Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-07-2020, 07:15 AM
Banned

Default Kitchen appliances

Good day everyone.

My renovation project is inevitably coming to the end, so, it is time to choose some kitchen appliances:

- wall mounted range hood
- slide in electric range

Price is important, but not critical. The house is on acreage, so reliability is a must. Don't want anything too sophisticated, the simpler the better.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
Good day everyone.

My renovation project is inevitably coming to the end, so, it is time to choose some kitchen appliances:

- wall mounted range hood
- slide in electric range

Price is important, but not critical. The house is on acreage, so reliability is a must. Don't want anything too sophisticated, the simpler the better.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
my wife forced me to get a gas range/stove years back and today I won't have it any other way
Old 11-07-2020, 07:57 AM

How about the new slide in drawer microwaves?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-07-2020, 07:58 AM

We have the dual fuel range/oven. Gas burners and the oven is electric. One of the burners is a Wok size and we use it quite a bit. Trail Appliances is where we bought all our appliances.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:21 AM

stay away from Samsung. Nothing but problems with my appliances.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
stay away from Samsung. Nothing but problems with my appliances.
x2

Never never never never ever ever ever buy Samsung appliances. Absolute garbage.

I also second the advice about a gas range. I'll never own anything else again. We had a GE that is excellent.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabetickripple View Post
stay away from samsung. Nothing but problems with my appliances.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:15 AM

Canadian appliance source in demo chuck or cow town

best prices I found. that dishwasher on another thread is on sale over 100,cheaper than anywhere else. 3 days delivery,to,Edmonton from cowtown warehouse
Old 11-07-2020, 09:57 AM

Have a look at Venta - hood for range fan. We finally have a fan that actually moves air out and hopefully keeps the kitchen ceiling cleaner. Gas is notorious for darkening the ceiling. Not a cheap purchase though.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
my wife forced me to get a gas range/stove years back and today I won't have it any other way
Gas stove is absolutely the best option, if it is possible. I have KitchenAide gas range in my Calgary house, and I love it. But my country house has no gas, so electric range only.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:03 AM
Banned

Wow, looks like Samsung has lots of fans. Thank you, guys!
Old 11-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
How about the new slide in drawer microwaves?
I decided to go traditional way - there is a designated microwave shelf in kitchen cabinet.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
Canadian appliance source in demo chuck or cow town...best prices I found.
It is good to know, thanks.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldguy View Post
Have a look at Venta - hood for range fan.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Canadian appliance source in demo chuck or cow town

best prices I found. that dishwasher on another thread is on sale over 100,cheaper than anywhere else. 3 days delivery,to,Edmonton from cowtown warehouse
Yeah I'd stay away from this **** store. Horror stories are endless and not worth the savings of $100.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:50 PM

Stay from LG. We’ve had nothing but problems with our range and their customer service isn’t great.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:31 PM

For the most part, you get what you pay for in terms of longevity. That said, the European stuff can require a fair bit of service.

In my opinion, the higher end American product lines give you a good balance of affordability and longevity.

If you're set on electric, consider and induction cook top.
Old 11-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
Yeah I'd stay away from this **** store. Horror stories are endless and not worth the savings of $100.
what stories
the machine should come in a box?
Old 11-07-2020, 05:08 PM

Like others have mentioned get an NG range if you can. Absolutely nothing worse than the glass top pieces of crap. Better off with the old style foil burners if you go electric
Old 11-07-2020, 05:36 PM

Our Wolf six burner gas rangetop is an awesome thing. The rest of our appliances are Jenn air which are holding up well after 10 years other than the dishwasher that we recently replaced with a Miele. So far, works great. Whirlpool, Jenn air, Maytag and Kitchen Aid I believe are all made my the same company with Jenn Air being the higher end of those for whatever reason I think. Definitely wouldn't have anything other than a gas range personally.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:07 AM

I'd also say gas cooktop and electric range - if your budget and cabinet spacing allows - get a wolf range. Sealed burner units are very nice. Easy on parts, pretty bullet proof, had a few over the years in home and never had any issues with them at all. Had to replace a few parts on one that was 10+ years old and the parts were cheap, on the shelf and real easy to swap out.

If you go the "commercial higher end" gas range - stay away from Bertazzoni - I have a 6 burner that has given me nothing but issues and can't get parts or service .... waste of $7000 or whatever was paid for it (previous owner of house).

I'm about to trash it and replace it with a Wolf. I have to get a 6 burner wider one and it has to match the "commercial appliances" I have so I'm stuck.

Dishwashers - I've also had higher end Bosch (be careful they have a low end line and a high end line) and Miele - currently a Bloomberg - all pretty good.

Fridges - I would say DON'T get a high end compressor commercial fridge (like a sub zero) for sure, they work fine, but not better compared to conventional - and when they do break it's massive $$$$ to fix - get a traditional one that has the "look" of a commercial. Not worth $8000 - a unit half that price (or even a third) will do the same thing (just needs to match other stuff I guess).

OVERALL - Best brands are Fisher/Paykel, Wolf, Viking, Miele, Bloomberg, and higher end Bosch - also hear good things about the really high end Kitchen Aid commercial series appliances.

I've had a number of houses (do a reno and move to the next one) and have seen the good bad and ugly.
Old 11-08-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabetickripple View Post
stay away from samsung. Nothing but problems with my appliances.
x1000
Old 11-08-2020, 05:27 AM

House was built in 1999, all whirlpool appliances, just replaced the fridge and dishwasher this summer, stove still going strong.

Have not heard much good about Samsung, even the sales rep steered us away from them saying they have had lots of complaints

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
OVERALL - Best brands are Fisher/Paykel, Wolf, Viking, Miele, Bloomberg, and higher end Bosch - also hear good things about the really high end Kitchen Aid commercial series appliances.

I've had a number of houses (do a reno and move to the next one) and have seen the good bad and ugly.
It is a very informative review. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Have not heard much good about Samsung, even the sales rep steered us away from them saying they have had lots of complaints
Just wanted to add my experience with Samsung.
One of my rental properties is equipped with pair of Samsung washer and drier. I bought in 2008 and they were used and abused during 12 years and still running well. Not too bad.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
what stories
the machine should come in a box?
Let's just say that they're not exactly a customer service oriented firm. https://www.bbb.org/ca/on/etobicoke/...stomer-reviews
Old 11-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENINC View Post
We bought there Dec 30 last year. Cafe 6 burner with dual ovens/ dual fuel.
Went into the store, didn’t order online. No problems. Had to be ordered but came in 18 days.....
Absolutely love, love, love, the new range.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:46 AM

Why the hate on Samsung? I think its the same as any brand, if you buy a mid-low grade appliance you are crossing your fingers the appliance will last.

We just did a complete over haul of appliances which included Samsung fridge french SS, Samsung slide in Induction Range, Miele SCVi dishwasher, Panasonic microwave and LG Washer & Dryer.

We had the Samsung induction range (older model) in our previous house and absolutely loved it. Be careful with the Miele dishwashers as this a German brand and drain hoses will need to be changed to fit 3/4". Only certain appliance techs can install this brand.

Lots of biased reviews out there. Do your research and try and ween out the weener comments. Good luck in your hunt!