Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2019, 06:30 PM

Default Muzzle brake from US

I ordered a muzzle brake from kahntrol for my weatherby and had it shipped to a friends post box in Montana, having second thoughts now if I messed up and it won’t be allowed when he goes to bring it back across. Full disclosure, I’m up north and he is in the south so it was convenient to get it and kahntrol doesn’t ship to Canada. He also doesn’t have a PAL, but I can buy them online without a PAL either in Canada or the US.

Am I on the right track or did I mess up? Only reason I haven’t called the crossing yet is because past experience has been that what they tell me on the phone might not be the case at the time of crossing.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:46 PM

50 bucks for parts through prophet river

do that now your friend is in trouble shame on u
Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 AM

What does the $50 though prophet river get?! Surely not a quality brake...

And I’m asking if anyone has real knowledge before I choose to send it back or bring it across.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
What does the $50 though prophet river get?! Surely not a quality brake...

And I’m asking if anyone has real knowledge before I choose to send it back or bring it across.
That is there import cost for gun parts, plus shipping of course.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:47 AM

I ordered a Kahntrol brake last year and had it shipped USPS direct to me here in Canada no problem at all. You should have no issue bringing one of those over the line. Canada has no restriction on bringing them in and the US does not ITAR limit them Also, Kahntrol has a Canadian distributor http://www.bullseyelondon.com/

Last edited by Dean2; 03-08-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I ordered a Kahntrol brake last year and had it shipped USPS direct to me here in Canada no problem at all. You should have no issue bringing one of those over the line. Canada has no restriction on bringing them in and the US does not ITAR limit them
that appears to be correct at this time but for only CANUCKS BRINGING THEM BACK

here it is being imported by a USA CITIZEN &Being left behind, problems abound
Old 03-08-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
that appears to be correct at this time but for only CANUCKS BRINGING THEM BACK

here it is being imported by a USA CITIZEN &Being left behind, problems abound
My read is his buddy lives in Canada, has one of those postal box services in Montana, and goes down to pick up stuff. They use them to get the free shipping to the border. I have lots of buddies in Winnipeg and Southern B.C. that do the same.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-08-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM

I imported a muzzle brake from H&K through a US importer my only option, the brake cost $49.95 US + shipping + importing = $140 Can.

Prophet river would be your best bet
Old 03-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I imported a muzzle brake from H&K through a US importer my only option, the brake cost $49.95 US + shipping + importing = $140 Can.

Prophet river would be your best bet
This makes no sense. Just buy it from the Canadian Distributor if you are that worried. They are 150 Canadian, which is actually a hell of a deal because they are $150 U.S. from Kahntrol. There was no Canadian option when I bought mine.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I ordered a muzzle brake from kahntrol for my weatherby and had it shipped to a friends post box in Montana, having second thoughts now if I messed up and it won’t be allowed when he goes to bring it back across. Full disclosure, I’m up north and he is in the south so it was convenient to get it and kahntrol doesn’t ship to Canada. He also doesn’t have a PAL, but I can buy them online without a PAL either in Canada or the US.

Am I on the right track or did I mess up? Only reason I haven’t called the crossing yet is because past experience has been that what they tell me on the phone might not be the case at the time of crossing.
Importing this into Canada is not an issue. Declare the item at the Canadian side. The only issue, if it is an issue, is exporting from the USA. Canada controls the importation of stuff. The US controls the export of stuff (State and ITAR regulations prohibit the export of some but not all fire arm parts/accessories and value is also a factor). You paid somewhere in the neighbourhood of $149 USD? Someone ^^^ has indicated that brakes are not ITAR regulated Who were you going to call at "the crossing"? Not the Canadian side...

Having friends picks up gun parts in the US and delivering them to you in Canada is not something I would embark on...…………..and you're feeling the squeeze now.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
This makes no sense. Just buy it from the Canadian Distributor if you are that worried. They are 150 Canadian, which is actually a hell of a deal because they are $150 U.S. from Kahntrol. There was no Canadian option when I bought mine.
H&K has an exotic thread M13.5x1LH only option was from Australia or import from US there was no Can option
Old 03-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
H&K has an exotic thread M13.5x1LH only option was from Australia or import from US there was no Can option
Sorry, I was talking about the Kahntrol brake the OP asked about. In that specific case there is no need to pay a $50 import fee to anyone. For the one you bought, have no idea, never tried to buy one.

