Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-09-2017, 12:35 PM
ÜberFly's Avatar
ÜberFly ÜberFly is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,576
Default Asking for permission to access - Kijiji

So I have noticed over the last few years, many people asking for hunting access on Kijiji... Does this actually work? I would think this is the lazy way out and that most land owners would respect folks that pound the pavement? Does it work? Just curious...

Thoughts?
__________________
ACMG - HG, IGA - AI, CAA - Active Member

The virtuous find delight in mountains, the wise in rivers.

-Confucius
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:35 PM
The moose's Avatar
The moose The moose is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 560
Default

dont think it works. but does it hurt chances? cant see it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,549
Default

Lots of landowners will say yes and give you access, but I don't think any are going out of their way to find people who want to hunt their land. Don't think any landowners are reading and responding to those ads.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Trochu's Avatar
Trochu Trochu is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,156
Default

I've seen some on community Facebook pages as well and was curious if the posters get any responses.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:20 PM
jgib01's Avatar
jgib01 jgib01 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Kipp's Crossing
Posts: 134
Default

I think this is likely a better and more successful approach: https://canadianlandaccess.com/

Haven't used it myself, but my wife's colleague does (he's one of the folks doing the testimonial on their webpage). Of course, it's not free like Kijiji... $70 a year I think.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:41 PM
neilsledder's Avatar
neilsledder neilsledder is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 902
Default

Might be better then getting told off lol. I went to 2 places west of the city to ask permission. I was treated very badly! Told to get the hell out of there yard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:46 PM
pikergolf's Avatar
pikergolf pikergolf is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Might be better then getting told off lol. I went to 2 places west of the city to ask permission. I was treated very badly! Told to get the hell out of there yard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you driving a jacked up diesel?
__________________
Hope is a powerful medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Bergerboy's Avatar
Bergerboy Bergerboy is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Rattlin' Lookin Down Wind
Posts: 4,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Were you driving a jacked up diesel?
My hunting partner drives a Ford Fiesta. He gets hunting permission all the time, I think they feel sorry for him.
__________________
When in doubt, use full throttle. It may not improve the situation, but it will end the suspense.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM
coastalhunter coastalhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 571
Default

I see them often online here in bc peace. I'd probably be inclined to let one good person hunt my land, but I'm both a owner and hunter... would rather be asked in person. Seen ads asking for location which is suspicious...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2017, 03:01 PM
robson3954 robson3954 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
My hunting partner drives a Ford Fiesta. He gets hunting permission all the time, I think they feel sorry for him.

All in the approach. Not looking like a knuckle draggeing rednceck is probably up there and not many rednecks drive fiestas lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:15 PM
DiabeticKripple's Avatar
DiabeticKripple DiabeticKripple is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Red Deer / Calgary
Posts: 4,704
Default

I got permission for 12 sections of gopher land by posting on kijiji once.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I would gladly take "terrorism" over our regular crime in that case...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM
neilsledder's Avatar
neilsledder neilsledder is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Were you driving a jacked up diesel?


Lol no just a diesel. The one guy had a nice jacked up diesel so that wasn’t the issue. It was out west of Calmar but I here they have issues out that way with lots of quads and dirt bikes trespassing and cutting fences so that might have to do with it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-10-2017, 06:51 AM
pikergolf's Avatar
pikergolf pikergolf is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
My hunting partner drives a Ford Fiesta. He gets hunting permission all the time, I think they feel sorry for him.
I drive a little Honda CRV, I get lots of yess as well. How much trouble can I get into driving that.
__________________
Hope is a powerful medicine.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:13 AM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 29,517
Default

I was refused permission once this fall because the landowner doesn't allow hunting on his property, and once because someone else was given permission a few days before me. I have asked by phone when I couldn't locate the landowners home on my map, but I prefer to ask in person. By asking in person the landowner gets to see who you are, and gets to see what kind of attitude you have, which can make the him more comfortable about granting permission. As well , since I am the person asking for something, I should be the one making all of the effort towards getting permission. The landowner should not have to go out of his way to do me a favor, so I don't expect him to be calling a complete stranger to grant permission.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:30 AM
gman1978 gman1978 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Were you driving a jacked up diesel?
This is funny, I know a farmer that automatically denies permission to anybody that drives a jacked up truck and wears a flat beaked hat!!! no kidding!!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:35 AM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 29,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
This is funny, I know a farmer that automatically denies permission to anybody that drives a jacked up truck and wears a flat beaked hat!!! no kidding!!!
And it really bothers some people that a landowner can deny access for whatever reason he chooses. It can be what you drive, what you wear, what you say, or even the color of your skin, when it comes to granting permission, the landowner can base his choice on whatever he chooses, and he doesn't have to explain his decision to anyone.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:41 AM
gman1978 gman1978 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And it really bothers some people that a landowner can deny access for whatever reason he chooses. It can be what you drive, what you wear, what you say, or even the color of your skin, when it comes to granting permission, the landowner can base his choice on whatever he chooses, and he doesn't have to explain his decision to anyone.
You bet!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Norwest Alta Norwest Alta is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And it really bothers some people that a landowner can deny access for whatever reason he chooses. It can be what you drive, what you wear, what you say, or even the color of your skin, when it comes to granting permission, the landowner can base his choice on whatever he chooses, and he doesn't have to explain his decision to anyone.
Shouldn’t have to explain his decision. Like most things first impression is paramount. Hat on backwards, pants hanging down to your knees, piercings everywhere and man buns should stay at home.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:47 AM
CaberTosser's Avatar
CaberTosser CaberTosser is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 14,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
This is funny, I know a farmer that automatically denies permission to anybody that drives a jacked up truck and wears a flat beaked hat!!! no kidding!!!
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well. Same would go for neck tattoos. If a person visibly shows that they’re not capable of good decisions it’s a valid reason to not let them hunt your land, hire them, etc because they’ll probably make some more bad decisions that screws something up for you. Flat brimmed ball caps are among the worst haberdashery decisions that can be made!
__________________
"The trouble with people idiot-proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot." Me
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:30 PM
neilsledder's Avatar
neilsledder neilsledder is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well. Same would go for neck tattoos. If a person visibly shows that they’re not capable of good decisions it’s a valid reason to not let them hunt your land, hire them, etc because they’ll probably make some more bad decisions that screws something up for you. Flat brimmed ball caps are among the worst haberdashery decisions that can be made!


