Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2020, 08:51 PM

Default Gretzky rookie card

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...milestone.html
Old 12-07-2020, 10:30 PM

Huh, I have two of them and both were looked at about 15 years ago and they are not even in same stratosphere as that one in price. They aren't "mint" but close. Maybe time to get them looked at again.

One of my uncles used to collect hockey cards from the late 70's, when I was about 8 yrs old he gave me 3 shoe boxes that were packed full of hockey cards.

I have his autographed Titan stick too. A buddy used to live two doors down from Messier in St.Albert and had a TON of autographed Oilers stuff. I traded him a radar detector for the stick, think I did ok on that one

Wounder what makes that card so special? Guessing condition.

IMG_2852.jpg

IMG_2853.jpg

IMG_2854.jpg
Old 12-08-2020, 05:20 AM

Condition is everything

I have Guy Lafleurs
Old 12-08-2020, 08:37 AM

I collect comics and it’s all about condition and grade. These Gretzky cards you have, I’d get them graded professionally. Takes the doubt away from value and condition. Hold them - they will only appreciate in value (I.e. when the great one passes away these will increase in value)
Old 12-08-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post

Wounder what makes that card so special? Guessing condition.
Without a doubt it's condition.

"All the 1979 O-Pee-Chee cards that have ever been graded, only two of them have ever earned 10 status, and this is one of those two.”

It's at $675k with two days left. It's a fine line though, they also have a 9 for sale, it's at $65k. For those gamblers out there though, they have two unopened 1979 48 pack boxes for sale, only $80k. One could contain a mint Gretzky rookie card.
Old 12-08-2020, 09:44 AM

So many of us collected the cards as kids for those crappy sticks of gum, traded some, threw many out. Had all the oiler great rookie cards at one time or the other as kids. If we only knew back then.

Just like my Oma's large container of 60's and 70's hot wheels. They "disappeared" one day. Sucked to be on the younger side of the family. Someone smarter and older on the second husband's side figured out that box of cars may have a few gems first.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:34 AM

If in doubt on the value, put them in your safety deposit box!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

"All the 1979 O-Pee-Chee cards that have ever been graded, only two of them have ever earned 10 status, and this is one of those two.”

It's at $675k with two days left. It's a fine line though, they also have a 9 for sale, it's at $65k. For those gamblers out there though, they have two unopened 1979 48 pack boxes for sale, only $80k. One could contain a mint Gretzky rookie card.
dam eh...I heard it will go for over 1 mill...wish I never played those hockey card games...knockdowns, topsies, closies etc at school....when my son started collecting cards they all got put away as in collections...mint. Maybe he is rich and doesn't even know it

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-08-2020, 10:40 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Condition is everything

I have Guy Lafleurs
hmmm couldn't even give that away

Old 12-08-2020, 11:00 AM

There is also 2 kinds of the cards. A lot of people end up with the Tops version, which isn’t worth a lot. I used to collect them as a child, which was a long time ago. My Mom was a collector of a lot of things. . .$2 bills (we have 20 in sequence in pristine condition, which are worth about $40 for a little while yet), plates you hang on the walls, figurines, etc. When she passed and I was going through all of her stuff, low and behold she saved an entire set from 1979 including 2 O-Pee-Chee ones in protective sleeves. Never had them valued. I might some day. For now I just see my Mom smiling at me when I think about them.

Cheers.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:08 AM

I have a lot of cards myself with my Lemieux and Messier rookie as headliners. Pretty much own every card from 79-84 but condition for some of mine are lacking.

Always think about selling but don't want to be ripped off!!!!!
Old 12-08-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This coming from a Canucks fan, who likely thinks Stan Smyl walked on water.

BW
Old 12-08-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
So true! Lol

My Doug Favell card is my fav
Old 12-08-2020, 01:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post
There is also 2 kinds of the cards. A lot of people end up with the Tops version, which isn’t worth a lot. I used to collect them as a child, which was a long time ago. My Mom was a collector of a lot of things. . .$2 bills (we have 20 in sequence in pristine condition, which are worth about $40 for a little while yet), plates you hang on the walls, figurines, etc. When she passed and I was going through all of her stuff, low and behold she saved an entire set from 1979 including 2 O-Pee-Chee ones in protective sleeves. Never had them valued. I might some day. For now I just see my Mom smiling at me when I think about them.

