Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Default Warming up a Diesel truck

I am new to the diesel community and when I drive to work its about 15 minutes of stop and go through the city. The truck doesn't come up to full temp even when its zero, my drive is over half finished when the cab starts to warm up. Are there any tip of tricks for holding more heat in the engine or heating it faster. Would using the exhaust break help?
I really don't want to let it ideal for extended times as I was told this is harder on the new diesels. (F350 2017)
The dealer also said that this new trucks where designed for this on-off operation. Is there any validity in those dealer statements?
Or am I fussing also about nothing?
Old 10-27-2019, 07:39 AM
Banned

Put a winter front on it, that will help. Installing a timed heater that works great as well. I just installed one for a friend with a dodge Cummins. I think he payed $900 for it. It was an espar heater

Last edited by RZR; 10-27-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:40 AM

Keep it plugged or install an Espar/Webasto heater with a timer.

I don’t think running it against an exhaust brake would be good for it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 10-27-2019, 07:47 AM

Could install an inline coolant heater to help warm your truck engine like a block heater does. They get really really hot, so that would help your truck get hot fair faster.

Or mentioned earlier put a cover on the grill.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:59 AM
Banned

As for the initial morning start up, IMO, there is nothing better than an oil pan heater, designed for sump capacity. Heat rises and the whole eng. is warmed. Had one on my plane and in sev hours the oil ran off the dipstick like water.
Not sure if you have plugins at work...????. Your present situation is not ideal for a diesel and short runs..
Old 10-27-2019, 08:02 AM

Wouldn't worry much about letting it idle, remote start and give it 15 minutes. Block heater on timer, in line heater would work better.

I would be taking the truck on longer trips to get the temps up. Short trips on any vehicle in the winter is hard on them. Pull oil filler cap off and see the moisture inside of it.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
As for the initial morning start up, IMO, there is nothing better than an oil pan heater, designed for sump capacity. Heat rises and the whole eng. is warmed. Had one on my plane and in sev hours the oil ran off the dipstick like water.
Not sure if you have plugins at work...????. Your present situation is not ideal for a diesel and short runs..

Diesels are not made for short little stops and runs. I do not drive mine in the city, rarely gets up to operating temps in fall, never mind winter when its -30 outside......
Old 10-27-2019, 08:27 AM

Diesels have never reacted great to being “grocery getters” it’s hard on carbon buildup and cylinder wash as it can’t get up to operating temperature in short drives. Even more so with the new trucks now, they don’t recommend idling them for extended periods of time but they do recommend when u get in, to drive it long enough to get up to operating temp but then keep driving it for a bit while at operating temp or your filter in your exhaust has a greater chance of plugging up which is an expensive repair, as well as other parts in that system. Take a longer route to work in the morning or buy yourself a gas truck for your grocery getter and save yourself the headache.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:38 AM

As mentioned already, a winter front. Get a good one that goes behind the grille right on the radiator. These work the best. Also mentioned, silicone pan heater. I have one on the engine oil pan and one on the transmission pan so that it's getting a head start and not having stiff fluid to try to pump in the extremes.
A circulating water heater is the best for the engine (second to the Espar system) It really gets the whole engine hot. 25 years ago I had a 92 7.3L diesel and I put a circulating heater on it along with the block heater and when I'd turn the key on before starting the engine the temp needle would already be up a little.(still lived at home and didn't pay the power bill)
Be sure to take it out on the freeway at least once a week for a good 1/2 hour or more drive at least to properly allow it to do its regen of the exhaust system.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:42 AM

As others have said.....
1. Winter front
2. Espar
3. Delete it, you will do this eventually.
4. Buy gas car for short commute

Never ever believe the dealership.

Just do number 3 and idle it.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:51 AM

When you start the engine in the morning if it doesn't have a high idle setting, use your snow brush against the seat or similar. Get the engine warming up at 1000-1100 rpm and it will warm up much quicker and be a lot better for it. This is especially true if it is a newer diesel with the dpf filters or similar. Less soot and cleaner burning off idle.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:53 AM

DO NOT delete until you are off warranty. The rest of the advice re heater and winter fronts etc is good.

The one not mentioned, once you have some heat in the motor run the truck in 2nd or 3rd, even on an automatic, so you are running a few more Revs while you are around town. Better engine braking and it will warm up quite a bit faster.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Diesel

Move to the suburbs and let it high idle for 40 mins at 0600hrs. Seems to work well in my neighbourhood.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
Move to the suburbs and let it high idle for 40 mins at 0600hrs. Seems to work well in my neighbourhood.
Yeah, mine too. Some *ahem* gentleman with his diesel Dodge makes sure everyone in the neighbourhood is awake at 0500.