Agree with you here!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:44 PM
JDK71 JDK71 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Shouldn’t have to explain his decision. Like most things first impression is paramount. Hat on backwards, pants hanging down to your knees, piercings everywhere and man buns should stay at home.
I am with you on that
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-10-2017, 12:49 PM
neilsledder's Avatar
neilsledder neilsledder is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was refused permission once this fall because the landowner doesn't allow hunting on his property, and once because someone else was given permission a few days before me. I have asked by phone when I couldn't locate the landowners home on my map, but I prefer to ask in person. By asking in person the landowner gets to see who you are, and gets to see what kind of attitude you have, which can make the him more comfortable about granting permission. As well , since I am the person asking for something, I should be the one making all of the effort towards getting permission. The landowner should not have to go out of his way to do me a favor, so I don't expect him to be calling a complete stranger to grant permission.


I would always ask in person also shows a bit more respect. Or if for what ever reason I did get permission over the phone I would go meet the people face to face before I did any hunting. And as always a pack of steaks or two and some jerky from the kill after the season is over


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Johnny Huntnfish Johnny Huntnfish is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 403
Default

Its millenials making these ads....guaranteed.....they use Kijiji for everything now along with all the other social networks to ask for permission. Its the least amount of effort to reach the largest amount of people....right up their alley.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:17 AM
angler1 angler1 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Drayton Valley
Posts: 221
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
All in the approach. Not looking like a knuckle draggeing rednceck is probably up there and not many rednecks drive fiestas lol
As a genuine redneck with 5 quarters of quality land "hunting" I do allow hunting with permission. However, if your knuckles ain"t draggin your chances are not so good. Maybe climb back in your Fiesta and beat it back to the city. Seriously though just be nice and i may grant you access. Just another country bumpkin.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:22 AM
stuckincity stuckincity is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,669
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well......
Sorry to be out-of-touch, but what's the significance of flat-brimmed ball caps?
Do only "certain types" wear them?

I have one with a Calgary Flames logo and now I don't know what to do with it.

I understand about neck tats.
__________________
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage, or working class flat, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares end up plowing for those who kept their swords."
- Benjamin Franklin
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 AM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 29,517
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
Its millenials making these ads....guaranteed.....they use Kijiji for everything now along with all the other social networks to ask for permission. Its the least amount of effort to reach the largest amount of people....right up their alley.
Pretty much my assessment as well. Some people want to eliminate the scouting, the seeking permission, and even patterning the animals. They want to show up where the animal is going to be , just before it arrives, then shoot it, and use as much technology as they can to clean the animal and remove it from the field ,as quickly, and with as little effort as possible. These people pretty much want to shoot game, rather than to hunt game.

Quote:
Sorry to be out-of-touch, but what's the significance of flat-brimmed ball caps?
Do only "certain types" wear them?
It's not so much about the cap, it's more about how people wear the cap. Look at how most farmers wear caps, and compare that to how most city people wear caps. Look at the direction the brim is pointed, and the shape of the brim.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-14-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM
ghostguy6's Avatar
ghostguy6 ghostguy6 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 1,534
Default

When I worked in the nightclubs the rule was " if its on Jersey Shore, its not coming through the door!", A few of the landowners I know have also adopted this policy. Seems to work quite well actually
__________________
Treat management like the person you just put into handcuffs. Treat them firm, fair and expect to be lied to excessively.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Sledhead71 Sledhead71 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 2,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The flat brimmed hat rule is a good one! If I owned huntable land that rule would apply on mine as well. Same would go for neck tattoos. If a person visibly shows that they’re not capable of good decisions it’s a valid reason to not let them hunt your land, hire them, etc because they’ll probably make some more bad decisions that screws something up for you. Flat brimmed ball caps are among the worst haberdashery decisions that can be made!
Very sad Caber.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-14-2017, 02:46 PM
mgvande's Avatar
mgvande mgvande is online now
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Western alberta
Posts: 1,054
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
All in the approach. Not looking like a knuckle draggeing rednceck is probably up there and not many rednecks drive fiestas lol
Crappy car and no camo is the way to go. Better chances than jack up diesel and camo.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-14-2017, 03:03 PM
Okotokian's Avatar
Okotokian Okotokian is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Uh, guess? :)
Posts: 26,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It's not so much about the cap, it's more about how people wear the cap. Look at how most farmers wear caps, and compare that to how most city people wear caps. Look at the direction the brim is pointed, and the shape of the brim.
So we're making character judgements on brim shape now? Clue in to the decade elk, Most young people wear flat brims now. They aren't all gang members.

In any event, it's not the guys that ask for permission that a land owner needs to worry about. It's the ones who don't.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
In this case Oki has cut to to the exact heart of the matter!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.