Cheers.
that's awesome.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:56 PM

Don’t even know what I have hidden away in a box but still have lots of hockey cards I collected as a kid
Old 12-08-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
This coming from a Canucks fan, who likely thinks Stan Smyl walked on water.

BW
yup...Steamer was a tuff bugger...5'8" 200lbs ya didn't know what was going on until it was over...

Old 12-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Anyone get cards graded? I have 2 O-PEE rookie cards, both are in good shape. The one has the rough cut along the side described in the article.
Old 12-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco22 View Post

Cheers.
Hell of a story. Made me smile, too
Old 12-08-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Anyone get cards graded? I have 2 O-PEE rookie cards, both are in good shape. The one has the rough cut along the side described in the article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
. Are they Gretzky.
I collect PSA hockey cards. I have about 3000 cards and been doing this for years.
Most times you think a card is in good shape and you send it to California and it will come back as a seven or an eight. PSa is very good at what they do. I’ve bought hundreds off EBay and cracked the case open and sent them in to re grade. Most times they come back the same. Been lucky a couple of times.
The card with the rough cut on it I wouldn’t bother grade it. Pm me if you need any info on grading.
Also a note it takes forever to get graded right now with this plague. I’ve got over a hundred to send out.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:22 PM

I have the remnants of his csrd that I ripped up as a kid because my brother hated the oilers. Kind of doubt assorted chunks have much value lol
Old 12-09-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
I have the remnants of his csrd that I ripped up as a kid because my brother hated the oilers. Kind of doubt assorted chunks have much value lol

funny chit right there
Old 12-09-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
. Are they Gretzky.
I collect PSA hockey cards. I have about 3000 cards and been doing this for years.
Most times you think a card is in good shape and you send it to California and it will come back as a seven or an eight. PSa is very good at what they do. I’ve bought hundreds off EBay and cracked the case open and sent them in to re grade. Most times they come back the same. Been lucky a couple of times.
The card with the rough cut on it I wouldn’t bother grade it. Pm me if you need any info on grading.
Also a note it takes forever to get graded right now with this plague. I’ve got over a hundred to send out.
What does it cost to get a card graded?
Old 12-09-2020, 03:39 PM

It's up to $800,000 with a day left.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Wasn't gretzky and his wife in some sort of betting scam? maybe it's another greasy gretzky scam, I mean no offense to greasy gretzky and those who adore the greasy great one and his greasy gretzky wife, but, they are kinda greasy.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Wasn't gretzky and his wife in some sort of betting scam? maybe it's another greasy gretzky scam, I mean no offense to greasy gretzky and those who adore the greasy great one and his greasy gretzky wife, but, they are kinda greasy.
Are you from cow town?
Old 12-09-2020, 05:57 PM

Default B+W pics

I have a dozen or so large B+W pic of 1950's hockey players and teams mostly Chicago ,Toronto and Montreal.They used to be redeemed for purchases of Quaker Oats cereal.I'd like to get them valued somewhere and not get ripped off.Hockey does not mean much to me.I quit watching in the early 70's.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:16 PM

My wife had a Gretzky rookie card when she was young, and she'd tell the tale about how her younger brother once discovered her stash of cards and took them to a collectibles shop and sold them. She'd tell the story every now and then, one of those things you razz your sibling about. Well on her last birthday she unwrapped a gift from him and it was a Gretzky rookie card in a collector case, she burst into tears

She made sure I put it in my gun vault.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 12-09-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
What does it cost to get a card graded?
It’s around 10 to 12 dollars per card and I believe you need to send a minimum of 20. Last time we sent over 200. You also can pay 50 or more for a card and get it graded really quick. I would do that for sure if I had a Orr rookie for instance. Very expensive hobby but I enjoy it. Don’t recommend sending to PSA right now. They are backed up real bad due to this plague
Old 12-09-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
I have a dozen or so large B+W pic of 1950's hockey players and teams mostly Chicago ,Toronto and Montreal.They used to be redeemed for purchases of Quaker Oats cereal.I'd like to get them valued somewhere and not get ripped off.Hockey does not mean much to me.I quit watching in the early 70's.
First thing I would do is research the player card on EBay and see what the graded cards are selling for. I’m not sure if I have them. The Beckett’s catalogue will tell you also. Great card shop called Wayne’s and he will give you an idea and he’s by west Ed mall. Then a professional can give you a price but that’s costly. EBay is the way to go and if you see your card and it’s a high grade and selling for a good buck you can then consider sending it to PSA or Beckett’s.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
What does this have to do with the OP's title?? Just move on