Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2018, 07:17 AM

Default Crown Land Sale Near Peace River

If you guys value your access to hunt and fish on Crown land you best make your views know to Jason Kenny and his team. There is a high likelihood they will form the next government and Kenny is already floating the idea of a massive land auction of Crown land near Peace River.

I am completely against selling any more Crown land. It was a bad idea under the previous Conservative Government under Stelmac and it is even worse idea now. If the conservatives move forward with this plan it hurts all of us that enjoy the outdoors. Write your conservative nominee and Kenny to tell them what you think.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:23 AM

I support the UCP but I can’t stand Kenney.

He’s an idiot
Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Does the OP have anything to back this up or just hearsay?

Sounds like an opportunity for people with nowhere to hunt to purchase their own hunting land as a tangible asset with appreciating values.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Would also like to see a source. There is an always increasing need and want for more land and space and Alberta has huge swaths of homogeneous land. So long as they can have a system that prevents huge farming corporations from buying all of it and making it so most anyone can have an opportunity at it like a lottery I think it's great. Cultivated land is dozens of times more productive in terms of wildlife and hunting opportunity anyways.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-team-ramps-up

Here is the Edmonton Journal version. I first saw it on a news feed from I don't remember where.

Just in case I wasn't clear;

I am a lifelong conservative and have been a Provincial and Federal party member for over 30 years. Jason’s proposed sale of Crown land is a desperate attempt to generate one time income. No matter how much money is raised it will NOT solve our budget problems. This is a bad short term idea that will result in even less Crown land than we have now. What next, do we keep selling Crown land till there is nothing left. Even if we do, we still won’t make a dent in the +10 billion a year deficit or the accumulated debt the Province has.

I supported Jason when he was running for the leadership and worked hard to make sure he was our constituencies vote. If Jason does not retract his support for this idea and start working on much better, long term, solutions then I was wrong and he is not the right guy to lead the next government. I would have to say that in my books this is a make or break issue. Jason and the party must not move forward with this idea.

To those of you that think turning all of our forests into farm land is a good idea, do you have any idea how much less net oxygen is made by farm land. I am dead against the carbon tax, but cutting down all the tress is a REALLY bad idea. CO2 needs to be processed back into oxygen.

On top of that, look at how many issues there are accessing Crown land that is under lease. It will get WAY worse if the land is completely private. Does very little good to produce more wildlife if only one or two people can access it.

There is already lots of private land people can buy if they want their own piece of hunting country. They don't need to sell off our childrens' futures for short term gain.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I support the UCP but I can’t stand Kenney.

He’s an idiot
That's why I'm voting Alberta Party.

Grizz
Old 11-23-2018, 08:24 AM

I'm surprised BHA isn't on this
Old 11-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Does the OP have anything to back this up or just hearsay?

Sounds like an opportunity for people with nowhere to hunt to purchase their own hunting land as a tangible asset with appreciating values.
IF you can afford to buy land. How many hunters are ready to drop the cash for 1/4 section of bush? Fanfrickintastic if you are, but the whole point of crown land is access for those that can't buy land. Otherwise we end up like Europe.

If this is real, and Kenny's idea, he is a bigger idiot than I thought.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 AM

Why do you guys think he's an idiot, or just don't like him and that's the descriptive word that springs to mind?

Last edited by Trochu; 11-23-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:49 AM

I've heard weird stories about this guy from a friend who works in Ottawa. It's here say, but I trust the info, and would not vote for Kenney. I'm a right leaning liberal, so will vote Alberta Party, and frankly would vote for Notley before I vote for that goof. That's how much the guy creeps me out.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:56 AM

Default Letter Sent to my UCP Candidate

Good Morning Nicole,

I wanted to write to you to let you know that as an Albertan, a member of the UCP, and a voter in your riding who supported you in your nomination contest, I am extremely concerned with the idea being considered, or possibly already made by Jason Kenney to have a one time sale of Crown Land in Northern Alberta. This is a make or break deal for myself and thousands of Albertans who enjoy the outdoors, and are already concerned about the closing and/or limiting of access to Crown Lands for recreational pursuits. The sale of this land will do very little in the big picture to address our deficit and debt. Once our land is sold, it can never be regained. This is short-sighted thinking and reflects negatively on Mr. Kenney, his caucus, and by extension yourself. If this goes ahead, I will be doing everything within my power to make it as widely known as possible to Albertans, including mobilizing Albertans to act across a 70K member hunting and fishing forum I moderate. It also goes without saying I will be transferring my vote, and everyone's I can convince, to another party that does not hold to this position. I would strongly urge you to lobby Mr Kenney, and others within your party to reject this idea. The Crown Lands of Alberta belong to your children, mine, and future generations; to sell it off is beyond asinine.

Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Kind Regards,
Old 11-23-2018, 09:02 AM

Hundred thousand acres is a very small area compared to the amount of crown land we have up here. I think I might know the area being considered. I'll go against popular opinion and give it a thumbs up.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:05 AM

How many hundreds of thousands of acres should be sold before it would be too much?
Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Hundred thousand acres is a very small area compared to the amount of crown land we have up here. I think I might know the area being considered. I'll go against popular opinion and give it a thumbs up.
X2. It’s all crown land up there. 100,000 acres is just a spec. Probably be less hunting competition on surrounding crown land as everyone will want to hunt on their own land.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
It's not necessarily 100,000 acres they are thinking of selling. That is how much was sold under the Stelmach government.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:20 AM

Approximately 60% of the province is crown land. I'm all for public recreation, hunting, hiking, camping, etc. but why not sell some of it off to open up the province a bit? Doesn't 60% of the province being composed of Crown Land seem a bit much? If they sell 100,00 acres, and my math is correct, that's a sell off of 0.1% of the approx. 98,127,722 acres of Crown Land in the province. I'm okay with this.

That being said, I don't want it just being sold to a foreign conglomerate, mega corporation, etc. Set a fair market price, people can enter their name, then it's a lottery draw, or some such.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Approximately 60% of the province is crown land. I'm all for public recreation, hunting, hiking, camping, etc. but why not sell some of it off to open up the province a bit? Doesn't 60% of the province being composed of Crown Land seem a bit much? If they sell 100,00 acres, and my math is correct, that's a sell off of 0.1% of the approx. 98,127,722 acres of Crown Land in the province. I'm okay with this.

That being said, I don't want it just being sold to a foreign conglomerate, mega corporation, etc. Set a fair market price, people can enter their name, then it's a lottery draw, or some such.
Your math only tells part of the story. Take out all the land that is under grazing lease, all the land you can't access any more except on foot, all the Provincial parks and no hunting areas, and the many thousands of acres being proposed to be closed to all but foot access and there is a hell of a lot of crown land that already isn't usable by the average guy. We need to fight to get back our access, not encourage more land sales of what is accessible.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...-team-ramps-up

Here is the Edmonton Journal version. I first saw it on a news feed from I don't remember where.

Just in case I wasn't clear;

I am a lifelong conservative and have been a Provincial and Federal party member for over 30 years. Jason’s proposed sale of Crown land is a desperate attempt to generate one time income. No matter how much money is raised it will NOT solve our budget problems. This is a bad short term idea that will result in even less Crown land than we have now. What next, do we keep selling Crown land till there is nothing left. Even if we do, we still won’t make a dent in the +10 billion a year deficit or the accumulated debt the Province has.

I supported Jason when he was running for the leadership and worked hard to make sure he was our constituencies vote. If Jason does not retract his support for this idea and start working on much better, long term, solutions then I was wrong and he is not the right guy to lead the next government. I would have to say that in my books this is a make or break issue. Jason and the party must not move forward with this idea.

To those of you that think turning all of our forests into farm land is a good idea, do you have any idea how much less net oxygen is made by farm land. I am dead against the carbon tax, but cutting down all the tress is a REALLY bad idea. CO2 needs to be processed back into oxygen.

On top of that, look at how many issues there are accessing Crown land that is under lease. It will get WAY worse if the land is completely private. Does very little good to produce more wildlife if only one or two people can access it.

