of Quarry Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zm0iv75y9E
__________________

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/Brandonkop
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 PM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I have a few videos catching grayling from Quarry if you're interested in going there you can watch them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrXYQHSYASI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvYUYPKgjYI

Brown I got out of Quarry Lake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zm0iv75y9E
Thanks! I'll have to give it a try this winter.
__________________
2014 Count: 292
2015 Count: 207
2016 Count: 206

2017 Count:

Rainbow Trout: 230
Brook trout: 5
Brown trout: 1
Burbot: 1
Walleye: 23
Pike: 3
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2017, 10:23 PM
Spooner Spooner is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 99
Default

wedge is far more enjoyable to fish
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-20-2017, 12:27 AM
Brandonkop's Avatar
Brandonkop Brandonkop is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC/Alberta
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
wedge is far more enjoyable to fish
Do guys actually catch fish at wedge pond in the winter? I haven't heard of much success being had there? I think there are bigger ones in quarry too.
__________________

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/Brandonkop
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-20-2017, 06:07 AM
rena0040 rena0040 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 578
Default

I was at wedge in September, didn't see a single fish rise. Only thing I saw were a few dead 1-2" minnows around shore.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Spooner Spooner is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Do guys actually catch fish at wedge pond in the winter? I haven't heard of much success being had there? I think there are bigger ones in quarry too.
Maybe try it sometime. Then you'll know.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-20-2017, 10:42 AM
Brandonkop's Avatar
Brandonkop Brandonkop is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC/Alberta
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Maybe try it sometime. Then you'll know.
Everyone's definition of enjoyable is different. For your description as, " far more enjoyable," thought you'd have more to say then that. I'm not often in the area so I'll pass for now.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
__________________

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/Brandonkop
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Spooner Spooner is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
Everyone's definition of enjoyable is different. For your description as, " far more enjoyable," thought you'd have more to say then that. I'm not often in the area so I'll pass for now.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Haha. If you're not familiar then your opinion doesn't have much merit.

Quarry is like icefishing the southland dog park. Completely landscaped setting, and too many expert tourists covered in GoPros.

Wedge is a beautiful spot nestled in the trees.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post

Wedge is a beautiful spot nestled in the trees.

Lovely. But the question is fish, not scenery. Your opinion apparently doesn't have much merit in this discussion either. Brandon offered a useful opinion based on experience. Take a pill.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Spooner Spooner is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Lovely. But the question is fish, not scenery. Your opinion apparently doesn't have much merit in this discussion either. Brandon offered a useful opinion based on experience. Take a pill.
Have you fished it?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Have you fished it?
Fished both. . SO?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM
Spooner Spooner is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Fished both. . SO?
Well, tell us about the fish then.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-20-2017, 12:09 PM
Brandonkop's Avatar
Brandonkop Brandonkop is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: BC/Alberta
Posts: 1,510
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Have you fished it?
I didn't have an oppinion on wedge since I've never been, I had a question regarding fishing at wedge. You ascertained my assumption that some people like yourself find more enjoyment in the environment surrounding the lake. Where as some of us would fish in a puddle in the landfill if we knew there were ten pound trout there.

I've had several successful outings to quarry and I'm no hermit, so I actually enjoy talking to people passing by and giving them a little fishing education.

To each his own. I'm glad you enjoy wedge!

The original poster can fish where ever he wants it really doesn't matter to me.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
__________________

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/Brandonkop
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-20-2017, 12:43 PM
RavYak's Avatar
RavYak RavYak is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Edmonton
Posts: 4,204
Default

Wedge is worth fishing. Wasn't the easiest bite for me this summer but they were in there.

Never been to quarry, easy enough to go fish both if you want to.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM
Ppb Ppb is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks for the responses fellas, I didnít think when I started this thread it would start an argument.
I do agree that wedge is a nicer setting to spend a day than quarry, I have flyfished both in the summer months in years past but it has been awhile since being to wedge.
I was looking to see if anyone on the board has had any success ice fishing wedge and whether it would be worth the effort.

Thanks for the info on quarry and great videos Brandon.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Well, tell us about the fish then.
not about my experience, it's about you putting others down and telling them their opinion doesn't matter. Get down off your high horse. All you've offered is that it's pretty. That's nice, but it doesn't invalidate anyone else's comments about how it or any other body of water fishes. YOu can both be right. Quarry can fish better and Wedge can be prettier. There.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Spooner Spooner is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppb View Post
Thanks for the responses fellas, I didnít think when I started this thread it would start an argument.
I do agree that wedge is a nicer setting to spend a day than quarry, I have flyfished both in the summer months in years past but it has been awhile since being to wedge.
I was looking to see if anyone on the board has had any success ice fishing wedge and whether it would be worth the effort.

Thanks for the info on quarry and great videos Brandon.
It's worth the effort. PM me for details.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-21-2017, 06:39 AM
rena0040 rena0040 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 578
Default

Bear pond for me, is probably better than both wedge or quarry
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-21-2017, 11:19 AM
thumper's Avatar
thumper thumper is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canmore
Posts: 3,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rena0040 View Post
Bear pond for me, is probably better than both wedge or quarry
Prettier or more fish ????
__________________
The world is changed by your action, not by your opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Prettier or more fish ????

LOL Both. Now slap this man.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-21-2017, 12:27 PM
Ppb Ppb is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 6
Default

Bear is obviously the better of the three in the summer months but itís not really an ice fishing destination.
Does anyone know if they still stock Quarry and Wedge? I tried looking it up and the only info I could find was dated back in 2013. If that was the last time that these water bodies were stocked then that could explain the slow bite at wedge that most speak of.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.