Contrary to popular belief, diesel engines in pickups used for town runabouts do not enhance ones male ‘endowment’. Long trips, heavy loads, or towing on the highway is where they have value.....and filling motels with diesel exhaust on cold winter mornings. They excel at that!

Oh, and Purple Farmer is right - if a salesman tells you it’s raining, there’s a 90% chance he’s peeing on your head.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmai View Post
This is my truck and there is no other daily driver this is it, its my grocery getter, kid transporter, hit the gym mobile.

So I was thinking of ways to get the best manage the cooler months. To best protect this investment.

I don't want to be that guy but it seems that there is some idling in the cold.

As far at coolant heater as involved the espar etc they all seem to be fuel fired are there electric ones? Will 120V electric heater generate enough heat to warm the engine?

The oil pan heater and trans heater seem simple enough. Oil pan heater is that not the same as a block heater?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
As others have said.....
1. Winter front
2. Espar

number 4 or take the long way to work . idling excessively is marginally helpful and as mentioned , will po the neighbors .

i know of one salesman that talked a friend of mine out of buying a diesel once he asked my friend what he needed the vehicle for . unfortunately salesman like that are rare .

Last edited by liar; 10-27-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
This is my truck and there is no other daily driver this is it, its my grocery getter, kid transporter, hit the gym mobile.

So I was thinking of ways to get the best manage the cooler months. To best protect this investment.

I don't want to be that guy but it seems that there is some idling in the cold.

As far at coolant heater as involved the espar etc they all seem to be fuel fired are there electric ones? Will 120V electric heater generate enough heat to warm the engine?

The oil pan heater and trans heater seem simple enough. Oil pan heater is that not the same as a block heater?
There are electric circulating coolant heaters. Your average outside plug only has 15 Amps so you are going to be limited to one or two types of electric heaters. You can't plug in an in-car warmer, recirc and two pan or a block heaters on one circuit. The diesel fired heaters are great oif you use the truck where there is no power, If you can plug in at home and at work then the electrics are just fine and the Espar is expensive overkill. The electrics will get lots hot enough to do the job.

If I was Picking and what I use on my trucks, gas or diesel, is a block heater, non-recirc and an in-car warmer to keep the windows clear. The motor starts well at any temp, heats up MUCH sooner. Tranny, Transfer case , Diffs and that are all running synthetic so I don't worry about pre-heating those but I don't push them hard till they have some time to warm up running. Two or so million K on pickups, never had to do a motor, transfer case or Tranny.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Get one of those webasto or espar heaters. A friend has on on his service truck. Absolutely loves it. Sets it to come on before he leaves for work, truck is running temp warm when he hits the car starter and blowing hot air.

If I get back into a diesel, I will have one. Great for out hunting or sledding as I hear you can program them to come on while your out so you don't have that all day sit and have to start a cold engine 8 hrs or a few days later.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM

I have a 2012 Ram diesel. The factory block heater doesnt work unless it is below -15ish. But it works well when it is cold out.
- The winter front works well and helps with warm up time. But it wont be a miracle worker. I get good heat about 2km sooner.
- when it is cold out below -10 I will remote start my truck 5-10 minutes before I leave. Usually have heat within a couple of km. My commute is 18km.
- idling your truck isnt to bad with the Urea trucks, it will burn fuel like crazy.
- Yes using the exhaust break will help with warm up time.

I thought Ford had the electric heater in their cab for heat.

have yet to install a circulating heater might do it this year as it is sitting on my shelf.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:01 AM

I have a 2012 Ram diesel. The factory block heater doesnt work unless it is below -15ish. But it works well when it is cold out.
- The winter front works well and helps with warm up time. But it wont be a miracle worker. I get good heat about 2km sooner.
- when it is cold out below -10 I will remote start my truck 5-10 minutes before I leave. Usually have heat within a couple of km. My commute is 18km.
- idling your truck isnt to bad with the Urea trucks, it will burn fuel like crazy.

I have yet to install a circulating heater might do it this year as it is sitting on my shelf.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post

I have yet to install a circulating heater might do it this year as it is sitting on my shelf.
My Ford diesel has the supplemental electric heater that kicks in when it's below freezing. Quick cab heat but that doesn't help with getting up to operating temp.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:52 AM

10 mins of idling before you leave won’t hurt anything—especially in high idle—and you’ll have heat much faster. It’ll assist with your truck getting to full operating temperature as well.

