Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2021, 09:39 PM

Default Proposed changes and fees for pleasure craft

Have a read and your say at the link below.

A $15 fee to process an application to obtain a new PCL or to renew, transfer, or duplicate a PCL
Bringing grandfathered pleasure craft licences (no expiry) into a five-year validity period
Reducing the ten year validity period for licences to five years. Upon applying for a new, renewal, or updated licences, the validity period will be reduced from 10 years to 5 years.
Expanding the application of the Small Vessel Regulations to include:
all pleasure craft equipped with motors of 10 horsepower (7.5 kilowatts) or more, including personal watercraft, which are principally maintained or operated in Canada; and
all pleasure craft (including all power-driven and sail-alone vessels) above 6 metres in length, with the exception of human-powered (e.g. kayak, canoe, dragon boats).
Reducing the timeframe for owners to notify of a name or address change from 90 days to 30 days, and specify 30 days for the buyer to notify of a sale or transfer of a vessel.
Allowing for the easier cancellation of pleasure craft licences

https://letstalktransportation.ca/pcl
Old 01-11-2021, 10:03 PM

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 01-11-2021 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:13 AM

Sounds like a cash grab, pretty soon you will have to pay a user fee to swim in the lake or a fee tacked onto buying a life jacket.
Old 01-12-2021, 07:33 AM
Suspended User

More questionnaires to justify a decision already made. Got the notification of a bunch of others as well. Pretending to consult us on a done deal.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Is that how people get their post count up - just put a dot and post it?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-12-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
People make comments and then think twice about it and delete it.

More people should use this option. It’s a very good option .
Old 01-12-2021, 09:32 AM

Pretty soon you will need to buy a license to swim
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 AM

Default More taxes

So, I read all the information and commented in the survey. Most people have the same comments. This is just a massive tax grab. We already pay license fees on the truck, trailer, moorage fees, taxes on the fuel, GST/HST tax on a boat no mater how many times its sold, and the list goes on.

For guys like me who own and operate multiple boats this will be hundreds of dollars more ongoing operating costs. Will this make things safer or benefit anything? Nope.

The govt's comment how its "FREE" right now irks me. The whole department/system is currently funded by tax dollars. Its not free.

To beef up the department and add the infrastructure, people etc to manage, enforce, collect, this new tax grab will cost millions more tax dollars.

Fill out the survey, maybe email your MP and let him know your thoughts, it only takes five minutes.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:41 AM
Suspended User

The government is financially broke and needs more of my money because I'm not broke enough.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Lol. Nope.
I Don't really see a purpose it getting a post count up after 20?

There's a dot there because once you type a comment and publish it, you can't delete it completely. The post has to stay and there must be at least 1 character. Most do like I did and leave a period.

I posted a funny re-wording of the original link (which was of course broken because I totally changed the wording in the link) and the OP didn't like it and asked me to delete it.
So I did.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
People make comments and then think twice about it and delete it.

More people should use this option. It’s a very good option .
They should also read the entire page before they reply to some one.
Then they would see that someone else already did it with WAY less words.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:57 AM

Pure money grab. Plain and simple. We have enough laws just like current firearm laws. That if we actually had enforcement on them things will improve. Why do we need a new card? A new license? Have people actually out checking boats for life jackets and safety gear. Take the booze and hand out real fines just like they do for cars.

We are already taxed to death here and the majority just goes with it because it’s only another $20. We can afford to pay that for using the wilderness. Except that the money doesn’t stay with wilderness enhancement. Look at the costs of your fishing license. How much of it goes directly into fisheries enhancement
Old 01-13-2021, 01:48 PM

Nothing more than a cash grab, and that is exactly what I told them.

If these people spent as much time trying to figure out ways to save money as they do trying to get more, we'd be WAY better off.

Last edited by tri777; 01-13-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburbot View Post
Pure money grab. That if we actually had enforcement on them things will improve. Why do we need a new card? A new license? Have people actually out checking boats for life jackets and safety gear. Take the booze and hand out real fines just like they do for cars.
Absolutely agree with this. There is no enforcement. I see boats all the time that have no registration letters on them. There are boats with operators clearly consuming alcohol. Two summers ago I watched a group of people getting off a dock into a pontoon boat. All were holding cans of beer or plastic cups of something. One of the guys holding can of beer drove the boat away.

Same thing with careless operation, not following the right-of-way rules and so on.

Calls to the RCMP produce the usual excuses.

Get some enforcement on the water and then ask for more money to support it. I might agree then.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:25 PM

Yeah, maybe a cash grab, but for $15 for 5 years ….. it's not like it's extortion money.

And, if you read the link, I guess, even before this, we were paying for it anyways (through our tax dollars) collected out of general revenue.

At the end of the day, the beneficiaries (those who own pleasure crafts), are asked to pay for this registration. Makes sense to me.

I would rather this be free - but I'm also realistic and need to be reasonable. I have no issue with this.
Old 01-13-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Nothing more than a cash grab, and that is exactly what I told them.

If these people spent as much time trying to figure out ways to save money as they do trying to get more, we'd be WAY better off.
100% agree!!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:46 PM

I always thought it was odd they didn't charge for the license, since when did the government do anything for free.
Free for 10 years now $15 for five somebody must've realized the peons were getting something for free, it's nothing more than a money grab.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:12 AM

Im ok with the $15 for 5 years. I spend way more on maintenance and upkeep on a yearly basis for my boat. Nothing is ever free, paid for by taxes. I am with others and would like to see increased enforcement on the waters. I'm not even looking and can see infractions all day long. Give those guys the tickets and let them pay for the registry
Old 01-15-2021, 09:31 AM
Banned

I'm confused. Am I hearing that the Coast Guard- or whomever issues such documents- needs to be notified that a registered owner of a small vessel has moved?

Free