CNP

The only time you get checked leaving the states by U.S. officers is if they had set up some kind of special enforcement for some reason. I have never seen an outgoing check at the airport or a land crossing and I go go down there a lot.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I was talking about the Kahntrol brake the OP asked about. In that specific case there is no need to pay a $50 import fee to anyone. For the one you bought, have no idea, never tried to buy one.

CNP

The only time you get checked leaving the states by U.S. officers is if they had set up some kind of special enforcement for some reason. I have never seen an outgoing check at the airport or a land crossing and I go go down there a lot.
I've never experienced it as well. I have a shipping address in MT.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Go get it and on your way back, «*do you have anything to declare?*» nothing but groceries, no alcohol or tobacco either!

That simple

I go to the US once-twice a month and bring back way over what i can for just a round trip each time.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki-warrior View Post
Go get it and on your way back, «*do you have anything to declare?*» nothing but groceries, no alcohol or tobacco either!

That simple

I go to the US once-twice a month and bring back way over what i can for just a round trip each time.
No. Why not tell the truth? Why counsel others to lie? You work for the construction industry in QC
Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM

The makers of the vias brake was shipping to canada with a threaded adapter labeled as sprinkler heads.......just a thought
Old 03-08-2019, 06:25 PM

To clarify, yes my friend is from southern B.C. and works with me in the north. I will call the border to be sure before proceeding. Common sense says that it shouldn’t be an issue as I can buy the same part locally without any PAL so it shouldn’t be an issue, but then I got thinking, border services doesn’t even know how to spell common sense...lol.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll look into it further and report back
Old 03-08-2019, 06:59 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
I ordered a Kahntrol brake last year and had it shipped USPS direct to me here in Canada no problem at all. You should have no issue bringing one of those over the line. Canada has no restriction on bringing them in and the US does not ITAR limit them Also, Kahntrol has a Canadian distributor http://www.bullseyelondon.com/
Ditto. Ordered directly form Kahntrol, delivered to my door here in BC zero issues.

Seems you might be making something of a mountain out of a molehill here...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Ditto. Ordered directly form Kahntrol, delivered to my door here in BC zero issues.

Seems you might be making something of a mountain out of a molehill here...

Cheers,
Nog
I wanted to order direct from them but they don’t ship to Canada. Oh well, I’ll try and see what happens.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:45 AM

my understanding is that if it is a gun part it must go through a dealer that has an import licence, of course sprinkler heads are not gun parts

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I wanted to order direct from them but they don’t ship to Canada. Oh well, I’ll try and see what happens.
If you can send it back for a refund and buy it from their Canadian Dealer above you will says the 34% exchange rate as the Canadian dealer appears to list the brake for the same 149 dollars but in CDN funds.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 PM

Called the border crossing and he said it isn’t an issue as they are not a restricted item and don’t need any special license to purchase. I already bought it, otherwise I would have gone the Canadian route. For some reason when I searched where to buy the Canadian option I never noticed. If the border gives any grief I can return it and buy from the Canadian site.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:07 AM
Banned

But why buying from US when you can get them on AO?..Just saying.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenwar View Post
But why buying from US when you can get them on AO?..Just saying.
Link please
Old 03-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Called the border crossing and he said it isn’t an issue as they are not a restricted item and don’t need any special license to purchase. I already bought it, otherwise I would have gone the Canadian route. For some reason when I searched where to buy the Canadian option I never noticed. If the border gives any grief I can return it and buy from the Canadian site.
which border crossing, the USA side is the one to watch out for and by the way

THE CANUCK BORDER CO-OPERATES WITH THE USA BORDER AND CAN WALK YOU BACK IF THEY ARE IN A BAD MOOD, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE STOPPED BY THE USA SIDE TO BE IN TROUBLE

Cement Bench
Old 03-10-2019, 10:47 AM

OP.

You have to abide by the rules on both sides of the border.
The USofA has some pretty strict rules surround gun part exporting, without all the I’s and T’s looked after.
Failing to satisfy the American rules and your buddy just might get Persona Non Gratus status for his efforts.

Asking the CBSA about import rules is only doing 50% of what is required.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Guys, instead of scaring the hell out of the OP, check the ITAR rules if you want to opine. Muzzle Brakes are NOT ITAR restricted for Canadian consumer purchasers buying them in the States and bringing them home. On top of that Kahntrol as the manufacturer is clearly ITAR registered and has export rights commercially as they have a Canadian distributor.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-10-2019 at 11:18 AM.