Excessive idling and not using a diesel for its intended purpose is what hurts these things. Gotta get it good and warmed up and let ‘er eat with something heavy hooked up every once in awhile to keep the system clean and properly functioning. Them DPFs don’t like it when you don’t get things up to temp.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
As others have said.....
1. Winter front
2. Espar

I'd never own another diesel without an Espar. If I remember right mine uses 0.6 L/hr. Very small amount of fuel. When mounting, point the exhaust at the bottom of the oil pan to warm up the oil at the same time

Thanks Dean

Last edited by MountainTi; 10-27-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Curious why everyone calls Eberspacher heaters "Espars"? I guess its just one of those abbreviations that became the norm? My 3500 XD Sprinter had one installed from the factory, I'm fond of the thing and how it sounds like a mini jet-turbine when its running. Funny how I can smell the diesel exhaust smell from it but not from the actual engine exhaust.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Curious why everyone calls Eberspacher heaters "Espars"? I guess its just one of those abbreviations that became the norm? My 3500 XD Sprinter had one installed from the factory, I'm fond of the thing and how it sounds like a mini jet-turbine when its running. Funny how I can smell the diesel exhaust smell from it but not from the actual engine exhaust.
Eberspacher themselves use the term espar. Makes sense to me. You wouldn't smell your espar if it ran thru 800 pounds of exhaust system like your van does.
Old 10-27-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

There is a company called Espar and another called Eberspacher that make similar products. Apparently Ebesrspacher was first in 1930, made them for Porsche to preheat their gas air cooled engines. (Got to love Google) Originally said I had not idea who was first or which is better but Espar is the common one here in Canada. There is also Wabasco, Wallis and a few others.

https://esparparts.com/
Old 10-27-2019, 01:00 PM

Just a friendly reminder to guys with diesel fired heaters. It’s helpful to run them occasionally all year round. You will get longer service life out of it.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Just a friendly reminder to guys with diesel fired heaters. It’s helpful to run them occasionally all year round. You will get longer service life out of it.
This is 100% true. Should allow a full run cycle in the spring, summer and fall. Otherwise you might be in for a surprise when you actually need it come winter time.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:37 PM

Eberspacher is Espar, they have been in business since the Germans built the VW, that was the heater they used. Webasto is the competitor. They both have matching models, matching warranties, built much the same, pretty much nothing interchangeable though. Get whichever one happens to be on sale where ever. Once it hit 30-40 below though, the fuel lines freeze unless you have a heated tank and/or line. and you shud still have a pan htr if juice is available in the colder weather. There are some other brands out there, Webasto and Espar are the big boys on the block. Most of the others are more industrial oriented. There was one autostart system we have installed a few hundred of for Calfrac, total mental blank on the brand name though. They wanted them installed on a couple recently and we had trouble with the electrical system compatability as they use the J1939, but had to be updated to work on the newer system we are using. Didn't hear the outcome on that.

Temro, Kim Hotstart both make thermal operated circulating htrs and pan htrs, timer cords, battery htrs, stick-on pan htrs and a host of other stuff.

Artic Fox and Temro make stick on pan htrs, not to be used on a composite pan though, no oil leaks allowed either.. They work the best of the works for cold starting, and will heat the engine to a point, as heat rises. We put out a 20 ltr pan one nite, -34 deg, plugged in the next AM, 100 deg in 20 min. with a 300w htr.

You can also pull the pan and install an electric screw in style, if there is no provision for it, have to install a bushing.

Winterfronts are really not recommended by any manufacturer, but, they understand they have to be used up here when it hits freezing. Belly tarps are good for really cold weather as well.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Eberspacher is Espar, they have been in business since the Germans built the VW, that was the heater they used. Webasto is the competitor. They both have matching models, matching warranties, built much the same, pretty much nothing interchangeable though. Get whichever one happens to be on sale where ever. Once it hit 30-40 below though, the fuel lines freeze unless you have a heated tank and/or line. and you shud still have a pan htr if juice is available in the colder weather. There are some other brands out there, Webasto and Espar are the big boys on the block. Most of the others are more industrial oriented. There was one autostart system we have installed a few hundred of for Calfrac, total mental blank on the brand name though. They wanted them installed on a couple recently and we had trouble with the electrical system compatability as they use the J1939, but had to be updated to work on the newer system we are using. Didn't hear the outcome on that.

Temro, Kim Hotstart both make thermal operated circulating htrs and pan htrs, timer cords, battery htrs, stick-on pan htrs and a host of other stuff.

Artic Fox and Temro make stick on pan htrs, not to be used on a composite pan though, no oil leaks allowed either.. They work the best of the works for cold starting, and will heat the engine to a point, as heat rises. We put out a 20 ltr pan one nite, -34 deg, plugged in the next AM, 100 deg in 20 min. with a 300w htr.

You can also pull the pan and install an electric screw in style, if there is no provision for it, have to install a bushing.

Winterfronts are really not recommended by any manufacturer, but, they understand they have to be used up here when it hits freezing. Belly tarps are good for really cold weather as well.

Rams come with winterfronts from the factory.