There is already lots of private land people can buy if they want their own piece of hunting country. They don't need to sell off our childrens' futures for short term gain.
Post of the year. ^^^

This is a make or break issue. Talk to the media and the MLAs running in your riding.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:29 AM

Probably gets sold on public auction to the highest bidder as in the past. Any subsidies are a free trade irritant.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Your math only tells part of the story. Take out all the land that is under grazing lease, all the land you can't access any more except on foot, all the Provincial parks and no hunting areas, and the many thousands of acres being proposed to be closed to all but foot access and there is a hell of a lot of crown land that already isn't usable by the average guy. We need to fight to get back our access, not encourage more land sales of what is accessible.
Valid point.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
What issue do you have with being allowed foot access?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Not everyone is young enough and spry enough to walk back in a hundred or more Kilometers to enjoy some of the Castle River drainage. There are also a great many people who cannot haul out a moose or Elk on their backs from even ten miles back in. Foot access is a way of ensuring 98% of all people can never go there, without the political flack of a complete closure.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:27 AM

I 100% agree with Dean on this one. Once it's sold, it gone forever. I know it's not 100,000 acres but if it was....

Not sure what land is worth up there but even at $1,000 / acre the 100,000 would sell for 100 million. According to the 2018 budget total revenue is 48 billion so this would be a whole extra 0.2% (0.002). Think the budget would even notice? Not likely.

Not worth it. To sell enough to make any difference they would have to sell a whole lot. They would have to sell 5 million acres (at $1,000 per acre!!) to make a 10% difference in THIS YEARS budget and 5 million acres is about 3% of the land in all of Alberta.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffy71 View Post
I've heard weird stories about this guy from a friend who works in Ottawa. It's here say, but I trust the info, and would not vote for Kenney. I'm a right leaning liberal, so will vote Alberta Party, and frankly would vote for Notley before I vote for that goof. That's how much the guy creeps me out.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Knowing Dean, I don't think he has any particular issue with foot access beyond the fact that aged hunters, and those with impairments are limited in their access by this.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Knowing Dean, I don't think he has any particular issue with foot access beyond the fact that aged hunters, and those with impairments are limited in their access by this.
Then again, after seeing how badly atvs and 4x4s have torn up some of the trails where I used to hunt, if it's a choice of allowing motorized vehicles, just so some people can access the area, I agree with no motorized vehicle access. It all depends on the particular location.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Why do you guys think he's an idiot, or just don't like him and that's the descriptive word that springs to mind?
Used car salesman.

Grizz
Old 11-23-2018, 11:28 AM

One time sale sets a precedent and then it’s beomes two, three, four times till it’s all gone....not IMPRESSED UCP!!!

That’s what happens when a Federal candidate parachutes into a Province!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 11-23-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:31 AM

Good Morning RJ Sigurdson,

I wanted to write to you to let you know that as an Albertan, a member of the UCP, and a voter in your riding who supported you in your nomination contest, I am extremely pleased with the idea being considered, or possibly already made by Jason Kenney to have a onetime sale of Crown Land in Northern Alberta. I really hope Jason and the UPC party as a whole look at this throughout the entire province and consider the potential opportunity that is before your party. I believe that here is an abundance of resources that are wasted on mitigating and managing public and leased lands. Not only would the sale generate additional revenue, it would also reduce your staffing overhead that is required to manage these lands. The sale of this land will have a large impact on the big picture to address our deficit and debt. I believe that this is a step in the right direction for the province and his long term goals that have been set by Jason, his caucus, and by extension yourself. If this goes ahead, I will be doing everything within my power to make it as widely known as possible to Albertans, and get you as many supporters as possible. I would strongly urge you to lobby Mr Kenney, and others within your party to look at expanding this idea to other areas of the province. Alberta does not need to continue wasting time and resources managing public lands; by putting this land in the hands of private landowners, you will generate initial revenue and free up capital that is being spend managing it.
Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Kind Regards,
Old 11-23-2018, 11:32 AM

I have mixed feelings on this, I know of a couple of pure paradises that I would pay a decent price for if put up to auction and given a chance. Sadly when it comes down the crunch there are more than a few very large well connected farm families who would scoop this up in a heart beat, if they can outbid the Hutts.

Guess I need a sit down with my MLA to get the skinny on what might happen.